Rental Agreement Needed For 12 Month Visa - Retirement

Hi All,

Happy & Healthy New Year to one and all.

Wife and I well on the way to a Non O VISA 12 month purposes retirement.

Presently at the 90 day stage.

While organising the above Immigration mentioned that I should bring a rental agreement when I extend to the 12 Month.

Point is that wife and I are currently staying in a very nice guest house and although looking at possibilities of a Condo we are in no hurry.

Want to be sure all is going well and not rush things.

How do others get around this problem?

I think I could get a letter from present stay point confirming and we do book 3 months at a time for best rates etc.

Certainly I can furnish receipts for payment.

But it is not really a rental contract per se.

Will a letter + receipts satisfy them - anyone with any experience out there? This would appear to be our last 'hurdle';

Best Rgds.

Factseeker.

Edited by factseeker

You'll be OK - just show rent receipts, a business card (if there is such) from your guest house, and be prepared to draw a (rough) sketch of the location of your lodgings.

This is what I was asked to present at Ranong Immi Office April this year. AA

Can't see it being a problem.

Many Thais rent guest house rooms long term.

You can explain to immigration that you haven't found a suitable condo as yet.

And will update new address when you have located suitable long term accommodation.

Our lease has long expired and we are just paying by month but we may be in same position for us imm visa.

Our apt would only let one of us sign. They stated would write letter of my occupancy. I did not want to.sign because tech technically complicated by situation even on TR.

See if they will issue you a lettet.

Some are asked - others are not - I have never been asked since change to retirement a decade ago but from file they can see I am at the same address.

Thnxs all.

I have drafted a letter myself - based on some phrases picked from my bank letter - will get Guest House to type out their version.

Take with receipts and card - let you know how it goes.

Best Rgds.

FS

You may have created extra work for yourself. We've stayed at several places in Thailand and everytime we go to the manager and say we're going to Immigration and need a letter confirming our residence, they disappear to their computer and whip something out in a few mintues. It won't be the first time they've been asked for this document.

Is this something new? Because I have never had to provide any such proof for an retirement extension.

Yes. A couple of times I was asked if I rented or owned my condo ... I do own it ... but have never been asked for proof/documentation and the past couple of years no one has even asked that.

Just trying to piggyback on this topic. Does the letter providing proof of funds have to be an original signed letter, or can my bank in the US email or fax it to me? Would this satisfy immigration?

You'll be OK - just show rent receipts, a business card (if there is such) from your guest house, and be prepared to draw a (rough) sketch of the location of your lodgings.

This is what I was asked to present at Ranong Immi Office April this year. AA

My friend was asked to produce a "Residency paper", which can be obtained at the Tesabaan, showing your Visa, a copy of the Tabien Baan, and a rental agreement (in HDY it it is free of charge). The drawing can be made easy by a printscreen of your location at Google maps.

Just trying to piggyback on this topic. Does the letter providing proof of funds have to be an original signed letter, or can my bank in the US email or fax it to me? Would this satisfy immigration?

You need to show proof of funds in Thailand for a retirement visa, and yes has to be original plus two coppies.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

You need to show proof of funds in Thailand for a retirement visa, and yes has to be original plus two coppies.

Just to be clear. I received my O-A 6 months ago, and since I did not yet live here, I only showed funds in the US. Will this be okay for my next renewel, or do the funds really have to be in Thailand.. Since it wasn't for the first time, are you sure that it needs to here in thailand, or any bank in the world?

If you are in Thailand you will not be "renewing" , that is, applying for another O-A visa.

You will be applying for an "extension of stay" on your existing visa, for one year.

You can apply for this extension of permission to stay indefinitely every year after that.

Thus you will still only have your original O-A visa , now expired, and be allowed to stay indefinitely on it through the annual application for extension.

For this you need to show 800 000B in a THAI bank account for at least two months before you apply for the extension the first time, and for three months before all subsequent extensions.

You can also provide proof of income of 65000B per month as a qualification for this extension (or a combined Thai bank account and proof of income that together add up to 800 000B annually).

The other way to do it would be to return to your home country and reapply for a new O-A visa, providing the Police and Medical certificates, and the proof of funds in a bank in your home country (or elsewhere).

Most people would find the extension procedure within Thailand (for which you do not need medical or police certificates) more convenient.

Just to be clear. I received my O-A 6 months ago, and since I did not yet live here, I only showed funds in the US. Will this be okay for my next renewel, or do the funds really have to be in Thailand.. Since it wasn't for the first time, are you sure that it needs to here in thailand, or any bank in the world?

If you have a multi entry O-A you receive a new one year stay for any entry during the validity of the visa (one year from date of issue) so no funds would be required for almost two years. But to extend in Thailand the funds or Embassy proof of income must be in Thailand.

Since you are going on a retiree extension, you might consider bringing the rental agreement you mentioned, but don't present it unless you are specifically asked for it , then let us know what happened. I've been told a number of times in the past that the next time I need to produce certain documents/receipts, etc., but have never been asked to present them when I go renew the visa (although I bring them each time). Copies of following documents are probably required everywhere for retirement extension:

Mandatory in most cases

• Copy of passport, issue page, issue location page (if different), first visa, last visa
  • 2 photos 4cm x 6cm
  • Embassy letter or affidavit
  • Proof of retirement income
  • Copy of bankbook showing transaction for 3 months prior visa renewal date
  • TM Form 7 application for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom

Just in case items:

You might be asked for these, or you might not. I have been asked for some of these in the past, but have not always had to sjhow them.

