Bangkok Taxi Passenger Dragged Out Of Car By Driver

webfact

I've seen Japanese tourists coming out of the mall before and agreed to pay a Tuk Tuk driver 500 baht to go where a taxi would've cost them less than 100. I just have to bite my lip sometimes - but I do shake my head everytime I see farang in a tuk tuk because you just know they are getting ripped off.

It's the ratchet effect. Taxi drivers, like putas, scamming brides-to-be and near everyone else trying to make a buck, will know instantly what are the highest fees being paid. That's what they'll shoot for, if they know there's a chance to get it. It happens also with tipping, and sometimes devolves to demanding tips or even writing tips in to bills (for farang tourist restaurants and hotels).

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taxis play games with us so I play it with them.... I open the back left door and ask if they are willing to take me, when they refuse I gently shut the door so its not closed all the way and walk on Its a serious stretch for them to reach the back left door to shut it

Very clever, I think I'll try it next time!

Love it

It's just a matter of time before a group of taxi drivers beat the crapola out of someone for doing that, or in response to the other game of offering Bt.500 and walking away snickering. Most taxi drivers are ok, but some are quick to anger and painful retribution, particularly when in a group of fellow toughies. More than a few times, a passenger has disputed a fee and, unwittingly, dropped/tossed a piece of paper money on the ground - to be met with being ganged upon and badly bruised. Better hone up on your Bruce Lee skills before pissing off a Bkk taxi driver.

• Like 1

I've seen Japanese tourists coming out of the mall before and agreed to pay a Tuk Tuk driver 500 baht to go where a taxi would've cost them less than 100. I just have to bite my lip sometimes - but I do shake my head everytime I see farang in a tuk tuk because you just know they are getting ripped off.

It's the ratchet effect. Taxi drivers, like putas, scamming brides-to-be and near everyone else trying to make a buck, will know instantly what are the highest fees being paid. That's what they'll shoot for, if they know there's a chance to get it. It happens also with tipping, and sometimes devolves to demanding tips or even writing tips in to bills (for farang tourist restaurants and hotels).

I thought tipping was an American custom. You already pay for the service so why give someone extra after paying already. Maybe us Aussies are tight <deleted> and don't agree with paying twice. Edited by chooka

I lived in Bangkok for ten years and never had any problems getting a taxi unless right in a tourist spot. Now, When I visit, I always have a laugh as I speak Isarn with the drivers. The last time I was there I took a Taxi for a 59 ride and the driver said to make it a round 50.

I wonder if most of those complaining are tourists who expect the drivers to speak English.

Maybe they don't want you as you are linguistically challenged.

I hardly think it's about being linguistically challenged, I am no great Thai speaker myself, but have often had drivers round down the fare. It's probably more about being polite.

I have never had a problem getting a taxi in Bangkok in my years living here unless you consider sometimes having to wait 5 minutes or sometimes needing to walk up to the main road a problem. I think they are incredibly cheap and the vast majority of the drivers keep clean cars, are pleasant to deal with and take you on the quickest route to get you where you want to go.

Not sure how people can make general complaints about a service that is very abundant and incredibly cheap. They don't even expect a real tip here.

You cannot possibly mean this. On a normal working day, I take three taxis, starting at 5:30AM on Srinakharin Rd. At that time I very rarely have a problem, but I have had a taxi refuse me because (a) he didn't know the way to the BTS - so I told him I could direct him; and then (B) because it was the end of his shift. I got another taxi very quickly and was able to watch the original taxi travelling slowly along until picking up another passenger.

I lived in Bangkok for ten years and never had any problems getting a taxi unless right in a tourist spot. Now, When I visit, I always have a laugh as I speak Isarn with the drivers. The last time I was there I took a Taxi for a 59 ride and the driver said to make it a round 50.

I wonder if most of those complaining are tourists who expect the drivers to speak English.

Maybe they don't want you as you are linguistically challenged.

Well, I've lived here even longer and one of the big objective changes I've noticed is the whole taxi experience - as far as this specific issue, it's more prevalent I'm certain; I virtually never go to tourist areas and 95% I'm flagging taxis down not going to a queue (the exception being at a BTS station on occasion) but I do live in a part of town that downtown taxis aren't always keen on coming to and taxis in this area fairly often don't want to go elsewhere.

