3M Particulate Masks

T_Dog

They're also intended for use when doing dusty activities; sawing, grinding, etc. I don't think they're comfortable to wear day and night, and actually take some effort to breathe through.

I still wish I could find an affordable PM10 / PM2.5 analyzer device to check how effective various filtering methods are. In terms of cost and convenience there is no reason not to stick 3M Filtrete material on an air conditioner (even when just letting it circulate air and not actually cool). However I have no way of knowing how effective that is versus not using it. I do know that by far the best plan of action is to take a holiday when it gets bad, late Feb and/or March. Current values are okay by the way, pretty typical and much the same as when this topic was started a year ago.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

In terms of cost and convenience there is no reason not to stick 3M Filtrete material on an air conditioner (even when just letting it circulate air and not actually cool).

However I have no way of knowing how effective that is versus not using it.

I do.

The 3M store is no longer carrying the Filtrete sheet material. Home Pro in Hang Dong had no idea about it two days ago when I checked in there. Has anyone found a current source for the Filtrete material for A/C units? If so, where and what aisle?

The 3M store is no longer carrying the Filtrete sheet material. Home Pro in Hang Dong had no idea about it two days ago when I checked in there. Has anyone found a current source for the Filtrete material for A/C units? If so, where and what aisle?

Baan & Beyond behind Central Airport had packages of it on a "buy one, get one" last week.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Baan & Beyond behind Central Airport had packages of it on a "buy one, get one" last week.

Lobo... Finally got there today and the two-for-one special is still going on. Bann and Beyond is the only place in Chiang Mai carrying Filtrete from what I found. Not even the 3M store on Wailuai Road has it anymore.

Don't forget to go to Macro and pick up a few rolls of 3M white filter material. I did a month ago while they had stock. Thin filter material that I place over the mesh screen on the intake of the aircon. So I turn the entire aircon into a air purifier! It works really really well. And after 2 weeks, you can peel off the filter material and wash it in a bucket with some laundry detergent and watch the water turn jet black. Hang up and dry and use again. At 300B per roll, its the cheapest and most effictive air purifier you can get. The total area of the filter is about 1 meter long by 40cm wide!

Vibe.. Old post and hopefully you or someone can respond. Where do you find that stuff in Makro? We've checked and they have no idea. Will give the 3M store on Waluai Road a shot this week as well. Time to get geared up!

Makro, superhighway, loads of masks in the Pharmacy section, all the way down from the tills.

Many Pharmacy items 1/2-1/3 normal pharmacy prices.

Was in there today, face masks galore.

Don't forget to go to Macro and pick up a few rolls of 3M white filter material. I did a month ago while they had stock. Thin filter material that I place over the mesh screen on the intake of the aircon. So I turn the entire aircon into a air purifier! It works really really well. And after 2 weeks, you can peel off the filter material and wash it in a bucket with some laundry detergent and watch the water turn jet black. Hang up and dry and use again. At 300B per roll, its the cheapest and most effictive air purifier you can get. The total area of the filter is about 1 meter long by 40cm wide!

Vibe.. Old post and hopefully you or someone can respond. Where do you find that stuff in Makro? We've checked and they have no idea. Will give the 3M store on Waluai Road a shot this week as well. Time to get geared up!

Makro, superhighway, loads of masks in the Pharmacy section, all the way down from the tills.

The Filtrete material I was referring to is sheet stock used to improve the filtering of your A/C unit. Several posters on TV have shown photographs of the material getting black in a few days during the smokey season so we are getting prepared. Already have enough masks, but the sheet Filtrete is a tougher issue.

• Like 1

The Filtrete material I was referring to is sheet stock used to improve the filtering of your A/C unit. Several posters on TV have shown photographs of the material getting black in a few days during the smokey season so we are getting prepared. Already have enough masks, but the sheet Filtrete is a tougher issue.

Interesting/amazing..Even if you keep your doors and windows closed, that that much crap still comes into the rooms...?

• 9 months later...

I have a totobobo face mask and I needs N95 replacement filters.

Does anyone know what is the rating for the Filtrete sheets (15x48) that are sold at HomePro?

The material seems to be about the same thickness as the totobobo filters but would cost about 60% less. I just need to cut them to size which would take no time.

post-35900-0-32475900-1416490763_thumb.j

Edited by vagabond48

I have a totobobo face mask and I needs N95 replacement filters.

Does anyone know what is the rating for the Filtrete sheets (15x48) that are sold at HomePro?

