Thailand Shooting: Are Koh Phangan Parties Safe?

Thailand shooting: are Ko Phangan parties safe?

Following the shooting of British tourist Stephen Ashton, Tom Vater, our Thailand expert, considers whether Ko Phangan is becoming a dangerous place to party.

By Tom Vater

KOH PHANGAN: -- On New Year's Eve, Stephen Ashton, 22, died after being caught by a stray bullet fired during a fight between Thai youths at a beach party in Haad Rin, on the island of Ko Phangan. His death prompted the Foreign Office to review its travel advice to the country and warn that, although Mr Ashton had been a bystander, western tourists risk becoming victims of “vicious, unprovoked attacks” by gangs on the island.

“These attacks are particularly common around the time of the Full Moon parties and generally occur late at night near bars in Haad Rin on Ko Phangan," it states on its website. "Exercise caution when in this area at any time, especially after dark.”

Tom Vater, our Thailand expert, reports on the dangers associated with the island's party scene:

Without a doubt, Ko Phangan is Thailand’s party island. Situated 15 km north of the larger and better known Ko Samui, Phangan is blessed with sublime beaches and a rarely visited mountainous interior.

While the island has some lovely, quiet parts, it is also world famous for its long running Full Moon Parties and served as the location in Alex Garland’s bestseller The Beach. Ko Phangan attracts more than half-a-million tourists a year and an airport currently being built is likely to consolidate its reputation as a bastion of hedonistic abandon. [more...]

Full story: http://www.telegraph...rties-safe.html

-- The Telegraph 2013-01-04

footer_n.gif

The vast majority of violent crimes in thailand remain thai on thai. This was unfortunate, as a foreigner was in the path of a stray bullet. But, the fact remains that many young thai men love killing eachother. They think it is fun, and they will do it for the slightest insult. It is a fact that most thai men under the age of 25 have the emotional development of a 13 year old girl. So, instead of stratching eachothers eyes out, they simply shoot eachother. And, if they are courageous enough to engage in a simple fistfight to save their adolescent girl honor, they will bring 8 friends along, instead of fighting like a man, which most of them are not. Although it sounds insulting, I have never in my life run into a less impressive group of people, than thai men under 25. Anywhere. What does that mean for the future of this lovely country, and it's people?

Off topic post removed, the OP and the writer of the article Tom Vater, is reporting on the dangers associated with the island's party scene and asking if they are safe:

The vast majority of violent crimes in thailand remain thai on thai. This was unfortunate, as a foreigner was in the path of a stray bullet. But, the fact remains that many young thai men love killing eachother. They think it is fun, and they will do it for the slightest insult. It is a fact that most thai men under the age of 25 have the emotional development of a 13 year old girl. So, instead of stratching eachothers eyes out, they simply shoot eachother. And, if they are courageous enough to engage in a simple fistfight to save their adolescent girl honor, they will bring 8 friends along, instead of fighting like a man, which most of them are not. Although it sounds insulting, I have never in my life run into a less impressive group of people, than thai men under 25. Anywhere. What does that mean for the future of this lovely country, and it's people?

A Thai being courageous enough to engage in a simple fist fight???? No chance, it would need to be about six against one.

As safe as any other Party venue.

You can't wrap yourself in cotton wool and live a normal life.

Life is a risky Adventure.

It's not as safe as any other Party venue.

Yes something can happen to you at any event or party around the world, but I'd bet the odds are higher on Haad Rin than most. It's the perfect recipe for crime, accidents, injury and illness.

A good FullMoon visitors guide at the Telegraph page thumbsup.gif

You are at risk everywhere in the World, when out for late night partying – it happens young people get (accidentally) killed at party places you believe to be save, being at the wrong place at the wrong time and end up in the middle of someone else’s fight. However, FullMoon parties and Thailand may be a bit tuff!

i would say tom Vatr has pretty much got it right, especially with this remark:

Occasionally Thai gangs, usually competing for business interests, fight each other during the Full Moon Parties. Revellers are advised to leave as soon as instances of violence occur and never to challenge the locals.

you can generally see these storms brewing, unfortunately Ashton didn't.