I speak Thai and moreover, I frequently see the same taxi who refused me refuse Thais before or after me, so while having the language skills can make a major difference in your experience (I'm NEVER overcharged) -- as it can in all aspects of living here -- I don't think it will solve all taxi woes.

[What does solve the problem? After decades where I'd own a car in Chon Buri or Koh Samui but refused to do so in Bangkok, I now do own one in the big city; I must say to my slight surprise, the independence from taxis easily outweigh the hassles of driving in the big city (not to mention other pluses) ].

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

@STEELEJOE

I agree, before i did not have a car in BKK but now we do, i still use taxi's on occasion and see they refuse much more often as before. I love the car better as begging a taxi driver to take you. It isnt always convenient but often a car is great to have, too bad with good taxi's the need would be a lot less but with them refusing more and more people will look for alternatives.

I liked it that you could report them but like with all the crackdowns it never lasts long.

Some taxi drivers only like to stay within a certain area while others are looking for a fare to get them back to their base or home towards the end of their shift while rush hour traffic on certain roads at certain times is a problem and this is why they refuse passengers. Then there is another group that gathers at night/early morning at clubs (Thai and farang) and simply want to take advantage of the fact people are drunk and don't want to look for a taxi. There are a few others that hang around outside the bars that close earlier that only want to take you to certain other locations (usually a club) because they get a commission for bring people there. In everyone of these cases either waiting a few (usually at most) minutes or walking a very short distance will get you a regular cab that uses the meter and will take you to where you want to go.

Are people really such babies and complainers that this becomes a major problem in their life or that they need to try to make life difficult for a few drivers who are trying make their job (nothing personal) better? There is hardly a place anywhere in Bangkok you cannot grab a very inexpensive cab within a few minutes regardless of where you are going. But leave it to some to find clouds in silver linings.

Edited by Nisa

This kind of thing happens 2 or 3 times a week with me.

Because its a short distance the driver doesn't want to turn on the meter and charge a flat fee of 100 baht.

Soi 11 to 39 on the meter would be half or less than that.

I just ask now "meter". If they say yes I get in or waive them off. Sometimes it takes 5 cabs before I will get an honest driver and then I am always happy to give him 100 baht but I won't be told I have to by a thieving cab driver.

So you are happy to pay 200% of the normal price? Your point being? Next time the driver will demand the same increased price.

My point being I am so pissed off when the first 5 cabs won't turn on the meter that I reward the one who finally does. You think I should only pay whats on the meter and not offer a tip at all? Man, do you sqeak when you walk or what?

Edited by noddy77

I thought tipping was an American custom. You already pay for the service so why give someone extra after paying already. Maybe us Aussies are tight <deleted> and don't agree with paying twice.

No, tipping is not just an custom in America. I've seen Europeans (in Europe) leaving tips. One thing to keep in mind, in many countries, many bills will already include a "service charge" of some sort in addition to the VAT/Sales tax. Effectively, a mandatory tip. Most restaurants in the U.S. do not. They most likely will have a sales tax (type of VAT) but most do not add a "service charge". So, a higher tip amount is customary.

Soi 11 is notorious for this. In the early hours it can easily take 30-45 mins to crawl through the jam of mostly empty taxis to get out of the soi. Not one of them wants to go anywhere by meter.

Even during the day, the taxi thugs have gradually taken over almost all the on-street parking.

Quite amazing that 20 years ago it was difficult to find a taxi from Soi 11 at night because it was dark and deserted. Now you can't get a taxi for the taxis.

i dont know about 20 years ago, but i have been living on 11 for about 15 years, and it has never been an issue to get a taxi no matter what the hour

Some taxi drivers only like to stay within a certain area while others are looking for a fare to get them back to their base or home towards the end of their shift while rush hour traffic on certain roads at certain times is a problem and this is why they refuse passengers. Then there is another group that gathers at night/early morning at clubs (Thai and farang) and simply want to take advantage of the fact people are drunk and don't want to look for a taxi. There are a few others that hang around outside the bars that close earlier that only want to take you to certain other locations (usually a club) because they get a commission for bring people there. In everyone of these cases either waiting a few (usually at most) minutes or walking a very short distance will get you a regular cab that uses the meter and will take you to where you want to go.

Are people really such babies and complainers that this becomes a major problem in their life or that they need to try to make life difficult for a few drivers who are trying make their job (nothing personal) better? There is hardly a place anywhere in Bangkok you cannot grab a very inexpensive cab within a few minutes regardless of where you are going. But leave it to some to find clouds in silver linings.

ever try getting a cab out front of central world?

