Bangkok Taxi Passenger Dragged Out Of Car By Driver

webfact

As someone else mentioned Soi 11 is awful for getting a taxi. I had the misfortune of staying on Soi 11 a few months back, and when we went to get Taxi's hardly any of them were willing to put on a meter. I had to end up lugging my cricket gear up the bloody soi, and get a taxi on Sukhumvit. Irrespective, the behaviour of the taxi driver is disgraceful.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of tours are these female guides giving at 4am?

Unless your reply is an attempt at humour, what difference does it make as to the person involved what their profession is.

The situation would be the same regardless of a persons sex, profession, nationality and even time of day etc.

In most countries even in Europe wherever tourismis concerned there are always elements of ripping off the tourists.

It should be, but is not, clamped down on heavily by the authorities, but more often than not it is ignored.

Thailand is rife with this type of crime and will continue to be so.

Coruption is the world wide norm but when discussed at levels such as this forum the discussion often becomes tainted with crys of racism, when in fact it is nothing of the sort.

There are bad people in every country and Govermental coruption in every country.

If you believe otherwise you are a fool.

• Like 2

I think the 1000 baht fine is for refusing to take a fare. If he told her to get out of his cab and she refused I am not sure there is anything illegal about his forcing her out of the cab. Just because the law states he can't refuse a passenger doesn't give a passenger the right to refuse to leave somebody else's property.

It would be nice if life could be perfect but based on personal experience it sounds like the guy gave her a ride (almost surely for free) down the road where he was headed and she would have better luck getting a taxi but there was some miscommunication or stubbornness.

The question is why didn't she exit the cab respectfully when he refused to take her. What a dingbat. It's not like he's obligated to take her. He's running a business and needs to earn a proper buck.

If a taxi stops for you, they're legally bound to take you wherever you want (within reason, of course).

As of 1 September 2012 it was illegal for a taxi to refuse a fare, but nothing has changed, the law is not even worth the paper it is written on despite all the propaganda at the time it was announced. My wife works on Sukhumvit way out towards Bang Na and no taxi will pick her up to bring her to our house because they have no clue that if they just get on the expressway at Soi 62 it only takes 15 minutes to get to Sathorn, so she drives and I take taxis. Living on Sathorn Road and having to go to the airport I find no problem to get a cab to take me for the meter fare (but I always pay more because they are going almost 50km with not that much chance of a return fare so 50 baht on top is reasonable - in Singapore you have to pay add-ons to go to/from the airport, add-ons for peak periods and after hours and more in other places, time we all got real and let these guys make a decent living). Conversely when trying to get a taxi to bring me from my office at Ratchaprasong to Sathorn they all refuse, I normally have to walk over to Langsuan and get a taxi there to avoid the greed of the taxis around Erawan area near my office. I took a photo of a taxi with his "fai wang" (little red sign saying he was available) after he refused me and told him I would report him to the police hot line, he got out of the car, berated me in some pretty nasty Thai profanity, threatened me and drove off. The staff of the hotel lobby I was standing at did nothing to assist and were next to useless (a 5 star hotel in the Ratchaprasong area where I have my office and spend oodles on noodles and more). So the consumer continues to have no rights in this lovely country unless you can buy them and even then the thugs control it. Taxis in Bangkok are becoming more and more like mafia thugs similar to their Phuket cousins, it will be a wonder if Thailand can maintain any kind of tourism popularity except for Chinese (who don't know any better). However, in their defence (The Taxis'), when I arrived in Thailand in 1991 the "flag fall" to start the meter was not much less than the current 35 baht, and the price per 200 meters (or whatever) hasn't much changed, yet the price of fuel has gone from 6.8 baht in those days to over 45 baht nowadays (as a comparison, I know they use gas mostly but don't know the price of gas in those days). So... cut them some slack, pay over the meter if you can because frankly if you were in London, Sydney, New York, or pretty much any other city you could never get a taxi from the airport to the city for under $10... Singapore, KL, Jakarta - also cannot - only Manila are the taxi prices about the same but there you end up in a dirty smelly old corolla or similar with bad airconditioning and taxi drivers who do not know the way around, but mostly at least they are polite. I travel frequently, in and out of the country on business at least weekly and sometimes twice in one week I am making my way back and forth from the airport, 90% of the taxis are in reasonable condition, drivers pretty much know where they are going and drive reasonably carefully (for taxi drivers - try Moscow if you want to be scared as hell, ripped off or mugged). Of the other 10% either the driver is new and doesn't know how to get to Sathorn, or the car is smelly without good air con or the driver appears to be over stimulated (if you know what I mean). Any cheap skate that pays only whats on the meter better avoid New York where the drivers expect to get at least 10% above it if not 20% and will give you heaps of crap if no tip offered. But to the point of the article, a taxi driver cursing a passenger and physically assaulting them should be banned from holding a license for life, definitely the crime committed is under penalised in Thailand, which is why in our last election some HiSo types were quite willing to go around slapping the faces of others knowing it would only end in a 500 baht fine... be careful Farangs, if you think getting into a fight and hitting someone will only get a small fine, its still a criminal offence even if the fine is small and that means instant deportation once you serve your sentence (eg pay the fine).

