Is Hay Fever A Problem In The Chiang Mai Area?

thaibeachlovers

In the UK I used to get real bad hay fever from grass pollen in June/July....the only time I get similar symptoms here is during the burning season....only on the really bad days when you can't even see Doi Suthep from say Kad Central.

As has been said by others 'hay fever' is specific to the person not to the area. It is your individual allergies that cause the reaction. Chiang Mai has a complex set of micro-climates thanks to the combination of geography/topography, the effects of agriculture & industry, the in-bound weather fro neighbouring countries and of course so region-specific issues such a biomass burning at certain times of the year.

If you are not aware of what triggers your allergic reactions it is hard to say if "Chiang Mai" is the cause. Right now the humidity levels are rather low so I am finding that my eyes are rather irritable but that is easily rectified with condition specific eye drops.

If you are really concerned about having allergies and do not know the causes I suggest that you go to have tests conducted by a medical professional at a clinic or hospital and after that get some condition specific treatment. Having lived in many locations around the world I can assure you that Chiang Mai is no more of a problem than anywhere else in developing countries. Getting to know your sensitivities and receiving tailored medication is the answer, along with other actions such as using HEPA air filters in you house. Yes you will hear from those with an axe to grind about the annual haze problem but the reality is that this problem is cause by actions here, in Myanmar and China & there is not short term solution other than using as many methods as possible to mitigate the situation. Each of us is unique and the solutions to our health issues is similarly unique. Deal with it.

• Like 1

I get the first week I arrive because of what's in the air. Claritin helps tremendously for me and it usually breathing much better within an hour. I rarely sneeze in life outside of CM but sneeze 5-10 times a day here. Still not much but the stuff I spit up is disgusting.

I have terrible allergies in Thailand (not in the USA however) which causes nasty asthma to the extent I need to take respiratory dilators and use inhalers often. Certain times of year are worse than other and the less vegetation around the better. When I lived in the actual city they were better but now I live in Mae Rim and they're worse. Being in Pai is brutal for me and I need to take multiple pills every day just to get by. Mold is also a big killer in Thailand since it's everywhere most of the year and don't forget the general high level of pollution we suffer through.

Others have this also I have talked to and the only real solution is to take shots once a week for a year (which I need to commit to soon). Good luck with your condition.

I had the same until a friend turned me onto "CPM". This is chlorphrenmine and is an over the counter antihistamine - comes in a small plastic pot of 60 or so tablets and cost 15 - 20 baht - just ask the pharmacist for CPM. I pop one in morning and it significantly reduces my allergic reaction at this time of the year. BTW, I was a seasonal hayfever sufferer in the UK.

Cheers,

Pikey.

As Thykeeper said, mold is something to watch for. Some people are extremely allergic to some strains. It can be sneaky, living inside of walls but releasing spores.

The best answers above are to have the tests done and zero in on what it is.

As Thykeeper said, mold is something to watch for. Some people are extremely allergic to some strains. It can be sneaky, living inside of walls but releasing spores.

Avoid places with wallpaper as they are natural mold collectors.

Avoid places with wallpaper as they are natural mold collectors.

I think I can safely say that's not a problem for me- never been any place with wallpaper in LOS. Do they even sell the stuff here?

I actually got it this year for the very 1st time, watery eyes, sneezing. Never had it in my life in Australia or 6 years previously in Thailand/Chiangmai. Only lasted 2 weeks and only a problem if I was outside.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, agree with other posters. I've heard that people who live in moldy places have gotten hayfever like symptoms.

My advice would be to clean your house properly from top to bottom, especially the kitchen and bathroom and shower (if you have one).

And then clean the rooms regularly to prevent the mold from returning.

Yep, agree with other posters. I've heard that people who live in moldy places have gotten hayfever like symptoms.

My advice would be to clean your house properly from top to bottom, especially the kitchen and bathroom and shower (if you have one).

Is this worth doing if you live in a Thai Farmers type Bash structure ? The OP has informed us before of his going native .

Is this worth doing if you live in a Thai Farmers type Bash structure ? The OP has informed us before of his going native .

Ewww. If thats the case then he'll have problems. I've seen the inside of poor Thai people's houses on a few occasions and have to admit I've never seen one that could be called 'clean', at least not to Western standards. No wonder he's sneezing like a madman.

Edited by Kananga

Ewww. If thats the case then he'll have problems. I've seen the inside of poor Thai people's houses on a few occasions and have to admit I've never seen one that could be called 'clean', at least not to Western standards. No wonder he's sneezing like a madman.

It does sound like a cleanliness issue here as opposed to hayfever suddenly 'coming on'...

How some people can live in filth is beyond me.

A mild bleach solution (1 part bleach to 5 parts water)will do the trick.

Check especially under sinks/worktops etc.

Edited by HeavyDrinker

It does sound like a cleanliness issue here as opposed to hayfever suddenly 'coming on'...

How some people can live in filth is beyond me.

A mild bleach solution (1 part bleach to 5 parts water)will do the trick.

Check especially under sinks/worktops etc.

These are the tropics. All sorts of things grow if left to their own devices. If the 'dwelling' hasn't been cleaned properly then a quick wipe of the sinks isn't going to clear up his sneezing. There will need to be a complete sterilization of the property and then regular, systematic cleaning to keep the property in a hygienic, mould free condition.

My wife is obsesive compulsive and the place shines from head to toe, not a speck of dust to be found anywhere inside. I only suffered when outside.

My wife is obsesive compulsive and the place shines from head to toe, not a speck of dust to be found anywhere inside. I only suffered when outside.

Yes that is also the other extreme .Too clean inside makes you weak when you venture outside .