I live in sathon and it amazes me the number of taxi's I sometimes have to flag down before one is willing to take me where I want to go. As for the popular tourist areas (I.e sukhumvit, patpong) i have seen them queuing up, yet refusing to take passengers unless they pay up. Unfortunately sooner or later someone will pay over the odds generally out of drunken desperation to get home, which the taxi drivers know only too well. it's not right and rather annoying.

I don't go out late at night anymore but a few years ago, the taxi situation along Silom late at night was also as you described above. Possibly still the same now !

not if you get into the taxi on the convent side

"Some taxi drivers only like to stay within a certain area while others are looking for a fare to get them back to their base or home towards the end of their shift while rush hour traffic on certain roads at certain times is a problem and this is why they refuse passengers. Then there is another group that gathers at night/early morning at clubs (Thai and farang) and simply want to take advantage of the fact people are drunk and don't want to look for a taxi. There are a few others that hang around outside the bars that close earlier that only want to take you to certain other locations (usually a club) because they get a commission for bring people there."

All true (if beside the point), of course.

"In everyone (sic) of these cases either waiting a few (usually at most) minutes or walking a very short distance will get you a regular cab that uses the meter and will take you to where you want to go."

Simply not so and it's ridiculous to make such a broad generalization.

"Are people really such babies and complainers that this becomes a major problem in their life or that they need to try to make life difficult for a few drivers who are trying make their job (nothing personal) better?"

Apparently so (as evidenced in this thread). Having said that, and this is absolutely no excuse for petty and malicious retribution, some drivers are gratuitously unpleasant or even rude and some are refusing to go to any trouble at all despite being in a service job (I point that out only to say that it's hardly as if they are all decent guys just doing their job)

"There is hardly a place anywhere in Bangkok you cannot grab a very inexpensive cab within a few minutes regardless of where you are going."

Hardly? Maybe. But there certainly are some (contrary to your earlier assertion).

"But leave it to some to find clouds in silver linings."

Indeed. While we can leave it to you to never see any clouds in Thailand!

Aren't there services where you can order a taxi by phone, and get your own taxi who will run on the meter and arrive to pick you up in a few minutes? I think there is a miniscule surcharge of THB 20, if I'm not mistaken.

1) It can take up to 30 minutes.

2) Subject to availability in your area - which sometimes leaves you in the same situation because a driver can simply not respond to the radio inquiries if he doesn't want to go to a particular place.

3) I'm not sure they'll go and pick you up from just anywhere - I think they probably want an address rather than just roadside.

"Some taxi drivers only like to stay within a certain area while others are looking for a fare to get them back to their base or home towards the end of their shift while rush hour traffic on certain roads at certain times is a problem and this is why they refuse passengers. Then there is another group that gathers at night/early morning at clubs (Thai and farang) and simply want to take advantage of the fact people are drunk and don't want to look for a taxi. There are a few others that hang around outside the bars that close earlier that only want to take you to certain other locations (usually a club) because they get a commission for bring people there."

All true (if beside the point), of course.

"In everyone (sic) of these cases either waiting a few (usually at most) minutes or walking a very short distance will get you a regular cab that uses the meter and will take you to where you want to go."

Simply not so and it's ridiculous to make such a broad generalization.

"Are people really such babies and complainers that this becomes a major problem in their life or that they need to try to make life difficult for a few drivers who are trying make their job (nothing personal) better?"

Apparently so (as evidenced in this thread). Having said that, and this is absolutely no excuse for petty and malicious retribution, some drivers are gratuitously unpleasant or even rude and some are refusing to go to any trouble at all despite being in a service job (I point that out only to say that it's hardly as if they are all decent guys just doing their job)

"There is hardly a place anywhere in Bangkok you cannot grab a very inexpensive cab within a few minutes regardless of where you are going."

Hardly? Maybe. But there certainly are some (contrary to your earlier assertion).

"But leave it to some to find clouds in silver linings."

Indeed. While we can leave it to you to never see any clouds in Thailand!

Bangkok like anywhere else has it problems but complaining about not being able to get a cab in Bangkok is just not even within the realm of reality when talking about problems. Bangkok is probably the easiest city in the world to not only grab a taxi but also incredibly cheap ... but don't let this prevent the doom and gloom brigade from whining about the subject..

