No More Benzene?

cloudhopper

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is Gasohol the answer to why the price has dropped on what I always have known as 91 on two Esso stations in Town the last week. Filled up yesterday and price was 35 Thb a liter!

Esso have only supplied gasohol for at least the last 2 years. Not sure what you bought before rolleyes.gif

Don't think so. I was buying 91 benzine from Esso less than three months ago.

Me too. From the ESSO at Bypass road and Bangkok/Chao Faah road, 91.

Shell stopped about 2 years ago, methinks.

Edited by noob7

Shell ceased selling benzine 95 about 2 years ago. That was the only place (except Susco) that supplied the 95. So I had to change to benzine 91. Never found it at Esso or Caltex. Might be they brought it back in due to popular demand (all the older bikes). By that time I only stopped at PTT gas stations. Guess now I'm have to take trip out to Susco every couple of weeks, unless anyone knows anywhere else selling 100% gasoline/petrol/benzine.

Shell ceased selling benzine 95 about 2 years ago. That was the only place (except Susco) that supplied the 95. So I had to change to benzine 91. Never found it at Esso or Caltex. Might be they brought it back in due to popular demand (all the older bikes). By that time I only stopped at PTT gas stations. Guess now I'm have to take trip out to Susco every couple of weeks, unless anyone knows anywhere else selling 100% gasoline/petrol/benzine.

There must be regional differences then because in Chiang Mai Shell was the only place I could buy 95 for my ultralight. Just topped up the dinghy jugs with 91 at the Yacht haven marina (PTT) and the attendant said when this tank was empty the next load would be gasohol. The OB repair guy is looking forward to it.... I guess it will have to be 95 humped from Susco or Langkawi for OB benzene from soon on.

So is Gasohol the answer to why the price has dropped on what I always have known as 91 on two Esso stations in Town the last week. Filled up yesterday and price was 35 Thb a liter!

Esso have only supplied gasohol for at least the last 2 years. Not sure what you bought before rolleyes.gif

Both my better half and I always fill at Esso and have since Shell cutted 91 thought that we got the right stuff! None of use know the details about 91 or 95 we just follow the instruction books for the motorbikes and the car (Jazz).

But if like you say why the price drop? I mean from 44 Thb some weeks ago to 35Thb a liter end last week and the same this week. Have the Government decided one more rebate program to supply the first time car buyers!rolleyes.gif

Both my better half and I always fill at Esso and have since Shell cutted 91 thought that we got the right stuff! None of use know the details about 91 or 95 we just follow the instruction books for the motorbikes and the car (Jazz).

But if like you say why the price drop? I mean from 44 Thb some weeks ago to 35Thb a liter end last week and the same this week. Have the Government decided one more rebate program to supply the first time car buyers!rolleyes.gif

The previous price of 44 was for benzene, now it is 35 for gasahol.

Exactly correct Val. It's now becoming so obvious that many folk's have unwittingly been buying gasohol, thinking that it was 100% gasoline. Forget asking the pump guys n gals, they just want to pull the pump trigger and not answer perky questions that they don't have the knowledge to answer.

Exactly correct Val. It's now becoming so obvious that many folk's have unwittingly been buying gasohol, thinking that it was 100% gasoline. Forget asking the pump guys n gals, they just want to pull the pump trigger and not answer perky questions that they don't have the knowledge to answer.

So do we damage the engine on the vehicles with this Gasohol when the instruction books says 91 Octane or are a relative new car ( 3 year) and one 6 and one 10 year old Honda Wave made for the Gasohol mix?

So do we damage the engine on the vehicles with this Gasohol when the instruction books says 91 Octane or are a relative new car ( 3 year) and one 6 and one 10 year old Honda Wave made for the Gasohol mix?

Drivers of high performance cars in particular were advised not to use gasohol a long while back due to the damage especially to fuel lines.

Now it appears there is no choice. The pump price is lower (though for how long?) but in the long run the price your car pays will be higher.

Drivers of high performance cars in particular were advised not to use gasohol a long while back due to the damage especially to fuel lines.

Now it appears there is no choice. The pump price is lower (though for how long?) but in the long run the price your car pays will be higher.

High performance engines require 95 octane of 100% gasoline/petrol. Lower octane can cause engine damage.

