Extension Of Stay

I have a multiple entry non-Imm-B visa for one year, which will expire in a week.

If I do a border-run, before this Visa ends, I will get another 90 days-long entry permit.

I want to check the possibility of applying for an Extension of Stay.

I have a few questions:

1. Do I have to apply now, while I am on a valid visa, or can I do it after the visa has expired, but still on a valid entry permit?

2. If I receive an Extension of Stay, is it correct that I will not be required to get a new Visa in a Thai office outside of Thailand, or am I misunderstanding something here?

3. I do not quite understand if the application need to be in Immigration, Labour department, or both? Could someone explain the procedure?

4. While on an EOS, will I have to obtain re-entry permits on every exit?

Thanks in advance.

~G~

Edited by ~G~

I have a multiple entry non-Imm-B visa for one year, which will expire in a week.

If I do a border-run, before this Visa ends, I will get another 90 days-long entry permit.

Correct :o

I have a few questions:

1. Do I have to apply now, while I am on a valid visa, or can I do it after the visa has expired, but still on a valid entry permit?

You must apply within 30 days of the end of a permit to stay, if you do a run now you apply just before the end of the 90 days you will be given.

2. If I receive an Extension of Stay, is it correct that I will not be required to get a new Visa in a Thai office outside of Thailand, or am I misunderstanding something here?

Correct, with an extension you don't need to get a new visa or do visa runs, just report your address to immigration every 90 days.

3. I do not quite understand if the application need to be in Immigration, Labour department, or both? Could someone explain the procedure?

Simplified procedure, hopefully your employer will assist:-

a. Apply for work permit, it will be valid to the end of your current permission to stay. (labour)

b. Apply for an extension of stay based on the work permit, should get you a 1 year extension. (immigration)

c. Extend the work permit to match your new permission to stay. (labour)

Correct, if you are going in and out a lot you should get a multi re-entry permit, get it from immigration when you get your 1 year extension.

Easy eh?

I have a few questions:

While inside Thailand, you are under the jurisdiction of the immigration - police who issued the permission to stay (until ....) Apply for extension during the last 30 days. Of course you need a valid reason and all docs (business or marriage are the most common)

Correct.

For extension of stay the Immigration is in charge. However, should you have a work permit, this must be extended by the labour dept. AFTER Immigration allowed extended stay. WP will be extended for same period as immigration extension.

Yes, either single for Baht 1000 each trip or multiple for 3800. Bear in mind, the re-entry permit will only be valid for same period of extended stay. E.g., if you have a stamp (under consideration) that requires you to come back within 1 month or so, would be nonsense to apply for multiple re-entry.

Thanks in advance.

~G~

Hope, above helps. :o

Thanks a lot, Crossy. A few more questions -

Simplified procedure, hopefully your employer will assist:-

a. Apply for work permit, it will be valid to the end of your current permission to stay. (labour)

b. Apply for an extension of stay based on the work permit, should get you a 1 year extension. (immigration)

c. Extend the work permit to match your new permission to stay. (labour)

I have a WP and acting as a MD of my Thai company. Based on reading other threads here, I gather that I need to show:

- 4 Thai Employees or 1 in case the company is an "Agency" or a "Brokership"

- Minimum salary based on Nationality

- Minimum capital

Is this correct?

Yes, either single for Baht 1000 each trip or multiple for 3800. Bear in mind, the re-entry permit will only be valid for same period of extended stay. E.g., if you have a stamp (under consideration) that requires you to come back within 1 month or so, would be nonsense to apply for multiple re-entry.

Thanks Axel. Could you expand on the "under consideration" proceudre?

Edited by ~G~

I have a WP and acting as a MD of my Thai company. Based on reading other threads here, I gather that I need to show:

- Minimum capital

Is this correct?

Also, do you know the government costs for the application and for the multi re-entry permit?

If I were you, I would contact Steve Sykes (IndoSiam) [email protected] his company knows all the ins and outs of sorting permits etc. and will do the majority of the legwork for you.

- Minimum capital

Is this correct?

Also, do you know the government costs for the application and for the multi re-entry permit?

If I were you, I would contact Steve Sykes (IndoSiam) [email protected] his company knows all the ins and outs of sorting permits etc. and will do the majority of the legwork for you.

I know and appreciate Steve. I have a staff who takes care of the simpler WP / Customs / Revenue Department procedures. I hope to estimate the complexity of this process in order to decide if we can handle it here or to take it to the experts instead...

Thanks Axel. Could you expand on the "under consideration" proceudre?

Sure ~G~. Once you submit the TM 7 - form with attached pictures, docs etc.

(http://www.thaivisa.com/295.0.html)

you will receive a stamp reading:

'Application for extension of stay is under consideration of the police dept. Applicant must contact the temporary permit section in person on .....(date)'

This gives you a de facto extension of 1 month. You return on the specified date and most probably will get another 1 month waiting time, reading:

"Application still under consideration of the police department. Please call again on...."

(1 month to go)

They might repeat this a few times until your extension is permitted and you get 1 year from the original (last) entry - date.

Any re-entry you apply for during the "under consideration-periods will only be valid for the specified period, as said 1 month. So don't apply for multiple re-entries during the 1 month and 1 month - periods. If you travel, take a single at Baht 1000, unless you travel in/out more than 3 times in such 1 month when a multiple for 3800 would be worthwhile.

Once your final extension is granted for 1 year, than apply for a multiple re-entry, if you plan to travel more than 3 times for the reminder of that 12 months-period.