For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Took the picture of this good looking bird this morning and again didn't have the right lens in hand.

Started getting frustrated with the change of lens.

Anyway, had to crop the picture a lot to see what it looks like.

Can anybody identify what bird is it?

Many Thanks.

attachicon.gifDSC_1282.JPG

Lovely birds they are the Hoopoes.... used to see them a lot when I was a kid in Africa. Strangest place I have seen them was north of Vladivostok in the Russian Far East... that was a surprise.

Just a hand-held camera. This bird has lost all its feathers on its head but I was pleased to spot it in Chonburi province 2 days ago. I know what it is. Can you identify it from the blurry photo?

If not from the photo, than from the title?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1441963317.617682.jpg

Hadn't seen the name. Pretty easy call, though. I've only seen one and also in Chonburi.

^ Plain Prinia?

No, not too far off but neither bird 1 nor bird 2 are Prinias. I can make it easier by saying they are both warblers and are therefore winter visitors. Each is a different kind of warbler.

Both were photographed in Surin, but that doesn't mean much because during the winter migration I am fairly certain both can be present throughout Thailand.

Both have similarly streaked looking upper parts but the habitat in both pics gives away which is which.

• Like 1

Warblers, too many to choose from, which ones?

Locustella... but that pretty much gives up the ID game. Bird 1 is a Lanceolated and bird 2 is a Pallas's Grasshopper (Rusty-rumped). Not so hard to locate by call but incredibly hard to see much less get a snap of.

AjarnNorth, didn't have any problem seeing the bird above or taking a picture of itthumbsup.gif

Locustella... but that pretty much gives up the ID game. Bird 1 is a Lanceolated and bird 2 is a Pallas's Grasshopper (Rusty-rumped). Not so hard to locate by call but incredibly hard to see much less get a snap of.

AjarnNorth, didn't have any problem seeing the bird above or taking a picture of itthumbsup.gif

TP1, yours is an Emu, right?

AjarnNorth, your Warblers were waaay too hard to ID...

• Like 1

TP1, yours is an Emu, right?

AjarnNorth, your Warblers were waaay too hard to ID...

Leaf warblers, waders and accipters...tough nuts for me! sad.png

• Like 2

OK, yes, the warblers are always hard. Of course if you hear calls that makes it easier, but just the jpegs are hard. Here is an easy one for anyone with a keen eye and a decent book. This bird was also photographed in Surin back in 2011. Not a bird you would expect to see there and one of only three confirmed sightings in all of Isaan that I know of, though there may be more. It's the only time I have seen one. It stayed a few days and then was off. The nice thing about this species is you can get very close. They don't scare easy.

Red Necked Phalarope????

Yes, tefldon. Red-necked Phalarope.

• Like 1