The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

Horribly tragic news.

The H & N Sichuan Chinese restaurant in inner Jomtien is shut. It was in the back soi of the Country Road bar Thappraya. Darn it! I am so bummed. Their spicy fish hot pot was epic. Stupidly I thought they'd make it and didn't go often enough. Yes it was expensive but mainly because they were selling family sized portions.

Nothing locally replaces it. What's wrong with this city when gems like that can't make it?

Edited by Jingthing

^^ Why do places fail here?

Inadequate advertising (most places dont bother to make themselves known at all), inadequate details in menus (no pictures, no English) and, inevitably, prices way over the top probably due to rents being way over the top.

Look no further.

Yes, I could see the problems with this place.

I think every failure has it's own story.

Obviously there are always issues with rents, food costs, chefs, management, staff, adequate capitalization, etc., etc.

This place was not big enough for large Chinese tour buses but was big enough for smaller Chinese groups, which was their definite focus.

The prices were at market for those kinds of places here considering the large portions meant for the table, so I don't think it was the prices.

They did indeed advertise, mostly in Chinese with large signs at multiple locations, even far away.

Their menu did have pictures and some English but it was very poorly translated and bottom line it was quite a difficult place for non-Chinese speakers as nobody on the staff spoke English even bad English.

I think they could have reached out to English speakers and perhaps even Russians with better menus and also the option of smaller size/smaller prices on the dishes.

If you go with one or two, you don't want a family style portion. You want to get multiple dishes, smaller portions, lower prices.

The Chinese were pretty much always in large groups no problem for them.

Whether an outreach could have saved them, I somehow doubt, but they didn't seem to have the imagination to even try, and that's sad.

I really thought they were doing OK because fairly often I did see large groups there.

Anyway, their food was really really good. I posted about it here multiple times ... I guess the following here isn't anything to write home about!

Edited by Jingthing

An example, I wanted a burger from http://www.jfkb.net/

Where are they?

Google map them.

Google them.

email them.

Where are they?

Their pictures look awesome, makes me want one of their burgers.....

Oh, and I tried their location map link, put me behind a Buddha complex that's off the map.....

Edited by Roger Lee

I suspect that large tour groups in buses just mean that someone has negotiated a huge discount. This is probably not a good sign. It certainly makes me dubious about the menu prices. I just know that the 150 Chinese package-tourists on the other tables did not pay the 400B I am being asked for.

As for advertising, I've lost track of the number of farang-orientated places here for which neither a website or (shudder) a Facebook page show up when you search for the name. Most of them really dont have a clue. For places that are not farang-orientated it must be much worse.

Even the signs/displays/menus outside restaurants here often seem to have been cobbled together by an illiterate imbecile. Writing as someone who spent many years working in on-line communication, it never ceases to amaze me just how bad they really are.

• Like 2

Well I have no idea what percentage of their business was that kind of discounted group but I know I did witness some large tables of Chinese ordering directly off the menu. I have seen places like you speak of where the big buses come but this place wasn't really like that. In any case, they had very good food, they're out of business now, and whatever their business tactics were, it's one for the HISTORY books now.

There probably isn't a huge market for authentic Sechuan Chinese food here for non-Chinese anyway.

Edited by Jingthing

Where are they?

Google map them.

Google them.

email them.

Where are they?

Oh, and I tried their location map link, put me behind a Buddha complex that's off the map.....

the website looks mostly good, but has visibly been done from a template by a not so well trained monkey...

just look at the address:

JF Kitchen & Bar

356/29 M.12. Trongprue

A. Banglamuang S.Watboonkanghana Chonburi 201 50 Jomtien, Thailand

Trongprue?

Banglamuang?

LOL

Their google map is way off, looks like a spot geocoded from the address - this works fine in Western countries but not in many Asian countries where the address consists of area number and land plot number vs. street and number in the West.

But from the address it's possible to tell that they are in soi Watboonkanchana

• Like 1

Where are they?

Google map them.

Google them.

email them.

Where are they?

the website looks mostly good, but has visibly been done from a template by a not so well trained monkey...

just look at the address:

JF Kitchen & Bar

356/29 M.12. Trongprue

A. Banglamuang S.Watboonkanghana Chonburi 201 50 Jomtien, Thailand

Trongprue?

Banglamuang?

LOL

Their google map is way off, looks like a spot geocoded from the address - this works fine in Western countries but not in many Asian countries where the address consists of area number and land plot number vs. street and number in the West.

But from the address it's possible to tell that they are in soi Watboonkanchana

It must be, and thanks for the response.

There's another thread about the place here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/826455-tacos-at-j-f-in-jomtien/

And it lists a different google map location which makes way more sense than their website did. http://www.google.com/maps/place/12.88714%C2%B0N+100.88026%C2%B0E/@12.88714,100.88026,16z

But after reading through the above thread I'm not so sure it'll be worth a trip. The pictures of the cheeseburgers did look good though.