The material seems to be about the same thickness as the totobobo filters but would cost about 60% less. I just need to cut them to size which would take no time.

I have tried quite seriously to get a specific answer to your question. It has been a while, so my details might not be quite on, but the 3M standards belong to 3M, not easily translaable to common international standards. That is not necessarily bad. There is no conspiracy that I have been able to determine. Think not? Write them, not me!

Bottom line? If you want to be safer than safe, go get HEPA-rated masks and other stuff. Some air cleaners do indeed clear rooms of various pollutants, but the cost and effectiveness per cubic meter is very arguable. You are not inside, anyway, all the time!

Practical feasible solution? (1) Clean your air conditioners annually. No joke! Use the 3m Filtrate product to aid the 3M filter material in the air con units already. Very simple.

If you think you are escping all <PM2.5, think again. it is rather insidous The 3M product is very good --- but you do go out of doors, don't you? If you want to look like Darth Vader, then get one of the masks some people rave about. Frankly, I do not understand how those enhance one's sex appeal. Actually, I have never seen one on the streets, if that is where one seeks sex! If I do, I will probably run in the opposite direction to find my zipperzee lightening sword or, at least, some well-sharpened hedge-clippers to use in self-defense!

Edited by Mapguy

I should have been more clearer.

I use the totobobo face mask strictly when I riding my bicycle or motorcycle

so I want to find out if the 3M Filtrete sheets are at least N92 or greater.

If they are, I can easily cut them to size for my current face mask at a much reduced cost.

If they are, I can easily cut them to size for my current face mask at a much reduced cost.

I just looked on the bag and also checked the web and there are no specifications for Filtrete to be found. I like the 9211 masks are they are rated N95 and also have a carbon layer that eliminates the smell of smoke. If you smell smoke, the mask is leaking. Not sure how will Filtrete would work in a mask as it uses airflow through it to statically charge up the plastic fibers, hence capturing small particles. My opinion is you would be better off just buying a rated mask and leave the Filtrete in the AC.

I just looked on the bag and also checked the web and there are no specifications for Filtrete to be found. I like the 9211 masks are they are rated N95 and also have a carbon layer that eliminates the smell of smoke. If you smell smoke, the mask is leaking. Not sure how will Filtrete would work in a mask as it uses airflow through it to statically charge up the plastic fibers, hence capturing small particles. My opinion is you would be better off just buying a rated mask and leave the Filtrete in the AC.

Thanks. I don't know if you are familiar with the mask I use. I am trying to replace the replacement filters (see attached)

Here is their description of the material.

94% filter

Easy to breathe while maintaining high level of protection.

Contains electro-static charges and is highly effective to trap fine dusts and particles even below 0.3 micron. The filtration efficiency is at least 94%. 10 paris in sealed ziplock bag.

This is the best general purpose filter, also our best seller.

post-35900-0-83730000-1416541874_thumb.j

post-35900-0-77230900-1416541905_thumb.j

Edited by vagabond48

I am not sure either, but this looks like an attempt at summarising the effect of some of the 3M Filtrete products:

http://www.iallergy.com/filtrete-air-filter-comparison.php

Not sure where they got their data from, but looks reasonable to me.

3M has a large range of Filtrete products as you see, ranging quite a lot in efficiency. I think the one for sale at HomePro and etc. here in Thailand is the red one rated 11 MERV, which as you see has a lower filtration efficiency than your N95-like mask. I.e., the equivalent of N80 (80% efficient at filtrating the specified range of air particles), if that rating even exists, versus N95 (95% efficient).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I bought a mask for the first time yesterday on a recommendation.

post-120824-0-03354900-1425356884_thumb.

Friend said the 3M shop said this was the one for CM pollution. Authoritative I wonder?

Thoughts:

1. Friend said he doesn't get chesty when using one.

2. Wore one for short but vigorous hike up Doi Suthep yesterday.

It needed a bit of extra suck to breathe in....I guess that means it's a pretty good seal

3. It occurred to me there is always a bit of deoxygenated expired air left in any mask to rebreathe. Not ideal for vigorous exercise.

4. Thought the mask damned expensive for such a simple hugely mass produced item.

So is this a suitable mask?

Anything better (and/or better pricing?

i bought a 3M mask with filters, cost couple of thousand baht. these days dont use it. prefer a towel over face, go into shower close the door and turn on the shower. this was for civic mozzie fumigation. stay in hong nam till danger passes.

mask is built for asian face ie. no nose bridge so becomes uncomfortable for a gualio.

