Alternatives To Phuket ?!?

TS79

It sound like you want to move to another place that will soon be another Phuket. I reckon the same problems will arise.

Unless you don't expect to live or be active much longer or you like to move house a lot, that maybe a be a choice. Otherwise you might as well stay.

I moved to the sticks with the idea that in 30 years I still won't be bothered with those problems.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sound like you want to move to another place that will soon be another Phuket. I reckon the same problems will arise.

Unless you don't expect to live or be active much longer or you like to move house a lot, that maybe a be a choice. Otherwise you might as well stay.

I moved to the sticks with the idea that in 30 years I still won't be bothered with those problems.

I don't think anyone wants to move away. It's probably more like they are being forced into moving away. Other places are now offering a better lifestyle, more value for money, improved infastructure, less scams and crime etc etc.

Phuket is quite unique for the fact that about a dozen Thai families own the majority of the land on the island and hold just about all of the wealth. They are in high political positions and Governemnt departments here. Consequently, their prefered method of business is collusion, and/or a monopoly. This island exists for one reason only - to make money for them, and with that attitude, the tourism industry is slowly dying here. Basically, too much power is held by to few.

A basic example is Phuket does not have any affordable public transport, yet in Pattaya, a similar tourist destination, in the same country, only 1000 kilometres away, there is the baht bus system.

Under this administration, Phuket may as well be a different country to Thailand.

Welcome to The Undemocratic Peoples Republic of Phuket.; :) :) :) :)

• Like 1

I don't think anyone wants to move away. It's probably more like they are being forced into moving away. Other places are now offering a better lifestyle, more value for money, improved infastructure, less scams and crime etc etc.

Phuket is quite unique for the fact that about a dozen Thai families own the majority of the land on the island and hold just about all of the wealth. They are in high political positions and Governemnt departments here. Consequently, their prefered method of business is collusion, and/or a monopoly. This island exists for one reason only - to make money for them, and with that attitude, the tourism industry is slowly dying here. Basically, too much power is held by to few.

A basic example is Phuket does not have any affordable public transport, yet in Pattaya, a similar tourist destination, in the same country, only 1000 kilometres away, there is the baht bus system.

Under this administration, Phuket may as well be a different country to Thailand.

Welcome to The Undemocratic Peoples Republic of Phuket.; smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

It's still a feudal fiefdom.

Welcome to The Undemocratic Peoples Republic of Phuket.; smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

It's still a feudal fiefdom.

Yes, I would agree that it's a feudal fiefdom and it's masquerading as a democracy. :)

• 4 months later...

Chumphon town has its advantages. Plenty of infrastructure without a huge nightlife following. Can still find 2-5 bedroom [shop]houses or detached homes for <5000 baht/mo. Beach in Pathio near Cabina resort is clean and the water level is low and calm for several meters, making it a good spot for kids to play without fear of drowning. Even during holidays (Song-ran excluded) the beach is only moderately populated.

There is a lot of construction going on around chumphon town and nearby towns; mostly housing developments and larger shops like the new HomePro. I suppose when 7-11 considers a new location, that is a sign that the foot/car traffic justifies the cost.

Ultimately there is a time and place for everything; it just depends on what you want. Often times the complainers in their existing condition cannot itemize what they want or don't want, plus resist exploring new options: A losing combination.

Edited by 4evermaat

We (my expat wife, two dogs and myself) still love Phuket but began yearning for something quieter with reasonable access to farrang stuff. We chose Khanom for the following reasons: 1. How can you beat a house right on a quiet beach for less than $200/month? 2. Small but hardy expat community and reasonable local western dining choices; 3. Delightfully easy 40 minute drive to Surat for Big C, Macro, Tesco, or any other supplies; 4. Easy 60 minute drive to Nakorn for Big C, Macro, Tesco, or any other supplies; 5. Local hospital in Khanom, good hospitals in Surat and Nakorn, and International hospital(s) on Samui; 6. We are good friends with a large, local Thai family (always nice to have fixers!).

