The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

2 hours ago, The manic said:

does anybody know where to get Crispy  Peking Duck with pancakes st al on Pattaya? lNot Cantonese roast duck. Even in Bangkok I only know the 4 seasons, im the Paragon , a London based outfit....not related to the hotel.

You may want to try Huang Chao in the Royal Cliff Hotel in Pratumnak Hill.  It won't be cheap but real Peking Duck never is cheap.

peking duck.jpg

• Thanks 1

Tim Ho Wan is great.  Let's hope it's the full menu version of the restaurant like the one that used to be at Grand Indonesia mall in Jakarta.  The Tim Ho Wan at T21 in Bangkok only has a partial menu.

Not really fair to compare Hawker Chan with Tim Ho Wan.  A meal at Hawker Chan will run you just north of 100 baht.  Each plate of dim sum at Tim Ho Wan is over 100 baht.  I'll still be going to both at T21 if they are both there.
It seems obvious that if Tim Ho Wan opens there that it won't be more expanded than the Bangkok one. Yes it's an expensive experience but well worth it.

I don't consider a plate of Hawker chicken rice a full meal. I suggest adding stuff like a side of the char sui and their Thai style fried tofu.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you like Thai barbeque buffets we always go to the one near the bus station and across the street on Pattaya Nua.  Great value at 199 baht and lots of variety.  

It is called Nai Por.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4005864-Reviews-NAI_POR_Inter_Buffet-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by lapd
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlexCanada said:

You may want to try Huang Chao in the Royal Cliff Hotel in Pratumnak Hill.  It won't be cheap but real Peking Duck never is cheap.

peking duck.jpg

Yeah thats the only place i know. When in london the take away  place charge about six quid for a small portion, pancakes, sauce and greens but I've never had it in pats so don't know the price. I suspect the Royal Cliff in Pattaya only does large portions more suitable for sharing than eating alone. 

Edited by The manic
  • Like 1

Doriwon

https://www.facebook.com/doriwonthailand

A newish Korean restaurant in the "Korean food mall" at the  Burger King, North Pattaya

My regular Korean joint for soups and bibimbap is the place called "Korean Restaurant" on the other side from Doriwon so I'll compare them.

The reception at Doriwon was kind of odd. Was presented with a  non-English menu even though I know they have an English menu. So I asked for the English menu. It doesn't match the other one as far as dish numbers, dish names, and pictures which I think is kind  of stupid. So I had a hard time figuring out what's what.

Aside from the expected meat BBQ choices they do have a large selection of soups which is great if you can figure out what they are. Three choices of bibimbap in hot stone -- spicy cuttlefish, pork, or raw beef.

I went with the spicy shredded beef soup Yukgaejang (240) which includes banchan and Japanese style white rice. The quality of the banchan was very good but very small portions and refills were not offered. I eventually  asked for a refill of basic cabbage kimchi which was granted but I was still annoyed by their lack of offering it. The soup was excellent and a culinary level up from "Korean Restaurant". The banchan at both places is competitive in quality but at "Korean Restaurant" the portions are larger and it also includes a large piece of fish which is amazing for the prices. I've seen similar pieces of fish sold at  Japenese restaurants for 100 baht plus.

At "Korean Restaurant" when ordering their only choice of not sizzling stone bibimbap it also includes an excellent bowl of spicy bean paste soup. I don't know if Doriwon offers similar but I doubt it.

At "Korean Restaurant" they offer a large jug of free drinking water. At Doriwon only a small glass.

Both places offer free watermelon for dessert but predictably the portion is smaller at Doriwon.

Quite obviously Doriwon doesn't offer as much (for similar prices) than "Korean Restaurant" but the choice between the two isn't as cut and dried as it may seem.

As I said, the soup quality was better at Doriwon and Doriwon offers sizzling stone bibimbap. I will definitely return at least to try their bibimbap. 

Edited by Jingthing

The Jin Sung restaurant in the little Korea , I went  about three weeks ago, on the south side of the "mall". I ordered the meats platter for two, the friendly owner came by and cooked it for us and cut to slices, there were all the usual sides and everything was excellent, sides were replenished all the time. Price was I think average for places like this. 

Menu and most of clientele was Korean (I think there was English menu too, can't remember), nicely behaved folks. Will be back when I get the craving again. The area is a welcome addition to Pattaya, parking at the soi going to holiday inn.

https://goo.gl/maps/ToW7ZCRUKJJ2

• Thanks 2

Years ago I used to go to Jin Sung. Back then their banchan (side dish) offerings were paltry which is why I switched to Korea Restaurant. But that may well have changed and I also noticed they greatly expanded their non-BBQ meats menu, such as soups. I should probably give them another try. My least favorite Korean place there is called Bibimbap, a chain from Bangkok. But that place is very accessible to non-Koreans. We are definitely spoiled for choice here for some national cuisine types such as Korean.

