The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

It's where the failed Jocky's Restaurant was.

I am led to believe it is the same owners as Steak & Co.

While I would not be surprised if Jocky's failed as the food awful, but whoever had put some money into the place. What I saw at Smokin Joes was a double shop house ground level which had been gutted. No way IMHO they would have gutted Jocky's to such an extent. I'll ride by tomorrow and make some observations. Cheers mate. Bad food will kill any restaurant. 

• Like 1

A detail about Simon's Israeli restaurant previously mentioned. I had confused their regular beef kebab with the Romanian style. Now as I have had both I'd say definitely go with regular Israeli style choice. It's got some interesting green vegetable flavoring inside it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2016 at 6:03 PM, Jingthing said:

Simon's "Oriental" Israeli food restaurant

Relocated from Soi 17 to Soi Bukaow area

in the Soi Bukaow market parallel to Central Pattaya Beach Mall.

Enter the large market space from Soi Bukaow, it's on the RIGHT hand side and walk up one set of stairs. 
You can see the sign from the ground level in the market.

There seems to be a North African and Yemeni influence in the Israeli food there.

This is everyday style fairly extensive Israeli food menu. Breakfast/lunch/dinner.

For example, hummus in many styles, pita sandwiches in many styles, Romanian beef kebab, chicken soup (Israeli style, not Eastern European style), BBQ chicken, chicken schnitzel, fried fish, falafel, bourekas (savory pastry with filling), "Chamin" Sephardic sabbath stew meal on Saturdays.

Even Australian beef steaks and lamb are available. 

Sample price, hummus w/ tahina and pita, 100 baht.

Main dishes served with two sides, Israeli salad and a starch (rice/couscous/chips).

English menu so accessible to the non-Hebronic. 

Very casual place. Not gourmet level but cozy and filling.

Try the "Zhug" green Yemenite hot sauce.

' There seems to be a North African and Yemeni influence in the Israeli food there ' Yah think? Sine the 60s the jews have been burnt out or bombed out of their homes and shops in North African and other Arab countries.  The Saudis drove out all Christians and Jews in the early 60s. The Libyans burnt them out in 67 for having the temerity to win a war against Nasser and not behave like good little Dhimmis. Yes their is a cross over between Arab and Jewish Cuisine - I look forwards to the 'Zhug Green' sauce.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2016 at 10:22 AM, BruceMangosteen said:

Meat always taste different in other parts of the world. Take Australian beef as an example. It has that wild game taste which I feel like Conan the Barbarian when eating. There is no way New Zealand lamb is the same cost as Pattaya raised goat, yet the Indian restaurants charge as if New Zealand lamb for "mutton" dishes. Shame on them. I thought Halal meat was restricted to fowl, not beef or lamb? Doesn't matter.

You were correct on the location of the Rasio Indian. I went last night in disguise and in addition to seeing said restaurant, I carefully noted the staff out back's behaviour and peeked into the kitchen, which was a mess. Along that hotel entrance I was also approached by two Uzbekistan hookers. To my shock, they spoke Hindu as well as some English. Asked for 2000.Baht prepaid right there on said street before coming to my room across the street at the Nova Platinum(where I said I was staying). I was shocked to learn Indian guys prepay such sums to ladies looking like these two, but I guess they figure it's "group sex" which means six or eight guys in the room. They weren't "stunners" by any stretch of one's imagination. Large boo-sums and large <deleted> and middle aged women. Shocking all of it. ps: Food at Indian Touch was good!

Mutton is mutton- Lamb is lamb and goat is goat. They are not swopped around and have different tasets and uses. Jamaicans curry goat more commonly than Indians. Lamb is used in delicate Indian dishes such as kebabs however mutton is thought to have a better taste for curries and needs longer cooking. Baby goat-Kid is the national dish of Portugal. It is now becoming fashion again in mainstream foodie culture just as brisket and beef check had become popular recently.

7 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Aussues know BarBQ Brits don't. Not really true. Just a silly generalisation. It depends on who is doing it. Undoubtededly Aussis to more BBQ because off the weather but little by way of real food. South African Brie is far superior to Australian BBQ. I learned to BBQ in the 60s in the states and I soon learned NEVER to use that vile bottled barbecue smoky sauce that tastes of chemicals.  The Steak company has an excellent range of beef-good services and a very knowledgeable headwaiter. The quality of berfvdoes not depend on its country of origin but it's breed- what it'd been fed on- how it was butchered as well as how it was slaughtered and how long it was hung and it's age. The big fashion in Europe is now for 20 year old beef from parts of Spain and France.  It had a lot of taste. I like steak and I  love BBQ but deep-downknow it's crass cuisine. Fun yes- but shallow. Thus many Austalians' claim to have expertise in the area.

