The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:51 PM, Jingthing said:

Terminal 21 Mall snippets

Futai Noodle House (Chinese), they might have hand pulled noodles there when they open. Was told they will open on Sunday. Can't find anything online about this place. But also looks like a chain.

This place is on the San Francisco floor, 2nd road view side.

Well, it never opened as Futai Noodle House.

They stripped the original sign away but it still retains Chinese style decorations and there are usually people there talking or working, mostly talking.

So whatever this place is going to be (and when) is now a MYSTERY!

Edited by Jingthing

On 10/23/2018 at 5:04 PM, Jingthing said:

Missed snippet

Chutney Indian

I was curious if this was a chain so I can report what the lady I spoke to there said. She told me yes it is a chain from Bangkok and that they also already have a Pattaya location on the top floor of Royal Garden. Did she mean in the food court or a standalone? Forgot to ask. I never go into the food court at Royal and haven't visited the top floor in a long time.  (BTW the very good standalone Indian vegetarian place at the top of Royal Garden, SARAS, also a chain from Bangkok, is moving to the FRONT of Royal Garden.)

Now about Chutney Indian, this is a HIGHER PRICED Indian restaurant though I was told 15 percent off is being offered for now. Example, Dal Tarka is 220 (a more typical local price is 120 to 150) and plain naan is 80 (typical local price 30 to 60). Whether they can justify their higher prices with exceptional quality is something I do not know though color me skeptical. 

Heads up. Prices down. Now on eatigo.com

????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Burgers at T21

Arno's vs. Teddy's Bigger Burgers

Well I got around to trying Teddy's. I had their "cheese lava" choice which is on the menu as one of their top features. I forgot to specify the done level on the burger so they come medium well by default. I think the bun was their featured potato bun. You get a wide choice of sides including the unusual to find sweet potato fries and tater tots.

This burger wasn't so great. Being medium well it was hard to tell the quality of the beef but what I could tell didn't really impress. The soft cheese exploding upon eating sounds better on the menu than in real life. The bun wasn't as special as I had hoped either. I did enjoy the sweet potato fries but the portion was small. (They are on eatigo.com and the two for one deal is over.)

Went a second time to Arno's. This time ordered medium rare instead of medium. It was too rare for me so next time back to medium which still had a decent amount of rarer spots. As before, their beef is excellent. Had the curly fries instead of regular this time. Like them better than the standard fries and they gave me a huge portion which I didn't finish.

They have a deal before 5 p.m. Soft drink is included. The standard 220 before 5 burger set includes a potato side, choose of cheese on top including blue, and bacon on the burger. 

Personally for me, when I want a burger in Pattaya (which isn't often because I don't think it's healthy) it's going to be ARNOS and only ARNOS.

If you want to go healthy Arno's offers a small salad instead of the fries. 

• Thanks 2

Not really impressed by either Arno's or Teddy.  

The best burgers can be found elsewhere. Thai beef or Aussie beef can also make a big difference . I know Carl's Jr only use Aussie beef, and I like the taste of their burgers.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jwdub said:

Unfortunately per Dave's Cantina FB page, today was his last day in business.

Shame.

A lot blaming the location, which was far from ideal, but Tigglebitties (if I can compare?) has survived for many years in pretty much the same location.

Personally, I just found it a soulless place to eat.

2 hours ago, AlexCanada said:

How do you guys compare Teddy's and Arno's with Jim's burgers behind Central Marina? 

Here you go: 

I found the Teddy's image of the burger offputting due to the white bun. Haven't tried.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Shame.

A lot blaming the location, which was far from ideal, but Tigglebitties (if I can compare?) has survived for many years in pretty much the same location.

Personally, I just found it a soulless place to eat.

Agree, soulless, a bit like a works canteen. But food was good

Not sure about comparison, Tigglebittes is more of bar that serves food also, where as Daves was just a food joint.

Reckon it would have done well if located Soi Linkee area

On 11/10/2018 at 10:57 PM, DrTuner said:

Ok, took a deep breath and entered belsebub's lair (T21) today to check out Arno's in hopes of finding something fitting nutrition for a straight white meat eating middle aged male. I'll rate it against Jim's Burger & Beers since that's my reference, on scale of 1-10. I had the 200g New York traditional burger with blue cheese, spicy and curly fries and the IPA draft. So:

Ambience: Jim 8 - Arno's 0 (It's not even a proper hole in the wall, only eating out of a coroner's table with surgery lights fully on could be worse. Malls. Brrrrrrrr.)

Meat: Jim 8 - Arno's 9. This they seem to do well, the dry aged beef patty was very good.

Bun: Jim 8 - Arno's 3. Pretty much the same as McDonalds.

Access (as in parking): Jim 3 (They destroyed it now due to yellow non-parking lines in front because of T21) - Arno's 3 (It's yet another full mall parking lot). Both are probably easiest from the BigC festival or whatever it's called these days.

Sauces, lettuces, etc: Jim 9 - Arno's 6. This was a letdown. Not sure where they put the blue cheese, couldn't find it. Dipping sauce was ok.

Fries: Jim 8 - Arno's 7. Ok.

