Alternatives To Phuket ?!?

TS79

if we are talking outside Thailand, what about Burma?

As some may know on this forum, I relocated one year ago from my Phuket home/business to live and work in Yangon.

I made this move because I was very concerned about the future of Phuket, both as a place to do business and as a place to live. My businesses are near to the airport, so I certainly do not experience any major issues about traffic jams, tuk-tuks, muggings etc ..... yet!

Myanmar has a long (LONG) way to go before it's on a par with Thailand, but the internet works (slowly) and new mobile phone licences will soon be up for auction.

If I only talk about Myanmar, then this discussion really belongs in the Myanmar forum. If I compare it to Phuket (for living), then there currently is no comparison. Myanmar is a total 'dump', rated as one of the most unsanitary cities in Asia. (I have a cast iron stomach, but I always carry imodium tablets with me, as well as my emergency evacuation insurance card...)

Now if I was to do a comparison from the business viewpoint .... well that's different - and that's why I'm living here.

Simon

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we are talking outside Thailand, what about Burma?

As some may know on this forum, I relocated one year ago from my Phuket home/business to live and work in Yangon.

I made this move because I was very concerned about the future of Phuket, both as a place to do business and as a place to live. My businesses are near to the airport, so I certainly do not experience any major issues about traffic jams, tuk-tuks, muggings etc ..... yet!

Myanmar has a long (LONG) way to go before it's on a par with Thailand, but the internet works (slowly) and new mobile phone licences will soon be up for auction.

If I only talk about Myanmar, then this discussion really belongs in the Myanmar forum. If I compare it to Phuket (for living), then there currently is no comparison. Myanmar is a total 'dump', rated as one of the most unsanitary cities in Asia. (I have a cast iron stomach, but I always carry imodium tablets with me, as well as my emergency evacuation insurance card...)

Now if I was to do a comparison from the business viewpoint .... well that's different - and that's why I'm living here.

Simon

Simon

When the early bird catches the worm...of course there is going to be a little dirt on it...

I have bought beach land between Surat and NST because of the changes here over time. After living here since the early nineties I am toughly bored with the traffic, building and constant growth. I will keep a home here but intend spending more and more of my time on the beach. There is a small expat community where I am moving with more arriving, including jaded expats from Samui.

Beachfront land is still available, although not cheap (3.5-4.0 per rai) is affordable which is more than one can say about land around Phuket.

NST and Surat and even Sichon have English programs, so education seems good, I can't speak from experience as I have a high schooler in school in Phuket who will be finishing his education at his present school.

I would not suggest the OP reside on Kuta Beach, but on the outskirts, thus still being able to utilize all the things Bali provides, whilst being able to avoid the drunken tourists.

Substitute Patong for Kuta Beach, and Phuket for Bali. Same same but different...........

Very different. They have taxis in Bali. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Taxis or no taxis Bali is a dump. The traffic is mayhem, beaches are <deleted>, and it is a lot hotter than Phuket

......and you haven't experienced "persistence" until you've met the touts, beggars and souvenir sellers in Bali.

While on the beach in Bali recently...we had maybe 1 tout every 30 minutes and no hard sell or lingering, just a simple nice enquiry to buy.

In pattaya and phuket, it is 1 every god dam_n minute.

Proper sofa beds for rent in bali compared to the <deleted> here boxed in elbow space next to a stranger, compared to a lot of space in bali.

I saw rubbish bins on the beach in Bali.

I was never hassled by taxi mafia, I never saw 1 police scam checkpoint screwing money out of motorbikes with no helmets, especially the tourists.

I never saw any pseudo police fining tourists on the streets for dumping a cigarette butt or any other such minuscule amount of rubbish while shit lays everywhere alongside it.

Bali...based on a 3 week holiday there, is 10 times better than Phuket or Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand.

And guess what....only saw 2 beggars, girls with babies and they were very quiet in the background.

I don't believe you with regard to the touts. Been to Bali many times and they are far more aggressive than in Phuket.

Google about the Bali touts and there are dozens of hits with articles about how bad they are.

You seem to have an anti-Phuket agenda judging by a lot of your posts. What happened? Mistook a boy for a girl?

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

I don't believe you with regard to the touts. Been to Bali many times and they are far more aggressive than in Phuket.

Google about the Bali touts and there are dozens of hits with articles about how bad they are.

You seem to have an anti-Phuket agenda judging by a lot of your posts. What happened? Mistook a boy for a girl?

One thing that I don't like in relation to touts here is the restaurants that let the touts/street vendors inside the restaurant, especially when you are eating. Sometimes it's constant, not just the odd time when eating out. I can understand if your table is right on the footpath, and they stop to show you their goods, but on many occassions they go inside the restaurant, to every table.

I've been told, and I don't know if this is true, that some establishments must let them in, and some establishments are on a commission to let them in.

Believe it or not....it happened and is fact....Bali was a paradise and quite relaxing by comparison.

Refuse to believe it if you want, no matter me.

