The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

I went to Jibee Restaurant on Soi Bongkot today for the first time.

Good coffee, good food (I had Lasagne and my parter had pakapow), looks new and nice n clean.

Happy to go back again.

So what part of Soi Bongkot? Closer to 3rd road or closer to Pattaya Tai?

Good coffee, good food (I had Lasagne and my parter had pakapow), looks new and nice n clean.

Happy to go back again.

Good lasagne is hard to find. I usually find the portion is too small, the sauce not meaty enough, not enough pasta sheets and too much bechamel. Edited by brewsterbudgen

Happy to go back again.

Good lasagne is hard to find. I usually find the portion is too small, the sauce not meaty enough, not enough pasta sheets and too much bechamal.

I agree. Very hard to find and also subjective like pizza.

The only time I had a lasagna I loved in Thailand was at The DUKES Chiang Mai!

They do Italian American style with mozerella and ricotta cheese and NO bechamel.

Italians would be horrified.

I know bechamel is traditional for lasagna but I hate it.

Italian Americans probably starting using ricotta instead of bechamel out of laziness, but who cares, it's DELISH.

I do like bechamel in Greek moussaka.

Edited by Jingthing

Happy to go back again.

So what part of Soi Bongkot? Closer to 3rd road or closer to Pattaya Tai?
Closer to Third rd. Left hand side if coming from Third rd.

post-245798-14431534301085_thumb.jpg

Special Low Season Offer from Fire and Stone Pizzeria on Pattaya Klang.

They have excellent food and their regular prices are already reasonable, but why not?

https://www.facebook.com/fireandstonepizzeria#_=_

Low-Season Special Offer!

25% Discount off food between 12pm-5pm Every Day!

Offer available for Eat-In, Take Away, and Deliveries!

Please quote SO915 to claim your Special Offer!

Tel: 038-362-186

.... their regular prices are already reasonable,

580B for a pizza is reasonable? Not in my book.

What book is that? The book of trickery?

A large good LOADED UP one serving multiple people. Yes we all know about the 69 baht margharita pizza at Pizza Pizza and its good and a great value, but that gets boring. I've only had the calzone (290 baht) at Fire and Stone and it was excellent and worth the price. Reasonable. Not the same as CHEAP.

Here is the actual menu with the prices so you can see for yourself that dear old KittenKong has intentionally distorted the price level of this restaurant by picking the most expensive pizza in the large size and acting like that FAIRLY reflects the price level.

http://www.fireandstonepizzeria.com/?p=7698

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

What book is that? The book of trickery?

A large good LOADED UP one serving multiple people. Yes we all know about the 69 baht margharita pizza at Pizza Pizza and its good and a great value, but that gets boring. I've only had the calzone (290 baht) at Fire and Stone and it was excellent and worth the price. Reasonable. Not the same as CHEAP.

Here is the actual menu with the prices so you can see for yourself that dear old KittenKong has intentionally distorted the price level of this restaurant by picking the most expensive pizza in the large size and acting like that FAIRLY reflects the price level.

I distorted nothing at all. The price I quoted is a "regular" one as listed on their menu. They also do plenty of other cheaper pizzas that still look expensive to me, as do most pizzas here.

As far I know that 14in size is the same as a large pizza at Pastrami on Rye, and I do not believe that would serve "multiple" people unless perhaps they have gastric bands. Take the most expensive Pastrami on Rye pizza and apply the afternoon 50% discount and you get to around 250B, which I think is about what such pizzas are really worth.

• Like 1

You obviously did distort. You tried to push the false information that this is an unusually expensive place by selectively choosing only one price to mention as a representative example and you chose the most expensive pizza on their menu.

You'll never convince me otherwise so don't even bother. It is not an expensive restaurant. It is a moderately priced one in this market.

To add. One time I ordered the pastrami and rye large size cheeseburger pizza with Sicilian crust. Its a similar price when not discounted to the large pizza you selectively featured. Yes it would feed 3 to 4 hungry people but being honest here unlike some people a big part of that is the very thick crust. A thin crust one would feed 2 hungry people. Multiple simply means more than one person. Normal people don't consume an entire large size pizza themselves.

