Thailand Ranks Rather Poorly On Economist Best/worst Countries To Be Born In Study

Jingthing

In the West, working is completely optional. The government will take care of you from birth to death.

Oh, now I understand why NOBODY in the west works coffee1.gif

The government will take care of you from birth to death but it wont be a glamorous life style.

They don;t; that's a fairytale

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a link to the 1988 study and rankings?

You're lazy....

It is in the article I provided the link from:

http://www.economist...13-lottery-life

post-13995-0-47486600-1357609549_thumb.j Where to be born in 1988

You owe me a beer, but a fresh fruit juice is also OK ! tongue.png

What a crap - Singapore below the Philippines.

Studies like that serve only some sociologists who would be jobless otherwise.

"The best countries to be born in are small, peaceful, homogenous, liberal democracies."

Those of us who aren't liberals might not agree. This is the most slanted survey of the day.

Not sure if you're serious but the study is about “which country will provide the best opportunities for a healthy, safe and prosperous life in the years ahead,” not petty partisan politics and labels.

You have to define and prioritize your "opportunities." Do I want the "opportunity" to live in a nanny state? No. Do I want the "opportunity" to work my butt off and pick up the tab for slackers? No. Do I want the "opportunity" to get the chit taxed out of me? No. Do I want the "opportunity" to have costs in the form of excessive import duties and VATs added to everything I buy? No Do I want the "opportunity" to pay half of all I earn in taxes of one form or the other? No.

Do I want the "opportunity" to keep what I earn, and the "opportunity" to do more of what I want to do without being told by "the group?" Yes. Do I want small government that leaves me the hell alone as long as I'm not infringing on someone else's life? Yes.

"Tax his land,

Tax his bed,

Tax the table

At which he’s fed.

Tax his tractor,

Tax his mule,

Teach him taxes

Are the rule.

Tax his work,

Tax his pay,

He works for peanuts

Anyway!

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirt,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,

Tax his drink,

Tax him if he

Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,

Tax his beers,

If he cries

Tax his tears.

Tax his car,

Tax his gas,

Find other ways

To tax his ass.

Tax all he has

Then let him know

That you won’t be done

Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;

Then tax him some more,

Tax him till

He’s good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod in

Which he’s laid.

Put these words

Upon his tomb,

‘Taxes drove me

to my doom…’

When he’s gone,

Do not relax,

Its time to apply

The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

CDL license Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gasoline Tax (44.75 cents per gallon)

Gross Receipts Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)

Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Personal Property Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

Service Charge T ax

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Tax

Sales Tax

Recreational Vehicle Tax

School Tax

State Income Tax

State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)

Telephone Federal Excise Tax

Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax

Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes

Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax

Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax

Telephone State and Local Tax

Telephone Usage Charge Tax

Utility Taxes

Vehicle License Registration Tax

Vehicle Sales Tax

Watercraft Registration Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

Are we missing any here?

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the

most prosperous in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What in the hell happened? Can you spell ‘politicians?’"

- Unkown.

Taxing the very breath you exhale with carbon tax

• Like 1

You're lazy....

And Saudi Arabia rated lower then Singapore in the yawn index??? <deleted>

"The best countries to be born in are small, peaceful, homogenous, liberal democracies."

Those of us who aren't liberals might not agree. This is the most slanted survey of the day.

Not sure if you're serious but the study is about “which country will provide the best opportunities for a healthy, safe and prosperous life in the years ahead,” not petty partisan politics and labels.

You have to define and prioritize your "opportunities." Do I want the "opportunity" to live in a nanny state? No. Do I want the "opportunity" to work my butt off and pick up the tab for slackers? No. Do I want the "opportunity" to get the chit taxed out of me? No. Do I want the "opportunity" to have costs in the form of excessive import duties and VATs added to everything I buy? No Do I want the "opportunity" to pay half of all I earn in taxes of one form or the other? No.

Do I want the "opportunity" to keep what I earn, and the "opportunity" to do more of what I want to do without being told by "the group?" Yes. Do I want small government that leaves me the hell alone as long as I'm not infringing on someone else's life? Yes.

"Tax his land,

Tax his bed,

Tax the table

At which he’s fed.

Tax his tractor,

Tax his mule,

Teach him taxes

Are the rule.

Tax his work,

Tax his pay,

He works for peanuts

Anyway!

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirt,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,

Tax his drink,

Tax him if he

Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,

Tax his beers,

If he cries

Tax his tears.