Friendly reminder from the O.P. --

Less debate. 

More restaurant information.

PLEASE.

This topic is about information about Pattaya restaurants.

There will be tangents of course, no problem, but please respect the main FOCUS. 

If it becomes MOSTLY tangents, then the thread loses value. 

The original O.P. from years ago:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Well, I did find it. JiM's Burger I refer. I did in fact have a meal there. The burgers are offered with various toppings and a "small" burger was/is 190 Baht, basic burger with cheese and bacon and I think jalapanos? Anyhow, that was the least expensive other than some off shoots such as veggie burger and/or chicken. Chicken might have been the same or more. It's small. They mean small. Large is offered at apx 100 Baht more bringing the total for a "large" burger to apx 170-220 Baht. I didn't see the large one, but the small is well, just sort of like a fancy triple White Castle size burger with toppings. The onion rings and fries etc. were 59 Baht and an average size portion. Enough, but not large like you get some places. Nice atmosphere, have AC and good service and a lot of beer choices which of course also cost real money. I was told there are two other locations in Bankgok. It's not for those who care about or watch their money, but if you enjoy a decent burger once and a while, perhaps worth a try. I don't think I'll be back, but who knows. It's location is okay, between Big Eye and Big C, the Soi behind same, same side as Big C. As mentioned, there is a fenced in basketball setting out front. Sort of a nice touch to be honest. There were some promotions in effect but I won't mention them here. Bottom line, Bangkok pricing in Pattaya. I've seen those attempts fail more often than succeed. Time will tell. 

Nice report. However, for me, if I want a burger, it's Carl's Jr. at Central. Lots of beef, chicken, and even veggie burger choices, regular, curly, even sweet potato fries, and milkshakes, with a nice sea-view to boot.

• Thanks 1

Just FYI...New York Pizza will be opening a second branch, on Darkside, soon on Soi Khow Noi just opposite Mike Orchid Villas. The fact my pizza pies will reach me in half the time as before I take as further evidence of the "downhill" Pattaya slide. :lol:

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

35 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Just FYI...New York Pizza will be opening a second branch, on Darkside, soon on Soi Khow Noi just opposite Mike Orchid Villas. The fact my pizza pies will reach me in half the time as before I take as further evidence of the "downhill" Pattaya slide. :lol:

What is good about this pizza place ?

12 hours ago, The manic said:

I like the newly reopened Abuerge du Pierre on Pratumnak Just near soi 4. Excellent French food - good prices and excellent wine list. If you live in the Pratumnak area it is an excellent resource.

Is it better now that it is open again ? (they closed fr a long time)

20 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Well, I did find it. JiM's Burger I refer. ... They mean small. Large is offered at apx 100 Baht more bringing the total for a "large" burger to apx 170-220 Baht. I didn't see the large one, but the small is well, just sort of like a fancy triple White Castle size burger with toppings....

I see I had a typo or a brain cramp...The large would be 270-320 Baht. The small, which as I repeat again, is small...is apx. 190 Baht...Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2016 at 1:44 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Just cruised by and you were correct. Jocky's is gone. I now think you were also correct on location. I however remain confused why they gutted it. I suppose the Jocky's guy/people had just taken enough losses and either found a buyer for the stuff or tossed it rather than give it away. I'm talking about a lot of AC's, TV's, and all the equipment. Life goes on. Another farang takes his loss and moves on. Cheers and O O. Restaurants and bars in Pattaya, both a risky "investment". Opening a restaurant with crap food is sort of like opening a GoGo with older worn out ladies full of tattoos the Thai guys have long since sent packing to the farangs...the cycle never ceases to amaze me.

BTW, in case you're wondering what a ponzone is. I've never seen that dish offered anywhere else, in Thailand or the USA than right here in Pattaya at the New York Pizza House.  No, it's not the same as a calzone. 

menu07.jpg

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AsianExport said:

What is good about this pizza place ?

