Border Run

Pattaya28

Nearly 3 months ago I did a border run, driving from Pattaya to Cambodia, using Poipet as the point of entry/exit. The queuing was unbelievable. I wish to avoid the same again. Some years ago I did a border run with a company that specializes in this service. The queuing was non-existent at that entry/exit point, but cannot remember where that was. Can anyone advise me of an entry/exit point drivable from Pattaya where the queuing is minimal?

Also, am I correct to say that I do not now need a Cambodian visa? I have a 1 year multiple-entry type "o" visa (Thai).

Try first class visa service - they have small mini van leaving Pattaya 6:60AM, arriving back around 2:00PM. I used them and was very happy with the service.

URL http://www.1stclassvisaruns.com/

Only problem with this and all the other mini bus services is their drivers are a**eholes and drive like maniacs - FACT!!!

Good luck, make sure you hold on!

Try first class visa service - they have small mini van leaving Pattaya 6:60AM, arriving back around 2:00PM. I used them and was very happy with the service.

Only problem with this and all the other mini bus services is their drivers are a**eholes and drive like maniacs - FACT!!!

Not the case with the service I recommended; if I had an experience similar to your description would not have suggested OP to make contact

Not the case with the service I recommended; if I had an experience similar to your description would not have suggested OP to make contact

Good to hear you got a mini bus service where the driver does NOT think he's in a Ferrari, maybe there is hope after all.

I went to Poipet once, didn't find it that bad - maybe you were lucky.

Seond time I went to the border crossing at Pailin - thats a couple of hours closer and the queues were minimal.

Pailin cannot be a couple of hours closer, otherwise it would take 30 mins to get to LOL

I went to Poipet once, didn't find it that bad - maybe you were lucky.

Seond time I went to the border crossing at Pailin - thats a couple of hours closer and the queues were minimal.

Pailin cannot be a couple of hours closer, otherwise it would take 30 mins to get to LOL

Both times I went in a mini-van with visa companies from Pattaya: my re-collection is that Poipet was 4-5 hrs and Pailin more like 3.

Both times I went in a mini-van with visa companies from Pattaya: my re-collection is that Poipet was 4-5 hrs and Pailin more like 3.

Yes. I went to Pailin twice with a minivan from Pattaya (1800B incl lunch). The trip was about 3.5hrs including the lunch break, door to door. No real queue at the border, just unexplained slowness (all on the Cambodia/no-mans-land side). I'm sure if they got themselves organised they could stamp the Cambodian visas in in seconds rather than 10s of minutes. They manage it on the Thai side.

I went with Five Star Visa Runs on more then one occasion, driver drove normally and it was very comfortable putting my feet up and watching a movie or browsing the internet there and back. No queue at all at the border. I think this is the border they use.

Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum

This little utilised border is a 30-minute motorbike ride from Pailin and from the Thai side there are frequent minibuses to Chanthaburi an hour or so away. Cambodian visas on arrival are available.

I went with Five Star Visa Runs on more then one occasion, driver drove normally and it was very comfortable putting my feet up and watching a movie or browsing the internet there and back. No queue at all at the border. I think this is the border they use.

Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum

This little utilised border is a 30-minute motorbike ride from Pailin and from the Thai side there are frequent minibuses to Chanthaburi an hour or so away. Cambodian visas on arrival are available.

Ban Pakard was where I crossed the border some years ago. Now I remember. And no queues at all. Any recommendations if I use this border point where to get the Cambodian visa ?

Really appreciated the feedback here. Thanks

Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum

Ban Pakard was where I crossed the border some years ago. Now I remember. And no queues at all. Any recommendations if I use this border point where to get the Cambodian visa ?

Organised by the visa run service provider. You complete all the doco before departing Pattaya; at least it was by the company in my post #3. Note you have to take two passport photos to their office. Just remembered departs at around 6:30AM, but price includes a full breakfast

Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum

Organised by the visa run service provider. You complete all the doco before departing Pattaya; at least it was by the company in my post #3. Note you have to take two passport photos to their office. Just remembered departs at around 6:30AM, but price includes a full breakfast

I will be driving there myself. Wont be using a "visa run service provider"

Ban Pakard / Phsa Prum

I will be driving there myself. Wont be using a "visa run service provider"

Is it that much cheaper to drive yourself? There is a hut on the left right after you get stamped out of Thailand where the border agents stamp the passports in and out of Cambodia and put the visa stickers in for people who have paid the agents. They probably wouldn't do it for you if you just drove there though as they are getting their commission I am sure from the agents, maybe an evisa is possible at this border point? There must be a visa on arrival office on the Cambodian side if not.

Edited by Ohyesuare

I’ve driven to the Ban Pakard / Prum border many times. It’s about 250 Km from Pattaya.

E-visa is not applicable at this border crossing, however you can buy the Cambodia visa there.

Just stamp out of Thailand, walk about 2-300 meters and you will see some huts on the right side.

This is where you buy your visa and also stamp in and out of Cambodia.

They want 1000B for the visa, have not been able to get them to accept a $20 there, as I have in Poi Pet, but you could always try.

They will also ask you for some extra tea money, 300 Baht for not staying 24 hours in Cambodia. You can easily get this down to 200.

Have a nice trip.

They want 1000B for the visa, have not been able to get them to accept a $20 there, as I have in Poi Pet, but you could always try.

They will also ask you for some extra tea money, 300 Baht for not staying 24 hours in Cambodia. You can easily get this down to 200.

So that's a saving of 600B on the minibus price, before fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle. I did this calculation also and decided to use the minibus. Luckily I dont have to do the trip at all any more but if I did I would probably still take the minibus.

• Like 1

You could also drive to Mae Sot in Tak province from Pattaya. It's a nice drive and will take you about 8 hours.

By doing this, you will save yourself a page in your passport (no Cambo visa sticker) and the price of the Burmese border pass is only 500 Baht. Worth considering, Pattaya28. Give yourself a change.

The cost either way is not the issue. I prefer to drive with my wife, stopping when and where I choose for refreshments etc.

If you got there in 2.5 hours you cant have stopped very often. I suspect you just like to race the minibus drivers. smile.png

Well the driving time was 2.5 hours. Overall trip-time was 3 hours, 3 stops at 10 mins a stop. Hope that clears matters biggrin.png

Good to hear you got a mini bus service where the driver does NOT think he's in a Ferrari, maybe there is hope after all.

I agree that many of these minivan drivers are lousy drivers, but now many accidents or deaths have there been on these visa runs? There's many leaving every day of the year.

So that's a saving of 600B on the minibus price, before fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle. I did this calculation also and decided to use the minibus. Luckily I dont have to do the trip at all any more but if I did I would probably still take the minibus.

Of course, money wise it’s cheaper to use a visa run company if you’re by yourself. But sometimes, you want to take a trip with your girl, or maybe you have a couple of friends that join in and share the expenses.

Additionally if you’re a golfer, combine the visa trip with a stay, or at least a round of golf at Soi Dao.

I agree that many of these minivan drivers are lousy drivers, but now many accidents or deaths have there been on these visa runs? There's many leaving every day of the year.

Good point, haven’t heard of any crashes or deaths on these visa trips for as long as I’ve been here. However these trips can be quite gruesome sometimes, not being sure if I want to watch the movie that they’re showing, watch the traffic, or just close my eyes.

(Sorry had to cut out the earlier posts, as there were too many nested quotes.)