Not anti anything, it is just stating a fact that Phuket and pattaya are first class dumps....Phuket stands out because of its so called international status as a pristine environment to experience paradise...what a scam, a con, a joke....and if you fell for it, well you live and learn hey....but no need to go on trying to defend a losing battle.

• Like 1

One thing that I don't like in relation to touts here is the restaurants that let the touts/street vendors inside the restaurant, especially when you are eating. Sometimes it's constant, not just the odd time when eating out. I can understand if your table is right on the footpath, and they stop to show you their goods, but on many occassions they go inside the restaurant, to every table.

I've been told, and I don't know if this is true, that some establishments must let them in, and some establishments are on a commission to let them in.

i suspect you dont understand the meaning of the word tout.

the people you are complaining about are hawkers, touts are trying to get you into a bar, visit a time share, take a boat trip, stay at a hotel

• Like 1

What about food in indonesia? Id prefer to starve instead of eat that garbage. The beaches are that crap they make Pattaya look sensational. The coral has been raped. The tours are a rip off. I wont be going back to Indonesia any time soon

Believe it or not....it happened and is fact....Bali was a paradise and quite relaxing by comparison.

Refuse to believe it if you want, no matter me.

Not anti anything, it is just stating a fact that Phuket and pattaya are first class dumps....Phuket stands out because of its so called international status as a pristine environment to experience paradise...what a scam, a con, a joke....and if you fell for it, well you live and learn hey....but no need to go on trying to defend a losing battle.

Have you actually been around Phuket? Or are you confusing Phuket with Patong? Phuket is a province...

• Like 2

What about food in indonesia? Id prefer to starve instead of eat that garbage. The beaches are that crap they make Pattaya look sensational. The coral has been raped. The tours are a rip off. I wont be going back to Indonesia any time soon

Thats strange....I agree totally on the food...however, some decent dishes can be found but it is not by and large great food.

As for western food....I had the best pizza anywhere in asia there and for 1/3 less than it would be in Thailand.

I found the tours we did cheaper than thailand. We had a taxi for one trip that was half what it would have cost here at least.

have you experienced the swim with the dolphins in Pattaya ?? What a joke, so much so we did not indulge, for both the filthy conditions of the enclosure and the price. We did it in Bali and while not a 'seaworld'...the experience was outstanding....and cheaper.....much

i suspect you dont understand the meaning of the word tout.

the people you are complaining about are hawkers, touts are trying to get you into a bar, visit a time share, take a boat trip, stay at a hotel

I did state "tout/street vendor" but if you prefer "hawker" fine. Anyway, people trying to sell you "stuff" while you are eating a meal in a restaurant. smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by NamKangMan

Thats strange....I agree totally on the food...however, some decent dishes can be found but it is not by and large great food.

As for western food....I had the best pizza anywhere in asia there and for 1/3 less than it would be in Thailand.

I found the tours we did cheaper than thailand. We had a taxi for one trip that was half what it would have cost here at least.

have you experienced the swim with the dolphins in Pattaya ?? What a joke, so much so we did not indulge, for both the filthy conditions of the enclosure and the price. We did it in Bali and while not a 'seaworld'...the experience was outstanding....and cheaper.....much

I was so dissapointed by Bali, if thats the best indo has to offer then they are kidding themselves. The only thing I noticed was the beer was slightly cheaper. The traffic is out of control, the heat and flies is unbearable. The tourists there make Phuket and Pattaya tourists look like saints. Bali, no thanks!

I was so dissapointed by Bali, if thats the best indo has to offer then they are kidding themselves. The only thing I noticed was the beer was slightly cheaper. The traffic is out of control, the heat and flies is unbearable. The tourists there make Phuket and Pattaya tourists look like saints. Bali, no thanks!

Traffic is bad....but I found the experience on the road better than thailand. The reason the traffic is so bad is the roads are so narrow and the homes/villas/shops are built right up to the road...so nowhere to go.

Coming from Oz, the flies were almost non existant, but going there after living in Los for a long time, I noticed the flies, we dont have any here by comparison...but far from unbearable.

The heat....same same here.

I found the likeness between pattaya and bali tourists very much alike...only that so many more of them spoke english.

Bali is not all kuta....venture out and it is wonderful, we stayed in Seminyak and being there over xmas and new year, the busiest periods, we did not experience any crowds, beaches were fine and restaurants not full at all. Outer islands were very pleasant.

I could be wrong from just a 3 week holiday, but going there after 10 years in asia, you know what to expect and look out for. I had a great experience there, not 1 scam over and above what is expected, the touts etc selling shit for exorbitant prices...but if you know better, then will not have it over you. As an example, I was quoted 300000rupiahs for a tshirt....I got it for 40k which is about 120baht....I figured this still over priced for an inferior quality shirt to what available here, but the design was different etc.