Great post - totally true

With 13 years logged on the island, 7 of them and counting owning a restaurant in phangan and still going to way too many of these parties I would like to chime on on the safety of koh phangan parties. The list keeps growing but currently there are 13 larger parties; full moon, half moon, shiva moon, jungle experience, samonera waterfall, loy lay, pirates bar, coral pool party, Rhythm and Sands, guys bar party, eden bar and up start hansa party. Most of these parties are twice a month or weekly except the full moon. Thats a lot of parties, a lot of drunk people and a lot of sloppy situations and accidents.

With the exception of the full moon party, all of these parties have local thais working the door collecting an entrance charge. These door guys know which young thai boys are the trouble makers on the island and they usually wont let them in. In fact Coral pool party doesnt let in thai people at all unless your friends with a cop or the owner. These parties are designed for tourists to have a good time and thats who goes. What local is going to pay 500 baht to walk into a party where they dont even like the music? So, again, with the exception of the full moon most parties are full of farang and thai women.

Drug use on the island is way down in my opinion. The pharmacys stopped selling speed many years ago and now they dont even sell valium or xanax. It used to cost 10,000 baht if you were caught with ganga now its 60,000. I even heard that over new years one guy was passed a joint by an undercover he took a puff and it ended up costing him 220,000 baht.. OUCH! On the other hand mushrooms are readily available and nitrious oxide is exploding MDMA is around but hard to get. All a bit safer then speed, ya ba, ice or herion.

So you got these parties with people drunk, possibly on a mushy shake and an occasional overpriced balloon. We now have really talented DJ's working all the parties and for the most bit everyone is just dancing and having a great time. Yes there are a few fist fights occasionally but most the damage is done when people hop on their motorbike for the drunken ride home. The parties are honestly really fun and most of the visiting farang tear up a few of the parties, run out of money and take off to less debaucherous locations.

Now for haad rin. Haad rin can be fun but you have to understand that anyone can partake and that means good and bad people. It can be a dangerous place. You have lady boys pickpocketing people, thousands of people from samui coming over on the speed boats most to have fun but a few to possibly sell drugs, rob bungalows or worse. For the most part its very dark and there is pretty much no security because no one person gets to keep a big entry fee so why would they pay for security? Its just a big open massive party. There is tons of glass on the beach. I went on Dec 28th and the girl I was with gashed open her foot. Its also well known that the young thai men bartending in most the haad rin bars are not to be messed with. They will without a seconds hesitation hit somone over the head with a bottle, pull out a knife or worse. And they fight in packs like dogs. In addition the full moon partys make the rest of the island less safe. The local theifs use this night to rob bungalows and rental houses as they know most people are at the party or passed out from the party.

So coming from a local farang's perspective Koh Phangan and its parties are quite safe except the full moon. The police have increased the penaltys for drug use and it has reduced the amount and types of drugs consumed and now most the party goers are on the booze. A majority of the people that go to the full moon end up having a good time and with the only consequence being a nasty hangover. But, if you concerned with have a safe fun time just skip haad rin entirely and hit all the other parties. Dont drive your motorbike songtheaw taxis are cheep at 100 baht each way for most parties so park the scooter hop in a taxi and have a good time. A couple of the parties are really cranking right now and are a blast (half moon is tonight!). Koh Phangan is a crazy place but not really very dangerous considering how drunk the whole island is.

With 13 years logged on the island, 7 of them and counting owning a restaurant in phangan and still going to way too many of these parties I would like to chime on on the safety of koh phangan parties. The list keeps growing but currently there are 13 larger parties; full moon, half moon, shiva moon, jungle experience, samonera waterfall, loy lay, pirates bar, coral pool party, Rhythm and Sands, guys bar party, eden bar and up start hansa party. Most of these parties are twice a month or weekly except the full moon. Thats a lot of parties, a lot of drunk people and a lot of sloppy situations and accidents.