Still for me it's hard for me to pass up that "free" fish at Korean Restaurant.

Edited by Jingthing

Some fun details to add.

Doriwon offers chicken ginseng soup for 450 which is a fair price if it's good and most places don't have it.

Korean restaurant offers a spicy pork ribs stew with tubular rice cakes for 300. It's good but I would much prefer that dish with beef ribs which is a more famous dish that would of course be more expensive. They don't have it and I know of no local Korean place that does.

If you know a place that serves it please post.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

MAJOR NEW FOOD FIND! :partytime2:

FOOD STREET

At the A-1 Hotel

Soi 3 (not far from Beach road) 

North Pattaya

Higher end dim sum (and so much more for surprisingly friendly prices). This is a higher end food food court concept with popular prices. You pay for a card and add a 40 baht card deposit and then you are helped by the staff at the stations. Don't fight it, that's their job. For example, if you want to put 300 on your card, pay 340. You get a refund plus the deposit like any food court system. You order at the various stations and the food is brought to your table. It's a more elegant food court experience.

It's the kind of place that when you first see it looks like it's going to be a tourist trap rip off. But it's not. For example, Drinking water -- 15 baht.

Aside from the DIM SUM (in my view the big, big news part of it) there are various other stations including Chinese BBQ, Pizza/Pasta, Chinese herbal soups, Japanese in different styles, Thai desserts, and of course drinks. 

I tried five different types of dim sum. Good stuff! I think easily the best you're going to get in Pattaya at their price point.  The highlight was the green one with chives. BTW, and this is a big deal -- the dim sum is cooked to order fresh for you. That makes a huge difference with the fried items which can be totally disgusting if they sit around. 

I did ask but probably would have come anyway -- got dipping sauces including soy sauce, vinegar, and honey. They even brought a hot spicy paste sauce as well. (If they don't and you want it, ask, they're eager to please!)

IMG_20180819_181939.jpg.9e947bbc5735a53c9b766198bb6d034c.jpg  IMG_20180819_182013.jpg.4c223b70a93cc3121061d290f9964c6a.jpg  IMG_20180819_182011.jpg.990fa1af75f0026bc16528ab79d28175.jpg  IMG_20180819_182131.jpg.101d8d8f39129ceef84c3d8b6e35a1a7.jpg  IMG_20180819_183532.jpg.25da28452bb9ada3e56b34b4355401f8.jpg

Here is most of the sophisticated dim sum menu --

Steamed scallop dumpling 60
Steamed shrimp wonton dumpling 80
Steamed minced pork wonton dumpling 60
Steamed prawn chili garlic 60
Deep fried stuffed shrimp minced pork 80
Steamed fish soya sauce, 50
Steamed seaweed wrapped shrimp 50
Xio long Bao Shanghai 60
Deep fried carrot style taro custard 60
Steamed garlic chive dumpling 60
Steamed noodle roll hk shrimp 80
Deep fried sheet tofu pork shrimp 80
Deep fried crispy taro w pork curry sauce 40
Deep fried sesame stuffed egg yolk 60
Deep fried sweet potato stuffed sesame 40
Fried turnip cake 40
Deep fried pumpkin style w cream 60
Steamed bun red pork 60
Steamed crab meat wonton dumpling 80
Steamed crab Sculls curry powder sauce 60
Steamed buns egg yolk 60

Good  info 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is Gregs kitchen still open? It's moved twice and I can't find any information on it. 

No. His last location was on Naklua Road near Soi 14 and he didn't have enough customers to have a proper business so closed.

Greg did go working for a popuĺar expat restaurant/bar on Soi Boukaow but was not happy with the quality of ingredients. That was a couple of years ago. I don't have more up to date info; I hope others do.

• Sad 1

The former good quality Iranian restaurant and buffet on 2nd road near Hard Rock appears to be transforming into a Chinese restaurant.

Noticed another Chinese restaurant near Hollywood disco North Pattaya. There is no English menu but pictures and friendly helpful English speaking staff. They have a number of Sichuan style dishes including Mala (hot and numbing) lamb sticks for 50 baht each and Mala fish hot pot for 410 which is about the standard price here for that. I haven't eaten there yet but if you do please post about it.

Yes the trend continues.

Russian restaurants out. Nyet on borscht on every street.

Indian restaurants in at an almost shocking rate.

