33 Dead As " Seven Dangerous Days " Of New Year's Break Begin: Thailand

webfact

One dead as holiday road danger period begins

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The first traffic death of the "seven dangerous days" of the New Year's break was reported last night just hours after the government launched its road safety campaign aimed at cutting casualties this season by 5 per cent.

An unnamed vendor based in Sing Buri, where fatalities this year have been limited by provincial authorities to only three, was killed when a vehicle she was riding in crashed with another vehicle in Muang district. No injuries have been reported.

Last year, 336 people died and 3,375 were injured in 3,093 accidents. A 5-per-cent reduction means no more than 320 deaths and 3,207 injuries.

The Road Safety Centre set up and run by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation was assigned to oversee six measures - coordination to reduce accidents, checkpoints focused on prevention, community checkpoints, road and road sign repairs, quick access for rescue teams to accident sites and quick transfers to hospitals, and more awareness campaigns for youths and workers.

Highway Police have put up extra checkpoints and will conduct more alcohol and speed checks on stretches of seven roads with the most accidents - Phaholyothin Road in Ayutthaya; Mittrapap Highway in Saraburi's Muak Lek district, Rama II Road in Samut Sakhon, Route 304 between Prachin Buri's Kabin Buri district and Nakhon Ratchasima's Pak Thong Chai district, Route 348 in Sa Kaew, and a northbound Highway 2 and southward Mittrapap Highway in Nakhon Ratchasima.

No passing will be allowed on these seven roads.

In Bangkok, 1,600 officers from Metropolitan Police have been deployed across the capital, while 10 ambulances and 300 medics have been put on standby for emergencies.

Governor Sukhumband Paribatra said the patrols would cover all transportation terminals, tourist attractions and areas at risk of crime and fire.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-28

First of 'seven dangerous New Year holidays' sees 33 killed, 322 injured

BANGKOK: -- The first of the seven "dangerous New Year holidays" saw a total 314 road accidents happen, resulting in 33 deaths and 322 injuries, the road safety management committee announced Monday.

Somchai Piputthawat, an advisor on transport business of the Transport Ministry, told a press conference that most or 33.44 per cent of the accidents happened on Thursday were caused by drunk driving, followed by speed limit violation (21.66 per cent).

Bangkokians or provincial people working in Bangkok started leaving the capital on Thursday, which was counted as the first of the seven dangerous days for the New Year holidays.

Chiang Mai was the province with the highest number of accidents or 20 accidents with the highest death toll of four and 17 injuries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-28

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a massive crash yesterday involving approx 10 cars. They were splayed on both sides of the highway & most were upside down/in people's premises. No doors appeared to be open and by the state of the vehicles/debris I can't believe there were no fatalities. This was on the main road between Chaam & Hua Hin - approx 3.30pm

Maybe try making the driving test for both bikes and cars to a better standard as the test the country has is a joke, stevie wonder could pass both of them. IMO this is the reason there are some many deaths on the roads here serious lack of education on road safety and pretty much everything else.

To add, I think annual car safety checks would help things. Whether it's broken or non-working tail lights, bat mobile black smoke emissions, or bald tires, it would definitely help. Although bribing your way out of the safety check is another story.

Speed regulators on any large commercial vehicles would also be nice. I cringe when seeing double decker tour busses fly by at over 120kph.

• Like 1

It's also just the lack of being logical while driving...many accidents could be avoided if people would keep at least 30 meters between each other.

Yesterday I had a few vans and buses drive at 5 meters from me...and I was going 110 km/h...

• Like 1

Maybe try making the driving test for both bikes and cars to a better standard as the test the country has is a joke, stevie wonder could pass both of them. IMO this is the reason there are some many deaths on the roads here serious lack of education on road safety and pretty much everything else.

Don't forget the went to tumboon at the temple, so they are safethumbsup.gif ...there's always some excuse for sloppy driving.

With you on your comments 1000 percent..

• Like 1

Its not just Thailand.

Check out road deaths in Uk,so far over the festive season.

They have a stringent testing process in place.

Yes, UK in 2011 approx 2,000 road deaths and population of 62,641,000, compared to around 12,000 in Thailand with a population of 69,518,555. Huge difference.

Well said... totally agree with you...

• Like 2

Its not just Thailand.

I read an article that says 7 have died in the UK since Christmas Eve.

Official figures for just yesterday in Thailand stand at 32.

I reckon if you have millions screaming around on mopeds on main roads in the UK the road toll would also be a lot higher there. Would like to see breakdown of statistics - passenger car accidents in both countries, for example. Around 90% of the accidents in Thailand involve bikes (mostly) and pickup trucks.

Yes there are more motorcycles in Thailand which is surely a reason to enforce the helmet laws isn't it?

Went through a traffic stop this morning and all the helmetless riders were being allowed through whilst they stopped and questioned a selection of car and lorry drivers.

MCOT

Road accidents kill 33 people. injure 322 others on Thursday December 27

Share on facebookShare on printShare on twitterShare on googleMore Sharing Services3

By Digital Media | 28 ธ.ค. 2555 10:17 | 25 views | View Comment

Road accidents kill 33 people. injure 322 others on Thursday December 27 - first of so-called Seven Dangerous Days: Road Safety Centre

Its not just Thailand.

I read an article that says 7 have died in the UK since Christmas Eve.

Official figures for just yesterday in Thailand stand at 32.

I reckon if you have millions screaming around on mopeds on main roads in the UK the road toll would also be a lot higher there. Would like to see breakdown of statistics - passenger car accidents in both countries, for example. Around 90% of the accidents in Thailand involve bikes (mostly) and pickup trucks.

Yes there are more motorcycles in Thailand which is surely a reason to enforce the helmet laws isn't it?

Went through a traffic stop this morning and all the helmetless riders were being allowed through whilst they stopped and questioned a selection of car and lorry drivers.

More tea money !!! LOL clap2.gifcheesy.gifw00t.gif