I paid less in Bali for many things than here. Hotels and villas were more, but it was also xmas/new year. As an example, we used a private taxi for a trip, it was 2 hours there and 2 hours back, and he had to wait for circa 6 hours. That cost the equivelant of 900baht. here the week before a friend fluent in thai and long term expat, paid 3000b for a taxi to take him to my place from bkk which was 2.5hrs away.

Traffic is bad....but I found the experience on the road better than thailand. The reason the traffic is so bad is the roads are so narrow and the homes/villas/shops are built right up to the road...so nowhere to go.

Coming from Oz, the flies were almost non existant, but going there after living in Los for a long time, I noticed the flies, we dont have any here by comparison...but far from unbearable.

The heat....same same here.

I found the likeness between pattaya and bali tourists very much alike...only that so many more of them spoke english.

Bali is not all kuta....venture out and it is wonderful, we stayed in Seminyak and being there over xmas and new year, the busiest periods, we did not experience any crowds, beaches were fine and restaurants not full at all. Outer islands were very pleasant.

I could be wrong from just a 3 week holiday, but going there after 10 years in asia, you know what to expect and look out for. I had a great experience there, not 1 scam over and above what is expected, the touts etc selling shit for exorbitant prices...but if you know better, then will not have it over you. As an example, I was quoted 300000rupiahs for a tshirt....I got it for 40k which is about 120baht....I figured this still over priced for an inferior quality shirt to what available here, but the design was different etc.

I paid less in Bali for many things than here. Hotels and villas were more, but it was also xmas/new year. As an example, we used a private taxi for a trip, it was 2 hours there and 2 hours back, and he had to wait for circa 6 hours. That cost the equivelant of 900baht. here the week before a friend fluent in thai and long term expat, paid 3000b for a taxi to take him to my place from bkk which was 2.5hrs away.

I stayed in Seminyak too, the road experience was worse than Thailand and they drove on the wrong side of the road. . At least Phuket has a mountain range you can hide behind the heat Bali is a lot closer to the equator so therefore hotter...I mean what did you like about the shops and stuff there? It was absolute garbage, art shops and silver factories, coffee at the farms cost 4 times as much as the western world The temples were average, the people were nasty. I wish I never left the hotel. I paid $200 for 2 steaks at Ku De Tar which is an overpriced shytehole. It was full of Aussie women that looked like they were on rehearsals from neighbours. What a joke
  • Like 1

I stayed in Seminyak too, the road experience was worse than Thailand and they drove on the wrong side of the road. . At least Phuket has a mountain range you can hide behind the heat Bali is a lot closer to the equator so therefore hotter...I mean what did you like about the shops and stuff there? It was absolute garbage, art shops and silver factories, coffee at the farms cost 4 times as much as the western world The temples were average, the people were nasty. I wish I never left the hotel. I paid $200 for 2 steaks at Ku De Tar which is an overpriced shytehole. It was full of Aussie women that looked like they were on rehearsals from neighbours. What a joke

They drove on the proper side when I was there.

I found the temp the same and this is coming from los for 10 years and decades altogether in tropical climes.

The people I found great, more genuine than Thailand...even in the tourist areas.

Not one trumped up tosspot driving his over mortgaged mercedes about town.

The shops in tourist areas...yeah crap....but you have to get out...thats same same any tourist trap. T-shirts are in general of lower quality...yet again, get out of town and we got some quality ones.

Also if you are into artefacts or antique type stuff, there are some outstanding shops full of stuff to wander through all day...one area in particular was miles long and full of it.

Never went to a temple, did not go there for that, nor to drink coffee.

We went for the surfing and that was outstanding.

The aussie woman were very harsh...agreed.

If you paid $200 for a steak...then it does seem to show that you let it happen to you.

We ate foods we do not get in Los....we tried a lot of Indo food, some dishes were nice, others not so. The western food we sought out was good, especially pizzas. I loved their banana pancakes.

Also hotel laundry was excellent and far less than what same same hotels charge in los. I contemplated taking to to a nearby laundry service outside the hotel, then looked at the hotel pricelist and for a 40% saving, it was not worth it as the hotel price was excellent compared to here.

Also they have Villas to stay in and they are stunning, we stayed in a few, but one in particular was 2 bedroom, all facilities of a home and a pool right outside the bedroom and dining room...all for circa $100.....

Edited by Humbugged

I just noted it was a lot hotter, maybe less vegetation. Phuket has a lovely mixture of temperatures, you notice this when cruising through the jungles on your motorbike. Also the sea breezes around the Phuket beaches make it quite comfortable in my books. Bali was scorching last time I was there.

Maybe I am confused with the roads in Indonesia, they drive on the same side as Thailand?

Think the topic title should be changed to Pattaya/Phuket vs Bali.

Off-topic question but, any alternatives to Bali?

Sihanoukville - Cambodia has been coming up in different conversations lately. I haven't been there for years, and when I did go there, it wasn't much, but I hear it has come on a lot in recent years. A google reveals plenty of accommodation, restaurant s, bars with "adult entertainment" and even casinos there now.

Edited by NamKangMan