The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 12/12/2018 at 6:55 PM, DrTuner said:

Well that escalated quickly. The problem with branches of farang restos is if the farang isn't there lording over the Thai staff 24/7/365 with a lead pipe and a whip, the place get thai-y-fied in no time, meaning in turns into a dump. Usual end result is the branch gets closed. Let's see how long the clock will tick on this one.

Arno's is a chain , just like Sizzler.   It's a French owner that originally opened the restaurants in Bangkok  but all the managers are Thais.

If you are unhappy with the first bite of the burger I would just complain. They made a mistake. 

From Bangkok Post: 

"French owner-cum-chef Arnaud Carre is the fifth generation member of a professional butcher family. Carre decided to move to Thailand a few years ago after a decade of success with a butchery business in New York. Here in the Kingdom, the veteran butcher aims to fill a gastronomic gap in steak dining by highlighting the prime quality of local cattle, which cost a lot less than its imported counterparts.

At Arno's, a 45-day dry-aged rib eye, for example, is priced at 1,600 baht per kilogramme, 75-day aged sirloin cost 1,900 baht per kilogramme while a 100-day aged T-bone costs 3,900 baht per kilogramme."  

Edited by balo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, balo said:

Arno's is a chain , just like Sizzler.   It's a French owner that originally opened the restaurants in Bangkok  but all the managers are Thais.

If you are unhappy with the first bite of the burger I would just complain. They made a mistake. 

From Bangkok Post: 

"French owner-cum-chef Arnaud Carre is the fifth generation member of a professional butcher family. Carre decided to move to Thailand a few years ago after a decade of success with a butchery business in New York. Here in the Kingdom, the veteran butcher aims to fill a gastronomic gap in steak dining by highlighting the prime quality of local cattle, which cost a lot less than its imported counterparts.

At Arno's, a 45-day dry-aged rib eye, for example, is priced at 1,600 baht per kilogramme, 75-day aged sirloin cost 1,900 baht per kilogramme while a 100-day aged T-bone costs 3,900 baht per kilogramme."  

So, it's Thai beef then? Big of them to admit it. 3900 baht/kilo for Thai beef. They're having a laugh!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

So, it's Thai beef then? Big of them to admit it. 3900 baht/kilo for Thai beef. They're having a laugh!

What are the prices for same quality dry-aged imported beef  ?  Dry aged beef is not common to find in super markets , it requires a special process. 

"Dry aging is the process by which large cuts of beef are aged for anywhere from several weeks to several months" 

Edited by balo

3 hours ago, balo said:

What are the prices for same quality dry-aged imported beef  ?  Dry aged beef is not common to find in super markets , it requires a special process. 

"Dry aging is the process by which large cuts of beef are aged for anywhere from several weeks to several months"

i have no idea whether imported dry-aged beef is available but as a comparison here's a U.S. price for boneless rib eye is ~USD 110.- (35 ounces) add transport and 40% customs duty (ad valorem cif) i estimate landed price ~USD 160.-/kilo = THB 5,200.- (nothing to laugh about).

8 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thai-French, it's a well known brand. The animals are meant for meat, not the usual rubber cows. It's the aging that drives the price up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thai-French, it's a well known brand. The animals are meant for meat, not the usual rubber cows. It's the aging that drives the price up.

I can remember McDonalds, in the UK, boasting that they had their own farms in the UK to ensure that only top quality beef was used in their burgers.

There was a national outcry when an investigative journalist revealed that they were being fed on processed chicken crap.

Companies make these claims and are often false. Much less chance of their claims being debunked in Thailand than in the UK.

Edited by Spidey

I can remember McDonalds, in the UK, boasting that they had their own farms in the UK to ensure that only top quality beef was used in their burgers.

There was a national outcry when an investigative journalist revealed that they were being fed on processed chicken crap.

Companies make these claims and are often false. Much less chance of their claims being debunked in Thailand than in the UK.

They’re fed processed soy.

Do you really think chicken-sh*t has enough nutritional value to grow beef cost effectively?
  • Like 1

Just now, mogandave said:

They’re fed processed soy.

Do you really think chicken-sh*t has enough nutritional value to grow beef cost effectively?

It was a fact that McDonalds admitted to and promised to change the practice.