Chinese trending up too but nowhere near as quickly as Indian but who knows what the future will bring.

Personally I like these trends!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, champers said:

No. His last location was on Naklua Road near Soi 14 and he didn't have enough customers to have a proper business so closed.

Greg did go working for a popuĺar expat restaurant/bar on Soi Boukaow but was not happy with the quality of ingredients. That was a couple of years ago. I don't have more up to date info; I hope others do.

He now has a place out on the lake. It's called Little House Cafe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The former good quality Iranian restaurant and buffet on 2nd road near Hard Rock appears to be transforming into a Chinese restaurant.

Noticed another Chinese restaurant near Hollywood disco North Pattaya. There is no English menu but pictures and friendly helpful English speaking staff. They have a number of Sichuan style dishes including Mala (hot and numbing) lamb sticks for 50 baht each and Mala fish hot pot for 410 which is about the standard price here for that. I haven't eaten there yet but if you do please post about it.

Yes the trend continues.

Russian restaurants out. Nyet on borscht on every street.

Indian restaurants in at an almost shocking rate.

Chinese trending up too but nowhere near as quickly as Indian but who knows what the future will bring.

Personally I like these trends!

hello, can I know what would be the best value/price Indian in town now, for someone who is not expert but just want to eat something ok and not overpriced ? Thanks.

Jingthing and others who enjoy food from new Chinese/Asian places in town will be happy the next years but western places are going to close pretty soon if the Chinese invasion continues. And that worries me. Still some decent German, French and Italian places around but also several are closing their doors.

Yes that is true. There will probably be some kind of shakeout of some western places. But I think Italian food pizza and pasta is universal at this point. I don't think the decline will be as dramatic as the Russian food places though.

• Like 2

I think the stewed B.S. dish is actually beef testicles or mountain oysters if you prefer.

I also think you're supposed to order at the counters not at tables. Yes there is a dim sum form which when I went the staff member filled in for me as I ordered at the counter but a flaw was the form lacked the prices. So you had to refer to the prices on the signs. That is kind of stupid and I told them but they don't care. Because it's a card system you really need to know the prices so that you know you aren't ordering over your card value.

I also don't like the deposit system. Yes I get it but out of their paranoia of losing cards they're complicating things.

• Like 1

Just a follow up. The only things I would ever order off the wall would be mistake on a bun and chips, chips, chips. The menus (they have them) have prices. Order a few items, eat, order some more. There are also one page menus for pizza, burgers, other stuff. I got lots of change, ended up being 535 baht.

The manager came over when we were done and I told him it was really good. He told me they'd only been open a week or so, the dim sum station was done for Chinese tourists and that they had a chef from Hing Kong. He volunteered the food wasn't really Chinese.  Nice guy. I suggested sticky rice (went over so so) and really pushed getting Chinese tea, just regular restaurant quality.  To improve the place he is thinking of putting in a clothes shop and a massage parlour.

About the bs stew, I asked a cook about kee nua????? He bent forward and mimed something expelled from the rear. Somebody, please give it a try.

• Thanks 1

Oh cool.

We've got some controversy here on Food Street. That's always fun!

I still think the main idea of their food court concept is to put money a card and then walk around purchasing things at the stations (paying as your order taking money off your card) and then the food is brought to your table by staff. Obviously with cook to order dim sum you're not going to stand there waiting. On the other hand it is very new and it may well be they don't have their act together yet especially if they get busy! We'll see. What really matters is the food anyway.

When I first walked in I wanted to browse around and a staff member was following me around like a stalking puppy at a very close distance. It was extreme. I had to tell him to back off while I had a look around. 

As far as the card deposit, what I find confusing is how to order your money. If you want 500 on the card do you say 500 and then they say 540 or do they default (as I expect) give you 460. It's maybe a small detail but why they felt they needed to complicate their card system in any way is beyond me.  

As far as the food, well I've eaten in world class dim sum places with mostly Chinese customers and yes the dim sum chefs appear Chinese and sure Chinese tourists will eat there, so what exactly isn't Chinese about their dim sum? I'm not buying it. The items I had tasted plenty Chinese to me. There were some obvious items missing like chicken feet but that's another matter. There was one item that didn't taste as I would expect for Chinese dim sum -- the pork filling in the steamed buns (an item I wouldn't recommend there but probably some people will like their style). Another item that I think they messed up was the fried taro ball w/ pork thing as there was too much raw egg yolk in it. I didn't bother to complain but didn't eat it all, full from the other food.  So maybe my opinion will change as I try more items but for now I think they are selling Chinese style dim sum for the most part. I'm not saying it's the best dim sum I've ever had, it's not, but for now I think it's quite good and Chinese enough for the most part. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewGuy said:

About the bs stew, I asked a cook about kee nua????? He bent forward and mimed something expelled from the rear. Somebody, please give it a try.

