Bangkok Taxi Passenger Dragged Out Of Car By Driver

webfact

Nisa ''Coming in contact with somebody who refuses to use the meter is a whole heck of a lot different than somebody not knowing what a metered taxi is and how they work. Again give some people some credit who travel outside their home country to Bangkok. Agreeing to go off meter is a choice a tourist, expat or local can make not something that is forced. It is not like they are saying their meter is broken. Sure there are a few uninformed tourists but the VAST MAJORITY of people choosing to go off meter know they don't have to but are doing it out of convenience.''.

I suggest you know nothing about How Taxis operate in Bangkok, Lived here 5 years and I do.

Interesting you claim to know so much but appear to haven't discovered or accepted how easy, convenient and cheap it is to use the taxis here and how there is a plethora of taxis on the street willing to take you to your destination at the metered rate.

Go Nisa!

:)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think many posts really do prove we choose our own happiness, contentment and experiences in life. I for one know I am in Thailand and know it is not as developed, as expensive, as rigid in law enforcement or as organized as my home county but almost everyone of these things usually work out as a positive for an easy way of life and one reason why I choose to be here. As for getting around Bangkok by taxi, I know of no city back in the US that is as easy, cheap and convenient to use a taxi. To find reasons to complain because it sometimes is hot or rains or that you have to walk a short distance to grab a taxi would seem like a conscious choice to be see and experience negative in life.

NY has also has a plethora taxis(very regulated) which is great for living in NY (if you can afford them) but they still have weather, illegally operated taxis and you still need to walk or wait for taxis and when you do finally get a taxi and hope the driver has command of the native language the price to go to the airport from downtown is $45 without tip instead of $4.50. Nowhere is perfect and why some people choose to focus on or get upset about needing to walk or wait a bit for a taxi and that the weather is always not pleasant is beyond me. Why in the world does it matter if you are waiting or walking a few minutes because there is no taxis or because the ones available (usually parked illegally) don't want to use the meter and instead of a $3 trip they may charge you $5 or $6? If walking or waiting is that bad then call for a taxi or suck it up or pay the premium because the perfect world of taxi service you want doesn't exist anywhere and those places where it comes closer to what you want takes a great deal of money to enforce, regulate and employ and you can then expect to pay a hell of a lot more than what the taxis not wanting to go on meter are asking.

But I guess if complaining and finding clouds in silver linings makes your boat float then so be it as long as you're not trying to harm anybody else. If you are going to be in Thailand then you really need to understand some rules are ignored and that is just the way it is here and it is not the place to be if you are big on law enforcement or people obeying every rule or needing government to be heavily involved in the minor things in life that you can work out yourself such as grabbing a taxi.

Edited by Nisa

To find reasons to complain be it because it sometimes is hot or rains...

It'd be nice if you didn't deliberately distort what I said - in other words, LIE - in your unceasing campaign to never ever admit error and insist that everything is precisely as you say, for everyone (just because it is supposedly that way for you), even when unsupported by facts or logic. You so often resort to the strawman which is inherently weak and lacking in intellectual integrity but to intentionally misconstrue something someone said (not for the first time) is taking it to another level.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I think many posts really do prove we choose our own happiness, contentment and experiences in life. I for one know I am in Thailand and know it is not as developed, as expensive, as rigid in law enforcement or as organized as my home county but almost everyone of these things usually work out as a positive for an easy way of life and one reason why I choose to be here. As for getting around Bangkok by taxi, I know of no city back in the US that is as easy, cheap and convenient to use a taxi. To find reasons to complain because it sometimes is hot or rains or that you have to walk a short distance to grab a taxi would seem like a conscious choice to be see and experience negative in life.

NY has also has a plethora taxis(very regulated) which is great for living in NY (if you can afford them) but they still have weather, illegally operated taxis and you still need to walk or wait for taxis and when you do finally get a taxi and hope the driver has command of the native language the price to go to the airport from downtown is $45 without tip instead of $4.50. Nowhere is perfect and why some people choose to focus on or get upset about needing to walk or wait a bit for a taxi and that the weather is always not pleasant is beyond me. Why in the world does it matter if you are waiting or walking a few minutes because there is no taxis or because the ones available (usually parked illegally) don't want to use the meter and instead of a $3 trip they may charge you $5 or $6? If walking or waiting is that bad then call for a taxi or suck it up or pay the premium because the perfect world of taxi service you want doesn't exist anywhere and those places where it comes closer to what you want takes a great deal of money to enforce, regulate and employ and you can then expect to pay a hell of a lot more than what the taxis not wanting to go on meter are asking.

