New Thai National Parks Boss Drops Predecessor's Iron-Fisted Approach To Encroachment

webfact

New National Parks boss drops predecessor's iron-fisted approach to encroachment

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

30197380-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: --The newly appointed director-general of the National Parks and Plant Conservation Department, Manophat Huamuangkaew, vowed to implement a new policy for dealing with forest encroachers that relies on finding compromise, instead of driving them out of national parks by force.

Illegal resorts in national parks on which the Supreme Court had already issued a final ruling will still be removed, but the department will take a softer approach that involves the owners in the process, instead of simply deploying hundreds of forest officials to demolish the structures.

"It is not only a waste of time and money, but it is also destroying the image of the department," Manopat told The Nation in an exclusive interview.

Before taking the top position as director-general, Manopat was a deputy director-general of the department. His approach to dealing with national park encroachment is totally different from that of former director-general Damrong Pidej, who is now a leader of the Tuang Kuen Puen Pa (Thai Forest Land Reclamation) Party.

Damrong adopted an unyielding, aggressive approach, arresting illegal forest encroachers, including wealthy people who used their influence to encroach on national park areas. Members of the public and environmental activists applauded the strategy.

Since Damrong retired from the top position at the department in October last year, Natural Resources and Environment Minister Preecha Rengsomboonsook has spent at least two months selecting a dependable replacement.

Actually, Manopat was a dark horse for this position, as Damrong had previously tried to promote his deputy director-general Rerngchai Prayoonvej as his successor, but Preecha did not support Damrong's idea and appointed Manopat instead.

"I have my own way to deal with the national park encroachment problem; it is different from that of Damrong, who always demolished illegal structures and took the encroached-upon land back. I will deal with it in a way that is softer, but strong enough," he said.

For example, he said, from now on the department will use a win-win approach by negotiating with the owners of illegally built resorts to demolish illegal structures themselves. If they do not, the department will take legal action against the owners.

"In times past, we just gave them a time but we did not negotiate with them. We only told them what to do," he said, insisting that he had not received any particular orders from the government to end demolitions.

"Minister Preecha has instructed me to strictly follow the law and take strong legal action against wrongdoers. I’ve been working with the department for a long time; I know what I should do to end this chronic problem," he said.

To restore the country's degraded forestland - particularly in the national park areas - Manopat will not only negotiate with the resort owners to return the encroached-upon land to the department, but he will also persuade local people living in areas overlapping national parks and forest reserves to help the department recover the degraded areas. The existence of overlapping areas has often caused confusion and created legal conflicts.

"If people understand that forestlands belong to everyone in this country, I believe they will help to recover the destroyed areas and the conflict between the department and local people will diminish," he said.

The department will use satellite images to designate forest reserve areas upon which people will be completely prohibited from encroaching. After that, the department will ask people to check the corrected designated areas and find a resolution together as to whether they should be allowed to continue living in the forest reserves or move out.

Manopat said the department would also designate a special zone that landless people would be allowed to utilise temporarily.

This would be similar to the situation in the degraded forest areas in Nakhon Ratchasima province's Wang Nam Kheow district, where the department has allowed landless people to use the land to earn money and improve their lives.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-07

'Forest protector' aiming at politicsFormer chief wants to continue fight over park lands

Budsarakham Sinlapalavan,

Pongphon Sarnsamak

The Nation

30197387-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department director-general Damrong Pidet, a founding member of Thai Forest Land Reclamation Party - known for his impulsive nature - has opened up on why he went back on his word and jumped into politics after retiring.

What is the reason behind your deciding to establish a political party?

I thought that I would open a shop to sell noodles after I retired - but two months after my retirement, no one had been appointed to continue my projects. All my projects had been suspended. There was no reason to suspend my action against illegal activities. That is why I have decided to set up a party to continue my work.

Why didn't you apply as a member of a large party in order that it could push your policies through Parliament?

I loved the Pheu Thai Party - but after I took over the director-general post, I could not do anything in regard to forest conservation. I asked for equipment and personnel, but the government would not heed my suggestions and requests.

So you were uncomfortable working with the government?

I was uneasy because I had no equipment to properly manage the work. I was trying to do the right thing but I met with obstacles. My work went against the ruling party's policy of not arresting [lawbreakers] but giving [them] leniency.

