The Truth And Nothing But The Truth Please....

bobobo

I would beg to differ on the traffic, At this time of the year it is really bad. Chiang Mai seems to be the destination point for every one with a car going on holiday at this time of the year. As for the pollution it causes.

I had to laugh. I met a few old ladies two weeks ago and pollution came up. They were visiting from the states and in their late 60s and early 70s. I said that it was about like it is now (Dec.16) most of the year with the exception of the smoke season. They just laughed and said that there was no pollution now they had grown up in L. A. and this was not pollution.

You are correct that the traffic is bad currently and will remain extremely bad through Songran. That is basically 1/2 the year. There still is very bad traffic during the off peak tourist season months. The air quality improves with less inversion and the rain. Without the rain the AQI would still be unhealthy. Another issue I have is that AQI isn't measured where the tourists are which are near the roads and, just a guess, the reading would probably in the 150+ range even now.

I have lived in LA and the ladies you were talking to were just talking without basing their comments on reality. I think the air quality in LA is the worst in the USA because of the inversion issues they have. CM has the same issues with worse congestion and filthy cars ( not all but it only takes 10% to do the damage). LA, Ca link below and LA doesn't usually come close to the extremes during certain times here.

http://www3.aqmd.gov...i2/VEMap3D.aspx

I get that you love it here and can relate. I did love it and the last few years have been hanging on. Just too noisy and I like cleaner air. I have been complaining the last few days but there are still nice things about CM. I have been tying to focus on the good and have had some good times in between the hacking cough smile.png

I said they grew up in the LA area it was far worse there then than it is now. If I remember correctly you weren't even born when they grew up. I believe you said you were 45 or 46.

I come from Kelowna BC it is in a valley and tends to get the heat inversions also but I have no more problem with it here than I did there.

As for noise yes we sure have that but I grew up next to a highway and learned to ignore it. So for me this is still a wonderful place to live.

January is fine, most of February is usually fine, last week of February until the first rains are when it might/will get bad.

This is generally the most accurate answer, op, but why not do a month here and a month elsewhere to be sure?

I said they grew up in the LA area it was far worse there then than it is now. If I remember correctly you weren't even born when they grew up. I believe you said you were 45 or 46.

I come from Kelowna BC it is in a valley and tends to get the heat inversions also but I have no more problem with it here than I did there.

As for noise yes we sure have that but I grew up next to a highway and learned to ignore it. So for me this is still a wonderful place to live.

Makes sense and if CM works for you then swell. It has its positives and I'll probably come back for a month during the rainy season. I'll stay near the 700 stadium and I expect it will be fine.

re.

Another issue I have is that AQI isn't measured where the tourists are which are near the roads

it is ! ... pic taken 21 dec 12

6 feet from the road at thaphae gate !

dave2

Wow, is that the only measuring device. I thought they had a few throughout the city.

Three in total I think and that's for the province.

Edited by chiang mai

As others have noted, it is the rice field burning season. As well, I would not characterize the weather as "mildly cool" in March. Best time of the year is Nov - Dec. The rainy season (about May - Oct) can be nice, too, if you like truly impressive rainstorms. The worst time of year, IMHO, is late Feb until the rains at the end of April or in May.

Here are two photos that I think illustrate well the difference between the smoky and non smoky times in North Thailand. Note that these photos are from near Mae Sai which was significantly smokier than Chiang Mai last year.

This pic taken in early December 2012

post-18801-0-26323400-1356996846_thumb.j

This pic taken in early March 2012 from roughly the same spot. You can just make out the outline of the mountain if you look carefully

post-18801-0-22951000-1356996849_thumb.j

post-18801-0-26323400-1356996846_thumb.j

post-18801-0-22951000-1356996849_thumb.j

Ok, let me rephrase the question : Would You recommend me to go to CM during this period. I'm not so fragile .))

Come up and if it gets too bad you can always get a cheap flight to Bangkok for some fresh air.

Bkk's air is polluted by trafficsick.gif