I empathise and agree with you... it is mafia behavoir...link it directly to the police involvement or inaction... and who can control the police here ? there's only one institution that can and has had to do that several times in the past... but that whole thing is another discussion.... like you said, beware and do not get into argumants with these thugs... as of late they are on a new 'high',,,

Start your video on your smartphone when you ask a cab, then do you have it all on tape if the reject you, then can you afterwards send it to police, and they will be fined 1000 bath each !

In suk soi 11 had this problem always been, i never take a taxi there is parked there, always one that come driving with its red sign on !!

I also remember to tell all the taxi drivers they are lazy crooks !

Taxis play games with us so I play it with them....

I open the back left door and ask if they are willing to take me, when they refuse I gently shut the door so its not closed all the way and walk on

Its a serious stretch for them to reach the back left door to shut it rolleyes.gif

Have you ever thought that the guy you ask may be finishing his shift and honestly can't take you to you requested place?

Not all taxis driver play games, there are many hard-working honest drivers, many from Isarn, who work 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week of a pretty dismal salary.

It's hardly a wonder they think what they do of foreigners with this little trick you play.

And then you woke up 'JonathanBKK'

If a taxi driver has finished his shift he does not appear to working, he states that he has finished his shift. He does not sit around in his car waiting till someone approaches, finds out where they want to go and then says no.

Comments like yours are pathetic at the very least and are worthless.

Quote:

Transport. Scams. Extortion. Bribery. Thefts, both violent and not. This is the Thai society that manifests and grows from Western tourism.

end quote

What the bleep ?????? Thieving violent taxi drivers are the fault of western tourists??? So by that " logic" if every western tourist left tomorrow never to return, that would be a good thing and Thailand could return to its pure ways? Wow.......

It is interesting that Pattaya has a great transportation system. It is a mafia run town, and serious money is made in the entertainment places.

So I think the word from on high here is for taxi drivers to not mess with the golden goose, AKA tourists. Now if only they could stop morons from assaulting Russian tourists.

The question is why didn't she exit the cab respectfully when he refused to take her. What a dingbat. It's not like he's obligated to take her. He's running a business and needs to earn a proper buck.

If a taxi stops for you, they're legally bound to take you wherever you want (within reason, of course).

No they are not. Where did you get this from?

That may be well and true but doesn't answer hyperion's question about why she didn't exit. Do you believe the law allows you to use force to make the taxi comply or that you have a right to hinder in anyway the driver or to enter his vehicle without his permission or refuse to eave his vehicle when asked? He was wrong but she was an idiot. The law allows him to be fined 1000 baht and given the circumstances that should be the end of it but I do believe the women could technically face charges.

If we go to Big C in Suk 77 it is impossible to get a cab back to Suk 71 from the front of Big C as they say it is out of their area and the police only let them stay in their area. If we go out onto the road we can get a cab. Same story at Tesco & Big C in Rama 4 so there must be an pay-off so somebody somewhere. The ones that refuse do not seem to be worried about a loss of income and a lot of our friends who we know who drive cabs are also pretty choosy and seem to make enough cash to survive well.

• Like 1

I think they passed a new law a few months back. There is a number you can call to and they will follow-up. I believe the taxi driver's penalties escalate with the number of reports ... the law doesn't however allow for a passenger to force a taxi driver to do anything.

Edit .. some related threads

:

Bangkok Cabdrivers Protest Penalty For Refusing Fares

Taxi Complaint Hotline Buzzing: Thailand

Edited by Nisa

As soon as a driver rolls down his window I tell him to piss off because no matter where I want to go, they dont want to, so stop wasting my time. No I'm not a tourist, I have lived in BKK for 4 years. Surprisingly I still see a lot of Thai's opening the back door and asking the driver if he wants to take them, it will take everyone exercising their rights before there is change. The other night upon leaving Hard Rock a driver refused, after much debate my partner finally was convinced to call the complaint line. By this time we were in another taxi, the driver over heard the conversation and praised us for taking action. Not sure if the other driver would ever be fined as actioning laws in Thailand are not as making laws.

Yes, I agree. When a taxi stops, if they roll down the window or the doors are locked.... I just walk away.

I consider it a "bad faith" showing on their part. Same as if I was at any street market and the seller asked for 500 baht for something I know can be bought for 50 baht. It's just not worth even starting a conversation about.

• Like 1

I think they passed a new law a few months back. There is a number you can call to and they will follow-up. I believe the taxi driver's penalties escalate with the number of reports ... the law doesn't however allow for a passenger to force a taxi driver to do anything.

