Police In Chiang Mai Arrest Suspected German Child Molester

webfact

Thai police arrest suspected German child molester

CHIANG MAI: -- Thai police on Monday arrested a German man in the northern city of Chiang Mai suspected of abducting and having sex with minors, police said.

The suspect, 52, from Munich, was arrested at his rented house in Chiang Mai, 600 kilometres north of Bangkok, said Police Colonel Virachon Boonthawee of the Child and Women’s Protection Division.

"When we raided his house this morning we found him with two boys under the age of 15," Virachon said by phone.

The suspect has been living in Chiang Mai on a retirement visa for five years. The charges carry a maximum sentence of 25 years in jail.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-07

• Like 1

umm ... call me a pedant but Chiang Mai is 700+ km north of BKK ... if they can't get that right, hard to trust anything else they say. Unless there is another Chiang Mai 100km south of here...

Take everything you read in a Thai news article with a large pinch of salt.

At least they didn't print his name and passport page all over the place. No one should be linked to such offenses until proven guilty.

• Like 1

"Thai 'pimps' ... selling kids"? Doesn't the article say he abducted those boys? While any type of child abuse should be fought and made public, we should also be careful to not dramatize and create an image that isn't true. In my four years in Thailand, I didn't encounter any type of child prostitution or "pimps selling kids". But I do know such statements from the Western yellow press and from people who have never been to Thailand or who saw some young-looking hooker in Pattaya and thought she is 16 and not 29.

No the article does not say that he abducted the 2 younger than 15 year olds found in his house. It only says that they were there.

If he is indeed a pervert, I hope that he suffers as much as possible, but that article does not give any information about allegations or anything.

52 years old and living here for five years on a retirement visa? I thought you had to be 50 to get one of those.

See the first line of post 12.

Could be two gardeners/menial workers, and a set up/shake down by the coppers or someone with a grudge against him. Let's remember the International school teacher from Tasmania working in Phuket a few years ago. And his time in jail, career finished, all over nothing but a Thai woman with a grudge.

In my seven years living in Thailand, I have also never encountered any "pimps selling kids". However, my observation of life on this planet suggests that this is more than possible and probably likely...but this crime story said these boys were abducted by the arrested individual. This would suggest there is an equally serious charge of kidnapping.

"Thai 'pimps' ... selling kids"? Doesn't the article say he abducted those boys? While any type of child abuse should be fought and made public, we should also be careful to not dramatize and create an image that isn't true. In my four years in Thailand, I didn't encounter any type of child prostitution or "pimps selling kids". But I do know such statements from the Western yellow press and from people who have never been to Thailand or who saw some young-looking hooker in Pattaya and thought she is 16 and not 29.

You need to get out more ! There are extensive networks offering young girls and boys for sexual services to these perverts and deviants and they have been in existance for a very long time. 16 or 17 years ago there was a pimping organisation in Hat Yai serving old Chinese Malays who would come up on tours for the company of very young girls. 4 of those arrested were Thai police officers.

No the article does not say that he abducted the 2 younger than 15 year olds found in his house.

It says he is suspected of doing so. (Though I have my doubts).

Well, I just noted 224 users are reading this topic at the moment.

38 TV members, 184 guests and 2 anonymous.

Seems to have struck a nerve.

Very unusual to see such a high view count on a new topic like this.

I don't usually read this part of CM forum but link came up on a general Thaivisa twitter feed so perhaps a lot have picked it up from there.

• Like 1