• Like 1

Nisa,

Care to put your money where your mouth is and try to take a cap in a tourist area, we could make a bet, next month i have some time and we could see if you can get a cab in 5 minutes or not. We could even do it three times to make it fair ? Then later we can report here back to see who is right ?

1,000 baht fine possible for assaulting a woman. Perhaps if they made it that cheap in my country I would make it a hobby to assault women. Of course I'm not serious, but I do think it's outrageous.

I think the fine they are talking about there is because the driver refused to take her to the destination - yes, in theory, they *must* accept the fare.

The matter of assault I don't think the police were considering until after the hospital examination for evidence of injury.

this is all very sad and seems to be getting worse...some taxi drivers are clearly too aggressive and arrogant...almost scary at times... the issue with them refusing to use the meter near tourist spots like Patpong etc is related to them having to pay the police to be allowed to park there. Ask any cabbie and they tell you they ahve to pay the police so need to recover it from the customers. The issue of a lot of them refusing to go where you want sees to be becoming a regular thing...not sure why...they cite the destination being too far, not enough time, or not familiar with the area of the destination, too much traffic that will waste their time etc. And they can get really aggressive. I have seen this first hand outside Siam Paragon a couple weeks ago. It's a nightmare and nobody seems to be able to control this. I had overseas guests at a 5 star hotel in sukhumvit 3 days ago and I got a taxi for them via the hotel concierge just outside the lobby (with the cc tv cameras) and it took 4 attemtps to finally get a driver ready to take the passengers to the Kaset Unoversity area around 7 pm on friday evening. Upon inquirng with the hotel staff as to what phone number to call to complain (there was this police number published recently), I was told it's a fruitless effort, as the police will only 'catch' them when they go to renew their car registrations. By which time it wil betoo late and also the excuse that the said driver who committed the offence is not actually the car owner. Basically, no accountability and no action is taken by the police.

How will this go away ? Unless the police are serious about pulling up rogue taxi drivers, this will never happen... the fact that the police accept bribes to allow taxis to park at certain spots with many passengers does not help.

either way, it can be a frightening experience to deal with an aggressive and bad tempered taxi driver...

This is Thailand,there's no law enforcement on these sort of offences. Mafia and BIB run the whole show

Nisa Says

"Bangkok like anywhere else has it problems but complaining about not being able to get a cab in Bangkok is just not even within the realm of reality when talking about problems. Bangkok is probably the easiest city in the world to not only grab a taxi but also incredibly cheap ... but don't let this prevent the doom and gloom brigade from whining about the subject"

Clearly knows nothing about how the Taxi Scum operate in BKK

Edited by KKvampire

1,000 baht fine possible for assaulting a woman. Perhaps if they made it that cheap in my country I would make it a hobby to assault women. Of course I'm not serious, but I do think it's outrageous.

I think the fine they are talking about there is because the driver refused to take her to the destination - yes, in theory, they *must* accept the fare.

The matter of assault I don't think the police were considering until after the hospital examination for evidence of injury.

this is all very sad and seems to be getting worse...some taxi drivers are clearly too aggressive and arrogant...almost scary at times... the issue with them refusing to use the meter near tourist spots like Patpong etc is related to them having to pay the police to be allowed to park there. Ask any cabbie and they tell you they ahve to pay the police so need to recover it from the customers. The issue of a lot of them refusing to go where you want sees to be becoming a regular thing...not sure why...they cite the destination being too far, not enough time, or not familiar with the area of the destination, too much traffic that will waste their time etc. And they can get really aggressive. I have seen this first hand outside Siam Paragon a couple weeks ago. It's a nightmare and nobody seems to be able to control this. I had overseas guests at a 5 star hotel in sukhumvit 3 days ago and I got a taxi for them via the hotel concierge just outside the lobby (with the cc tv cameras) and it took 4 attemtps to finally get a driver ready to take the passengers to the Kaset Unoversity area around 7 pm on friday evening. Upon inquirng with the hotel staff as to what phone number to call to complain (there was this police number published recently), I was told it's a fruitless effort, as the police will only 'catch' them when they go to renew their car registrations. By which time it wil betoo late and also the excuse that the said driver who committed the offence is not actually the car owner. Basically, no accountability and no action is taken by the police.

How will this go away ? Unless the police are serious about pulling up rogue taxi drivers, this will never happen... the fact that the police accept bribes to allow taxis to park at certain spots with many passengers does not help.

either way, it can be a frightening experience to deal with an aggressive and bad tempered taxi driver...

