Going "all In" In Thailand........

theblether

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only go all-in when I play poker.

And no matter what games you're playing in life , never invest more than you can afford to lose.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

<snip> managing expectations <snip>

It's one of the keys for sure

Great concept ... rolleyes.gif

Someone else here said that if your relationship starts with a cash payment it will end with a cash payment. Wise words.

If you start by making extravagant promises, well.......you've made a Cat o' Nine Tails for your back, and a red hot poker for your bahookie.

Not good.....especially when it's self inflicted.

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man, spanning all the compiled knowledge of humankind. But I use it to look at pictures of cats and to get in arguments with strangers."

Quote of the day Sir. wai.gif

It's funny, my sister told me on skype last week that she asked her 10th grade History class back in Canada a question the before Xmas holidays, which went something like this: "If someone from the 1950s suddenly appeared today through a time portal, what would be the most difficult thing to explain to them about life today?" Every student in her class answered on a piece of paper, and the absolute best answer went something like this: "I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man, spanning all the compiled knowledge of humankind. But I use it to look at pictures of cats and to get in arguments with strangers."

That is a great reply and I couldn't help but have a big belly laugh. Yes indeed... looking at pictures and arguing with strangers.

• Like 1

"I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man, spanning all the compiled knowledge of humankind. But I use it to look at pictures of cats and to get in arguments with strangers."

Haha if I could only take credit theblether, but alas it came from a 16 year old smart alec back in Canada! But at least I can take credit for typing it lol, and on that note, G'night fellas!

Indeed

I never go 'all in' ... That would just not be.. 'clever'.

decided to come here and work as a teacher until I retire, after a while you take all the nice things for granted. I gave up even learning to speak Thai waste of time they won't speak to you in Thai and therses nothing intelligent to say because there language is too black and white. I'm on my own but not far from the beach live in one room but the other alternative is crappy UK London horrible weather/people/area no work.

So I chose the lesser of the two evils. If I could get a job back the uk I might be tempted but Jobs never last back in the uk, whats spoilt it here know is the Russians. If you saw a Western face you knew you could at least ask them 4 a light or even have a friendly chat.

They have put everyones back up here.

I bought a one way ticket around 10 years ago on my only travel single abroad,

i was not going to die freezing.

In hindsight, i should have kept open for a relocation to Cambodia the moment visa hassle increased a notch, and i think i'll do that when my commitment here finally end

I remember meeting a Brit in Cambodia in summer 2002 - isn't everyone a Brit around these parts? - anyway this was a frugal dude probably because he had to be but he knew how to do it - live as cheap as possible. He had a nice enough room for 150 or 200 bucks/month. He was 48 at the time and had lived in ?Thailand b4 that. He complained that Thailand had gotten outrageously expensive thus his move to Cambodia. At the time he was trying to figure out his next country to flee to. I wonder where he is now

Commiting and not going all in are not mutually exclusive , the one thing you won't be experiencing by not going all in is losing all your investment funds but only that part you commited. The term "all in" is actually a desperation move when playing poker after getting your asskicked for so long it's all you can do to stay in the game. Even when it works it pretty much just prolongs the agony of defeat. My point being that while in life it sometimes works out, the people who are going all in, life included , at the poker table are the people who are losing not the people who are winning.

It's imposible to lose all your money in Enron , Worldcom , ect ..... if you only have 10 percent invested.

Edited by MrRealDeal

There are no burnt bridges. The tax payers would love to take care of you should your Thailand adventure fail. Remember, we are all in this together and individual responsibility is a thing of the past.

I am amazed at this statement.. Is there a Dislike button you can use on this site??

You accept no responsibility for any of your individual actions????

Edited by ScotsExpat

Another point I would make is that 99 percent of the people in the world are "all in" no matter where they live , most people are tied financially to their house or rented trailor or whatever their stuation is , very few people can just walk out the door of where they are living and create a new life down the road without selling a certian amount of things to fund it. Because most people don't have enough in savings to accomplish that. So if your all in in Thailand it's not especially different than if you were living anyplace else except it's Thailand.

If you were to ask a person in ANY country if they were "all in" they would have to say yes. At least 98 percent of them anyhow. ...... The 2 percent dont really count ! lol

My defenition of "all in" is that you would need to sell some assets to move down the road, or get a new job, or wait to get your rental deposit back if in that income level. But pretty much everyone is all in because of employment , or housing , or lack of savings the world over.

I must fall into the 2% who don't really count...

All I have in my own name in my home country is a bank account (for wages) and credit card (to keep credit history going)..

