The Truth And Nothing But The Truth Please....

bobobo

Hallo all BM:s in CM !

I plan to change location during mid Jan to mid March. I stay in Pattaya. In a weak moment I promised a family in Europe that they could stay in my condo during two months. I thought never mind, I can go and have a look at CM for two months. Never been there. Have looked internet, looks really beautiful with many nice places too see. My friends are telling that I'm not going to see anything because of the smoke and the air is sticky no sun, cold etc,etc

NOW, please me tell the truth is really that bad ? Come on BM:s in CM, tell me how's the situation during the period I mention?

All info much appreciated..

Ok, let me rephrase the question : Would You recommend me to go to CM during this period. I'm not so fragile .))

Come up and if it gets too bad you can always get a cheap flight to Bangkok for some fresh air.

When i read between the lines i understand that it can be pretty bad some days during this period. But I think I go up there and have a look, and as You said tfc I can always go to Bangkok for fresh air :):) Thanks for the info. Happy New Year to You all..

December is are cold month. As has been mentioned the smoke varies year to year. Two years ago we had a lot of rain and hardly any smoke.

Yes you might find it colder than Pattaya That is true of any part of the year. Unless you are on a motor bike or back of a tuck tuck it should not be a concern. For myself it is warm only chilly in the mornings in December and part of a January.

As for humidity well that is a personal thing I find it humid any place in Thailand any time of the year.

You might get scared of by the smoke but you will see enough to want to come back when it is clear.

January is fine, most of February is usually fine, last week of February until the first rains are when it might/will get bad. 2011 was great as the rains first came in mid-February so we didn't get any smoke. But those downstream paid the price with the big flood.

My baby is due end of February, beginning of March. What a welcome to the world that's going to be! Here's to some mid February rain.

• Like 1

i agree with tfc.... been here 4 yrs and it varies from year to year... hard to tell how its going to be... last year was the worst for us..and we still survived... next year... who knows?

How do you know you survived? Your life may have been shortened, without you knowing it......

Ok, let me rephrase the question : Would You recommend me to go to CM during this period. I'm not so fragile .))

If you are a Pattaya hand then you are bound to be disappointed at what is on offer for entertainment, why choke at the same time? Choose a better time of year so you can at least enjoy the inorganic sights.

Personally, I would not recommend March and the first 15 days in April.

Are you saying skip Songkhran? From what I have heard it is not as long as in Pattaya.

Edited by hellodolly

Don't do it if you like clean air and want to experience nature. A couple posters above mentioned you can climb above the pollution which Isn't accurate. I'm an extremely active person and find myself above 1400 meters almost every day while biking and running. The pollution is bad now even at this elevation and will get much worse (most years). You can still see the city from Doi Suthep, albeit not clearly. By the end of January, you won't be able to see Dio Suthep from anywhere in the city and the Airport will have its night landing lights on all day so planes can find the runway.

Almost forgot, if you want to come to CM and have to travel 1-2 hours through horrendous traffic to escape the pollution wouldn't that be why not to come? As another poster mentioned, he survived last season and if survival is your goal, you will too survive.

The smoke is dreadful and it can kill, last year was a prime example,hospitals overflowing with those affected during Feb/March in particular.

Don't come at those times if you don't have to. For us it is the only downside for Chiang Mai, the rest of the year can't think of anywhere else we a would rather live.

As for the traffic being the main culprit, well I guess the rest of the year the vehicles are not throwing out as much crap as they do in Feb/March and the pungent smell of smoke,falling ash, and the fire maps are simply an illusion.

As for the traffic being the main culprit, well I guess the rest of the year the vehicles are not throwing out as much crap as they do in Feb/March and the pungent smell of smoke,falling ash, and the fire maps are simply an illusion.

Sorry, doesn't make any sense. You were quoting an earlier post of mine. It is December now and not February and March. So yes cars are an issue in December, January, February and March as well as the rest of the year. The fires are incremental pollution thrown on top of the awful pollution that would still be here without the fires.

CM is a very densely populated city with poor infrastructure and practically no vehicle pollution controls. The inversion now and the next few months is the "main" reason for the pollution. Nothing can be done about that stopping the fires would still leave CM in a haze. If you believe you are living in a pristine and tranquil city more power to you. It is all perception and your perception makes you a much happier person than I am at the moment. I just made my first visit to the hospital because of respiratory issues which are near impossible to avoid here if you enjoy prolonged exercise outdoors.

