For The Birds !

samuijimmy

@Oilinki

I am very impressed by the IQ of your bulbul images with the Canon 50sx.

At what focal length were these pics shot at and presumably hand held? And subject distance?

Oh thanks. The camera performs very nicely.

Details are here (clicking the photo on TV thread should take you to the flickr page): https://www.flickr.com/photos/pekkaoilinki/19036734482/

The lazy photographer shot was hand held, but sitting on the chair, 134mm on 1/2.3 sensor, so about 750mm on full frame sensor. Subject was 3-4 meters from me.

The second one 177mm, which equals closer to 900mm on full frame. Bird was maybe 6 meters from me. It's a bit fuzzy, but the look is fun.

Thanks Oilinki. You've have many superb images over at Flickr.

You've got me thinking of acquiring the 50SX.

And Chonburiram...your pic is possibly a Greater Adjutant Stork. Not 100% sure though.

• Like 1

Thanks. There is newer version SX60, with 60x optical zoom. Not sure how good it is, as I guess the owners who already have sx50, don't see a big enough change to switch to that camera. And not to forget Nikon P900 with 83x optical zoom. Goompa have one.

While the super zoom / bridge cameras do not have the IQ of the interchangeable lens cameras (*) and due smaller sensor, don't perform so well with low lightning.. these cameras are pure fun to use. The ability to frame a shot, even if the subject is in the distance, is great. Then there are other things, which come with a long lens. Ability to 'compress' 1km of street view to one image.

I have a Olympus m4/3 camera, which has better IQ, but still I take the SX50 for daily travels.

(*) Is there a better/easier/shorter term for non-compact/non-bridge cameras, including DSLR's and m4/3 etc. cameras?

Thanks. There is newer version SX60, with 60x optical zoom. Not sure how good it is, as I guess the owners who already have sx50, don't see a big enough change to switch to that camera. And not to forget Nikon P900 with 83x optical zoom. Goompa have one.

While the super zoom / bridge cameras do not have the IQ of the interchangeable lens cameras (*) and due smaller sensor, don't perform so well with low lightning.. these cameras are pure fun to use. The ability to frame a shot, even if the subject is in the distance, is great. Then there are other things, which come with a long lens. Ability to 'compress' 1km of street view to one image.

I have a Olympus m4/3 camera, which has better IQ, but still I take the SX50 for daily travels.

(*) Is there a better/easier/shorter term for non-compact/non-bridge cameras, including DSLR's and m4/3 etc. cameras?

I now have both the 50 and 60. The 60 has 16.1 meg pixels compared to the 50's 12.1 and the difference in the viewfinder is striking.

I can use the 50 hand held at any zoom but need the tripod for the 60.

The 60 is great in good light but not so good in poor light.

When I get into forests I am carrying the 60 on the tripod and the 50 round the neck, mostly using the 50 for closer shots, quick snaps behind me, shots at an upward angle that are almost impossible with the tripod, butterflies or scenic shots.

I am on my second 50 so am familiar with it and guess still learning to get the best out of the 60. Disappointed with some of the stuff but the good ones make up for it.

Top range cameras with long lenses will get much better results but from both a weight to carry around and the cost factor I will stick with the bridge.

• Like 1

Whilst on cameras - if you are in the market for a bridge camera - I have always liked the look of the Panasonic FZ200. A 600mm reach at 2.8 is just the go for birds. If I wanted to supplement my canon 6D or 5D3 this is the one for me. The best camera is the one you have in your hand. I have a ton of gear but you just can't have it all handy. A bridge can never give you the quality, especially in low light of a full frame but they are soooo handy. Now I have talked myself into getting one.

• Like 1

I heard a constant 'screek, screek' sounds from outside. It was pitch black and I could not see anything. At some point moon gave a bit of lightning and I saw an shadow of an small owl

I took some photos with a flash. I could not focus to the bird on top for most of the times. I did not even saw the other owl until I loaded the photos to LR.

19076844030_220a6c2be5_b.jpg

Owls on front tree by Pekka Oilinki, on Flickr

For the past days I have been trying to take photos of the bird nest in the front of my home. Same tree as the above owls are sitting on.

Today I tried to take some videos as well. Not at all easy. Using 1200mm equivalent lens. The tree branch, where the nest is located is moving with a slightest wind.. and then there are the leafs, which constantly block the view. Not to mention that most of the feedings last only for 1 second. Argh! Taking videos of the birds is more frustrating than playing golf without skills.

18669299404_2801043db6_b.jpg

Hungry! by Pekka Oilinki, on Flickr

19468253358_718af3ac15_b.jpg

An unusually pale Zebra or Peaceful Dove. There are 28 species - Lekagul & Round - in Thailand, about 10% of the world species list. They make good subjects to study and photograph as they usually are found in groups and their size helps to get a good pic. They are always a much better looking bird when you really take a close look at them - many are really quite stunning animals.

We have 3 pairs living/visiting the grounds of the condo I work at. They have grown used to me and are easily approached slowly and quietly. I just sat down on the flowerbed wall and waited.... next plan is to get a photo of them when they go for a swim each evening in the pool overflow channel.

• Like 2