The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

I wasn't suggesting that every place has closed or will close. Just a phase of very rapid and necessary change. 

Coincidentally I just learned that Casa Espana is no longer doing in house service. That might explain the paella showing up on their delivery menu. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 3/15/2020 at 1:23 PM, hackjam said:

Went back to Casa Espana a few nights ago.

For starter, had the tomato bread and garlic prawns, excellent.

Shared a paella for mains and was good. The charred rice around the edges and stuck to the bottom really appealed to the missus-sticky rice style.

Cant remember the bill but I did consider it relatively cheap.

Will return to complete the Tapas menu and missus wants to sample the Thai menu.

As can be seen from second photo, adequate olive oil with the bread dish ( I did forget to take my own, and was not required anyway)

thumbnail_IMG_0592.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0593.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0594.jpg

I also tried Casa Espana a week ago. I had the garlic prawns and spanish style potatoes with an egg. It was average at best. Will not go again. 

I also do not like the smallish chairs and benches, it is not comfortable.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henry2109 said:

I also tried Casa Espana a week ago. I had the garlic prawns and spanish style potatoes with an egg. It was average at best. Will not go again. 

I also do not like the smallish chairs and benches, it is not comfortable.

I agree about those two dishes. Some of the dishes are better though. They are currently another take out and delivery only restaurant. My biggest disappointment there is their tortilla Espanol. It could have been so good if they used olive oil in it, but they don't. Also their gazpacho, painfully under-seasoned. I ordered it a second time and added salt pepper and olive oil and that did help somewhat.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

Hotel restaurants are still available to guests

I'm sure if you visit them they won't scrutinize your guest status too closely

Does the typical fine-dinning place now offer take out menu? or do they close altogether 

I'm in Bangkok now, even some famous michelin starred place are now offering takeout 

Probably fine for in house guests, but what about the curfew for those not staying at the hotel? 

• Confused 1

If you like duck, I recommend the Russian roasted 1/2 duck at 8 Horseshoes Tavern. They're on Grab (can get 100 baht discount) and Eatigo (discount up to 50 percent) if their dining room is still open. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3446062-Reviews-8_Horseshoes_Tavern-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We headed to Khrua Mueang Neua on 3rd Road yesterday around Midday and was told there was only enough for one portion of Khao Soi.

And what a Khao Soi it was, never had one with a flavour so deep, along with 3 pieces of Chicken.

26-03-20-001.jpg.bb31ecd074b0c71d697f0c6584fb789e.jpg

She had to make do with a bowl of Khanom Jeen Nam Ngiaw, which she assured me was delicious.

26-03-20-002.jpg.d69a33c78ed86abfe0e27e83811462b1.jpg

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gamesgplayemail said:

The Spanish restaurant is acceptable because it's the only one with Valencia, and even, Valencia has less food to propose.

Any review for Valencia ?

I thought that one had been out of business for several years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I thought that one had been out of business for several years.

still open but i have never been there.

no promotion from this place, they seem to live only with regular customers

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valencia-Restaurant/333798677133795

https://www.wongnai.com/restaurants/188136pW-valencia-spanish-restaurant

https://goo.gl/maps/h5zzGZBzJJFECRdZ8

Edited by gamesgplayemail

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Pattaya starting today.

No restaurants.

Only takeout and delivery.

Enjoy? 

I know some are not self sufficient.

You forgot making your own meals.

If you want to consider everything, it is probably cleaner.

People, maybe numerous; making/handling your food, handling the box/bag, bringing it to your place.

And making your own meals is fun I think takes up some time also from sitting around.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

still open but i have never been there.

no promotion from this place, they seem to live only with regular customers

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Valencia-Restaurant/333798677133795

https://www.wongnai.com/restaurants/188136pW-valencia-spanish-restaurant

https://goo.gl/maps/h5zzGZBzJJFECRdZ8

No posts on FB or wongnai in 2020. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not true

You are correct. I think there were some lost in translation issues yesterday but now we have this:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1156111-detailed-explanation-of-regulations-for-restaurants-in-pattaya-due-to-covid-19/?tab=comments#comment-15215192

Please no snide remark now. I said you are correct. Savor that.

Edited by Jingthing

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-chonburi-resturants-can-open-under-strict-guidelines-293122

Guidelines for restaurants to operate in the COVID-19 protected areas

All restaurants located outside shopping malls can operate as normal but must strictly abide by the advice given by the authorities regarding the set-up and protective procedures by the restaurants as follows:
Staff must monitor body temperature of all clients who enter the premises.
Staff must supply alcohol hand gel for clients to wash their hands.
All staff must wear a face mask.
Staff must thoroughly clean all surfaces and areas of human contact repeatedly.
Table arrangements must determine that diners sit at least 1 metre apart (not tables 1 metre apart). Round table sitting where diners dine together is not allowed as diners do not sit at a distance of 1 metre from each other. Diners who come together must sit at least one metre apart.

The best way of doing business is to sell ‘Take-Away’ food. Customers who wait for their food must stand or sit at least 1 metre apart.
Restaurant operators must be absolutely sure that they have a licence to operate a restaurant business and NOT a licence for an entertainment business. Entertainment businesses are not permitted to open.
Restaurants in shopping malls are allowed to open but for selling ‘Take-Away’ ONLY. Customers are not allowed to dine on the premises.
Restaurants are allowed to serve alcoholic beverages at 11am-2pm and again at 5pm-midnight.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

hello, can you tell me from where you can order sushi in Pattaya ? Any website of Facebook link ? thanks.

Lots of options. I think any of the delivery apps will have sushi options. I use Grab and indeed they have several. 

Perhaps someone can recommend specific sushi places that they like from a delivery app. 

Some restaurants are doing their own delivery. If there is a sushi place you already like you could call them and ask. 

As has now become quite obvious the time has come for reviews here to be about TAKEOUT and DELIVERY food. 

Hopefully someday in the not too distant future, actual sit down restaurant experiences will make a comeback but not now.

So I invite people to share your takeout and delivery habits and discoveries.

For all the people that are not eating all meals home cooked (or opening cans of beans) surely some of you have some takeout and delivery experiences to share?

If so, please include access information. Such as was it takeout, was it delivery, and if delivery but what service or does the restaurant do their own deliveries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Perhaps indicate the wait times for delivery also.  

I guess but that can be very random.

The apps will give you an estimate but there are so many variables:

distance to restaurant

what you ordered (some dishes take a really long time to cook!)

peak meal time or off time (off time generally quicker)

whether the driver is doubling/tripling up on different customers

incompetent drivers delivering first to totally wrong places

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I guess but that can be very random.

The apps will give you an estimate but there are so many variables:

distance to restaurant

what you ordered (some dishes take a really long time to cook!)

peak meal time or off time (off time generally quicker)

whether the driver is doubling/tripling up on different customers

incompetent drivers delivering first to totally wrong places

Sure, but can't hurt to include, "took 40 minutes from order to delivery" for example.