To produce top quality beef, cows are fed on grass, in fields. Except Kobi beef, which isn't produced ethically and, personally, I don't rate for flavour.

It was a fact that McDonalds admitted to and promised to change the practice.

To produce top quality beef, cows are fed on grass, in fields. Except Kobi beef, which isn't produced ethically and, personally, I don't rate for flavour.

How ‘bout a link to the “fact” that shows McDonald’s was using chicken-sh*t as cattle feed.

I lived on Soi six in Pattaya for a while.  I am personally not worried about eating chicken poop after the things I ate on Soi six.  I buy ground beef at Makro and it says Australian cattle.  I put a bit of frozen bread and egg and seasonings in it and grind it again before I cook it. I remember reading about Mac feeding chicken litter I think it was in California.  If you google MacDonald's poultry litter you'll probably find it.  Buy you know it's California and for me that's almost as bad as Soi Six as far as things I have eaten there.   

beef.jpg

bura.jpg

Edited by marcusarelus

New Delhi coming to Pattaya?

The remarkable explosion of Indian restaurants in Pattaya is old news. It's almost ridiculous. Yes, I agree with the general opinion that most of them are not particularly good. But some of them are at least decent.

So what's up?

Two New Delhi chains coming to Pattaya.

I have no idea of the specific business relationships between the Indian companies and these two new places but they are at least suggesting such a relationship.

First one is Chowringhee Lane near the Fascino pharmacy on Pattaya Klang (not North, Klang).

This place is not open yet. The brand specializes in Kolkata style kathi rolls but is from New Delhi not Kolkata.

http://www.34chowringheelane.com/

The second one has recently just opened.

It's Chicken Khurana.

Pattaya Soi 16 between 2nd road (Marine Plaza Hotel) and Walking Street, closer to Walking Street, near Indian night clubs.

This is a nighttime and ALL NIGHT restaurant. 

They have a cool looking gaudy sign.

Sadly I have missed trying it two times already as I arrived too early.

Now I know the hours. 

They open roughly at 8 P.M. and open all night.

Prices are moderate for the local Indian restaurant market which means cheap Charlies should not apply. They have a surprising complete Northern Indian menu, veg. and non-veg.

They also have Tibetan Momos (dumplings) made fresh, both with chicken and veg. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Yayoi

Popular mass market Japanese food chain

Central Pattaya Beach / T21 / Marina?

Flavor promotions on Japanese Karaage (fried chicken) 

I'm not really a big fan of Yayoi and I don't eat Japanese food here that often except for ramen. 

Also I usually much prefer Korean fried chicken to Japanese.

But I was attracted by a special Karaage flavor promotion at Yayoi. 

It's not on their regular menu so not sure if it will become a regular menu item or not.

Anyway they offer BBQ, Nori Wasabi, Spicy, and Asian Twist. Any choice for 69 baht for a decent sized portion. 

I tried the Nori Wasabi and I seriously loved it. The Wasabi flavor was very strong and the boneless fried chicken wasn't at all greasy. 

https://www.yayoirestaurants.com/en/menu

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

I went to the Robin Hood Tavern for my Xmas dinner yesterday. It was ok, a nice spread, however, me and the mrs haven’t been far from the toilet today! I started evacuating my bowels rather quickly as of 4am this morning!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DMC1 said:

I went to the Robin Hood Tavern for my Xmas dinner yesterday. It was ok, a nice spread, however, me and the mrs haven’t been far from the toilet today! I started evacuating my bowels rather quickly as of 4am this morning!

Please Keep us updated how things are going there.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DMC1 said:

8 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Please Keep us updated how things are going there.....

IMHO, the food and the draught beer went downhill after the Retox chain sold it to some Indian.

I no longer visit.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Any place is a good place to eat a great steak, where to find a great steak is a little more difficult...

(I was going to say tougher but caught myself)

Mata Hari and Bruno serve great steaks, but they are both located at Thappraya road, not cheap but quality is never cheap, wondering if there's something comparable on the dark side.

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Mata Hari has been closed for several years.

Wow very surprised by that, shows how often I go out eating to not even know that. A guy from Belgium ran it and it appeared he was doing okay, though never very busy the few times we've been there the service and food was great but on average 2000 baht/person easily.