Thailand Ranks Among The World's Best Places For North Americans To Retire

webfact

Jing, I know you've spent some effort looking at potential country alternatives to Thailand as a retirement destination...

What's your latest thinking about that?

For the typical American, anyplace better -- available, affordable, safe, secure, pleasant, entertaining -- to retire than Thailand???

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spain is in a financial crisis, Columbia?? Uruguay is OK, Costa Rico has always been a expat attraction for the French and other Euro countries, Mexico?? Malaysia is simply Asia, Panama?? Ecuador I've been there 30 something years ago it was pretty awesome back then.

I think I'll stay where I am in the Land of Smilessmile.png

I have a place in Costs Rica. Bought and flipped some property down there over the yrars also. Prices have really gone up since I firstpurchased in 2001. Not so cheap any more.

Jing, I know you've spent some effort looking at potential country alternatives to Thailand as a retirement destination...

For the typical American, anyplace better -- available, affordable, safe, secure, pleasant, entertaining -- to retire than Thailand???

Affordable is not only relative to the country, but to where you live within the country. You can live in Issan on less than 1k usd per month but try that in Bangkok, Phuket, or Hua Hin...

Edited by hhfarang

One size does not fit all! First, make sure you actually can qualify to legally live in the country you like. If people are traveling for retirement exploration purposes why waste your time and money on considering places you can't qualify for? So many people say Malaysia is good who couldn't meet their financial requirements. Some of the places I suspect may be better in the long run for me and some others, Columbia and Chile and Panama, I haven't been to yet so really can't advise. I've been to Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Mexico many times, and Peru, and wouldn't want to retire in any of those (and/or can't qualify now or ever, particularly Brazil). Edited by Jingthing

If you like South America or Mexico go to South Texas. Foods the same but sanitary. If you want to get shot at just go over the border for the day.

Just hang out Nuevo Laredo for a day around the square. Heck, the Zetas will come get your butt in Laredo so you don't even need to cross any more. They will shoot you in Laredo, but they may tie you up and beat you with bat before decapitation or worse in Neuvo Laredo.

• Like 1

If you like South America or Mexico go to South Texas. Foods the same but sanitary. If you want to get shot at just go over the border for the day.

Just hang out Nuevo Laredo for a day around the square. Heck, the Zetas will come get your butt in Laredo so you don't even need to cross any more. They will shoot you in Laredo, but they may tie you up and beat you with bat before decapitation or worse in Neuvo Laredo.

Ya that's what I mean. Get the feel of the place and also have American hospitals for the bullet wounds.biggrin.png

One size does not fit all! First, make sure you actually can qualify to legally live in the country you like. If people are traveling for retirement exploration purposes why waste your time and money on considering places you can't qualify for? So many people say Malaysia is good who couldn't meet their financial requirements. Some of the places I suspect may be better in the long run for me and some others, Columbia and Chile and Panama, I haven't been to yet so really can't advise. I've been to Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Mexico many times, and Peru, and wouldn't want to retire in any of those (and/or can't qualify now or ever, particularly Brazil).

That's why I started my elaboration of "better" with the criteria of "available," because it seems so often that the purveyors of these "great place to retire" lists seem to entirely ignore the visa/entry/residency legalities and immigration schemes. Such was largely the case with the OP article in this thread from IL, although it did briefly mention about the immigration set-up for Panama.

These kinds of lists are interesting for spurring exploration of new ideas and places... But they're often one-sided, narrow-minded and oblivious to a lot of important details that would impact most potential retirees...

• Like 1

A lot depends on what you are looking for and also to project what you WILL be looking for later in your life. Not easy! It is personal.

I think Thailand is degrading badly as a place to retire to in terms of affordable access to medical care without insurance for the medically uninsurable. Some of the Latin American choices may indeed be "better" in that regard.

Edited by Jingthing

Here would be my list of criteria to judge by, kind of in ranked order:

--Able to gain some stable immigration/residency status.

--Affordable cost of living, leading off with quality housing.

--Safety / lack of crime.

--Availability/affordability of good quality medical care.

--Pleasant environment in terms of weather and surroundings.

--Ability to get by speaking English.

--Availability of common Western foods and goods.

--Attractiveness-availability of companion.

--Ability to work and/or run a business and-or own land.

--Availability of international and domestic/local public transportation.

• Like 1

LMF'n ASSoff Mexico? Land of the headless people found daily? International Living is clueless beyond beLIEf and reality

Not so much in the Caribbean area of Mexico and other places as well. It's rather a large country and a massively important one.