Critics say you ordered resorts to be dismantled to pave a way for yourself to enter politics after retiring.

If I'd wanted to go into politics, I would have done anything to join the ruling party.

But no party wanted me because they knew I would be a thorn in their sides.

Your decision to set up a party has nothing to do with your disappointment over not getting the political posts you wanted?

I would have regretted if I could not continue my work in forest conservation, so I consulted my friends on how to set up a party.

Do you have a party financier?

Nobody. Our party is one which some people want to stampede because we are in the way of their interests. Large parties do not want to quarrel with people fearing they would lose support, but our party does not care.

How do you foresee your party developing?

How long the party is sustainable depends on the party's executives.

If we can protect natural resources and the public sees our achievements, we can survive in the long term and become a big party in the future.

Those who do not like our policy of environmental conservation, they will not vote for me.

We have nothing to lose if we are dissolved because no one votes for us. The party's demise or death would be normal.

How can your party compete with large parties when you only have one policy - on environmental conservation?

No party pays attention to natural resources and environment. Of 500 MPs, no one cares about forests and wildlife.

Who are your supporters?

Most are conservationists in every region of the country. We are like a thread which will be |strong when we all come together as one.

How do you feel as a fresh-faced politi?cian?

I actually do not want to be called a politician because I think politicians are slippery. I like being a bureaucrat, but I will have to adjust my style.

How do you see yourself working with the new director-general of the department, Manopat Huamuangkaeo?

I follow my path and he follows his. If we have to fight, we fight, though we are friends.

He is an official - but if he commits wrong, I will fight with the public sector.

Will there be more exposing of irregularities in projects?

Do not use the word expose - but whatever is a threat against natural resources and the environment, we will fight against it. We will not touch on things we don’t have any knowledge about.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-07

• Like 1

Perhaps the former-administrator should join Khun Chuwit, rather than start up yet-another party ?

Indeed, I was just thinking that his viewpoints seem to be somewhat similar to Chuwit's.

I hope he does get elected, it would be nice to see another voice exposing hypocrisy and dishonesty in Parliament.

• Like 2

Perhaps Green Party would had been a more adequate name for this, and about time someone started caring about the environment.

I was uneasy because I had no equipment to properly manage the work. I was trying to do the right thing but I met with obstacles. My work went against the ruling party's policy of not arresting [lawbreakers] but giving [them] leniency.

Not surprising being that the party is a collection of brigands and crooks.

• Like 1

A lot of mis informed comments. The Nation is only interested in embarassing the government and an other source who gave a balanced account of what is really going on cannot be cited.

For ThaiVisa readers and with the help of local friends, we wrote a thread to explain what was really going on. A couple of news organization eventually came to visit the area and were later able to publish more balanced articles. The Nation was not one of them ( do they even have reporters ? )

For your information : http://www.thaivisa....-isaan-village/

Edited by JurgenG

"I have my own way to deal with the national park encroachment problem; it is different from that of Damrong, who always demolished illegal structures and took the encroached-upon land back.

whistling.gif I can only guess what "his way" issad.png

You don't have to guess.

It's back to the old system, money in his pocket and a blind eye turned.

"The Hub of Kick-Backs"

A big step backward in the fight against corruption and cronyism.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

What is a compromise? You are either encroaching or you are not. Gutless is what I call it.

Ah, you are correct in theory. But in practice depends who you are, what connections etc. Encroaching is wrong for the average person but "special" people have to be treated differently. Normal laws cannot apply. Could be murder, drunken driving. encroachment, bribery, etc etc . Same same - but different. Once you understand is easy. Now is easy to see why choose someone who understand this - not try apply law to everyone.

Sad - because every country needs tenacious and strong defenders of the environment.

".... the ruling party's policy of not arresting [lawbreakers] but giving [them] leniency."

He could have said "I have seen the enemy and he is us." (Pogo) or perhaps "They may be criminals but they are our criminals."

My work went against the ruling party's policy of not arresting [lawbreakers] but giving [them] leniency.

I think that policy pretty much extends across the entire spectrum of lawbreaking when the lawbreakers belong to the proper party...

The Forestry Department is just the tip of the iceberg.

absolutely unbelievable comments. So he is basically saying he will be gentle with people who destroy the thing he is supposed to protect. But yes it is hard to collect bribes if you have an iron fist.

That's why he needs that big velvet glove.