Edited by Jingthing

Back home in SF, we have Paki Indian once a week - Greatest Lambchops on the planet.

So - Even if they're serving Mutton here ... Can anyone recommend great (not good or passable) Tandoori Lambchops?
Extra credit if on Jomtien songthew route running into & through to South Pattaya ...
  • Like 1

Well lots of places have tandoori kebabs using lamb. I don't recall seeing tandoori lamb chops though. Yes I know what you mean about the great Pakistani food in San Francisco but frankly you're setting your expectations too high if nothing short of that will satisfy.

To add, generally when you see mutton on Indian menus in Thailand, they mean goat.

Edited by Jingthing

Happy to go back again.

Good lasagne is hard to find. I usually find the portion is too small, the sauce not meaty enough, not enough pasta sheets and too much bechamel.

Hi

Yes agree.

2 restaurants where I have found the lasgne to be fairly good are Grottino soi 33 naklua, soi 33 being very near the Doplhin/Loma roundabout.Aprrox 280 baht, medium size portion, adequate for me ( I`ve not a particularly large appetite though.)

Last time I went past there was a sign "closed until November I`ll return when they re open.

2nd was Little Mermaid soi Whitehouse Jomtien, approx 260 baht, on special offer Wednesdays at 200 baht ( I think )

Quite a nice lasagne and portion adequate.

I did also have tortellini at Little Mermaid, won`t be having that dish there again.

2 Thai friends had the seafood spaghetti which they seemed to enjoy, it looked good but is not a dish I like so didn`t try it.

• Thanks 1

I'd be williing to pay 600 Baht for a decently made pizza than 300 baht for what's the Pizza Company or Thailand Pizza Hut called pizza in their menu

Also to add the large 580 pizza at Fire and Stone is a very unusual special pizza with a special crust as well! Doesn't sound at all authentic either ... but sounds delicious as indeed they claim on their menu and I tend to believe them. As many know, "authentic" Italian pizzas are not loaded down with lots of toppings and don't have gimmicky crust ingredients ... that's more American.

Their other pizzas are less flamboyant with lower prices as well.

Mozzarella, tomato sauce, salami, buffalo mozzarela,
mixed vegetables, parma ham with a salami and cheese crust.
Simply delicious!!!

http://www.fireandstonepizzeria.com/food

Edited by Jingthing

I'd be williing to pay 600 Baht for a decently made pizza than 300 baht for what's the Pizza Company or Thailand Pizza Hut called pizza in their menu

Indeed, the focus of this thread is to help us all find delicious restaurant food in our region, and good value for money is very desirable as well, but that doesn't necessarily mean cheap or the cheapest. Many different people here with different budgets. There are places I know that have great food here which I don't go to -- just too expensive.

Cost is a factor for most of us, I think, here or anywhere.

Like if I knew a place with really good dim sum at 80 baht a plate (sadly I don't) and there was another place with even better dim sum at 150 baht a plate, I would eat at the 80 baht plate place much more often!

Speaking of DIM SUM.

Remember the old Montien hotel and the old Marco Polo Chinese restaurant?

A very good and expensive Chinese restaurant it was.

Now that's a new hotel called the Imperial Pattaya with a new VERY EXPENSIVE Chinese restaurant called IMPERIAL CHINA which has a dim sum menu.

Has anyone been there? I'm sure their dim sum is great ... but can you say what is the rough PRICE RANGE of a plate of dim sum there?

Edited by Jingthing

What we missed at Little Mermaid:

attachicon.gif1622705_234297310027865_1834693850_n.jpg

I missed it too.

Another case in point, if you like some restaurant in the area, eat there now (or it may be never) ... and also do us a favor and tell us all about it, as who knows, the publicity might just help save these good businesses.

I would have definitely tried this place if I had known about it before they closed. I found about it online before this but it was already closed.

Sorry I didn`t know, a shame as 1 thing that did stand out was that the staff did try to ensure/ask if all was OK..