With the exception of the full moon party, all of these parties have local thais working the door collecting an entrance charge. These door guys know which young thai boys are the trouble makers on the island and they usually wont let them in. In fact Coral pool party doesnt let in thai people at all unless your friends with a cop or the owner. These parties are designed for tourists to have a good time and thats who goes. What local is going to pay 500 baht to walk into a party where they dont even like the music? So, again, with the exception of the full moon most parties are full of farang and thai women.

Drug use on the island is way down in my opinion. The pharmacys stopped selling speed many years ago and now they dont even sell valium or xanax. It used to cost 10,000 baht if you were caught with ganga now its 60,000. I even heard that over new years one guy was passed a joint by an undercover he took a puff and it ended up costing him 220,000 baht.. OUCH! On the other hand mushrooms are readily available and nitrious oxide is exploding MDMA is around but hard to get. All a bit safer then speed, ya ba, ice or herion.

So you got these parties with people drunk, possibly on a mushy shake and an occasional overpriced balloon. We now have really talented DJ's working all the parties and for the most bit everyone is just dancing and having a great time. Yes there are a few fist fights occasionally but most the damage is done when people hop on their motorbike for the drunken ride home. The parties are honestly really fun and most of the visiting farang tear up a few of the parties, run out of money and take off to less debaucherous locations.

Now for haad rin. Haad rin can be fun but you have to understand that anyone can partake and that means good and bad people. It can be a dangerous place. You have lady boys pickpocketing people, thousands of people from samui coming over on the speed boats most to have fun but a few to possibly sell drugs, rob bungalows or worse. For the most part its very dark and there is pretty much no security because no one person gets to keep a big entry fee so why would they pay for security? Its just a big open massive party. There is tons of glass on the beach. I went on Dec 28th and the girl I was with gashed open her foot. Its also well known that the young thai men bartending in most the haad rin bars are not to be messed with. They will without a seconds hesitation hit somone over the head with a bottle, pull out a knife or worse. And they fight in packs like dogs. In addition the full moon partys make the rest of the island less safe. The local theifs use this night to rob bungalows and rental houses as they know most people are at the party or passed out from the party.

So coming from a local farang's perspective Koh Phangan and its parties are quite safe except the full moon. The police have increased the penaltys for drug use and it has reduced the amount and types of drugs consumed and now most the party goers are on the booze. A majority of the people that go to the full moon end up having a good time and with the only consequence being a nasty hangover. But, if you concerned with have a safe fun time just skip haad rin entirely and hit all the other parties. Dont drive your motorbike songtheaw taxis are cheep at 100 baht each way for most parties so park the scooter hop in a taxi and have a good time. A couple of the parties are really cranking right now and are a blast (half moon is tonight!). Koh Phangan is a crazy place but not really very dangerous considering how drunk the whole island is.

spot on, you have nailed it.

I even heard that over new years one guy was passed a joint by an undercover he took a puff and it ended up costing him 220,000 baht.. OUCH! On the other hand mushrooms are readily available and nitrious oxide is exploding MDMA is around but hard to get.

If what you said is true, then the Thai police seriously need to reconsider what they consider to be dangerous and completely harmless drugs. The police SHOULD NOT be out to trap people like that, poor guy had a terrible experience and it really cost him a lot of money.

I even heard that over new years one guy was passed a joint by an undercover he took a puff and it ended up costing him 220,000 baht.. OUCH! On the other hand mushrooms are readily available and nitrious oxide is exploding MDMA is around but hard to get.

If what you said is true, then the Thai police seriously need to reconsider what they consider to be dangerous and completely harmless drugs. The police SHOULD NOT be out to trap people like that, poor guy had a terrible experience and it really cost him a lot of money.

Are you for real?

the guy took what he knew to be an illegal cigarette and you write "poor guy had a terrible experience and it really cost him a lot of money."

