3M Particulate Masks

T_Dog

Has anyone found a source in Chiang Mai for the 3M 8511 or 9211 particulate masks? Our outside eating table has been covered with soot the last two mornings and my eyes are burning this morning so thought I might get the masks for bike riding and working outside. The season of bad air is on the way I am afraid.

the air quality is currently okay; similar to most other places in Thailand, and better than Bangkok.

Are you sure about that? As I recall Chiang Mai changed there standards a few years ago so could not be compared with other locations (feel good move). Have they returned to standard testing/reporting used at other locations?

the air quality is currently okay; similar to most other places in Thailand, and better than Bangkok.

Are you sure about that? As I recall Chiang Mai changed there standards a few years ago so could not be compared with other locations (feel good move).

Yes; Because I'm not talking about any (local) standard, I'm talking about the actual measurement values. (I haven't heard of that by the way, even though paying fairly close attention to the yearly haze, and joining the TV discussion every year. Do you have a link?)

That's here, run by the (nation-wide) government Pollution Control Department. http://aqmthai.serve...blic_report.php

I'm not super interested in what any person or group in Chiang Mai deems to be acceptable or not. But a PM10 of for example 60.9 ug/m3 is a number that can be compared to other places in Thailand and the world. (That number, while higher than typical rainy season figures, is very normal for the time of year.) Chiang Mai is actually among the places with the most frequent measurements, in several places inside and just outside of town.

BTW, I'm very much planning to leave in March, of course. Nobody should be in Northern Thailand in March.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

T-Dog

Have you tried the 3M retail place on Wulai Road. It's south of old city.

We bought a supply of them there last year. We bought the 8812 masks. If they don't have what you want, they can order it.

Hey, that's excellent. Thanks to both of you.

Don't forget to go to Macro and pick up a few rolls of 3M white filter material. I did a month ago while they had stock. Thin filter material that I place over the mesh screen on the intake of the aircon. So I turn the entire aircon into a air purifier! It works really really well. And after 2 weeks, you can peel off the filter material and wash it in a bucket with some laundry detergent and watch the water turn jet black. Hang up and dry and use again. At 300B per roll, its the cheapest and most effictive air purifier you can get. The total area of the filter is about 1 meter long by 40cm wide!

A few years back when it was really bad the American Embassy web advised to use an n95 rating mask -- I bought many from Home pro 3m brand - I remember taking my long morning walks wearing the mask and at the end the outside was a greyish black color but the inside was pure white - I found it amazing when I took off the mask going from a crisp air to nasty stuff - I think it really works - I stocked up a few months ago not sure what is available now

T-Dog

We bought a supply of them there last year. We bought the 8812 masks. If they don't have what you want, they can order it.

Hey T-Dog if you do buy them and take a bike ride (I assume you mean bicycle) post how it works out if you get a chance - thnx

T-Dog

Hey T-Dog if you do buy them and take a bike ride (I assume you mean bicycle) post how it works out if you get a chance - thnx

Will do, as I am curious about that as well.
  • Like 1

I have been attempting to regularly use a 3M mask or a Techno mask with a replaceable filter for five years on my weekly ride.

The problem is perspiration/sweat. After 10 KL at 22 to 24 KPH breathing becomes inhibited as the mask becomes sodden with sweat. Often I take the mask off out of frustration if I can still see the mountain.

The only solution I have found to date is to carry spares changing as needed, hanging the wet one from the bars to dry.

Strangely I have seen very few riders wearing masks. Perhaps they are immune or maybe just not aware.

For exercise I would consider one of the rubber masks with a large exhale port valve. The rubber gets sweaty but not soggy. It can be wiped off periodically.

With exercise one has to exhale quickly. One inhales thru the filter material and when exhaling a one way port opens to expel air.

Trying to inhale and exhale thru the filter material does not work well. Some of the less expensive ones have export valves but its lower flow.

Even with the Darth Vader type mask with the large exhale flap(s) there are still some issues.

--bulky and creepy looking

--Still hot and sweaty

--eyes and skin still take a lot of abuse in high smoke condition

--inhalation still takes some addition force as there is more air flow resistance

Don't forget to go to Macro and pick up a few rolls of 3M white filter material. I did a month ago while they had stock. Thin filter material that I place over the mesh screen on the intake of the aircon. So I turn the entire aircon into a air purifier! It works really really well. And after 2 weeks, you can peel off the filter material and wash it in a bucket with some laundry detergent and watch the water turn jet black. Hang up and dry and use again. At 300B per roll, its the cheapest and most effictive air purifier you can get. The total area of the filter is about 1 meter long by 40cm wide!

Which department would I go to to see this 3M material?

Which department would I go to to see this 3M material?

Probably the tools section? They also sell it at Home Pro, there it's roughly near the cleaning materials, trash bags and so on.

post-64232-0-60271200-1357719813_thumb.j

Also never had any luck w/the masks while cycling, have one w/two cartridges for organic vapors, mists and fumes of low toxicity (looks like a gas mask) but not only is the rubber hot the air flow is just not enough while exercising

I am sensitive to the air quality and for the last 4 years have left CM, for the sea side, when the poor quality atmosphere starts.

So far this year I have not had any concernes with the air quality during my rides around town on my scooter.