All I ave here is a bank account (money transferred monthly from UK)..

I have been lucky enough to have traveled a fair bit on a feather bed package with my employer... I have a few years before I need to decide where I want to settle down and I use the position I am in like a 2-3 year test drive of a place..

I have to admit, after 8 months or so, that LOS has done nothing to make me think that this is a place I want to spend my time once I decide to settle down...

I was actually reffering to the top 2 percent of people in the world ! ..... but I was speaking in gereral of what situation most people find themselves in and meant to indicate the outliers are small compared to the norm.

I didn't mean you didn't count as a person , just meant the 2 percent of people outside the norm are just that outside the norm.

I was actually reffering to the top 2 percent of people in the world ! ..... but I was speaking in gereral of what situation most people find themselves in and meant to indicate the outliers are small compared to the norm.

I didn't mean you didn't count as a person , just meant the 2 percent of people outside the norm are just that outside the norm.

No need to apologise... It was probably the first reply you have made to one of my posts that I didn't get indignant about...whistling.gif

No need to renounce your citizenship, but I agree getting Thai Citizenship is really going all in. It really surprises me that more don't do it - buy land no visas etc.

It's cos you have to earn money in Thailand, and most of us come here after retirement with so much money, it's not worth our while grubbing around for three years to earn the paltry Thai wages.

As I'm given to understand you just have to file tax returns for 3 years and it doesn't really matter where the money comes from as long as it's legal, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Edited by Trembly

Indeed

I never go 'all in' ... That would just not be.. 'clever'.

Spent half my life on a search for nothin'

I came up with somethin'

And it's on again!

I found myself by the river and jumped in

it's all or nothin'

gotta be all in!

It's all or nothin' baby,

It's never, ever maybe;

You think I might be crazy

But I gotta be all in!

• Like 1

Poppycock.....I am not married and have such rights over my kids.

I hold the money Mr CMK......remember I'm Scottish. This Piper calls the tune. thumbsup.gif

Just to point out, if you don't marry her the child is not yours under Thai law, and you have absolutely no rights over the child at all.

Edited by Humbugged

No need to renounce your citizenship, but I agree getting Thai Citizenship is really going all in. It really surprises me that more don't do it - buy land no visas etc.

It's cos you have to earn money in Thailand, and most of us come here after retirement with so much money, it's not worth our while grubbing around for three years to earn the paltry Thai wages.

As I'm given to understand you just have to file tax returns for 3 years and it doesn't really matter where the money comes from as long as it's legal, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Sorry, money has to be earned and taxable in Thailand from a job with a work permit.

Unless you have legitimized the children with both the mother and child's (age 5+) consent at the Amphur office or in Thai family court, as an unmarried father you have no rights over any children in Thailand.

Thats not what you said in the first post....so my poppycock comment stands re that post.

Unless you have legitimized the children with both the mother and child's (age 5+) consent at the Amphur office or in Thai family court, as an unmarried father you have no rights over any children in Thailand.

Thats not what you said in the first post....so my poppycock comment stands re that post.

So if you want to take your children to another country and put them in school there but your girlfriend does not; who gets to decide?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Going "all In" In Thailand...... I've been attempting this for some time ... but what with the housing, visa, fairer sex and cultural issues, constantly being reminded that I'm outsider, I get the feeling that it's not to be.

This is a really insightful topic smile.png

Edited by metisdead
: Font

So if you want to take your children to another country and put them in school there but your girlfriend does not; who gets to decide?

Number One decides, you know that better than anyone. This all falls under the assumption that myself and my lady will be at daggers drawn though.

You'll find in reality that my lady would give me the child as that would be on the best interest of everyone. We are involved in a situation right now where a 6 year old child has lost her father, a Canadien that has died through natural causes. My lady has taken the child in and is trying to have the child taken to Canada and educated by the Canadian family.

The natural mother is on favour of that too, she is working full time hence why my lady has the child. Thais can be remarkably practical you know.

Anyway there's a limit as to how much I need to explain, this infantile "tourist" talk reflects badly on those that think it. I would rather be me, able to float around Thailand for 6 months of the year without one penny of capital invested in the country, than be on the positoon some of you guys are in.

• Like 1

Sorry, money has to be earned and taxable in Thailand from a job with a work permit.

My employer pays my Thai tax for me and I get a letter confirming so each year, Im told...

Would I therefore qualify if I were to stay 3 years?? Reason I ask is that a colleague has been here 3.5 years and wants to eventually stay, but work are moving him on.. Could he claim Thai citizenship now??