No More Benzene?

cloudhopper

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of the reasons we bought a diesel vehicle, the fuel is cheaper and will always be available and you get better mileage

You're right of course about the fuel being cheaper and will be perennially available. Unfortunately, with the exception of large SUV's and pick ups, I don't think that there is a single model of diesel engined car produced in Thailand (unless looking at premium products such as the BMW 320d/Mercedes C220Cdi etc).

Certainly in the European market, diesel powered cars often have more hp and certainly more fuel efficiency that their petrol equivalents. Unfortunately, some countries (the UK as an example) have made diesel the most expensive fuel, in spite of it being the cheapest to produce.

That's one of the reasons we bought a diesel vehicle, the fuel is cheaper and will always be available and you get better mileage

You're right of course about the fuel being cheaper and will be perennially available. Unfortunately, with the exception of large SUV's and pick ups, I don't think that there is a single model of diesel engined car produced in Thailand (unless looking at premium products such as the BMW 320d/Mercedes C220Cdi etc).

Certainly in the European market, diesel powered cars often have more hp and certainly more fuel efficiency that their petrol equivalents. Unfortunately, some countries (the UK as an example) have made diesel the most expensive fuel, in spite of it being the cheapest to produce.

Same in Australia in the main city areas diesel is a lot more expensive than petrol

But in the country areas where all the heavy vehicles are used for transporting goods diesel is cheaper

Diesel will always be available here, about half the vehicles you see on the roads are pickups and the majority run on diesel

Also nearly everything is transported by road here in diesel powered trucks/Lorry's

According to this site, http://www.eppo.go.t...ail_prices.html 46/litre is indeed 95 unleaded gas/petrol/benzine and PTT and Susco has it, although Susco is marked up from the BKK price.

That's a great link (now that it works) for future reference. I checked out PTT Chalang and sure enough they have that yellow pump sign, which does seem to be real 95 gasoline. Never seen that pump colour in PTT Kata, but they have a lot less pumps. That will good enough for me biggrin.png as I pass PTT Chalong on a regular basis.

I run a 2 stroke outboard on my boat also, and at a recent service that I had done by the local Mercury dealer, I asked about the impact of non-availability of 91 gasoline. The Service Manager told me that 95 gasohol would be OK, but gasohol leads to the premature deterioration of rubber parts in the engine. Need to have inspections done more frequently I guess.

i wonder why he said to use 95. Hi octane only prevents preignition in hi compression engines and OB motors typically have very low compression ratios. Someone on the other thread mentioned that the premix oil was the main issue for gasohol. I know in aircraft the big concern is water vapor mixing with the alcohol and then condensing in the tank, in addition to the rubber issues.

A friend just sent me an excerpt from a US Yamaha OB manual that says E10 should be OK but a water separating filter between the fuel tank and motor is advised.

Besides that E10 can 'suck' more water, than normal Gasoline, this is only needed, in case he isn't driving the bike and parking it with only a quarter of a tank filled with fuel.

The amount of water in the fuel depends on the amount of air, that changes from outside into the tank. Is the tank full, not much air (humidity) changing to find in the tank.

And in case, he is parking the bike with E10: did they advice, to fill 2 stroke oil, 1:100, in the tank?

To stabilize the Ethanol/Gasoline mix? After a while will that be the bigger problem, for a parked vehicle:

Ethanol has a lot more 'rounds' (octane) , the Gasoline a lot less octane, than the mixed 95 (or 91) Gasohole

What would mean, you start the engine after a while, and you have only ethanol with about 110 octane to burn.

That's not so nice, for most engines!

• 4 months later...

According to this site, http://www.eppo.go.t...ail_prices.html 46/litre is indeed 95 unleaded gas/petrol/benzine and PTT and Susco has it, although Susco is marked up from the BKK price.

That's a great link (now that it works) for future reference. I checked out PTT Chalang and sure enough they have that yellow pump sign, which does seem to be real 95 gasoline. Never seen that pump colour in PTT Kata, but they have a lot less pumps. That will good enough for me biggrin.png as I pass PTT Chalong on a regular basis.

Gone now is the yellow pump at PTT Chalong.

Have been using the 95 Nitro gasohol from Shell, but bike seriously backfiring with compression.

Found the 95 Benzene at Caltex Kathu self serve yesterday and boy, does the bike run a whole lot better. Anyone currently buying the 95 Benzene anywhere in the Chalong area?

Have been using the 95 Nitro gasohol from Shell, but bike seriously backfiring with compression.

Found the 95 Benzene at Caltex Kathu self serve yesterday and boy, does the bike run a whole lot better. Anyone currently buying the 95 Benzene anywhere in the Chalong area?

What lead you to believe this? Total rubbish!!!

I have just got back from PTT Chao Fah West as I wanted to check your info.

Yellow label is still available and I asked if it was 95 100% benzine and they said it was.

Nothing has changed.

What lead you to believe this? Total rubbish!!!

I have just got back from PTT Chao Fah West as I wanted to check your info.

Yellow label is still available and I asked if it was 95 100% benzine and they said it was.

Nothing has changed.

O.K., out the door right now, back to you in 20 minutes with pictures

PTT Chalong, if headed toward Phuket town, right side just past Tesco Lotus mini center Chaofa west.

Signage, no yellow price, pump where my yellow 95 benzene used to reside with Leung there saying "no hab".

Back to my question as it seems KB and StevenL are still getting it at PTT on the Chaofa east, toward Central?

post-92090-0-86921300-1371713491_thumb.j

post-92090-0-78631300-1371713665_thumb.j

Yes, we were always talking about the Chaofa West Rd PTT just before Wat Chalong. You are getting your East and West mixed up GOM.

Or Chalong and Phuket Town. I didn't even think about the one on Chaofa East when mentioned PTT Chalong.