Blood Needed For Brit. Steve Donnely

sonthaya

From newsletter Phuket Gazette

Urgent call for A-negative blood

PHUKET: Anyone with the rare A-negative blood group is asked to report to Bangkok Hospital Phuket immediately to make a donation to save the life of British national Steve Donnelly, injured in a motorcycle accident in Patong two days ago.

He is in critical condition and on life support with 11 broken ribs, punctured lungs, two broken collar bones and other injuries.

A-negative blood is almost completely unknown among Thais.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

15:33 local time (GMT +7)

Steve's condition has stabilised somewhat, but will be undergoing another operation tomorrow, Friday.

Blood is still required; any donors please go straight to the ICU at Bangkok Hospital, Phuket.

Many thanks to all concerned.

I was in Bangkok Samui last June for pretty much identical injuries.

13 broken ribs

busted shoulder

busted hand

punctured lung

etc etc

Luckily I have a common blood type but even then the doctors were saying I had only a 20% chance of surviving. I'm now 95% recovered and wish nothing but the best for him.

If I had A- I'd be sitting at his bedside now! I know what the guy must be going through, good luck pal.

If he's in Bangkok Phuket, he'll be in good but expensive hands. Hope he has decent insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Steve is out of hospital as of 4 days ago and is staying with an extremely benevolant "Yorkshire"man. He's moving around fine, but is wearing a looped shoulder support. His chirpy spirits are back with quips such as he asked the doctor if he would be able to play the piano, "Yes" was the Doctor's answer to which he replied "That's great 'cos I couldn't before the accident!!"

The temptation is to say som nam naa drunk farang, but in this case he was the passenger and neither he nor the driver were drunk, the latter of whom has skipped the country.

He, Steve, has been hit with the medical costs, there are still contribution boxes around the bars in Patong, and I know that he is very, very grateful from all the support he has received.

Steve is out of hospital as of 4 days ago and is staying with an extremely benevolant "Yorkshire"man. He's moving around fine, but is wearing a looped shoulder support. His chirpy spirits are back with quips such as he asked the doctor if he would be able to play the piano, "Yes" was the Doctor's answer to which he replied "That's great 'cos I couldn't before the accident!!"

The temptation is to say som nam naa drunk farang, but in this case he was the passenger and neither he nor the driver were drunk, the latter of whom has skipped the country.

He, Steve, has been hit with the medical costs, there are still contribution boxes around the bars in Patong, and I know that he is very, very grateful from all the support he has received.

Patriot, thanks for that information and it's certainly good news that he is up and about. You lot over there in Phuket must be a hearty bunch of folk setting up collection boxes for him. Diddlydoo from the people on Samui for an accident that wasn't my fault either :D

What about his injuries? I had pretty much the same from what I can gather and today, 9 months after my accident I still have 9 broken ribs :D . I thought I had six, but following a check up x-ray on Monday it was confirmed that there are still 9 (out of 13 broken initially) that had still not joined together.

Pass on my best wishes and I hope he makes a full recovery soon and that his piano playing skills improve too. :D

Phuket 1 Samui 0

:o