Tough times and take you comment on board.

Happy to go back again.

Good lasagne is hard to find. I usually find the portion is too small, the sauce not meaty enough, not enough pasta sheets and too much bechamel.

Hi

Yes agree.

2 restaurants where I have found the lasgne to be fairly good are Grottino soi 33 naklua, soi 33 being very near the Doplhin/Loma roundabout.Aprrox 280 baht, medium size portion, adequate for me ( I`ve not a particularly large appetite though.)

Last time I went past there was a sign "closed until November I`ll return when they re open.

2nd was Little Mermaid soi Whitehouse Jomtien, approx 260 baht, on special offer Wednesdays at 200 baht ( I think )

I did also have tortellini at Little Mermaid, won`t be having that dish there again.

2 Thai friends had the seafood spaghetti which they seemed to enjoy, it looked good but is not a dish I like so didn`t try it.

Never had Lasagne for more than 200 in Thailand ,just sayin

To add. One time I ordered the pastrami and rye large size cheeseburger pizza with Sicilian crust. Its a similar price when not discounted to the large pizza you selectively featured. Yes it would feed 3 to 4 hungry people but being honest here unlike some people a big part of that is the very thick crust. A thin crust one would feed 2 hungry people. Multiple simply means more than one person. Normal people don't consume an entire large size pizza themselves.

I think that the pizzas at Pastrami and Rye are also overpriced when the discount isn't applied. I thought I made this clear. With the discount the price is about right.

A 14in pizza would be enough for one person, with a slice or two left over to have as a midnight snack. Though that's probably why my BMI is nearer 30 than 20. Certainly if I was given one 14in pizza to share with a hungry friend then I dont think we would be friends for long.

Not exactly a review, more of a heads-up.

Those who like Chinese food may want to keep an eye on the new building just in front of the Coliseum show on Thepprasit. It looks like it will be a large banquet-style Chinese restaurant though I have no idea whether it will have a menu for the general public, or be just for Chinese tour groups, or be something completely different again.

I suppose it might even be a big Dim Sum and tea place such as one finds in London and Hong Kong but I doubt it. I rather like those.

Thanks KK. I reckon it will most likely be a venue for the Chinese tour groups to eat with convenient proximity to the show.

Items do not need to be reviews to fit on this thread. Future restaurant news like that definitely fits.

Some of those tour group places welcome others and some don't. There is a place like that on North Pattaya road that I was able to eat at but turns out the food was poor.

Edited by Jingthing

Middle West Cuisine Comes to Pattaya! clap2.gif

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/destinations/2013/08/15/10-midwestern-foods-you-must-try/2655465/

Wisconsin: "Deep-Fried Fat Elvis," a deep-fried banana-battered peanut butter cup wrapped in bacon

ON A STICK

Not really. But that's what the sign says.

There is a large restaurant fixing to open on Soi Buakhow a bit south of Volare Italian restaurant that already sports a HUGE sign.

Called Jasmine Restaurant.

The sign announces:

MIDDLE WEST FOOD

EUROPEAN FOOD

MEDITERRANEAN FOOD

THAI FOOD

with pictures and everything!

As there are also a lot of words in Hebrew, it's reasonable to guess this place is largely aimed at the Israeli tourist market in that area and they MEANT Middle East food, not Middle West!

Major blooper.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing their menu. Particularly the Middle West part.

You know they won't fix it!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Happy to go back again.

Hi

Yes agree.

Never had Lasagne for more than 200 in Thailand ,just sayin

Hi

I`d be more than happy to receive and try suggestions for decent lasagne in Pattaya for sub 200 baht.

I do know of one place, Pizza & Pasta soi arunothai, about 185 baht, acceptable.

Normal people don't consume an entire large size pizza themselves.

Guilty as charged, Your Honor! Proudly not normal. biggrin.png

Yeah, I asked for that.

But even before I discovered my "secret" of appetite control I don't think I ever once walked into a restaurant and ordered their large pizza and at it all myself!

Now a pint of Ben and Jerry's ... that's nothing!