Beer: Jim 10 - Arno's 8. Just can't beat multiple craft beers on tap.

In short, Arno's got superb meat (It's a butcher's shop after all), Jim wins in everything else. Next time I'll go pick up a delicious piece of murder from the showcase, but it won't be anytime soon. I need to flush the mall trauma out of my system first.

Ate at Arno's today.  12:30 PM.  Ordered traditional burger MR and curly fries with cheddar cheese. Bun good.  Fries great.  Sauce good.   Ambience awful.  Service fast. Bacon almost raw.   Burger inedible.  Tough.  Cooked MR but the meat must have been aged buffalo.  I do much better at home with my food processor.  I have no idea how they exist with such awful ground beef. 

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Ate at Arno's today.  12:30 PM.  Ordered traditional burger MR and curly fries with cheddar cheese. Bun good.  Fries great.  Sauce good.   Ambience awful.  Service fast. Bacon almost raw.   Burger inedible.  Tough.  Cooked MR but the meat must have been aged buffalo.  I do much better at home with my food processor.  I have no idea how they exist with such awful ground beef. 

Huh. At least we agree on the ambience. Would be a bit surprised if they managed to screw it up already, usually it takes 2-3months for the next lot to come in and somchai it all up. Was that the aged beef?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Huh. At least we agree on the ambience. Would be a bit surprised if they managed to screw it up already, usually it takes 2-3months for the next lot to come in and somchai it all up. Was that the aged beef?

Aged beef burger (it had that slightly stinky taste of aged but untrimmed beef).  Wife and I had the same thing.  I ordered MR they cooked M.  For 200 baht I didn't expect much and that's what I got.  At Passion delivery you get a Premium Dry Aged Beef Burger Pattie for 190 baht (180g).

I'm assuming the beef was Thai/French at Arno's and in this case more Thai.  I buy black Angus ground beef and make my own burgers and mine are quite a bit better than Arno's beef.  Fries were great though and the caramelized onions and cheese .   If I ever go there again I'd buy a steak and have them grind it for me if they would do that. 

50 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Aged beef burger (it had that slightly stinky taste of aged but untrimmed beef).  Wife and I had the same thing.  I ordered MR they cooked M.  For 200 baht I didn't expect much and that's what I got.  At Passion delivery you get a Premium Dry Aged Beef Burger Pattie for 190 baht (180g).

I'm assuming the beef was Thai/French at Arno's and in this case more Thai.  I buy black Angus ground beef and make my own burgers and mine are quite a bit better than Arno's beef.  Fries were great though and the caramelized onions and cheese .   If I ever go there again I'd buy a steak and have them grind it for me if they would do that. 

This is picture of above post

burger.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

That's bad news then... My guess is they ground the meat too fine, that can result in a stone patty. Can't expect consistency around here, YMMV.

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That's bad news then... My guess is they ground the meat too fine, that can result in a stone patty. Can't expect consistency around here, YMMV.

It seemed like two patties pushed together with stringy bits and gristle hanging between bites.  Maybe just some leftover from the day before and they trimmed the bad parts and pushed the good bits together

• Like 1

Once again, going to Thailand and complaining about the beef is like going to Texas and complaining about the Thai food. 

Also, it's just ground beef, not a $100 bottle of wine (rolls eyes).  If you are that serious about your beef you really have no business living in Thailand.  Go to South America if you want good beef.

If I need to eat a hamburger in Thailand that badly I will just go to McD, which is pretty much the same as the hamburger you get back in the states.  Problem solved.

But I don't eat beef in Thailand.  Just like I don't eat Thai food in South America.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, lapd said:

Once again, going to Thailand and complaining about the beef is like going to Texas and complaining about the Thai food. 

Best Thai food joints are either ran by farangs or outside Thailand. Like Naam in BKK. Pattaya is a tourist destination so can fully expect decent farang grub.

• Like 1

Been coming and living here 10 years and for the first time on wednesday I had a meal at Beefeater on soi Diana,I chose the 200 gms pork steak @ 345 baht is was ok but nothing special......far better value can be found in many Pattaya restaurants in my honest opinion.....overrated for me sorry :whistling:

41 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Try the beef, not the pork. It's right in the name. I like their sauces, steaks are ok, service is good which is rare here, restaurant is clean and works. Value is ok, personally I'm not that interested if it's 200 or 500 or even 2000 baht. I go every 1-2 months, the main problem is traffic and parking.

Parking at Avenue is probably your best bet just a few minutes walk from there.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Parking at Avenue is probably your best bet just a few minutes walk from there.

I usually park in Diana in front of one of the hotels. 40 baht IIRC. Always same problem in the center, parking and getting around without spending half a day getting where you want to go. 

3 hours ago, petermik said:

Been coming and living here 10 years and for the first time on wednesday I had a meal at Beefeater on soi Diana,I chose the 200 gms pork steak @ 345 baht is was ok but nothing special......far better value can be found in many Pattaya restaurants in my honest opinion.....overrated for me sorry :whistling:

Just to be clear, a pork steak and not a pork chop? Pork steaks are an inferior cut of meat so your experience is not a surprise. My experience is most restaurants serve pork chops.