Teaching And Visa

jambco984

Hello there, I left my old job on Dec 12/13th and had a non b visa extension.

I went to Mae Sot and produced my cancellation paper for WP and asked for 60 days extension based on marriage. That takes us to the 10th Feb.

Anywhoo signed a contract at a new school and want to get started (take that as i have). I want to get all in order and get legal asap.

I have been told rather than going to Laos or somewhere else I can head to BKK armed with copies of contract, passport, certificates and local office letter and 15 days left on this extension.

This would be great but I dont understand it, any experience folks.

Which office in BKK approves this miracle.

Also the Non b visa i got over a year ago has the name of my old school written at the top of the passport page, pose any problems. My new school dont seem to think its a drama and will be all good.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

Another teacher at my school, from China, had an Education visa, and was able to change that to a Non Immigrant "B" visa at Bangkok.

I don't really understand how it worked, but it did (Or maybe they extended his Edu visa based on employment while he waited to graduate, but I'm pretty sure he changed to a "B"). So I think it is possible. It was at a huge immigration office, hundreds, maybe thousands of people doing various different things.

For him, he didn't get his passport back the following day as you do at most Thai embassies, rather it required a second trip to BKK. I don't know if his situation was special (maybe missing documents?), or if that was usual for his type of request.

However if it was me, I'd probably just goto Lao (If it's not a large inconvenience), better the devil you know, than the devil you don't.

• Like 1

Another teacher at my school, from China, had an Education visa, and was able to change that to a Non Immigrant "B" visa at Bangkok.

I don't really understand how it worked, but it did (Or maybe they extended his Edu visa based on employment while he waited to graduate, but I'm pretty sure he changed to a "B"). So I think it is possible. It was at a huge immigration office, hundreds, maybe thousands of people doing various different things.

For him, he didn't get his passport back the following day as you do at most Thai embassies, rather it required a second trip to BKK. I don't know if his situation was special (maybe missing documents?), or if that was usual for his type of request.

However if it was me, I'd probably just goto Lao (If it's not a large inconvenience), better the devil you know, than the devil you don't.

Im trying to tell the school this but they are cock sure its right and I can do it. Its inconvenient and costly if i have to mess around. I like to know what im doing but im clueless at the moment.

Thanks

We have some folks who actually know the ins-outs-and-mechanics of all this stuff. I believe that you can change some types of visa if there is--and the exact number, I am not sure about--21 days left on the visa.

• Like 1

This is what is in my passport.

Tak Immigration

Extension of stay permitted up to 10th Feb 2013.

Holder must leave the kingdom within the date specified herein, offenders will be prosecuted.

Signed.......

Imm officer

Date 12th Dec 2012.

Notice.

To Keep your stay permit re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand.

Notification of residence must be made every 90 days.

What does all that mean? Can i go to BKK or pop to Laos.

Thanks

post-134747-13576075443688_thumb.jpg

There is only one office in bangkok for you:

Immigration at Cheang Wattana Road: http://bangkok.immig.../location1.html

Having read about your situation in the visa forum, I'm not sure if they wil convert to a non-immigrant visa as you already have one and are on an extension of one.

What I would do is this: call the government information hotline at 1111 and explain the situation. An immigration officer will look into things and give you advise. If need be he will even instruct Phitsanulok immigration of what to do in your case.

Might save you a trip to Bangkok. You will know if you can do it in Phitsanulok, Bangkok or have to go abroad for a new visa.

• Like 1

We have some folks who actually know the ins-outs-and-mechanics of all this stuff. I believe that you can change some types of visa if there is--and the exact number, I am not sure about--21 days left on the visa.

I hope someone pops up with a definitive answer. Thanks

Edit.

Mario popped up, great thanks

Edited by jambco984

There is only one office in bangkok for you:

Immigration at Cheang Wattana Road: http://bangkok.immig.../location1.html

Having read about your situation in the visa forum, I'm not sure if they wil convert to a non-immigrant visa as you already have one and are on an extension of one.

What I would do is this: call the government information hotline at 1111 and explain the situation. An immigration officer will look into things and give you advise. If need be he will even instruct Phitsanulok immigration of what to do in your case.

Might save you a trip to Bangkok. You will know if you can do it in Phitsanulok, Bangkok or have to go abroad for a new visa.

So I called all the 1's and asked in English theen asked in Thai to check they undersrood and was told. Maybe call Phits Imm, I have done that I said. OK call Mae Sot Imm, ok will do that. Do you think i will be able to do this without leaving Thailand? Not sure was the reply.

Oh well haha.

Off to call Mae Sot Imm

It would appear that the OP is still on a Non Imm entry. He should just be able to go to his local Immigration office with the correct documents and obtain an extension.

A few times in the past the documents from school have been late. I simply obtained a 60 day extension based on marraige. When that 60 days is near expiry and the school documents have been finalised I have gone back to the same immigration office and obtained an extension based on employment.