As Lawrence stated, you can escape the pollution by going to cinema and going to Swensons(another thread). We all have our definitions of tranquility on this forum. In the end, many posters are at peace with what I'm am not. IMO, your attitude is healthy and I will move to a place "I deem" clean and tranquil.

Sorry, doesn't make any sense. You were quoting an earlier post of mine. It is December now and not February and March. So yes cars are an issue in December, January, February and March as well as the rest of the year. The fires are incremental pollution thrown on top of the awful pollution that would still be here without the fires.

CM is a very densely populated city with poor infrastructure and practically no vehicle pollution controls. The inversion now and the next few months is the "main" reason for the pollution. Nothing can be done about that stopping the fires would still leave CM in a haze. If you believe you are living in a pristine and tranquil city more power to you. It is all perception and your perception makes you a much happier person than I am at the moment. I just made my first visit to the hospital because of respiratory issues which are near impossible to avoid here if you enjoy prolonged exercise outdoors.

As Lawrence stated, you can escape the pollution by going to cinema and going to Swensons(another thread). We all have our definitions of tranquility on this forum. In the end, many posters are at peace with what I'm am not. IMO, your attitude is healthy and I will move to a place "I deem" clean and tranquil.

Good post, I've highlighted the parts I think are especially relevant for newbies to consider.

I would beg to differ on the traffic, At this time of the year it is really bad. Chiang Mai seems to be the destination point for every one with a car going on holiday at this time of the year. As for the pollution it causes.

I had to laugh. I met a few old ladies two weeks ago and pollution came up. They were visiting from the states and in their late 60s and early 70s. I said that it was about like it is now (Dec.16) most of the year with the exception of the smoke season. They just laughed and said that there was no pollution now they had grown up in L. A. and this was not pollution.

I would beg to differ on the traffic, At this time of the year it is really bad. Chiang Mai seems to be the destination point for every one with a car going on holiday at this time of the year. As for the pollution it causes.

I had to laugh. I met a few old ladies two weeks ago and pollution came up. They were visiting from the states and in their late 60s and early 70s. I said that it was about like it is now (Dec.16) most of the year with the exception of the smoke season. They just laughed and said that there was no pollution now they had grown up in L. A. and this was not pollution.

You are correct that the traffic is bad currently and will remain extremely bad through Songran. That is basically 1/2 the year. There still is very bad traffic during the off peak tourist season months. The air quality improves with less inversion and the rain. Without the rain the AQI would still be unhealthy. Another issue I have is that AQI isn't measured where the tourists are which are near the roads and, just a guess, the reading would probably in the 150+ range even now.

I have lived in LA and the ladies you were talking to were just talking without basing their comments on reality. I think the air quality in LA is the worst in the USA because of the inversion issues they have. CM has the same issues with worse congestion and filthy cars ( not all but it only takes 10% to do the damage). LA, Ca link below and LA doesn't usually come close to the extremes during certain times here.

http://www3.aqmd.gov/webappl/gisaqi2/VEMap3D.aspx

I get that you love it here and can relate. I did love it and the last few years have been hanging on. Just too noisy and I like cleaner air. I have been complaining the last few days but there are still nice things about CM. I have been tying to focus on the good and have had some good times in between the hacking cough :)

The best advice I can give you........ [25 + years here] come on up and enjoy yourself with what IS here.

All my years here and the only time I even think or hear about the haze is when some complainer has nothing else worthwhile to yak about....It doesn't bother me and I don't pay attention to it..... I found CM to be my most perferred spot and I enjoy it....I don't think anywhere is the garden of eden and don't go looking for it.

Come up with an open mind..... experience what is here...... you will either enjoy it and will be back, or not like it and not return. But you now have enough of others opinions, come and you be the judge for you.

I really hope you come and you come to like it and the people as much as I do

Happy New Year to you in any event.

G

The best advice I can give you........ [25 + years here] come on up and enjoy yourself with what IS here.

All my years here and the only time I even think or hear about the haze is when some complainer has nothing else worthwhile to yak about....It doesn't bother me and I don't pay attention to it..... I found CM to be my most perferred spot and I enjoy it....I don't think anywhere is the garden of eden and don't go looking for it.

Come up with an open mind..... experience what is here...... you will either enjoy it and will be back, or not like it and not return. But you now have enough of others opinions, come and you be the judge for you.

G

Actually I will..I'm now looking at the internet for a small condo to rent..see You up there ! Happy New Year to You too..

G

Good advice and you are correct, he should have enough opinions by now to make a choice. It all depends on the individual and their needs. I still find it interesting how i can see the city so differently than yourself. It would be a little boring if we were all the same :)