Errmm - he could have said "no thanks".

In theory - the police cannot decide dangerous/harmless. They should only implement the law as it stands.

sorry.gifofftopic.gif 'nuff said

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Are you for real?

the guy took what he knew to be an illegal cigarette and you write "poor guy had a terrible experience and it really cost him a lot of money."

In theory - the police cannot decide dangerous/harmless. They should only implement the law as it stands.

I agree with you, the law is the law and marijuana is still illegal in Thailand. I personally believe it should be legal due to it's medicinal benefits but that's a whole different argument.

My point is that the police should be out PROTECTING the people and not trying to trap them and extort them for money. I don't know if YOU ARE for real because if you support the extortion through entrapment then you seriously need to reconsider what the police force is meant to be doing in the first place. Sure he could have said no, but Ii'm more than certain that he saw other people on Phangan smoking the same 'illegal cigarette'. The 220,000 he paid was a BRIBE and that is a crime.

Edited by anantha92
  • Like 2

Posts deleted.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

After living there....the Philippines and Mexico come to mind. '_'

Are you for real?

Yes, it is an industry for the police. They prey on foreigners smoking pot at these parties. I know several people who have had to buy their way out of 100,000 baht fines, or go to jail. I have visited someone in the Samui prison, and it is not a place you want to end up! These , who call themselves policemen absolutely refuse to do real police work, and protect the people of samui or phangan. Instead, they are out raising money for the construction of their new villas.

(...)

Edit otherwise must delete ;-)

Are you for real?

Yes, it is an industry for the police. They prey on foreigners smoking pot at these parties. I know several people who have had to buy their way out of 100,000 baht fines, or go to jail. I have visited someone in the Samui prison, and it is not a place you want to end up! These , who call themselves policemen absolutely refuse to do real police work, and protect the people of samui or phangan. Instead, they are out raising money for the construction of their new villas.

(...)

Edit otherwise must delete ;-)

Not just for villas, also for their Mia Noi's. But if somebody wants to get stoned on pot, there's always a safe way, like in your bungalow.

Two German women a few years ago just sat down at the beach and smoked their joint. They didn't even stop when cops came by. So the cops started to hit them, some Aussies wanted to help, but the one cop fired a warning shot

It's as safe as Pattaya, I'd say.......

Some peoples' behavior's just ridiculous, it's not freaking Amsterdam.--wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

it is not totally safe then neither is Glastonberry or Pattini or Bagdad i reckon about 90 per cent of party people are a danger to themselves drinking everything all night. swiming drunk and possibly afffending gangs of other people out on the same buzz.

then someone is going to get hurt

• Like 2

It's a fact that there is a problem, and it is not really the parties that are unsafe, it is the police NOT doing their job.

When they can let a tourist pay 2000€ for smoking a harmless spliff, you see them run from far to catch him/her, but when a person in an emergency needs HELP, they don't give a xxxxxxx

This doesn't make money, it only costs money, so why bother saving people from their problem?

The problem is not to search in the parties only, there is plenty of parties happening, by coincidence it is always in Had Rin where people get shot/stabbed/raped.

Doesn't this ring a bell and shouldn't it provoke the right actions to clean that beach from dangerous types???

No, instead there are a few cops being money-horney and ruining tourists' holidays because of greed.

Look at the parties at other locations on the island, there they have some kind of security taking care of people, there is an occasional alcohol-related fight, but in most cases these issues get solved by the right people at the right place.

On the other hand, during a Fullmoon party, people need to pay 100 baht entry "to clean the beach" that makes minimum ONE MILLION baht every month to clean the beach??? Don't make me laugh, what happens to the other 800.000???? Why isn't there a professional security team TAKING CARE of guests????

But please don't call this island "death island" as all over Thailand people get shot at other touristic places, and to me it seems again and again for the same reasons, some punks that think they are the man, no police acting against them and a retarded approach to lower crime rates.

Edited by Rooo
Profanity removed.