Tax his car,

Tax his gas,

Find other ways

To tax his ass.

Tax all he has

Then let him know

That you won’t be done

Till he has no dough.

Then tax him some more,

Tax him till

He’s good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod in

Which he’s laid.

Put these words

Upon his tomb,

‘Taxes drove me

to my doom…’

When he’s gone,

Do not relax,

Its time to apply

The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

CDL license Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gross Receipts Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Personal Property Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

Service Charge T ax

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Tax

Sales Tax

Recreational Vehicle Tax

School Tax

State Income Tax

Utility Taxes

Vehicle Sales Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

Are we missing any here?

We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

- Unkown.

A couple more

Estate Tax

FUTA unemployment tax

Gift Tax

Travel Tax (Plane Train Boat Car Rental)

I'm sure they will find more.

• Like 1

Good, better, bad, worst are subjective terms , subject to the criteria the observer uses to determine what constitutes the above.

Different people from different cultures might have might have different ideas of what constitutes the above terms as it applies what is the best place to be born in. What is considered good by one might not be good for an other.

I know what some of the objections to what I just said might be, some one could , let's say for the sake of argument that long life is an objective criteria, but some one else might successively argue that a shorter but more free life is better.

So in my oppinion this list is only valid for people that share the Economists view as to what constitutes a good place to be born in.

• Like 2

Thailand has a lower suicide rate than the top three countries despite having a much worse economy. Makes me wonder the value of these studies.

Well in richer countries the pressures are greater and more people are likely to commit suicide. You even get idiots doing that when they break up with their Thai girlsfriend, as was the case recently.

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Hehe..., I think they mean liberal in the sense of "favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, especially as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties". Probably not liberal as in left-wing.

By the way, Greenland on the Better places to be born list? Hmmm... Even better, Hong Kong and Singapore?? blink.png Singapore where you cannot spit or chew bubble gum, and where the government plans to get you married? And Hong Kong with all that interference from Beijing? sad.png

Edited by 007

You're lazy....

im part german born in singapore. actually singapore was very different in 80s era. They get developed rather quickly afterwards, just expected from a city state

Edited by rookball

I'm not about to even attempt to argue for or against the validity of the study but I wonder if some people are failing to grasp the concept: it's about where is the best place - all things considered - to BE BORN, not to live now. In other words, where does someone born in 2013 have a chance of living a "good" life over the course of the average lifespan.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

I personally rather enjoy the opportunity to work anywhere in the world, thanks to an excellent education and well-established multilateral diplomatic links. I don't think I would swap that for the freedom to work in a paddy field. And I am happy to sacrifice the right to wear carpet slippers and go bare-headed when I'm on a construction site,

Personally, I blame the old fellas that voted for the politicians that they now complain about.

SC

My thoughts exactly. These "Best courties" topics always amuse me. The writers start with preconcieved premise and work backwards from there.

The "Best country" ideal is almost totally personal. Anyone can pick out the extremes in any topic.

I personally rather enjoy the opportunity to work anywhere in the world, thanks to an excellent education and well-established multilateral diplomatic links. I don't think I would swap that for the freedom to work in a paddy field. And I am happy to sacrifice the right to wear carpet slippers and go bare-headed when I'm on a construction site,

Personally, I blame the old fellas that voted for the politicians that they now complain about.

SC

My thoughts exactly. These "Best courties" topics always amuse me. The writers start with preconcieved premise and work backwards from there.

The "Best country" ideal is almost totally personal. Anyone can pick out the extremes in any topic.

Personally, I feel I am much better off having grown up in a country where I got an excellent education, and received a passport which allowed me freedom of movement around the world; neither of which are enjoyed by the majority of Thais just now.

SC

As long as it's buddhist country, I don't care how poor it is. Being buddhist for me is the most precious thing for being born as a human.

I'll withhold some of the response that comes to mind only to say that If Buddhism is so important to you, I'm rather surprised if you feel happy about the degree to which so many Thais are or are not truly Buddhist and how much of a "Buddhist country" this is.

But I suppose you are fortunate to know what's most important to you and to apparently feel that you've found it; congratulations...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

Daily chart

Birth right

Jan 1st 2013, 14:14 by Economist.com

Where to be born in 2013

A QUARTER of a century ago, The World in 1988 light-heartedly ranked 50 countries according to where would be the best place to be born. Then, America came top (see chart on left). Now the Economist Intelligence Unit has more earnestly calculated where would be best to be born in 2013.