But I guess if complaining and finding clouds in silver linings makes your boat float then so be it as long as you're not trying to harm anybody else. If you are going to be in Thailand then you really need to understand some rules are ignored and that is just the way it is here and it is not the place to be if you are big on law enforcement or people obeying every rule or needing government to be heavily involved in the minor things in life that you can work out yourself such as grabbing a taxi.

I have yet to find a taxi in Bangkok that charges in US Dollars, so stop qouting prices in a foreign currency, as it is moot. Rather use percentages. Sukhumwit 13 to Terminal 21 - Meter price 37 THB, Tourist Qoute 150 ( 305 % mark up). Suvnarabhumi to Ratchada - Meter 170 - Qoute 600 THB (200 %).

Edited by SABloke

I wonder how many posters are sticklers on the rules when it comes to bending or breaking rules that benefit them from buying alcohol at illegal times to buying counterfeit CD / DVDs to accessing blocked information on the net, working without a proper permit, driving without proper license, speaking about forbidden topics, not wearing a helmet, visa status.... But when it comes to some poor slobs trying to make some extra cash providing service people are willing to pay for they became very concerned with how rules are so important.

Edited by Nisa

It'd be nice if you didn't deliberately distort what I said - in other words, LIE -

To quote you ...

People talking about walking a bit to get another taxi and/or hailing a few more as being no great strife may be right to an extent but
I think of being in the blazing heat or pouring rain
with my 2 small children and shopping bags and dealing with that...
Edited by Nisa

It'd be nice if you didn't deliberately distort what I said - in other words, LIE -

To quote you ...

People talking about walking a bit to get another taxi and/or hailing a few more as being no great strife may be right to an extent but

I've never had reason to believe you are stupid but it's either that or you are continuing to be deliberately dishonest if you think that equates to me complaining that it sometimes rains or is hot.

There's no point in arguing that. You and I both know it. Done.

• Like 1

The rule is that meters must be used for trips within Bangkok province. Fares can be negotiated for longer journeys.

Do you have a link to verify this? I have heard people say this but have not seen this in any official rules or laws. Although I am sure a Taxi Driver can charge less than the meter if he chooses, according to the Land Traffic Act - Title 12 - Section 97 ... The passengers shall pay a fare according to the amount registered in the taxi meter ... don't see anything about being able to turn off a meter on a longer trip when it comes to a metered taxi.

Also have never seen any mention of this on the government set price placards in metered Taxis

Bangkok-taxi-meter-rate-card-Thaizer.jpg

http://www.thaizer.c...gkok-taxi-cost/

If you look on the back of the placard it has prices fixed for major towns/cities all the way down to Pattani

• Like 1

To quote you ...

I've never had reason to believe you are stupid but it's either that or you are continuing to be deliberately dishonest if you think that equates to me complaining that it sometimes rains or is hot.

There's no point in arguing that. You and I both know it. Done.

And everyone else too Joe. Looks especially stupid to pull your post, put half the sentence in bold and clearly leave the "2 small children" in normal print. Selective reporting - NISA could get a job at The Nation

• Like 2

I wonder how many foreigners are sticklers on the rules when it comes to bending or breaking rules that benefit them from buying alcohol at illegal times to buying counterfeit CD / DVDs to accessing blocked information on the net, working without a proper permit, driving without proper license, speaking about forbidden topics, not wearing a helmet, visa status.... But when it comes to some poor slobs trying to make some extra cash providing service people are willing to pay for they became very concerned with how rules are so important.

You're comparing apples to oranges (again) . . . we're talking about taxi drivers who refuse to take people when that is their job. If they are not making enough money doing what they do, then they all need to complain and get the base prices and mileage rates raised. It's a service industry, and THEIR JOB is to take people where they want to go to, not where it suits them or if it suits them and not above the legal fare.

As a stupid example (which you seem to like), it would be like walking in to McDonalds and asking for a Big Mac and being told no, we don't want to serve you, go to the next one. Or as an alternative, walking in and asking for a Big Mac and being told that although the sign states it costs 150 baht, you have to pay 300 baht.

What's the problem? Another staff member might be willing to sell you a Big Mac (perhaps even at the correct price) and you can easily walk to another register or perhaps another McDonald's...after a couple different registers and/or restaurants you will certainly get your Big Mac.