Problem with the gasohol mix is the potential damage to fuel line seals and hoses.

High performance engines require 95 octane of 100% gasoline/petrol. Lower octane can cause engine damage.

Problem with the gasohol mix is the potential damage to fuel line seals and hoses.

Yes particularly incompatible hoses being taken into solution and a gummy residue blocking carbs/injectors. I believe most modern vehicles are built with this in mind tho, so for the majority of people it shouldn't be a problem right?

Yes particularly incompatible hoses being taken into solution and a gummy residue blocking carbs/injectors. I believe most modern vehicles are built with this in mind tho, so for the majority of people it shouldn't be a problem right?

Hmmmm - plenty of 5 year + vehicles in use, and that might be the majority. I have no doubt this will be a problem for plenty of folks.

Hmmmm - plenty of 5 year + vehicles in use, and that might be the majority. I have no doubt this will be a problem for plenty of folks.

Not to mention all the weed whackers, pumps and other small gasoline-driven equipment widely used all over the country.

It's amazing that I haven't had one problem with my Nissan NV that's a 1996. It says right on the gas cap door, 95 octane unleaded fuel only. But I did have all the belts and hoses replaced a few years ago. My 1997 2 stroke Honda Smile did get some gunk in the carb, but it's had it's fuel lines replaced and carburetor rebuilt, runs fine. Then my 1998 Honda Wave 100, never has had a problem. Just change the oil every few months, brakes, tires, sprockets and chain every 30 K or there about...

Edit: Amazing spell check, it tuned carb, into card.

Edited by Jimi007

Well - I was on low today and had to take on fuel. Opted for PTT's 95 gasohol. Not sure how that will work. A few years ago the main dealer for my car made it very very clear I MUST use 95 gasline/benzine.

I have been reading about this here in Thailand for over two years. Maybe I've just been lucky so far? I remember when they discontinued leaded fuel in the USA as well. My 1969 VW's were doomed. Nope, still work... Although when I rebuilt the engines, I did use octane booster for a while to season the valves.

So...........have we sorted out just what this yellow labeled stuff is in Chalong PTT?

Some people are saying that at 46 Bt a litre, it has to be pure benzine.

Other posters are mourning the passing of pure benzine.

What is the yellow stuff?

I expect to call into PTT Chalong early tomorrow. i will check out that 'yellow' stuff.

So...........have we sorted out just what this yellow labeled stuff is in Chalong PTT?

I expect to call into PTT Chalong early tomorrow. i will check out that 'yellow' stuff.

Please.

Please.

I remember when 91 was red. It turned to yellow about three years ago. But now, who knows what they are selling. http://www.gizmag.com/thailand-begins-colouring-petrol-and-diesel/14011/

When I left Phuket to go to work in mid-December, Chalong PTT 91 was still red.

I used to bring several 2 liter jugs all the time at Shell Chalong and it was red. Then yellow. So, it is very confusing. I just know that they don't have 95 gasoline anymore and haven't had for over two years anywhere I've gone. I usually fill my bikes up at Lemon Green. I also see the people selling 91 in Som Sang bottles. It's yellow... But when I've asked for the past two years no one will tell me if it's 10% ethanol or not. So, I must assume it is.

Shell haven't had 91 benzine for at least five years now.

The 91 in bottles is yellow, but two years ago it was red. They changed the colour.

I know they changed the color. I posted a link three posts above about it. Shell had 95 and 91gasoline 3 years ago. Esso had it two years ago. Now I hear Susso is the only one that has it.

Please.

The yellow pump is super & all the Thais are putting this in their motorbikes.

Please.

The yellow pump is super & all the Thais are putting this in their motorbikes.

Yes. The yellow is 95 benzine/petrol/gas. Not gasohol. It replaces benzine 91. The government could not lose face by admitting a mistake so they have re-introduced 95 standard instead :D:D

• Like 1

There is a lot of myths about ethanol.

E85 will be bad for benzine cars but a small blend of 10 to 20% won't really make a difference to the engines performance and won't corrode rubbers or aluminum. Too diluted.

I been running E10 (Shell V power 95) since Shell dropped benzine and haven't seen an adverse affect on the car.

Its the pure ethanol that corrode things in and around the engine.