This is Thailand,there's no law enforcement on these sort of offences. Mafia and BIB run the whole show

'and'?

Nisa,

Care to put your money where your mouth is and try to take a cap in a tourist area, we could make a bet, next month i have some time and we could see if you can get a cab in 5 minutes or not. We could even do it three times to make it fair ? Then later we can report here back to see who is right ?

I don't need to try and do it because I have already done it more times than I can count. A short walk up the road and/or asking a couple drivers will get you a metered ride ... never once has it been a problem unless you expect to not have to do any waiting or walking each time you exit a location to be able to get a cab. Yes there are times when there is a taxi line (which you can choose to wait in or walk down the street or around the corner) and when it rains it can take longer to get a cab but by far Bangkok is one of the easiest and cheapest places in the world to grab a cab ... but whine on because you might have to walk a short distance around the higher priced cabs parked outside the exits of some locations for those who choose to pay more for this convenience. Even when there are heavy rains and few cabs are free, I have never not been able to get a taxi in a reasonable amount of time..

Nisa,

I don't need to try and do it because I have already done it more times than I can count. A short walk up the road and/or asking a couple drivers will get you a metered ride ... never once has it been a problem unless you expect to not have to do any waiting or walking each time you exit a location to be able to get a cab. Yes there are times when there is a taxi line (which you can choose to wait in or walk down the street or around the corner) and when it rains it can take longer to get a cab but by far Bangkok is one of the easiest and cheapest places in the world to grab a cab ... but whine on because you might have to walk a short distance around the higher priced cabs parked outside the exits of some locations for those who choose to pay more for this convenience. Even when there are heavy rains and few cabs are free, I have never not been able to get a taxi in a reasonable amount of time..

You obviously don't want to try as you would loose. Actually i don't mind walking and have often walked away from those parked taxi's its standard practice. Then you hold a few in the street usually around 5 - 6 or so, and you will get a ride.. but that is not a few minutes at least 10 minutes. But nowadays i just drive myself saves a lot of frustration. Taxi's should just pick people up and operate their meter as is the law period.

• Like 1

Taxis play games with us so I play it with them....

I open the back left door and ask if they are willing to take me, when they refuse I gently shut the door so its not closed all the way and walk on

Its a serious stretch for them to reach the back left door to shut it rolleyes.gif

Have you ever thought that the guy you ask may be finishing his shift and honestly can't take you to you requested place?

Not all taxis driver play games, there are many hard-working honest drivers, many from Isarn, who work 12 hour shifts, 7 days a week of a pretty dismal salary.

It's hardly a wonder they think what they do of foreigners with this little trick you play.

MOst taxi drivers finishing their shifts, are generally heading back to the depot NOT cruising to pick up a last fare in the hope that the customer is conveniently headed in the same direction. The risk of fine from the company outweighs any normal fare, but one uninformed tourist forking out 300 THB for a short trip makes it worth the wait.

Where taxi drivers come from is irrelevant. I have met many nice taxi drivers and they're the ones who pick up every fare and are quite proud of the living they make (Enough money to pay off car, renovate house, put kids through college). Most of these guys net over 1000 THB a day for a normal shift - same as the vultures, only difference is that they are willing to WORK for their money.

I will not get into the car until mia checks to see if the driver will go there. "Tell him expressway mai mee bpunhaa". I usually get turned down by two drivers per trip, and typically it's an older driver with a proper homage to the King adorning the cab. They usually have Creedence Clearwater on the CD player.. I bop my head in approval and sing along..and try to explain the meanings of songs to my wife. I then ask the cabbie if he has any Mor Lam..Skeptical eyes appear in the rear view mirror and a mystery CD appears from the secret box. When my wife and I get to where ever we are going...I give a substantial tip and have my wife tell the driver that I appreciated him allowing us to ride in his vehicle. There are a few good men in Thailand, but they are often tarnished by the usual ilk we deal with just to try to plow through the rot mun dtit.

• Like 1

Nisa,

You obviously don't want to try as you would loose. Actually i don't mind walking and have often walked away from those parked taxi's its standard practice. Then you hold a few in the street usually around 5 - 6 or so, and you will get a ride.. but that is not a few minutes at least 10 minutes. But nowadays i just drive myself saves a lot of frustration. Taxi's should just pick people up and operate their meter as is the law period.

Why am I not surprised?