For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Hi Tetefldon

Was quite close probably about 4 or 5 m. spotted it when I was going past on the bike and snuck up and poked the camera over the top of the wall.

Seems the Javan and Chinese are difficult to tell apart unless in breeding colors

Here is one of a Chinese I got in Sanklaburi, not a good pix, was going past in a boat at the time and just had to take a snap at it.

attachicon.gifchinese pond heron sanklaburii.JPG

Didn't realise they looked so similar. Thanks.

Hi again Tetefldon.

Farther to the pond heron:

Two that were taken a couple of months back and are probably just coming into breeding colors.

The first was taken at Erawan National Park and is probably Chinese.

post-12069-0-69030200-1370531014_thumb.j

The second in Singburi, looks very like the first but I have only seen the Javan around here recently so I don't know.

post-12069-0-88499900-1370531188_thumb.j

Any comments on these and others I post are welcome because I am just a learner and some of the stuff I'm trying to take is stretching the capabilities both the gear and I.

Hi again Tetefldon.

Farther to the pond heron:

Two that were taken a couple of months back and are probably just coming into breeding colors.

The first was taken at Erawan National Park and is probably Chinese.

attachicon.gifpond heron erawan 1.JPG

The second in Singburi, looks very like the first but I have only seen the Javan around here recently so I don't know.

attachicon.gifpond heron singburi. 2 JPG.JPG

Any comments on these and others I post are welcome because I am just a learner and some of the stuff I'm trying to take is stretching the capabilities both the gear and I.

Always pleased to comment and offer advice if I think if I can help. Not sure I am that much help though, been birding here for 5 years or so and taking pics for much longer and I still class myself as a learner in both fields.smile.png

Yesterday this one flew down into a klong in front of me when I was riding my bike.

I could see by the flight that it was a bittern and it was nice enough to stay around fishing while I got some pix.

When I got home and had a good look it was different to any I had seen before and different to any in the books I have.

The colors and in particular the red at the base of the bill.

Aster a fair bit of searching I found a couple of pix on a site that called it a male yellow bittern in mating plumage.

post-12069-0-43586700-1371079273_thumb.j

post-12069-0-83268400-1371079308_thumb.j

• Like 2

Must be my week for bitterns.

Spotted this one on the other side of some fairly dense vegetation and had to try to poke the camera through some bushes.

A lot of trouble trying to keep all the leaves and branches out of the way with one hand and work the camera with the other.

So not that wonderful a photo.

Yellow Bittern, presumably female.

post-12069-0-68639100-1371337137_thumb.j

Oh yes, and I also got bitten by ants, but that's spelt different.

• Like 1

I'm still experimenting with my new Canon SX 50 and its big telephoto capabilities. This bald eagle was sitting in a tall tree beside a lake that I was on in a boat. I couldn't use a tripod or a timer, so I had to use TV (shutter priority) and hope for the best. The little California quail was running around and wouldn't stop, and he wouldn't let me get too close. Again, I just fired away hand held and hoped for the best.

post-168760-0-86846100-1371366656_thumb.

post-168760-0-15662300-1371366685_thumb.

Nest leaving time.

Some species of chicks get very fat, seems the parents feed them up then leave them to fend for themselves

This young cormorant stood is the same place a couple of meters from a nest for 3 days before disappearing.

Assume it is a little cormorant but possibly not as I didn't see the parents.

post-12069-0-01882500-1372578789_thumb.j

• Like 1