• Map to where you live
  • Depending on how you bring in money, you might need some proof of the source and receipts, as well as deposit slips to show that you put the money in your account.
  • If your fund transfers involve the use of foreign-issued credit cards, you might be asked to produce a copy of the credit card(s). The safest way is the xerox the card(s), but be sure to cover up all but the last 4 digits of the card number on the front of the card, and cover up the CVV number on the back of the card before making the copy.
  • Make sure your 90 reporting slip is stapled into your passport..
  • Rental agreement or other proof showing where where you live

Some of you can probably add to this list. Don't ask me where I extend my visa.

Edited by caughtintheact

For my retirement-based extension of stay all Jomtien immigration ever wanted (apart from the obvious photos and passport copies etc) was my bank book showing 800K and bank letter confirming same, and any sort of receipt showing an address here. For my first extension this was a receipt for the current month from a Pattaya guest house. These days I use my cable internet bill or electricity bill.

Jomtien immigration may be particularly easy though.

Some are asked - others are not - I have never been asked since change to retirement a decade ago but from file they can see I am at the same address.

Lopburi3 - Why do you think they check a file (e.g. computerized database)?

During my visits to Immo in Phuket and Bangkok over the past four years I don't see any evidence that there is a national database about ex-pats (other than those needed for legal proceeedings).

If you are in Thailand you will not be "renewing" , that is, applying for another O-A visa.

You will be applying for an "extension of stay" on your existing visa, for one year.

You can apply for this extension of permission to stay indefinitely every year after that.

Thus you will still only have your original O-A visa , now expired, and be allowed to stay indefinitely on it through the annual application for extension.

For this you need to show 800 000B in a THAI bank account for at least two months before you apply for the extension the first time, and for three months before all subsequent extensions.

You can also provide proof of income of 65000B per month as a qualification for this extension (or a combined Thai bank account and proof of income that together add up to 800 000B annually).

The other way to do it would be to return to your home country and reapply for a new O-A visa, providing the Police and Medical certificates, and the proof of funds in a bank in your home country (or elsewhere).

Most people would find the extension procedure within Thailand (for which you do not need medical or police certificates) more convenient.

Thank you for repsonse. Everyone has been great, and I am saving all of the info for August.

Lopburi3 - Why do you think they check a file (e.g. computerized database)?

During my visits to Immo in Phuket and Bangkok over the past four years I don't see any evidence that there is a national database about ex-pats (other than those needed for legal proceeedings).

Because I have seen them do it. Until very recently it was a huge file that had to be retrieved prior to interview (which is why you were restricted to not more than 30 days early as that was what they had available for manual search in racks behind the desks (Bangkok). They now have a database of information and have seen them reading it during process (they changed our official address with a new number system and noted officer checking previous and current numbers not matching and mentioned why several years ago). Another time they did a manual search of photos trying to find if the photo I submitted that day had been used previously (not older than six months is the rule and they were checking close that year). They do not throw away all that paper we provide.

That's right -- they don't throw away all that paper -- it's carefully filed away by a small army of workers, whom appear to be college interns in Chiang Mai.

Several times I've had to wait outside the big guy's office waiting to talk to him about a visa extension for a third party. The big entertainment is watching the interns sit quietly at their table, staring out into the chaos of the CM Immigration office. It's strange, they don't talk among themselves, but just wait for an immigration officer to come and throw someone's extension application paperwork at them. Then one gets up, scurries to a bank of filing cabinets and pulls out a file on the applicant. That is reviewed by the I/O, and then bundled with the current extension application for a trip into big guy's office for a signature. And yes, they do look for things like whether you're trying to use last year's photo or if you address has changed.

Edited by NancyL

Because I have seen them do it. Until very recently it was a huge file that had to be retrieved prior to interview (which is why you were restricted to not more than 30 days early as that was what they had available for manual search in racks behind the desks (Bangkok). They now have a database of information and have seen them reading it during process (they changed our official address with a new number system and noted officer checking previous and current numbers not matching and mentioned why several years ago). Another time they did a manual search of photos trying to find if the photo I submitted that day had been used previously (not older than six months is the rule and they were checking close that year). They do not throw away all that paper we provide.

I've never seen anything like that at Jomtien. And what "interview" is that? No one has ever said a word to me for my extensions. You walk in with the various photocopies and the money, you wait for your number to come up, they check the photocopies and take the money, and the next day you come back and pick up your passport. Tedious, certainly, but very simple and straightforward, and no verbal input required.

I've never seen anything like that at Jomtien.

Same in Nakorn Pathom. You give the paperwork to one of the officers, he checks it all, you pay him, he stamps the extension in your passport and notes the extension in a big ledger. It then goes to the big guy at the back of the office who doubles checks it and initials the extension. He then gives you your passport back. Takes about 10 minutes once your turn comes up.

No files are referenced and the guys involved do not have computer terminals on their desks.

Perhaps you now know the reason the process is not immediate at Jomtien as it is at most other locations. My guess is a review between submission and signing off by officer is used to for any suspect application and in case of issues would be addressed on return for pickup. In other cases the approving officer may make a check prior to signing off. Yes for retirement it is normally a very fast and easy process but they do have access to previous applications if they feel the need to review but with time constraints this is likely less than in the past (especially for retirement).