Read more: http://www.economist.../01/daily-chart

20121229_woc992.png

• Like 1

Oh dear, back to school! All of the countries of western Europe and North America, Australia, NZ, etc are liberal democracies. The term means means democracies with freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom to demonstrate, freedom to strike, etc, etc. Are you against those things or is it simply that you don't understand the term "liberal democracies"?

Oh dear, back to school! All of the countries of western Europe and North America, Australia, NZ, etc are liberal democracies. The term means means democracies with freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, freedom to demonstrate, freedom to strike, etc, etc. Are you against those things or is it simply that you don't understand the term "liberal democracies"?

Would you describe Singapore as a liberal democracy? Hong Kong? UAE?

SC

EDIT: I wonder if the assessment is based on being born as a national, or being born as a foreigner - of particular relevance in the UAE, where nationals make up a minority of the population.

Edited by StreetCowboy

If this is news to anyone I have some more news for you ........ Cancer ranks rather poorly on best\worst health problems to have. A 1970 pinto ranks rather poorly on the best\worst cars to own. Alaska ranks rather poorly on the best\worst becahfront property. Rattlesnakes rank rather poorly on best\worst snakes to bite you. Lesbians rank rather poorly on best\worst people to most likely to date a hetrosexual man. and so on ......

If this is news to anyone I have some more news for you ........ Cancer ranks rather poorly on best\worst health problems to have. A 1970 pinto ranks rather poorly on the best\worst cars to own. Alaska ranks rather poorly on the best\worst becahfront property. Rattlesnakes rank rather poorly on best\worst snakes to bite you. Lesbians rank rather poorly on best\worst people to most likely to date a hetrosexual man. and so on ......

Do you have data to back up these claims? Although not popular due to its remoteness, I am sure some people would find Alaska even more attractive than the Western Isles, but without proper survey data, all we have is prejudice. For example, how to rattle snake bites compare with cobra bites?

SC

In the West, working is completely optional. The government will take care of you from birth to death.

When you say the West, do you mean other Western countries as well as the UK? But you are definitely right when it comes to the UK if you are referring to the people who, although they are fit to work, they just live off benefits. But I believe something is starting to get done about that now.

"Tax his land,

Tax his bed,

Tax the table

At which he’s fed.

Tax his tractor,

Tax his mule,

Teach him taxes

Are the rule.

Tax his work,

Tax his pay,

He works for peanuts

Anyway!

Tax his cow,

Tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

Tax his shirt,

Tax his work,

Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,

Tax his drink,

Tax him if he

Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,

Tax his beers,

If he cries

Tax his tears.

Tax his car,

Tax his gas,

Find other ways

To tax his ass.

Tax all he has

Then let him know

That you won’t be done

Till he has no dough.

Then tax him some more,

Tax him till

He’s good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,

Tax his grave,

Tax the sod in

Which he’s laid.

Put these words

Upon his tomb,

‘Taxes drove me

to my doom…’

When he’s gone,

Do not relax,

Its time to apply

The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax

Building Permit Tax

CDL license Tax

Cigarette Tax

Corporate Income Tax

Dog License Tax

Excise Taxes

Federal Income Tax

Fishing License Tax

Food License Tax

Fuel Permit Tax

Gross Receipts Tax

Hunting License Tax

Inheritance Tax

Inventory Tax

Liquor Tax

Luxury Taxes

Marriage License Tax

Medicare Tax

Personal Property Tax

Property Tax

Real Estate Tax

Service Charge T ax

Social Security Tax

Road Usage Tax

Sales Tax

Recreational Vehicle Tax

School Tax

State Income Tax

Utility Taxes

Vehicle Sales Tax

Well Permit Tax

Workers Compensation Tax

Are we missing any here?

- Unkown.

I hope RabC reads this as it sums up the UK.

In the US in 2010, "someone died in a house fire every 169 minutes." (You'd think that dumb bastard would learn after a while, wunnt ya?) smile.png

In addition to the 2,600+ killed, another 13,000+ were injured. With 384,000 home fires in one year alone and almost 20,000 killed or injured,

I don't dare stay home. smile.png

Link

As RabC would say "do you have the statistics to back this up?"

Oh, now I understand why NOBODY in the west works coffee1.gif

The government will take care of you from birth to death but it wont be a glamorous life style.

Sometimes it actually is, it is quite common for people on benefits to be better of than those in regular employment in the UK.