The route up the Carribean side to Texas has been subjected to a very violent war between CDG and Zetas. Zetas are all the way down to the Yucatan now and it is very unwise for tourists to venture anywhere out of the Cancun beach area stretch and into or near Cancun.

Unforunately, the violence and Narco controlled territories has vastly spread in the last year or two and now the vast majority of Mexico is controlled by Narco cartels. Some of the interior areas were at one time immune to Narco violence. Thyese areas, however, are now under Narco control and the citizens are subject to shakedown or execution. There are three primary routes and these are subject to changes due to millitary patrols, but even more so by Narco wars. For instance, the Zetas, CJNG, Taliban, CDG, and Sinola cartels are all going after same routes. Zetas may regain control of squares in Tamaulipis, Zacatecas, or Veracruz. CDG may then respond by moving the route through Hidalgo which is apaprently the next big Zeta traget.

There are apparently now more than 80 Mexican drug cartels and Columbians cartels also have a big influence in Mexico. The situation has virtually spiraled out of control and there is basically no law or government in place in more than half of Mexico. The law and government in place is controlled by Cartels or they and their families are tortured and executed.

Rubbish !

Afraid not. Which part. I can cite articles to everything I say.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/mexico-has-80-drug-cartels-attorney-general

http://www.insightcrime.org/zetas-monterrey/how-the-zetas-took-monterrey

Edited by F430murci

What about the thousands of Islands of the Philippines too? With tropical sunshine, silvery beaches, world-class diving and jungle adventures, the Philippines is seventh heaven for vacationers. But this Southeast Asian country also has retirement-haven credentials. For starters, it never gets cold. There’s no language barrier—its ever-smiling people speak English. Private health care is inexpensive and the Philippines is a popular destination for medical tourism. Dazzling white sands, Low living costs and inexpensive inter-island flights & No need to learn a foreign language

One reason why to NOT retire in the Philippines is religion (Catholic for the majority, Muslim for a big minority) !

One example only : one fellow felt in love with a Filipino, who was separated but not divorced, as divorce is not allowed in the country, thanks to the heavy duty tactics of the Catholic Church. They had a baby; the jealous ex-husband (who was used to beat his wife) wanted to make some money from the situation and had the corrupted police arrest both the fellow and his GF on adultery charges. Requested extortion amounts were to high for the fellow, so they ended up in court : both found guilty and were heading for prison, but while on bail they bought their way out of the country and now live live in the US. True story. Reported by the Discovery Channel and in the press.

If you retire in the Philippines beware of the religious fanatics either Catholics or Muslims (no insult intended).

It seems that you are describing some parts of North America or Europe, EXCEPT for item two (affordable) ! This level of perfection (all elements fulfilled) shall (may) prove to be very difficult to attain in most if not all the listed countries currently topping the charts of World's best Places to Retire.

Well there you go ,only last week the Australian and U.K. Ambassadors were panning the place , marvelous what a week can do.coffee1.gif

Yes, but they also said "clean, wholesome pattaya", last I checked pattaya was anything but wholesome. "Endless puntang" should be the motto. And this list was probably made before recent killings were noted.

More likely the fact that it is very cheap and warm make people consider it. But it won't be long before prices go up and it get too crowded for me. That's the problem when places are advertised as great, everyone moves there.

OK. I'm off to Ecuador. crazy.gif

Isn't that where the turkeys were all going, planning to claim political-asylum, prior to the Christmas festivities ? rolleyes.gif

They were hoping to pass themselves off as followers of that Julian Assange chap, I heard.

I really should Google it and find out where the heck it is! smile.png

As long as you can guess the continent, there is a bit of a clue in the name.

Are you an American by any chance?

OK. I'm off to Ecuador. crazy.gif

Isn't that where the turkeys were all going, planning to claim political-asylum, prior to the Christmas festivities ? rolleyes.gif

They were hoping to pass themselves off as followers of that Julian Assange chap, I heard.

I really should Google it and find out where the heck it is! smile.png

As long as you can guess the continent, there is a bit of a clue in the name.

Are you an American by any chance?

biggrin.png

It does seem to have some nice beaches and some of them don't appear to be full of plastic sun-loungers and people selling stuff.

post-35489-0-54692000-1357629655.jpg

post-35489-0-54692000-1357629655_thumb.j

I lived in Colombia for one year, and would consider it for retirement, but probably not if I had children under 18, because of the educational system there. It's beautiful, great weather (don't need an air conditioner or a heater in winter), many things to see and do, beaches, scenery...I think the Caribbean coast, like Santa Marta and Cartagena would be a tad too hot for most, though. It's the kind of heat where you don't even want to go outside from 10 am until 3 or 4 p.m.