Stopped by the old Canary Bay restaurant after not going for many years, Soi 4 Jomtien, now called something else but in the Canary Bay guesthouse and still serving a similar menu. They are known for their Alsatian (French region/German influence) choucroute cuisine (pork stuff and sauerkraut).

Anyway now on Fridays they offer a special dish, the national dish of NORWAY, Farikal. It's lamb and cabbage stew, with potatoes. I have had meat stews before but never this specific dish. I'm sure it isn't the best Farikal in the world, but I enjoyed it. 350 baht.

http://mylittlenorway.com/2008/09/lamb-in-cabbage/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsatian_cuisine

I'm sure their choucroute is still good.

Wow , as a Norwegian I have been looking for Farikal here but no luck in the Norwegian restaurants. Will certainly give this a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a French restaurant last night on third road called Chez Georges. The food was surprisingly good. They give you a free starter which was like a pate, served with bread. We also ordered a Venison Terrine that was very nice.

For mains we had rabbit in white wine sauce, which is highly recommended, also a steak that was tasty and some pork that was good. The only thing I didn't like was the Chittering Sausage, think maybe that must be an acquired taste?

For the quality of the food I also thought the pricing was reasonable.

I will go back here again to try something else.

Edited by rws85
  • Thanks 1

For the quality of the food I also thought the pricing was reasonable.

Can we have a clue as to what that pricing was?

Was 3 adults and child eating, we ordered one entree that was big enough to share, 3 mains, French fries for the child and a bottle of red wine was 2,800฿.
  • Like 1

Went back there tonight, we had the same Venison Terrine entree.

Tonight we ordered the Lamb Shanks, very tasty I thought. The Groper, which maybe was a little bit dry but still very nice and one of the better piece of fish I've tried in Thailand and the pork again.

One thing that did surprise us tonight was after we paid the bill we all got one free glass of Wine that we had been drinking.

Still happy with my second experience, will go back again but not as soon. Recommend to others to try it.

• Thanks 1

Still happy with my second experience, will go back again but not as soon. Recommend to others to try it.

If you want a change I think you should try the place opposite the top of Soi Lengkee that I mentioned. You should find it interesting to compare.

If you want a change I think you should try the place opposite the top of Soi Lengkee that I mentioned. You should find it interesting to compare.

I have often looked at that restaurant but never been inside, will try one day.

There is a new Shinanigans grub and pub place at the old Peacock Resort out on SSCC at Maprachan Lake. Those familiar with the area will know the place I'm referring too. Don't know if it's affiliated in any way with the folks who had the original Shinanigans at Royal Garden and later The Avenue.

There is a new Shinanigans grub and pub place at the old Peacock Resort out on SSCC at Maprachan Lake. Those familiar with the area will know the place I'm referring too. Don't know if it's affiliated in any way with the folks who had the original Shinanigans at Royal Garden and later The Avenue.

As far as I know it's the same management as the Shenanigans in Jomtien.

Shanghai Chinese Restaurant

3rd road, west side, not far down from North Pattaya Road

Just a report on a revisit to one of my favorite local restaurants.

This place has always been reliable for their dumping and noodle (hand pulled) options but the rest of their menu has been less consistent over the years.

Well on my recent visit I very much enjoyed the Chongqing hot spicy chicken (not called that on the menu, see picture) ordered extra spicy.

Without prompting it came with noticeable Sechuan peppers (numbing kind) which hasn't been the case there in the past, even when asking for them.

Considering the prices levels (low for Chinese food here) this place is a gem worth appreciating.

From facebook, the dish, not my picture:

post-37101-0-63003400-1452195252_thumb.j

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shanghai-Restaurant-3Rd-Road-Pattaya/270011699847938

Map on facebook not accurate.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Had dinner at the Freelax cafe tonight, behind the buffalo bar on third rd.

The place was packed, lucky to get a table and for good reason, cheap food that was very nice.

It's a French restaurant with a very big menu, most expensive dish I think was 260฿. We had 3 entrees, 5 mains, a plate of chips and 9 glasses of red wine for 1,880฿.

I am not familiar in that area, could you give me the exact location, thanks.

• Like 1

Had dinner at the Freelax cafe tonight, behind the buffalo bar on third rd.

The place was packed, lucky to get a table and for good reason, cheap food that was very nice.

It's a French restaurant with a very big menu, most expensive dish I think was 260฿. We had 3 entrees, 5 mains, a plate of chips and 9 glasses of red wine for 1,880฿.

I am not familiar in that area, could you give me the exact location, thanks.

Have to admit rws. You got my attention as well as I'm not familiar with the place either. Is it strictly french cuisine?

• Like 1