For The Birds !

samuijimmy

Unlucky one.

Why has it ended up here....can't sing nor handsome.

I hate this whole caged-bird business. I work opposite a Pagoda where they are keeping all these birds in cages for people to release to "make merit". Most of these birds will never survive the ordeal; if exhaustion doesn't do them in; the very big resident Shikra population will hammer them. I believe there is at least one Cambodian record that was only ever seen caged (a Bunting if I am not mistaken).

Unlucky one.

I hate this whole caged-bird business. I work opposite a Pagoda where they are keeping all these birds in cages for people to release to "make merit". Most of these birds will never survive the ordeal; if exhaustion doesn't do them in; the very big resident Shikra population will hammer them. I believe there is at least one Cambodian record that was only ever seen caged (a Bunting if I am not mistaken).

This particular individual was from the carpark area fronting the Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi. I did ask for the owner hoping I could buy its freedom but owner was nowhere to be found.

Bad luck for bird. Btw, I refused to pay the extortionate ticket price for entry to the temple and glad I did when I learnt more about the place.

Another time I visited an aquarium (can't remember where now) and outside the premises was a similar 'merit making' set up where one buys tiny fish in a plastic bag for 20 Baht. I am then to release the fish into a lake via a chute. Silly me bought a bag and as I poured the contents down the chute, I was horrified by the sight of a school of largish fish at the bottom of the chute snapping up every single fish. All gone in the blink of an eye! Ah well...I've learnt now.

Unlucky one.

This particular individual was from the carpark area fronting the Tiger temple in Kanchanaburi. I did ask for the owner hoping I could buy its freedom but owner was nowhere to be found.

Bad luck for bird. Btw, I refused to pay the extortionate ticket price for entry to the temple and glad I did when I learnt more about the place.

Another time I visited an aquarium (can't remember where now) and outside the premises was a similar 'merit making' set up where one buys tiny fish in a plastic bag for 20 Baht. I am then to release the fish into a lake via a chute. Silly me bought a bag and as I poured the contents down the chute, I was horrified by the sight of a school of largish fish at the bottom of the chute snapping up every single fish. All gone in the blink of an eye! Ah well...I've learnt now.

Jack, even if you are tempted: don't buy the birds. If people stop buying, the practice will stop. I did actually see a sign in Chiang Mai last week that discouraged people from buying birds in Thai, English, and Chinese.

Unlucky one.

yep... it happens to most species unfortunately. This one is in a neighbour's garden & regarded as a pet or symbol of luck, or something... (he doesn't sing here - can you blame him?)

9950003815_79f4080691_z.jpg

Asian Koel - trapped

i much prefer them where they should be & where they sing beautifully, at least to me they do... smile.png

9950019155_b46242b872_z.jpg

Asian Koel - free!

• Like 1

The koels are about the noisiest birds around but lately they all seem to have lost their voices and only just this evening I saw a lone and wet female perched in a bamboo grove. Wonder where the rest have gone to.

That caged koel in your pic has fresh wounds around the base of its beak indicating he is still trying to get out. Poor thing.

That caged koel in your pic has fresh wounds around the base of its beak indicating he is still trying to get out. Poor thing.

yes.. he flits around in his fairly large cage, but i hate to see him in there. This family are friends of the mrs, so it's hard for me to intervene. They also have a history of caging wild birds... previously including a gorgeous Black-naped Oriole. Oh well...

I believe there is at least one Cambodian record that was only ever seen caged (a Bunting if I am not mistaken).

pretty sure it was caged birds first appearing in local Burmese markets back in the 80's that led to the rediscovery of Gurney's Pitta (a bird presumed extinct since the 50's for readers here not aware) well before they were found again in Thailand.

The koels are about the noisiest birds around but lately they all seem to have lost their voices and only just this evening I saw a lone and wet female perched in a bamboo grove. Wonder where the rest have gone to.

Not breeding season I guess. Why anyone would keep a Koel as a caged bird beats me; the neighbors hate it. Near a hotel I sometimes stay in when in HCMC someone is keeping a Chinese Francolin; it can be heard even over the very noisy HCMC traffic. If I was a neighbor, I'd probably end up strangling both bird and owner.

sigh... seen quite a few species caged over the years, this one is in a local Temple. I was told that it had flown here by itself, was sick, and they were just taking care til it got better...

yes.. that is a Great Barbet in there. sad.png

do i believe the sick visitor story? of course i do...! i also believe in the tooth fairy. rolleyes.gif(i fear it was sold on for quite a tidy sum)

I have seen Vietnamese endemics in Da Lat but the most shocking was in Mandalay where I saw Night-herons, Egrets and Barn Owls crammed in tiny cages. When I asked my Myanmar friend how this reconciles with Buddhism she replied that the vendors were all Muslim (but she failed to continue to say that the buyers were all Buddhist).

Not breeding season I guess. Why anyone would keep a Koel as a caged bird beats me; the neighbors hate it. Near a hotel I sometimes stay in when in HCMC someone is keeping a Chinese Francolin; it can be heard even over the very noisy HCMC traffic. If I was a neighbor, I'd probably end up strangling both bird and owner.

Like this one:

I think it ended up in a pot.

post-128422-0-36433700-1380253449_thumb.

I have Robson's guide opened up in front of me but can't decide whether it is:

1) Juvenile Chinese Sparrowhawk

2) Juvenile Besra

3) Juvenile Japanese sparrowhawk.

Or none of the above.

Thanks in advance.

post-128422-0-09094400-1380777624_thumb.

post-128422-0-03831800-1380777637_thumb.

2) Juvenile Besra

Or none of the above.

Thanks in advance.

Actually the head makes me think Oriental Honeybuzzard but I could be well off the mark; raptors are not my forte.

Not sure myself but this looks like an accipiter.

The 4 bands in the tail should help. That is how I arrived

at the 3 possible IDs in my first post. But then again I suck with raptors too.

Thanks Hanno.

2) Juvenile Besra

Or none of the above.

Thanks in advance.

number 3 - Japanese Sparrowhawk (juv) thumbsup.gif

Great thread here and thanks to all! I am still waiting to see a bird we have lately that has the most beautiful and diverse songs. Its wings and tail slope down, top coat style like a Laughing Thrush, but the colors are different. A greyish bird, it has a white slash along its eyes and no hood. They are very active in the early morning and in the evening, and cavort deep in the trees as a group. Have not gotten even close to getting a photograph of this elusive critter, but I am sure someone will post a photo eventually so will keep watching.

Great thread here and thanks to all! I am still waiting to see a bird we have lately that has the most beautiful and diverse songs. Its wings and tail slope down, top coat style like a Laughing Thrush, but the colors are different. A greyish bird, it has a white slash along its eyes and no hood. They are very active in the early morning and in the evening, and cavort deep in the trees as a group. Have not gotten even close to getting a photograph of this elusive critter, but I am sure someone will post a photo eventually so will keep watching.

What size, T_Dog? And all grey?

Slightly larger than a Drongo. Have not gotten a good look at them as they are always deep in the trees. The only time I see them is when they fly to a new tree. Their songs change constantly and they were very vocal earlier in the year.

Slightly larger than a Drongo. Have not gotten a good look at them as they are always deep in the trees. The only time I see them is when they fly to a new tree. Their songs change constantly and they were very vocal earlier in the year.

Hmm. My first thought was Cuckooshrike or Treepie, but neither one has an eyebrow....... Let me think. A photo would be great. Are they high up in the trees? Do they play "follow thy leader"?