The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 12/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, champers said:

Recently, I reported that Shamalamadindong has closed. This will be opening at the location (no timeframe, sorry).

20171220_174307.jpg

For people that are in that area often (I'm not) could you please let us all know when this place actually opens? Thanks. As soon as it does, I'll be sure to check it out. 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

For people that are in that area often (I'm not) could you please let us all know when this place actually opens? Thanks. As soon as it does, I'll be sure to check it out. 

Will do. I go past everyday and there is always work being done. It is directly opposite Pizza Big.

• Like 1

Chef Tui Ranger

Slogan -- Because Food is Happiness of Mankind 

:post-4641-1156694572:!!!NEW!!!:post-4641-1156694572:

BBQ Pork RIBS specialty restaurant

Soi 5 (Immigration) Jomtien, right hand side, not far from Beach Road

Decently sized open aired joint with SIZZLING exciting signage, the different sizes of ribs are displayed in front near the grill. 

The cheapest smaller order is 220 including three very small cups of sides/sauce. 

Sizes and prices go up from there. 

Sides of potatoes and salads on offer as well for extra.

Also on offer low priced meat/chicken kebabs but it's clear this place is all about the pork ribs. 

This is a Thai style place.

Whether it's worth it depends on how good the ribs are. I haven't tried as yet. 

Maybe some of you will and report back. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2017 at 8:35 PM, bleble said:

For me it is perfectly clear. The only restaurant that will barbecue meat before your eyes.

Do you know any other places doing this apart from street sellers ?

What barbecue tradition do you know ? Barbecue is barbecue, I do not see anything else to think about ?! But I might be wrong.

Yes, you are wrong. 

BBQ is not BBQ.

There are many different regional styles.

I did stop into this new place, Firepork, at Avenue Mall tonight and they are now in a very soft opening phase. They don't have their main feature going yes, which will be KOREAN style pork BBQ but presumably with some kind of modern twist.

Yes, you heard it -- KOREAN STYLE.

They do have a menu now on offer of appetizers and novelty dishes, very much in the modern creative (frou frou trendy) Korean style. Not traditional dishes at all. There is also a Japanese fried chicken choice. I found the appetizer prices really high. Seems like a good candidate for EATIGO.COM for me anyway as for Korean I'd rather go to traditional places or to Bonchon specifically for Korean fried chicken (which btw Firepork won't be doing). 

It's not a chain. One of a kind. 

Maybe this gimmick will work for moneyed Thais to go along with the K Pop trend. I really can't see this being a hit with most expats and tourists.

But I might be wrong. :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 6:29 PM, champers said:

Recently, I reported that Shamalamadindong has closed. This will be opening at the location (no timeframe, sorry).

20171220_174307.jpg

This place is now open; directly opposite Pizza Big on Naklua Road.

Also on Naklua Road, the recently closed Coffee Club is being replaced by a branch of Thai Express. Work onsite is ongoing.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, champers said:

This place is now open; directly opposite Pizza Big on Naklua Road.

Also on Naklua Road, the recently closed Coffee Club is being replaced by a branch of Thai Express. Work onsite is ongoing.

And have you tried Yipinlou on third road near the junction where are located all the Thai bars/disco (shortcut to go to BigC) ?

Big Kahuna

In the old Pastrami and Rye place, same great chef. Had the bacon cheeseburger, patty was cooked fresh, not frozen. The bun was toasted to perfection.

Definitely a quality burger, good to see Jim back. I’ll definitely be back for more, probably try the pizza next.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, richsilver said:

I was there last night and I agree with Roger Lee.  The burger was quite good indeed.  I think they are off to a good start.

How about prices?       I liked the old P on R but thought his prices on the high side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

I had the burger yesterday too and like others said it was very tasty. Note that some burgers and sandwiches (not all) use a KC sauce which is quite spicy with a definite bite. Next time no sauce for me. Price was 285 which included a Coke, burger, and your choice of BBQ beans, potato salad or fries. The fries were not special. Also note their liquor license is still being processed so no alcohol. 

So it is just a burger place ? Another champion decided to fail again and again ?!

9 hours ago, dpdp said:

So it is just a burger place ? Another champion decided to fail again and again ?!

Not hardly. Sandwiches, burgers, pizzas, breafast with the current focus on breakfast and lunch as they currently close at 7.  They will be adding their own delivery service and Thai menu. 

12 hours ago, champers said:

Is there anything Hawaiian themed? Hawaiian pizza, I imagine, but any other dishes?

I’m certainly not an expert on Hawaiian themed.  Ambience and decorum looks Hawaiian as does the menu with the names of the offerings.  I did have a slice of pineapple next to my burger if that counts.

Seriously, Big Kahuna is a nice touch but I enjoyed the food even more. :-)

19 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

He has sandwiches and pizza, along with an excellent breakfast menu.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, at least some items are "Hawaiian."  The breakfast menu includes n omelette made with spam (national Hawaiian food item) and pineapple, among other stuff....several other breakfast items. The pizza is very good.   Nice staff too.   Give the place a try.

• Like 1

MA-LA Craze

Not an actual restaurant visit/review but a note to keep an eye out for the new Thai restaurant craze of MA-LA (Chinese for spicy)

Basically a bbq type restaurant with spicy Szechuan pepper sauce on various things on skewer and of course Szechuan pepper soup.

This trend were first around Northern Thailand and is now everywhere in Bangkok, most are outdoor type like a all you can eat BBQ place, with probably cheap and not very good quality ingredients, but hey, if you want tingly MA-LA Szechuan pepper, they've got it. 

It's only a matter of time when one opens in Pattaya

• Like 1