There have been long discussions about pizza in Pattaya, but New York Pizza has survived which is saying something, and they seem to have a lot of regular customers including myself. Bottom line, it's as good as we can get here in Pattaya and they deliver promptly. NOTE: I don't really like "Italian" pizza aka bread with a touch of sauce and salami and the ever present Italian attitude about food surpassed only by the French. What "attitude" you ask/wonder? well..more concern about how it looks and is presented vs taste and value. Cheers mate and O O. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, they distinguish themselves in this market by offering a real deal American style of pizza. Some others in that specific market  (more or less) are the American chains (which I can't speak to), Pastrami and Rye, and Rich Man Poor Man. There are multiple American pizza styles of course and the pizza topic is big enough for multiple threads in itself! 

For people who are not sure if they like any American style of pizza, I think trying New York Pizza House is worth trying over all the American style competition. In my view, there are many styles of good pizza! But it gets more complex because it's a really different experience with the different crust thickness choices. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, they distinguish themselves in this market by offering a real deal American style of pizza. Others in that specific market  (more or less) are the American chains (which I can't speak to), Pastrami and Rye, Brooklyn Pizza, and Rich Man Poor Man. There are multiple American pizza styles of course and the pizza topic is big enough for multiple threads in itself! 

No pizza at Rich Man Poor Man that I'm aware of or have seen. I can speak about the American chains Domino's and Pizza Hut. They suck here in Thailand. The Pizza Company, a Thai outfit or offshoot of Pizza Hut also sucks. Brooklyn doesn't deserve mention. Not tried Pastrami and Rye as put off by their Pastrami sandwich being so small and not been back. To each his very own. OO and God Bless. I'm going to Simons soon so your correction of my review better have had been correct. I would swear the water was 30 Baht and I know my mate didn't get his fries either in, on, or with his order which indicated same. Whoppers at Burger King now come with a salad "inside the sandwich"....Please mate...we shall however wait and see..

Maybe, OK probably, Rich Man Poor Man doesn't do pizza anymore. They used to. I didn't really like it. I wasn't recommending any place except New York Pizza House and what I really like there is not the pizza, but the ponzone. Just indicating there was more than one player in the American pizza niche market.

Thanks for the info on chains. Big chains are generally not on my radar for most types of food.

Yes the bottled water is 20 baht at Simon's. Check the menu. As I said if you want fries in your sandwich you do need to ASK for them and there will only be a few. I was told the more substantial sandwiches need to go in baguettes there, like schnitzels. Again, geez dude, with ISRAELI sandwiches it's common to speak of "salad" IN the sandwich.  Duh -- it doesn't LITERALLY mean a full serving of "salad" inside the sandwich ... just means some Israeli style green stuff in there. 

It's not Burger King.

BTW ... if the water isn't 20 baht and I "better" be correct, what are you going to do ... call your lawyer or something? :stoner:

A platter plate I would suggest there is the BBQ chicken  (220 I think), comes with two sides which you can specify. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

BTW ... if the water isn't 20 baht and I "better" be correct, what are you going to do ... call your lawyer or something? :stoner:

I won't accept your excuses for the lack of a salad and fries. Most others won't either. However, your claiming I made up the 30 Baht water has bothered me to a point I'm going to actually go and check it out. There are drugs for my anger but I'm not into drugs. Worst of all is I tried the "ponzone" thing and hated it. I try and keep your discussion going with various remarks but please don't steer me/us to frauds on salad and fries offerings using the excuse it's our lack of English or understanding the culture etc. and food without any taste! like this ponzone thing. It was total crap. Okay, I might go to Richman Poorman for some pecan pie with ice creme unless you know a closer to town option? Wicked.

8 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

There have been long discussions about pizza in Pattaya, but New York Pizza has survived which is saying something, and they seem to have a lot of regular customers including myself. Bottom line, it's as good as we can get here in Pattaya and they deliver promptly. NOTE: I don't really like "Italian" pizza aka bread with a touch of sauce and salami and the ever present Italian attitude about food surpassed only by the French. What "attitude" you ask/wonder? well..more concern about how it looks and is presented vs taste and value. Cheers mate and O O. 

Someone who does not like italian pizza does not like pizza.

If he also does not know that indian food price is fair, he really knows nothing actually.

Edited by AsianExport
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Just cruised by and you were correct. Jocky's is gone. I now think you were also correct on location. I however remain confused why they gutted it. I suppose the Jocky's guy/people had just taken enough losses and either found a buyer for the stuff or tossed it rather than give it away.

Jocky's was the same stable as the Coins on BuaKhao ..... I guess they could use it elsewhere ?