90 Day Reporting Crackdown?

Have been hearing that the immigration office has been checking passports when you renew your visa for the 90 day reporting. Can anyone out there confirm this? I am one of those who have been renewing my visa for the last couple of years and have never reported for the 90 days. If they are really checking now, would it be best to leave the country and come back or pay the fine? Also my visa will expire in a month. Would I have to get another visa before re-enetering the country? And sorry for alll the questions. I am also married to a Thai lady. Would it be any easier having a marriage visa? Any one know what the fine may be?

It is not clear what you currently have. Are you here on an extension of stay from an immigration office (such as support Thai wife) or are you here on 90 day entry permits from a multi entry visa?

If using a multi entry visa you do not have to do 90 day reporting as you are never here more than 90 days at a time.

If a visa extension of stay you can not exit (and keep it alive) without first obtaining a re entry permit at the cost of 1,000 baht and if they checking for 90 day reports that may well be checked at that point.

The normal fine is 2,000 baht and the max under current law is 5,000 baht so I would advise paying the fine and doing the 90 day reports from now on.

As we don't know what visa or extension you currently have can not address the wife issue.

It must depend on where you do your address reports. I was living in Jomtien so I used the Pattaya office. (Now in Jomtien). I am now living in Loei province and went to Chiang Khan for the first time to do my 90 day address confirmation. I pride myself as having NEVER overstayed or been late for a check in. I was sure my last check in said to come back the 21st of February. It actually said report on the 11th of February. Since this was an address change I was worried what was going to happen and was prepared to pay the fine. As it turned out nothing was said about being late (six days) and the guy who took care of me was very friendly and helpful. My wife had her house paper with her and he actually filled out my new address. There is no date to report back on. I will return three months from the date stamped on the paper in my passport.

There was only one other farang in that office. He wanted to enter Laos with his girlfriend but the immigration guy told him he had to go to Nong Kai for an exit visa. I have no idea what kind of Thai visa he had. He was not a happy guy. LOL!

I pride myself as having NEVER overstayed or been late for a check in. I was sure my last check in said to come back the 21st of February. It actually said report on the 11th of February. Since this was an address change I was worried what was going to happen and was prepared to pay the fine. As it turned out nothing was said about being late (six days) and the guy who took care of me was very friendly and helpful.

You are allowed to report seven days before or after the 90 Day reporting due date, so you were actually in compliance with the rules. :o

[ I am on a 1 year non immigrant visa. Have been renewing it for the last few years. Just heard that they have been checking your passport when you get another yearly visa. Looking for someone who knows and is it better to pay the fine or go out of the country. Thanks

[ I am on a 1 year non immigrant visa. Have been renewing it for the last few years. Just heard that they have been checking your passport when you get another yearly visa. Looking for someone who knows and is it better to pay the fine or go out of the country. Thanks

Two years ago renewing my (1 year) visa/workpermit I had to pay 2000 Baht fine first. After that my papers were processed and completed the same day (one-stop service centre Krisda Plaza). Do the 90-days reporting since. Actually haven't left the country since April 2002 and quiet legally so :-)

I did my 90 day report last week and looking at my passport the only proof that I completed the report was the receipt of notification from the desk at Suan Phlu.

I suspect that this is the date that they will look for and it also gives me my next reporting date.

If you do not have this paper then when you renew your visa the Immigration staff will look at the last date stamp in your passport and you will be fined whatever amount tey say up to the maximum.

I know that the first year I though that the 90 days ran from when I got my visa, but the lady gently put me right and explained that it was 90 days from the arrival date stamped in my passport.

I was reasonably dressed and suitably humble as I apologised and she said that she did understand and now I did also. She smiled as I paid the 2,000 baht fine.

Never again as it is not so difficult to do though I do have a couple of friends who don't comply.

Do you think I could get a commission if I told on them?

:o

Never again as it is not so difficult to do though I do have a couple of friends who don't comply.

Do you think I could get a commission if I told on them?

No, but the chances are you might get a smack in the mouth if they found out you shopped them... :D

After reading this thread I'm a little confussed.

I'm here on my first 1 year NON IMM B and I am coming up to the end of my first 90 days. Do I just simply go to the border and turn around and get stamped in or is there another way to do this? Also will I need to prove funds at border?

Thanks for your help

We are talking about one year extension of stay. Not the one year multi entry visa you apparently have.

Your visa, if a multi entry type, will require you exit the country every 90 days or less so you never stay over 90 day and never have to file an address report.

You should have 20,000 baht with you in when you return to Thailand as they could ask to see it. You exit Thailand, enter another country, exit other country and enter Thailand.

You should have 20,000 baht with you in when you return to Thailand as they could ask to see it. You exit Thailand, enter another country, exit other country and enter Thailand.

Is that 20,000 thai baht or 'the equivalent of' ?

how about credit/debit cards?

The old saying "cash is king" applies here also.

An ATM slip proves nothing and can be rejected , you'd better withdraw the money before if you want to be on the safe side

IMHO we are asking for trouble if minbus loads of flangs start carrying around 20k in cash each on their visa runs. My own exp over 20 years is that ive never heard of that requirement at the borders in poipet cambodia or going on the train to malaysia. But I always dress reasonably and dont look like a penniless bum - up to you.

I have heard of a case where a valid return airticket was required at don meuang a couple of times years ago whe we did visa runs to the phillipines (happy days).

those whoe didnt have such a ticket were required to buy a thai airways single return back to source (as coincidentrally it was the only ticket office open late at night). it didnt go on for long as the other airlines cried foul.

Hoever i think the rule still applies but ive never been asked.

Incidentally I thought that up country people could do their 90 day reporting by post?? Is this still in place

It does mean sending your passport via EMS

Anyone any ideas here

Hmmm i forgot once and when i realized i went immediately and asked them what should i do... pay the fine and your fine was the reply. It apparently should not matter so much if you own up I think.

The lady who renews my visa said it will not effect further extensions.

The old saying "cash is king" applies here also.

An ATM slip proves nothing and can be rejected , you'd better withdraw the money before if you want to be on the safe side

IMHO we are asking for trouble if minbus loads of flangs start carrying around 20k in cash each on their visa runs. My own exp over 20 years is that ive never heard of that requirement at the borders in poipet cambodia or going on the train to malaysia. But I always dress reasonably and dont look like a penniless bum - up to you.

I have heard of a case where a valid return airticket was required at don meuang a couple of times years ago whe we did visa runs to the phillipines (happy days).

those whoe didnt have such a ticket were required to buy a thai airways single return back to source (as coincidentrally it was the only ticket office open late at night). it didnt go on for long as the other airlines cried foul.

Hoever i think the rule still applies but ive never been asked.

Incidentally I thought that up country people could do their 90 day reporting by post?? Is this still in place

It does mean sending your passport via EMS

Anyone any ideas here

Here i Phang Nga they do allow you to do your 90 day reporting by mail, but, no, you don't have to send your PP, a signed photocopy will do. Then just include Missi's signed photocopy of the house registration and a postage paid for envelope to your address and off you go !

Ask your local Immigration office next time your there !

Mike