On the B.S. stew thing I took a picture and talked to a staff lady that spoke some English. I told her that it was a dirty word in English. She then cupped her hands like she was cupping bull's balls at least that's how I took it, and you really gotta love how matter of fact Thai people often are. I then told her English speaking tourists were going to find that item really funny and take pictures of the menu and suggested definitely don't change it! Could be a branding thing. The Bullshit stew restaurant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewGuy said:

We just had dim sum at Soi 3's Royal Dim Sum food court c/o A1 hotel.

The two of us had lots of dishes (9 or 10), water for me, green tea for her. Maybe 11. Small plates, some quite good, even though short on the Chinese food taste.  Top dishes were Shanghai donuts (bah tong kuo - bad phonetics), #1 steamed crab meat, #21 steamed shrimp dumpling, #22 steamed scallops dumpling, #16 Shanghai Xiao long bao. The #15 red pork bun, #13 steamed noodle rolls with BBQ pork, #6 deep fried tofu sheet were okay, didn't like #2 crab sculls. No sticky rice.

Service was mixed. The first waitress was dozy, "no menus, food court" repeated a few times. Waved her off; others brought menus, took and delivered orders. As noted earlier, typical food court payment deal, buy a card with x baht, reload it with more if needed and when that happened some (good) staff were confused. Altogether, about 650 baht, and worth it.

There are other stalls. One that caught my eye was Tong Chon Wua whose first dish, and I double checked it, was stewed bullshit with Chinese herb, 120 baht.

Do you get free entry to their orgy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kdrayong said:

Den Swiss House, Soi Boonsampam.

Since the beginning of the tunnel construction at Pattaya Klang and Sukhumvit, I didn't visit the dark side.

Today I dared to go there again and visited Den Swiss House, Soi Boonsampam.

The main course I had was Chateaubriand with potato gratin for 320 THB. Perfectly well cooked as ordered : rare-medium. Small bottle of beer 60 THB,

The staff is very friendly and attentive. Not comparable to the common West-side waitresses.

In the main course the soup of the day and the salad buffet is included. The salad buffet is very good, three seasonings are offered. The soup of the day wasn't my taste today, but okay in general. In case I would complain to anything, it would be the soup only.

Conclusion: I will go there again for sure. A very good value for money. You'll hardly find a place like that on the West-side.

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. They are on facebook, what I don't use.

Their garlic mussels are nice.

Soup and salad were average.

Was not impressed with my mains-Beef stroganoff, not sure what it came with, maybe chopped roti, beef poor quality and bland. 

Price was good, will try again.

I would have called the location Soi Khowanoi, don't know if it is also called Soi Boonsampam????

And the missus said that her Thai food was very good, she had a fish dish.

GetFileAttachment?id=AQMkADAwATE0YzYwLWU2YTktODI5Zi0wMAItMDAKAEYAAANPyec2y6MtT5MkZcX3osSmBwD9u0zga9rzQpR9U9TY8kaLAAACAQwAAAD9u0zga9rzQpR9U9TY8kaLAAHJFoLRAAAAARIAEABl%2B9udKqizTZyUPLXyfs4W&X-OWA-CANARY=TKZgDCePF0yrqNi7US_DSJBNV-tKB9YYZGq8t6r3LyL3pv1veDnjdb3ysB-7PmKha2jhIiemhFQ.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.X2NSZUS5kWMYSBH6-kZofnXVYBC5-PfgfDoOjkP_jpGbsQ92OHOZ6iZeMiuwpDumvoyakWfbduT0KENzzi2GVJlNWlv1egr9XUEFpiGsMkF2SszBpZQ4IlLJ7Sk4laGKX6q20ja7xt338xRhYaOuDfxDHGZQaMcPYJWKNVMBV05zvdge6VL4238tqdrsiwkAavLHmGt8oFiLr0ShEeQXbaN7BX3Yt-gazEXEfimzzq_takA8J52FjDr1Z0wF-1z6tuFdqwLgLAMg5Se-vfsnvoTjCrKjh5pgIcFt3rowJqjIx_Of7gHqfuVbKb150EOitZFDBQQ6zExZzK74HahN4w&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1&isImagePreview=True

IMG_3329[1].JPG

Edited by hackjam
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewGuy said:

I think we all get to taste it here daily when the NNBT burps out their daily propaganda release. Maybe the place is an outlet of theirs.