Correct. The transportation system in essence breaks down if every driver is playing let's make a deal when it comes to a fare. As well as pissing off tourists. Developed countries are aware of this issue, and strongly control it. Rogue taxis seem to be fixture of third world countries.

Start your video on your smartphone when you ask a cab, then do you have it all on tape if the reject you, then can you afterwards send it to police, and they will be fined 1000 bath each !

Before attempting this ... another thread should be reviewed wink.png

Bangkok Taxi Drivers Beat Down Camera-Wielding Commuter

Actually they ARE.

The law is that a taxi with the "Wang" (available) sign lit cannot refuse to take a passenger.

That is the law as of Sept 1, 2012.

• Like 1

Assault is a criminal offence, you may get only a 1,000 baht fine but then police will send you over to immigration for deportation for having committed a criminal offence.

That's where the next, much bigger 'fine' comes into play. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've gotten in the habit of just getting in and sitting down before I state my destination. That works sometimes. Yesterday, for the first time, I found a cab that had the doors locked. The driver simply reached back to roll down the window before waving me off and driving away.

It's criminal.

They benefit from being licensed, but refuse their responsibilities for fair service.

Just another layer of corruption in the system.

Here we go again. An Issue with BKK taxis but go ahead and take it as a cue to attack "the whole system." Whether or not it is ethical you will frequently find taxis around the world that will try to clip you on fares or who will not want to take a trip that requires tedious driving on the meter tally alone. I hate to use the time worn expressinon but get a life. Your perception of comradery is chiming in with a negative opinion which you think will be applauded by others.

And good grief! Just get in and sit down? cheesy.gif This is your way of taking the initiative in a situation which you know may require bartering- Real savvy cheesy.gif

Edited by techboy
  • Like 1

Isn't part of the reason for the taxi driver's behavior because of the amount they are allowed to charge? I don't know, I first came to Thailand in 2005 and it was still an initial 35b then, still it, then 1baht per minute when stationary in traffic - no wonder drivers don't want or can't be bothered to drive to certain places. I don't understand how taxis work, I know some drivers own their own cars and others rent for the day, but allowing a higher initial fare would solve most problems. For it to still be 35b doesn't fairly reflect the rise in inflation, living standards, etc, you've got to allow people to make a living wage.

Edited by aussiebebe
  • Like 2

I have never had a problem getting a taxi in Bangkok in my years living here unless you consider sometimes having to wait 5 minutes or sometimes needing to walk up to the main road a problem. I think they are incredibly cheap and the vast majority of the drivers keep clean cars, are pleasant to deal with and take you on the quickest route to get you where you want to go.

Not sure how people can make general complaints about a service that is very abundant and incredibly cheap. They don't even expect a real tip here.

Edited by Nisa

Neeranam, a taxi driver that doesn't want a fare can turn OFF the red light that says `Wang', or Available. I leave the door wide open. It is not a trick, it is a statement in response to drivers' cherry picking fares. I work long hours, too, but it doesn't mean I can pick and choose what I deliver my employer or my clients. I can quit and do something else if I don't like it.

And to note, the report that kicked this thread off was about a taxi driver who physically removed a passenger from the cab; that's assault, altho I'm sure he'll never be charged with it.

These drivers refuse foreigners and Thais alike.

The first step to ending this utter nonsense with taxis would be for the coops to honor bookings. How often have you booked a cab and got a call 30 mins beforehand to say there's no car when there's hundreds if not thousands plying the streets for fares of their choice?

Bookings are fares, are they not? Yet there's no a single taxi company in Bangkok that you can reliably book a car with....

Foreign passengers pay what is written on the meter ..... unless they are stupid enough to pay what the taxi wants but that is another story ,

You'll be walking then because they will also refuse to carry you.

1,000 baht fine possible for assaulting a woman. Perhaps if they made it that cheap in my country I would make it a hobby to assault women. Of course I'm not serious, but I do think it's outrageous.

I think the fine they are talking about there is because the driver refused to take her to the destination - yes, in theory, they *must* accept the fare.

The matter of assault I don't think the police were considering until after the hospital examination for evidence of injury.

You don't have to have injuries to constitute assault.

assault means the direct or indirect application of force by a person to the body of, or to clothing or equipment worn by, another

person where the application of force is without lawful excuse. placing someone in emotional fear of being physically assaulted also constitutes an assault.

1,000 baht fine possible for assaulting a woman. Perhaps if they made it that cheap in my country I would make it a hobby to assault women. Of course I'm not serious, but I do think it's outrageous.

I think the fine they are talking about there is because the driver refused to take her to the destination - yes, in theory, they *must* accept the fare.

The matter of assault I don't think the police were considering until after the hospital examination for evidence of injury.

How do the hospital find evidence of assault?

Edited by Kripe