Should The Free Computer Tablets Give Away Be Scrapped

nattydread

its costing Thailand billions to give away these cheaply made Chinese computer tablets but new statistics from a similar trial show what an ill thought out idea it was

http://www.dailymail...ALF-broken.html

A school which gave out iPads to every pupil in hope of improving their education has admitted that just a year later half the costly devices have been broken.

Honywood Community Science School dished out iPad2 tablets to its 1,200 pupils a year ago, at vast cost to the taxpayer.

Despite warnings that children would not be able to look after the fragile computer tablet, the school in Coggeshall, Essex, allowed children to take the device outside the classroom, playground and street and home at evenings and weekends.

Definitely not. Anything that benefits the poor kids, even in the slightest way, should not be stopped.

Also, I know for a fact that Thai Primary grade 1 students are made leave their tablets in their respective classrooms and are not allowed to play with them like toys.

Edited by somchaismith

Definitely not. Anything that benefits the poor kids, even in the slightest way, should not be stopped.

Also, I know for a fact that Thai Primary grade 1 students are made leave their tablets in their respective classrooms and are not allowed to play with them like toys.

The benefit needs to be considered against the risk... Australia decided against giving students expensive tablets / PC and decided on a cheaper NoteBook PC... The reason was because the iPads are to expensive to risk with children / teens and the cheaper NoteBook Style PC was able to perform every task just as well, for 1/4 the price.

Considering how much wealthier Australia is to Thailand, and Australia did not opt for iPads or similar, I struggle to see why Thailand needs this high cost item when alternative, cheaper items are available.

A few weeks ago I was travelling on the local baht bus into town. A young student and his mother boarded and I spotted his tablet. I asked if I could see and the little guy proudly displayed the tablet. I was impressed with the packaging, the tablet itself was held in a foam padded case with the charger, this was sourrounded by a cardboard sleeve, further packaged in a strong plastic waterproof satchel. My experience of Thai children is that anything the are proud of they take extra special care.

I agree with the posts above that say continue, exposure to modern technology can only benefit children, and when better than a stage where they thirst for knowledge and absord

The benefit needs to be considered against the risk... Australia decided against giving students expensive tablets / PC and decided on a cheaper NoteBook PC... The reason was because the iPads are to expensive to risk with children / teens and the cheaper NoteBook Style PC was able to perform every task just as well, for 1/4 the price.

Considering how much wealthier Australia is to Thailand, and Australia did not opt for iPads or similar, I struggle to see why Thailand needs this high cost item when alternative, cheaper items are available.

No doubt backhanders have gone down and it's a Chinese tablet, but c'mon, 3000 baht for a 7" tablet. How can you get much cheaper than that?

No doubt backhanders have gone down and it's a Chinese tablet, but c'mon, 3000 baht for a 7" tablet. How can you get much cheaper than that?

I'm sure the thai government could get a bit of a discount.

What, lol? You think they didn't? Got other expenses too, you know.

Edited by somchaismith

I can get a 7" Android 4 tablet for US$56.99 with free shipping (one off) http://www.pandawill...q88-p67713.html

Actually, that's quite expense considering it's a bare tablet, no case, power pack, cable, etc. Also pre-import tax.

Today, I could walk over to Pantip and pick up a 7" Chinese tablet, with the lot, for 2500 baht.