:)

• Like 1

What's the problem? Another staff member might be willing to sell you a Big Mac (perhaps even at the correct price) and you can easily walk to another register or perhaps another McDonald's...after a couple different registers and/or restaurants you will certainly get your Big Mac.

smile.png

Ha ha, true, but why should someone have to do that? It's their job to provide a service or product, refusing to do so or charging more than the advertised rate is just "wrong" and illegal.

smile.png

Ha ha, true, but why should someone have to do that? It's their job to provide a service or product, refusing to do so or charging more than the advertised rate is just "wrong" and illegal.

Which was the point of my joke (meant to support your previous post).

Which was the point of my joke (meant to support your previous post).

Ah, I took your post at face value, not sarcasm lol clap2.gif

Sorry - I liked your example but thought my response was so absurd it would be obviously a joke (but underline how just saying one should just move on to another service provider wasn't necessarily reasonable).

As of 1 September 2012 it was illegal for a taxi to refuse a fare, but nothing has changed, the law is not even worth the paper it is written on despite all the propaganda at the time it was announced. My wife works on Sukhumvit way out towards Bang Na and no taxi will pick her up to bring her to our house because they have no clue that if they just get on the expressway at Soi 62 it only takes 15 minutes to get to Sathorn, so she drives and I take taxis. Living on Sathorn Road and having to go to the airport I find no problem to get a cab to take me for the meter fare (but I always pay more because they are going almost 50km with not that much chance of a return fare so 50 baht on top is reasonable - in Singapore you have to pay add-ons to go to/from the airport, add-ons for peak periods and after hours and more in other places, time we all got real and let these guys make a decent living). Conversely when trying to get a taxi to bring me from my office at Ratchaprasong to Sathorn they all refuse, I normally have to walk over to Langsuan and get a taxi there to avoid the greed of the taxis around Erawan area near my office. I took a photo of a taxi with his "fai wang" (little red sign saying he was available) after he refused me and told him I would report him to the police hot line, he got out of the car, berated me in some pretty nasty Thai profanity, threatened me and drove off. The staff of the hotel lobby I was standing at did nothing to assist and were next to useless (a 5 star hotel in the Ratchaprasong area where I have my office and spend oodles on noodles and more). So the consumer continues to have no rights in this lovely country unless you can buy them and even then the thugs control it. Taxis in Bangkok are becoming more and more like mafia thugs similar to their Phuket cousins, it will be a wonder if Thailand can maintain any kind of tourism popularity except for Chinese (who don't know any better). However, in their defence (The Taxis'), when I arrived in Thailand in 1991 the "flag fall" to start the meter was not much less than the current 35 baht, and the price per 200 meters (or whatever) hasn't much changed, yet the price of fuel has gone from 6.8 baht in those days to over 45 baht nowadays (as a comparison, I know they use gas mostly but don't know the price of gas in those days). So... cut them some slack, pay over the meter if you can because frankly if you were in London, Sydney, New York, or pretty much any other city you could never get a taxi from the airport to the city for under $10... Singapore, KL, Jakarta - also cannot - only Manila are the taxi prices about the same but there you end up in a dirty smelly old corolla or similar with bad airconditioning and taxi drivers who do not know the way around, but mostly at least they are polite. I travel frequently, in and out of the country on business at least weekly and sometimes twice in one week I am making my way back and forth from the airport, 90% of the taxis are in reasonable condition, drivers pretty much know where they are going and drive reasonably carefully (for taxi drivers - try Moscow if you want to be scared as hell, ripped off or mugged). Of the other 10% either the driver is new and doesn't know how to get to Sathorn, or the car is smelly without good air con or the driver appears to be over stimulated (if you know what I mean). Any cheap skate that pays only whats on the meter better avoid New York where the drivers expect to get at least 10% above it if not 20% and will give you heaps of crap if no tip offered. But to the point of the article, a taxi driver cursing a passenger and physically assaulting them should be banned from holding a license for life, definitely the crime committed is under penalised in Thailand, which is why in our last election some HiSo types were quite willing to go around slapping the faces of others knowing it would only end in a 500 baht fine... be careful Farangs, if you think getting into a fight and hitting someone will only get a small fine, its still a criminal offence even if the fine is small and that means instant deportation once you serve your sentence (eg pay the fine).

With respect, wouldn't it be better for the authorities to get the meters reset and THEN pay what's on them? Or is that too easy?

As for New York (or London etc...) I never tip taxis unless they give me exceptional service. Any comments, take their badge number because in those countries the police will act on complaints, unlike in Thailand.

TOP TIPS FOR MAKING A SUCCESSFUL STRESS-FREE TAXI JOURNEY IN THAILAND

1. Ignore the taxis that are parked on the side of the road, just walk on by, they are waiting for the big ripoff fares.
  2. Look at the age of the driver, if under 40 (ish) ignore them and wait for an older driver.