I can only suggest that poor air quality is local. A friend says that around the new Ampure Offices they have bad quality atmosphere.

john

I am sensitive to the air quality and for the last 4 years have left CM, for the sea side, when the poor quality atmosphere starts.

So far this year I have not had any concernes with the air quality during my rides around town on my scooter.

I can only suggest that poor air quality is local. A friend says that around the new Ampure Offices they have bad quality atmosphere.

john

I ride my mountain bike up around the night safari / Doi Kham area and they are burning dry leaves like there's no tomorrow. Won't be long until every Thai and his dog is doing the same. In for a bad one this year I'm afraid. Unless the four winds blow a hoolie that is.

You can't educate idiots and idiots they are. In my area the locals burn incessantly,especially my immediate neighbor. Can't change,won't change.

Surely they must be aware of the dangers to their health.

When I go outside I have to wear a double cartridge mask so as to have some level of safety. Wouldn't use it on the bike though. Might look at one of those 3M masks today.

• Like 1

You can't educate idiots and idiots they are. In my area the locals burn incessantly,especially my immediate neighbor. Can't change,won't change.

Surely they must be aware of the dangers to their health.

When I go outside I have to wear a double cartridge mask so as to have some level of safety. Wouldn't use it on the bike though. Might look at one of those 3M masks today.

That is the appropriate word for them, sad but true.

• 11 months later...

Vibe.. Old post and hopefully you or someone can respond. Where do you find that stuff in Makro? We've checked and they have no idea. Will give the 3M store on Waluai Road a shot this week as well. Time to get geared up!

The above discussion is the usual seasonal speculation. If you are really serious about PM pollution, you need quite a mask because it is the PM<2.5 that is really deadly. That is roughly 50% of the PM<10 that is reported. And LOCAL research has shown that agricultural matter, when burned, produces a somewhat higher percentage of PM<2.5 pollution. That's burning rice straw!

Yes, air pollution causes premature death. According to recent European reports, some 400,000 premature deaths. Look it up! And that is in Europe. Here is worse. Just be glad you do not live in Eastern China.

As Winnie the Kwai has noted above, he plans to take his family out of town in March, as he did last year (as I recall), and I don't blame him. I am not faulting his decision, but the huge majority of people who live in North and Central Thailand can not do that.

OP, while your interest in appreciated, you do not understand that there are previous discussions (now pinned) about air pollution in Chiang Mai with a lot of information as well as speculation. There is no need for new threads!

The above discussion is the usual seasonal speculation. If you are really serious about PM pollution, you need quite a mask because it is the PM<2.5 that is really deadly. That is roughly 50% of the PM<10 that is reported. And LOCAL research has shown that agricultural matter, when burned, produces a somewhat higher percentage of PM<2.5 pollution. That's burning rice straw!

Yes, air pollution causes premature death. According to recent European reports, some 400,000 premature deaths. Look it up! And that is in Europe. Here is worse. Just be glad you do not live in Eastern China.

As Winnie the Kwai has noted above, he plans to take his family out of town in March, as he did last year (as I recall), and I don't blame him. I am not faulting his decision, but the huge majority of people who live in North and Central Thailand can not do that.

OP, while your interest in appreciated, you do not understand that there are previous discussions (now pinned) about air pollution in Chiang Mai with a lot of information as well as speculation. There is no need for new threads!

Mapguy... This thread is specifically about the 3M masks (hence the topic subject) which I did pick up at the 3M shop thanks to a helpful poster. This year I want to do the A/C units so am following up on Vibe's comments. Nothing at all to do with starting another smoke thread. I just want to know where in Makro they keep the filter material as my attempts to find it haven't been successful.

Mapguy... This thread is specifically about the 3M masks (hence the topic subject) which I did pick up at the 3M shop thanks to a helpful poster. This year I want to do the A/C units so am following up on Vibe's comments. Nothing at all to do with starting another smoke thread. I just want to know where in Makro they keep the filter material as my attempts to find it haven't been successful.

Sorry! Don't feel put upon! I have pointed out the 3M store on Wulai Road on any number of occasions plus noting HomePro outlets. Makro? I am familiar with the stores, and I have never seen the masks there. Try HomePro. At least two HomePro stores are close to Makro stores. Good idea to stock up!

I think I remember getting some "3M" masks that were counterfeit and pretty horrible. hot as well, which is fine if it works. last time i brought 20 masks from America, much better. sad to live in a place where the air is not safe to breathe. prison. hopefully you guys can order some masks online.

A few years back when it was really bad the American Embassy web advised to use an n95 rating mask -- I bought many from Home pro 3m brand - I remember taking my long morning walks wearing the mask and at the end the outside was a greyish black color but the inside was pure white - I found it amazing when I took off the mask going from a crisp air to nasty stuff - I think it really works - I stocked up a few months ago not sure what is available now

Yes, the N95 work well at stopping fine particles. The cotton face masks that the BIB wear don't do much at all....

That's b/c the N95 is a certified respirator and the masks/surgical masks are not - just a barrier type of mask to prevent the person who is wearing it to spread their particles to others not the other way around....

Big misconception out there about repirators, masks, etc and they work or their limitations.....

CB