For The Birds !

samuijimmy

It was taken down at Thali (e) Noi Lake (conservation area) in northern Songhkla ....one has to rent a long tail to go around!

A great place for bird watchers, especially in January...when thousands of migratory birds "stop off" .... but other times of year is good too, but not so many!

April usually best time for waterlilies in bloom, but not this year for some reason .... sad.png

IMG_9029.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG

They have rooms for sleeping here! Not sure if all dorm style or single rooms... (I stay with friends in the area!)

IMG_8961.JPG

Thanks Rob. Black kite then. Can't remember where I took those pics. Probably somewhere near my

village in Isaan. I was looking through my archives and rediscovered these.

I have heard and read about Thale Noi but yet to visit. It's a very long drive from Isaan.

I think the migratory season is just about to begin too.

A couple more from my hard disk (Khao Yai):

post-128422-0-97947200-1377404675_thumb.

post-128422-0-94691000-1377404719_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks Rob. Black kite then. Can't remember where I took those pics. Probably somewhere near my

village in Isaan. I was looking through my archives and rediscovered these.

I have heard and read about Thale Noi but yet to visit. It's a very long drive from Isaan.

I think the migratory season is just about to begin too.

A couple more from my hard disk (Khao Yai):

"

"I have heard and read about Thale Noi but yet to visit. It's a very long drive from Isaan.

I think the migratory season is just about to begin too. "

As said, January best for the birds at Thali Noi, November and December would be rainy season, so a time to avoid!

But there are other parks and attractions in the region, so worth planing sometime! There always seems to be birds but not as many at other times! wink.png

Yes a long drive, same me wanting to head north...facepalm.gif .... one day I hope !

Great images BTW! Nice to see a "new face" around here! thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Please don't take my word for it I'm only just finding my way around these Thai birds.

There are more possibilities and as Black Kites are pretty uncommon according to the book I have, it may well be something else.

Another possibility is Black eagle or a young Brahminy Kite even.

The size and where they were seen makes a difference.

A couple of good sites for bird ID are : http://orientalbirdimages.org/ and

http://www.pbase.com/peterericsson/birds_of_thailand

• Like 1

Please don't take my word for it I'm only just finding my way around these Thai birds.

There are more possibilities and as Black Kites are pretty uncommon according to the book I have, it may well be something else.

jack2964's bird is neither a kite or an eagle.. it's an accipiter (Sparrowhawks & Goshawks) and on this one i'm 90% leaning toward juvenile Shikra, although the number of bars on this ones tail is problematic... as they don't normally have that many. Other accipiter species around the world do though....

sure you photo'd this bird in Thailand jack?

jack2964's bird is neither a kite or an eagle.. it's an accipiter (Sparrowhawks & Goshawks) and on this one i'm 90% leaning toward juvenile Shikra, although the number of bars on this ones tail is problematic... as they don't normally have that many. Other accipiter species around the world do though....

Was the bars on the tail that made me go for black kite.

Agreed, the jizz is all accipiter but the tail does bother me as everything else does indeed look like a Shikra

Sorry folks....it's been sitting inside my hard disk for so long I've totally forgotten about it but I've just looked at the exif although there is no geotag.

Going by the date taken it was while I was in Oz in Jan 2011.

Sorry folks....it's been sitting inside my hard disk for so long I've totally forgotten about it but I've just looked at the exif although there is no geotag.

Going by the date taken it was while I was in Oz in Jan 2011.

Hmm, doesn't fit any Oz raptor that I know.

On second thought this could well be a juvenile Brown Goshawk.

Edited by hanno

........sure you photo'd this bird in Thailand jack?

I recall now this was taken at a local park in SW Sydney

There you go... location is key (especially on a Thai forum wink.png ) to i.d. I had a strong feeling you didn't snap this raptor within the Kingdom.

Australia immediately points me to immature Brown Goshawk.

You guys really know your birds! Good work.

I got a tick out of it too.

My apologies for posting a foreign specie.

I have 2 more from the same folder which I can't ID but I guess

I shouldn't post them here.

oh screw 'the rules' this time.... show the pics dude.. I'm up for another challenge. (but at least, give the continent you're on ..smile.png )

Bring it on. I do not know my Oz birds as well as my SE Asian birds; but nothing like a bit of a challenge.

Ok then, here are 3 pics; 1st looks like some cuckoo that is all I know. Probably juvenile too.

This was taken at the RNP Sydney along Lady Carrington Drive (where you can't drive)

2nd and 3rd should be easy as they were taken from a suburban backyard so it's a garden bird.

It was observed feasting on a palm like tree that has this red cherry like fruit.

Ta!

post-128422-0-18566300-1377699007_thumb.

post-128422-0-52560400-1377699025_thumb.

post-128422-0-55033700-1377699044_thumb.

good pics... it's a juvenile Yellow Bittern.

Thanks Goshawk

Thought it might be a great because I got photos of 3 other yellow bitterns at the same time and that bird was farther away and looked considerably bigger

The other 3 :

post-12069-0-39162500-1377734716_thumb.j

post-12069-0-93691600-1377734773_thumb.j

post-12069-0-03837600-1377734879_thumb.j

^ second thoughts.... the other one is a female Australasian Figbird.

Thanks Goshawk. Got a tick out of the Fantail cuckoo.

Now here are some shots from my own backyard in Isaan of a

hovering warbler-the kind that all look alike. My guess is 2-barred.

Taken Jan 2011.

What do you think?

post-128422-0-45247200-1377752079_thumb.

post-128422-0-57396500-1377752092_thumb.

post-128422-0-58652600-1377752104_thumb.

post-128422-0-86621900-1377752113_thumb.

post-128422-0-84762400-1377752121_thumb.

• Like 1

What do you think?

yes.. two-barred looks favourite, like a Yellow-browed but with a longer bill... your pics clearly show that element.

With this phyllosc type warblers I wonder how you guys pick the differences especially in the field.

I have a tough enough time trying to ID them with captured images on a monitor. I usually toss them into the

too hard basket.

Anyway, here is another tough one for me...I have a large niltava (f) taken from Malaysia.(1st pic)

For comparison-a few shots of a yet another female which I hope is a small niltava from Doi Angkang so I can earn a tick.

post-128422-0-22385500-1377847970_thumb.

post-128422-0-20526600-1377848013_thumb.

post-128422-0-01572000-1377848033_thumb.

post-128422-0-95937000-1377848042_thumb.

....yet another female which I hope is a small niltava from Doi Angkang so I can earn a tick.

on the 1st pic.. did you notice the white gorget on the breast? This, along with the very brown wings & tail plus the general olive tinge to the upperparts, identifies the bird as a female Rufous-bellied Niltava.

You mean to say the 1st of the 3 pics of my mistaken ID of small niltava?

In any case, I am glad it is still a tick for me.

I have C.Robson's guide and quite obvious it didn't help me-not the first nor the last time though.

Did I get the very first pic ID correct? (large niltava). Thanks Goshawk.

I know this isn't really the right sub-forum for me to upload these images specifically asking for ID help.

So mod/s please let me know if it is OK to continue.

Thanks