That's pretty much it. Works like a charm all the time. Based on my experiences, older drivers tend to be more polite, much friendlier, and not in it to rip people off. They are the ones I give my big tips to at 3am, not the <deleted> that won't even open the doors for less than 500 baht.

I think very young drivers are often easy to deal with too. Guys under say about 23.

“They were waiting only for foreign passengers since they paid more,” a furious Kanyanat told police.

That is not entirely true! As far as I am aware foreigners do not willingly pay more they are simply charged more!tongue.png

In the Thai DailyNews article the story was based on, some Thais in the readers' comments section posted the same sentiments, that somehow it was all the farangs' fault for willingly paying more meaning the local Thais could no longer get a taxi there.

“They were waiting only for foreign passengers since they paid more,” a furious Kanyanat told police.

That is not entirely true! As far as I am aware foreigners do not willingly pay more they are simply charged more!tongue.png

In the Thai DailyNews article the story was based on, some Thais in the readers' comments section posted the same sentiments, that somehow it was all the farangs' fault for willingly paying more meaning the local Thais could no longer get a taxi there.

I imagine there's some truth to that.

Wow what a read......may get in a little trouble here for going off topic or something but

1) Always wondered how some people get their post count so high.......now I know. For some stupid reason I just read all this thread and some people just don't let up. Obviously not a lot to do or something......tongue.png

2) Taxis refusing a fare (not a fair whistling.gif ) is becoming an increasing problem in Bangkok. Personally I never saw any improvement after the Sept 1 2012 crackdown. Observed it happening to Thais and foreigners alike. It's not correct but we all have to live with it and get around it.

3) Unwise to be a smart @rse and leave the back door open or film the guy or take pictures unless you have an armed bodyguard or two. Unsure how much impact your instances of reporting this 'crime' will have on the system. But if you insist on doing the right thing, do it discreetly. First rule - Safety First!!

4) One of my personal faves is being hussled to several taxis and then refused on the departure floor of either airport having just arrived on a flight (I speak fluent Thai). Finally finding one that will go. Before getting in I always ensure the guy will use the meter. OK check, pass, get in and he turns around and says "Oh BTW you need to pay me the extra 50 baht airport pickup fee"!?!?!bah.gif What!?! Try it on!! Do you really think I avoided the regular taxi queue to save time and 50B to pay it to you because you said so? The cheek! cheesy.gif Anyway generally after some gentle logic they defer and take me home without any further fuss.

5) My least favourite taxi experience - sitting pleasantly in a nice, new, clean taxi, with a polite, friendly driver, with the ice cold air blasting in the sealed cabin, moving smoothly through traffic to my destination with plenty of time to spare. Taxi driver looks furtively in the rear view mirror whistling.gif . Shortly after I am assaulted by the most offensive smell known to man clouding the taxi cabin.......sick.gif . Trapped in the cab from hell.......what to do??? blink.png Suggestions? Sure this has happened to everyone.....what do you do?

This kind of thing happens 2 or 3 times a week with me.

Because its a short distance the driver doesn't want to turn on the meter and charge a flat fee of 100 baht.

Soi 11 to 39 on the meter would be half or less than that.

I just ask now "meter". If they say yes I get in or waive them off. Sometimes it takes 5 cabs before I will get an honest driver and then I am always happy to give him 100 baht but I won't be told I have to by a thieving cab driver.

So you are happy to pay 200% of the normal price? Your point being? Next time the driver will demand the same increased price.

My point being I am so pissed off when the first 5 cabs won't turn on the meter that I reward the one who finally does. You think I should only pay whats on the meter and not offer a tip at all? Man, do you sqeak when you walk or what?

Is 200% a normal tip for you then? If it is, then please continue your merry way and try be happy.

Nisa, I'd like to know where the plethora of metred taxis actually hang out. Scarce as hens teeth for me.

Are you kidding? There are like 100,000 of them on the streets of Bangkok!

I mean the ones that actually turn them on, but for some reason I think you knew that.

Nisa, I'd like to know where the plethora of metred taxis actually hang out. Scarce as hens teeth for me.

Are you kidding? There are like 100,000 of them on the streets of Bangkok!

I mean the ones that actually turn them on, but for some reason I think you knew that.

A couple have refused, but there have always been one right behind it who was happy to use the meter.

I know enough not to use taxis who are parked on the streets waiting for gullible tourists.

Very little problem with cabs caught on-the-fly. It helps to speak Thai and not look like a newbie, though.