I lived in Thailand for two years (Eastern Seaboard/university city) and don't consider it a viable option because of the property and visa issues, but mostly because of the concern about what will happen to the stability in the country if something were to happen to a certain someone's health...

I live in China now and wouldn't want to retire here, lol.

Speaking Spanish, countries like Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia as well as Ecuador are better options than the Asian countries because of the ease of communication.

Have visited the Philippines many times (just came back from 2 weeks) and it's becoming a bit more expensive...especially with Koreans buying up lots of properties in Angeles (the Pattaya of Phils), Manila and Cebu, to name a few. The Phils definitely isn't as cheap as Thailand, although both countries can be quite expensive if you travel frequently and go to the malls for a majority of your meals.

In Asia, I would CONSIDER the SW coast of Cambodia if the political situation improves...it's a bit of an undiscovered treasure and not so touristy yet. The central coastal area of Vietnam (Hue, Da Nang and Nha Trang) is quite beautiful. But always, you're looking at cultural/language barriers with the Asian countries. Malaysia was surprisingly modern and cosmopolitan to me, at least Kuala Lumpur.

I was interested to note Bali wasn't on the list, Indonesia and Malaysia are both rising economies (along with Vietnam) and, as long as you never had to deal with the traffic of Jakarta, a city like Bandung might be ideal, as you could always fly to the resort areas within an hour or so.

Caicedonia, south of Armenia, is the prettiest, most picturesque area of Colombia (to me). For the Philippines, it would probably be Siargao, which is a surfing haven...although I also like Baguio, because of the cool and crisp weather.

Will travel to India for 3 weeks in February so that will give me some first-hand insight into China's global rival. Definitely not a country coming up on anyone's retirement list. None of the Middle Eastern countries did either, like UAE/Dubai/Abu Dhabi...despite efforts to make it a combination of Las Vegas and New York/London.

Singapore is just too expensive now, although it's great fun to visit for a week or less.

Taiwan would be another place I would at least consider. At least they like baseball there, haha.

Edited by caulfield2
  • Like 2

It seems that you are describing some parts of North America or Europe, EXCEPT for item two (affordable) ! This level of perfection (all elements fulfilled) shall (may) prove to be very difficult to attain in most if not all the listed countries currently topping the charts of World's best Places to Retire.

It's a bit strange that some are complaining about the prices in Spain....seems to be a total disconnect from the economy and unemployment rate (25%, roughly) with the opportunities for travel/retirement there. One would think there would be some cheap foreclosed properties available in many of the countries like Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece that have been suffering the most during the financial crisis.

Of course, you also have to consider the "feel" of living in a country in decline, versus the palpable excitement of cities like Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taipei, Abu Dhabi/Dubai, Rio, etc.

Probably it would be best to do your own reconn and spend a month or so in Europe for a better idea. I did that once when I considered teaching in the Czech Republic, and found I didn't feel 100% comfortable there, as opposed to countries like Colombia where everyone invites you to have a beer, dance or play futbol with their family as you're walking by in the streets.

That said, I married a Russian once upon a time and love the Eastern European "look," so maybe I'll teach in Hungary in 2013 or 2014, just for a change of pace after spending most of my time in Asian countries.

Central/South America would be a lot of fun, too.

It seems Americans have a pretty bad taste when it comes to places for retirement. Not surprising.

Americans have limited incomes! Most baby boomers will have no private pension and the current AVERAGE social security pension is about 1200 dollars per month. The vast majority of Americans over 50 don't even have 50K USD saved. Real estate values have plummeted. Get the picture? Money is number one.

Of course, naturally, for North Americans considering retirement abroad, the first place most will look is in the Americas.

Would appear to me that it is also a question of easy accessibility.

Just fly south for a few hours and you are in different country.

And these southern countries do not create much fear (in some instances it should, (Columbia, Mexico) as americans know someone wo went to one of these countries, ans came back alive. Fewer envisage the long trip of more than 20 hours by plane, to go to a country they know little about.

Many europeans who are not that wealthy come to S-E Asia, because it is close, they know about it, and it is an easy travel. And the cost of living is less once at destination.

It seems Americans have a pretty bad taste when it comes to places for retirement. Not surprising.

Americans have limited incomes! Most baby boomers will have no private pension and the current AVERAGE social security pension is about 1200 dollars per month. The vast majority of Americans over 50 don't even have 50K USD saved. Real estate values have plummeted. Get the picture? Money is number one.