Edited by rabid old goat

I saw the 3M N95 standard masks in Homepro hangdong road and Baan and Beyond yesterday. Model 8210PA1 two mask for 85 baht Hp and 90 bb. 8511PA1 single mask 114 baht hp 120 bb. Makro hangdong road had none only simple cotton face masks of the cheapest kind.

Friend said the 3M shop said this was the one for CM pollution. Authoritative I wonder?

Was it the 3M shop at Wulai Rd.? Because they told me the 9916 was for pollution (blue box).

This is the description of the various types in the 9900 series:

Products are classified by filtering efficiency and maximum total

inward leakage performance (P1 & P2), also by organic vapour filter

capacity (Type G).

P1 Filters are intended for use against mechanically generated

particulates such as those generated from sanding, grinding, drilling,

sweeping etc.

P2 Filters are intended for use against both mechanically and

thermally generated particulates e.g welding, brazing etc. P2 filters

may also help reduce breathing in pathogenic biological airborne

particulates such as influenza virus.

Type G Filters are intended for use against organic compounds with

low vapour pressure i.e. less than 1.3Pa (0.01mm Hg) at 25°C (this

includes most agricultural chemicals)

Though to me that doesnt make it obvious which filter to choose for the pollution we have.

4. Thought the mask damned expensive for such a simple hugely mass produced item.

So is this a suitable mask?

Anything better (and/or better pricing?

How much did you pay? The 9916 was 95 baht, which I wouldnt call expensive.

From the data sheet I do see that your mask: contain a galvanised steel noseclip suitable for use in underground coal mines and are 3M recommended for use against diesel particulate.

3M 9900 Series Datasheet.pdf

need to have 3m P95 masks specifically for pollution

I got a 3m P95 by accident instead of a N95. Is this mask good for air pollution as well? It seems like looking online it works for oil based particles such as paint, but wondering if that would detract from the filtering the smoke.

Thanks

the air quality is currently okay; similar to most other places in Thailand, and better than Bangkok.

Are you sure about that? As I recall Chiang Mai changed there standards a few years ago so could not be compared with other locations (feel good move).

Yes; Because I'm not talking about any (local) standard, I'm talking about the actual measurement values. (I haven't heard of that by the way, even though paying fairly close attention to the yearly haze, and joining the TV discussion every year. Do you have a link?)

That's here, run by the (nation-wide) government Pollution Control Department. http://aqmthai.serve...blic_report.php

I'm not super interested in what any person or group in Chiang Mai deems to be acceptable or not. But a PM10 of for example 60.9 ug/m3 is a number that can be compared to other places in Thailand and the world. (That number, while higher than typical rainy season figures, is very normal for the time of year.) Chiang Mai is actually among the places with the most frequent measurements, in several places inside and just outside of town.

BTW, I'm very much planning to leave in March, of course. Nobody should be in Northern Thailand in March.

You know they spray the particle meters right?

Hey Winnie. I thought that the value of PM 2.5, very small particles, was the one most reflective of air quality. PM 10 measures air particles 4X larger and these are much easier to filter out.

Doesn't the US Embassy in Beijing measure and post hourly values of PM 2.5, and possible no other value?

I only mention this coz PM 10 may not be very indicative of serious pollution.

I got a 3m P95 by accident instead of a N95. Is this mask good for air pollution as well? It seems like looking online it works for oil based particles such as paint, but wondering if that would detract from the filtering the smoke.

Thanks

this is exactly the one you want.

Thanks

As I understand it, they are the same except that the P95 standard requires, in addition to all that the N95 standard requires, that the mask shall be "strongly resistant to oil".

See here http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/

So there should be no problem using the P95 mask when that is what you have already, but perhaps they cost a little more than the N95 mask, and there is no reason to pay extra for it as it has no usable benefits, unless you work on an oil rig.

The mask I bought and showed on post No 51 which the 3M dealer in CM recommended is described below. Fit for CM smog?

3M Organic Vap Dust/Mist Resp 9913V 10/bx 6bxs/ctn
3M ID: WX700900037
post-120824-0-03485100-1425442419_thumb.

Type GP1, for mechanically generated particles, nuisance level organic vapours and Agricultural type chemicals (G) with low vapour pressures (<0.01mm Hg at 25degC)
3M™ Cool Flow™ Valve prevents heat and moisture build up, making breathing easier
The galvanised steel nose clip allows this respirator to be used in coal mines