We will be fully relocated by the middle of August. We found a number of suitable houses in different price ranges (up to about 20,000 b/m), but picked an 'entry level' one bedroom beach house near Jam Bay. Less than 6000 baht/month, city water, internet, unfurnished (we have plenty of furniture) and if it turns out we don't like it we can upgrade or move elsewhere...

post-30101-0-04585700-1370851303_thumb.j

post-30101-0-91666100-1370851480_thumb.j

post-30101-0-98430800-1370851614_thumb.j

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 1

We (my expat wife, two dogs and myself) still love Phuket but began yearning for something quieter with reasonable access to farrang stuff. We chose Khanom for the following reasons: 1. How can you beat a house right on a quiet beach for less than $200/month? 2. Small but hardy expat community and reasonable local western dining choices; 3. Delightfully easy 40 minute drive to Surat for Big C, Macro, Tesco, or any other supplies; 4. Easy 60 minute drive to Nakorn for Big C, Macro, Tesco, or any other supplies; 5. Local hospital in Khanom, good hospitals in Surat and Nakorn, and International hospital(s) on Samui; 6. We are good friends with a large, local Thai family (always nice to have fixers!).

We will be fully relocated by the middle of August. We found a number of suitable houses in different price ranges (up to about 20,000 b/m), but picked an 'entry level' one bedroom beach house near Jam Bay. Less than 6000 baht/month, city water, internet, unfurnished (we have plenty of furniture) and if it turns out we don't like it we can upgrade or move elsewhere...

How is the locals attitude to foreigners up there and is it reasonable safe regarding crime,burglary etc?

How is the locals attitude to foreigners up there and is it reasonable safe regarding crime,burglary etc?

You are an oddity in their everyday life, not a target. Unless you place one on yourself... People either ignore you or want to chat and show-off/practice their english. Like country-folk.

Phuket, 8.000-- bath per month. 5 min from beach, 5 FIVE min. from Tesco ! 10 min from Villa market.

Sounds to me Phuket is still better. Like your pics :-)

I do have to agree that the hua hin area is really a great place to settle down.but for me hua hin itself it's already to dirty and to much tourists are there.one of the best places in this area is IMHO paknampran .endless beaches, beautiful national parks,not over crowded,a few good restaurants,great seafood( for Thailand), decent expat community (50+),good value for money in matter of renting / buying a house,next tesco about 15 km and to hua hin about 30 km just not much of nightlife but I am anyway not interested in....and there is one other place where I am living now.for me just exactly what I was looking for.same distance to hua hin but north of it....

Phuket, 8.000-- bath per month. 5 min from beach, 5 FIVE min. from Tesco ! 10 min from Villa market.

Not everyone have a helicopter as transportation on Phuket smile.png

Not everyone have a helicopter as transportation on Phuket smile.png

Don't need that, the price and transportation times from Rawai are realistic (except Villa Market in rush hour).

No problems there with nasty sandflies? Normaly Chumpon and Khanom beaches are full with them.......

No problems there with nasty sandflies? Normaly Chumpon and Khanom beaches are full with them.......

I never ran into the sandflies. I heard about them before I came from someone else on the forum, but never had the experience with them during daytime conditions. Not sure if it is only during a certain time of the day or something. I've seen a few locals stay until past dark on a few occasions around a fire. None of the locals seem to mind or warn about it. I'm guessing the human contact may have eliminated them or moved the sandflies to less touched parts of the beach?

Now mosquitos come out now and again, particularly at night. But just about everywhere in thailand has that problem in some form or another.....much easier fix though.

Same as 4evermaat. Not seen or been bothered by any insects on the beach day or night.

To clarify there is a mini Tesco in Khanom, less than five minutes away. If y'all read my OP I was referring to Big C, Markro, and Tesco... I figured you would have understood I meant a full scale Tesco (which you cannot get to from Rawai, Kata/Karon, Patong etc in 5 mins!).

Also in terms of real estate "5 minutes from the beach" and "beachfront" are worlds apart... Find me a 8000b/m house ON THE BEACH in Phuket!

• Like 1

• 5 years later...