How To Get To Don Muang From Suvarnabhumi

Easy ! Go up to Level 4 ( Departures ) Go outside and get a Taxi. It is Motorway all the way, takes about an hour and probably will cost 400 Baht plus toll fees. Forget about messing around with trains or buses.

• Like 1

There is a free shuttle bus in both directions, they suggest it will take about an hour. I believe they run hourly, on the hour from Swampy. However, do be careful in

rush hour for the timing.

I travelled this route last Tuesday, just missed the 08.00 bus so got a taxi. Just as well as I am sure if I'd caught the bus I would have missed my onward flight due to

the congested motorway.

There is a shuttle BUT you spend a butt load of money on a plane ticket so spend the 500 baht on a taxi.

I did Don to Suv last week and the meter said 321 + tolls 105 + 50 surcharge so 500 baht. Easiest solution I picked this instead of waiting 25 minutes for the shuttle.

• 1 month later...

This is slightly off topic . BUT

I am arriving by train to Bangkok at 8.30am and am flying to India at 2.55pm. All good I thought . Arrive at 8.30am walk the streets and go to BKK .

However , I am now being told that the train can be late by as much as 5hrs. This would mean I would miss my flight .

If it was slightly less late , say 3hrs , I could get to Hua Lam Phong > then the Metro > little walk > Train link to BKK.

Being the panicky guy I am , I am thinking just in case its more , I could jump off the train at Don Muang and take a taxi to BKK .

Can you tell me

1 is the train often 4hrs late?

2 is better to sit it out and get to Hua Lam Phong or jump in a taxi and fo direct?

Your help is appreciated.

walklikegump

Trains run often late, but how late is the question and might also be determined by the weather. In the rainy season longer delays are more likely.

If running late, it is certainly better to get off at Doan Muang and take a taxi from there. (From Don Muang to Hua Lam Pong takes about an hour by train. In that time you can already arrive at Suv.by taxi from Don Muang). So it saves you an hour or so.

Note that the train also stops at Mekasan station, from where you can take the airport raillink. (Taxi from Don Muang is still faster).

Incorrect information crossed through per below post.

Edited by Mario2008

Trains run often late, but how late is the question and might also be determined by the weather. In the rainy season longer delays are more likely.

If running late, it is certainly better to get off at Doan Muang and take a taxi from there. (From Don Muang to Hua Lam Pong takes about an hour by train. In that time you can already arrive at Suv.by taxi from Don Muang). So it saves you an hour or so.

Note that the train also stops at Mekasan station, from where you can take the airport raillink. (Taxi from Don Muang is still faster).

This is ABSOLUTELY INCORRECT. Although walklike does not state from where his train will be coming from we are assuming either the north or north east given that it is coming through Don Muang station.

Only trains from the eastern lines pass Makkasan station! No Northern, North East trains do. And the SRT intercity Makkasan station is located around 1km away from the SRT ARL Makkasan Terminal.

Please don't post patently, geographically incorrect info as it can cause significant problems for people who may rely it!!!

walklike, a bit more info would help. ie. what day/date is your train and from where? It is true that it is not uncommon for northern trains to be 1-2 hrs late. 5 hrs is highly unusual.

However, the advice to disembark at Don Muang and then taxi (or even free shuttle bus from the airport via the pedestrian link from the station to the terminal. Expect 45mins to 1hr) is sound save for the fact it is still peak time so if is a week day it may take a little longer. If it is raining add more time.

Your other option is that you could also disembark at Bang Sue, take the MRT from Bang Sue to Phetchaburi (25mins), walk 300m to Makkasan CAT and then take the Cityline train to the airport (25mins). Cityline trains depart every 20 mins. This later option may not be so good if you have large baggage as there is no pedestrian link yet between MRT and ARL.

Metro lines map, http://www.bts.co.th/customer/en/02-route-current.aspx

ARL timetables, http://airportraillink.railway.co.th/en/ (just check the Cityline one as Express is now every hour)

Edited by Lakegeneve

SUVARNABHUMI is how it's incorrectly spelled using roman letters

The Thais spelling is: สุวรรณภูมิ which corresponds to how Thais pronounce it: suwanboom

If a farang pronounces it as it's officially transliterated, that person will likely get smirks from Thais within earshot.

It's as if Thais pronounced San Francisco as : 'Sonan Ferainkiskoni'

..... or Los Angeles as 'Lozianglesi'

The Thais spelling is: สุวรรณภูมิ which corresponds to how Thais pronounce it: suwanboom

If a farang pronounces it as it's officially transliterated, that person will likely get smirks from Thais within earshot.

so Thai logic is blaming Farangs because they follow a sh*tty official transliteration? huh.png

so Thai logic is blaming Farangs because they follow a sh*tty official transliteration? huh.png

Who said anything about blame? Transliteration of Thai words to English spelling is to benefit farang only. It has no benefit for Thais. Done incorrectly (which it most often is) it causes confusion, embarrassment and mispronounced words.

Who said anything about blame? Transliteration of Thai words to English spelling is to benefit farang only. It has no benefit for Thais. Done incorrectly (which it most often is) it causes confusion, embarrassment and mispronounced words.

...will likely get smirks from Thais...