• Like 2

My employment contract ended on 31 October 2012. On 31 October I went to my Immigration Office to apply for a 60 days extension based on visiting the spouse (777/2551 2.24). I had the work permit cancellation form with me as that is a requirement to change the reason of necessity for the extension of stay. I got the extension without a problem. On 12 November I signed a new employment contract and got myself a work permit. On 30 December 2012 my extension of stay would expire so on 21 December armed with all the employer's paper work and a copy of the work permit I went to Immigration and applied for an extension of stay based on employment (777/2551 2.6). No problems at all.

• Like 2

My employment contract ended on 31 October 2012. On 31 October I went to my Immigration Office to apply for a 60 days extension based on visiting the spouse (777/2551 2.24). I had the work permit cancellation form with me as that is a requirement to change the reason of necessity for the extension of stay. I got the extension without a problem. On 12 November I signed a new employment contract and got myself a work permit. On 30 December 2012 my extension of stay would expire so on 21 December armed with all the employer's paper work and a copy of the work permit I went to Immigration and applied for an extension of stay based on employment (777/2551 2.6). No problems at all.
Yes, that is how it should work. But apperently not at Pitsanulok Immigration, one of the reasons I suggested calling the government informaiton line. But in this case it didn't help.

Calling the government didn't help but all the knowledge passed on here has been excellent.

Aidenai did you finish a contract and start a new contract with the same school or 2 seperate schools?

Thanks

Aidenai did you finish a contract and start a new contract with the same school or 2 seperate schools?

Thanks

My contract with my old school ended on 31 October. After almost six years there, I didn't want to continue my employment with them. At that very moment, I didn't have a new job lined up so the 777/2551 2.24 extension was the best option. Already in early October I did have several meetings with the new school and finally on 12 November we agreed on my employment. This all had to do with the fact that the job is a new job within the school. I'm not replacing another teacher. It took some time to get some things sorted out but on 29 November I applied for my work permit and picked it up on 11 December 2012. The work permit is dated 7 December 2012. The delay was due to the national holidays of 5 and 10 December.

I hope this answered you questions, jambco984.

• Like 1

Thanks

My contract with my old school ended on 31 October. After almost six years there, I didn't want to continue my employment with them. At that very moment, I didn't have a new job lined up so the 777/2551 2.24 extension was the best option. Already in early October I did have several meetings with the new school and finally on 12 November we agreed on my employment. This all had to do with the fact that the job is a new job within the school. I'm not replacing another teacher. It took some time to get some things sorted out but on 29 November I applied for my work permit and picked it up on 11 December 2012. The work permit is dated 7 December 2012. The delay was due to the national holidays of 5 and 10 December.

I hope this answered you questions, jambco984.

Thats great. So you got your WP and what else did you need to get the extension on your visa? Just so I am 100% clued up before applying

Do you have a permanent teachers license or are you on the temporary license?

Time is running out and I want all to run smoothly.

Can you list all you took to imm to get your extension.

Ill hazard a guess its

Passport

WP

Letters from school

Poss teachers license

What else is expected.

Thanks again

Ill hazard a guess its

Passport

WP

Letters from school

Poss teachers license

What else is expected.

Thanks again

To put things right, there's only one type of teacher license. The teacher license is valid for 5 years and can be renewed by submitting a qualification declaration form. Another document teachers might need to teach legally in basic education schools is a provisional teaching permit valid for two years. I do hold a teacher license from The Teachers' Council of Thailand but the TCT teacher license requirements don't apply to the school I'm working for.

In regards to what else might be needed you might want to have a look at the 777/2551 and 305/2551 documents on the Immigration's website but basically you summed it up already.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy305-2551_en.pdf

..............and the obvious things, TM.7 form, photographs and 1,900 Baht.

• Like 1

Ill hazard a guess its

Passport

WP

Letters from school

Poss teachers license

What else is expected.

Thanks again

To put things right, there's only one type of teacher license. The teacher license is valid for 5 years and can be renewed by submitting a qualification declaration form. Another document teachers might need to teach legally in basic education schools is a provisional teaching permit valid for two years. I do hold a teacher license from The Teachers' Council of Thailand but the TCT teacher license requirements don't apply to the school I'm working for.

In regards to what else might be needed you might want to have a look at the 777/2551 and 305/2551 documents on the Immigration's website but basically you summed it up already.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy777-2551_en.pdf

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/temporarystay/policy305-2551_en.pdf

..............and the obvious things, TM.7 form, photographs and 1,900 Baht.

Thanks for all of the info. A real help ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

So.....

I got my TL waiver 2 year thing and I got my WP today and headed for Pitsanulok Imm. armed with all the docs from the school, cash, application form and photos.

I gave them everything and the lovely lady sifted through it with a fine tooth comb but was finished in no time at all.

She had a look of confusement and read the name of my old school written above the non b sticker and then she checked the name of the new school. She wasn't too fussed and just said you are now on an extension for being married as per your last 60 days extension. I will give you 60 more days and the next time you come show proof of the 400k in your bank account. Lovely jubbly I thought.

No need to leave the country now added bonus.

Thanks for all your help folks.

jambco984