Of course, naturally, for North Americans considering retirement abroad, the first place most will look is in the Americas.

Would appear to me that it is also a question of easy accessibility.

Just fly south for a few hours and you are in different country.

And these southern countries do not create much fear (in some instances it should, (Columbia, Mexico) as americans know someone wo went to one of these countries, ans came back alive. Fewer envisage the long trip of more than 20 hours by plane, to go to a country they know little about.

Many europeans who are not that wealthy come to S-E Asia, because it is close, they know about it, and it is an easy travel. And the cost of living is less once at destination.

Definitely, I drugged and robbed in Colombia, but it was my own fault for entering a dodgy bar by myself.

Luckily, at least she didn't take my passport or driver's license, and credit cards are easy to cancel. Some people have psychotrophic drugs that are so potent used on them that they have a hard time recovering.

It seems, two years removed from Thailand, that it is becoming a bit more dangerous, although I honestly never felt in danger while I lived there. Maybe just from following/lurking at TV.com, it seems you only hear bad news or about deaths and mysterious circumstances and "suicides," which happen with seemingly 10X the frequency of other Asian countries.

I would actually argue Russia and Ukraine are more dangerous...those are two places I would never venture some places by myself, as opposed to nearly everywhere in the Americas, Eastern Europe and Asia. Haven't been in Mexico recently, but would have some grave concerns in certain areas of northern Mexico. There are many safe places as well, certainly.

Edited by caulfield2
  • Like 1

My God

The caption below the pic says

Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya

Who writes this stuff for Coconutz?

Have they been to Pattaya?

Give me a break.

Have you?

Are you aware there is more in pattaya than walking street and soi 6?

You cannot be serious.

Tell me have you ever really said this to one of your mates.

"Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya"

Have you ever thought this to yourself what a nice place to spend my goldern years, wholesome Pattaya.

EVER??

I did live in Pattaya and no longer do.

I'm in Hua Hin where every other person is not on the game.

Doc

Spend your golden years in clean, wholesome Pattaya

I assume they are being sarcastic!

Pattaya is a charming delightful tropical beach resort. If all of Thailand was like Pattaya it would have scored the number 1 spot easily.

I assume your being sarcastic to!

I spend half the year in Latin America and the other half in SE Asia and can say there are advantages to both places.

I am presently in Mexico and do love the place and don't buy the fears about the violence. If you stay away from drugs you are pretty safe.

Really, the big advantage to me about SE Asia is the fact that I can get around in English while in Latin America I cannot. I do try my hardest at langauge learning and in fact have studied Spanish for about 45 years and still suck at it.

In SE Asia there is no real expectation that I will know the local langauge. I did pick up some Thai over the years but probably sound like a 5 year old to the locals.

No place is perfect but in the end for me it all comes down to places I can afford. At times I really think i would like to be living in Paris but just don't have the cash for it.

• Like 2

Well I wouldn't retire there BECAUSE they are there and I also wouldn't NOT retire there because they are there. I agree International Living is a key factor in publicizing Ecuador as a retirement target though. However, they ALSO heavily promote Costa Rica (considered kind of "out"), Nicaragua, Panama, Uruguay, and Columbia. It's caveat emptor like everything else in life.

Edited by Jingthing

Well I wouldn't retire there BECAUSE they are there and I also wouldn't NOT retire there because they are there. I agree International Living is a key factor in publicizing Ecuador as a retirement target though. However, they ALSO heavily promote Costa Rica (considered kind of "out"), Nicaragua, Panama, Uruguay, and Columbia. It's caveat emptor like everything else in life.

IL has financial interests in all of these countries. Especially in the area of promoting real estate. One reason I tend to discount what they publish. Seems to be very biased.

http://www.gvecr.com/

Grand View Estates is a premier housing development sponsored by International Living magazine and perfectly situated on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica that is fast becoming one of the hottest places to invest in Costa Rica.

http://internationalliving.com/2012/05/how-to-save-48000-on-costa-rican-real-estate/

Attendees at our International Real Estate Investment Forum can buy an ocean view lot for $60,000 (that lists for $75,000). That’s a savings of $15,000…plus you can buy with a manageable down payment and monthly interest-free payments of $905.08.

The best place for N.Americans to retire is CUBA. Opening up this year. Check it out,so close to home,and cheap.

The infrastructure is a mess, food outside international hotels is shakey, transport is almost non-existant, locals are treated very poorly by the police...who are extremely corrupt. Beautiful country, but has issues to deal with. I've been a few times.