Cars Bring Bangkok To Standstill

webfact

For me I am utterly convinced that once a Thai's gets behind the wheel of a car, they CEASE to be Buddhists. The more expensive the care, the worse they get. They would rather hit the old lady selling noodles than let her cross the road.They would rather Hit a child trying to cross the road at school times. Same same with Bikes

Poor Thailand

You have to remember the (unwritten?) Thai road rules:

1. The bigger the vehicle, the more right-of-way it has. Always. Regardless of any other circumstances.

2. Pedstrians do not have a vehicle. Refer to Rule #1.

3. Bicyclists also do not have a vehicle and are the same as pedestrians. Refer to Rules 1 and 2.

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really haven't noticed any difference. Maybe it's just the routes I take.

hahaha if people think BKK is bad they should try Jakarta....twice as bad

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Or Manila. Phnom Penh is steadily getting worse too.

your right.... the south super highway in manila was pretty good but now it takes an eternity to get just to Alabang

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

What makes it worse is when you look around you there is one person in every car , car pools do not exist here. In my soi I see several family members going to the family business in separate vehicles , this is happening all throughout Bangkok.

In a city where I've never seen road maintenance. I walk Suk. every day to the gym, and I think if they didn't make the dam_n sidewalks so big for all of the vendors crowding them, they would have room to add another lane and help congestion.

But heaven forbid maintaining something, or taking pride in community property, where's the ability to scam that?

I've said for years they should be ashamed and embarrassed of the road conditions here.

• Like 1

What makes it worse is when you look around you there is one person in every car , car pools do not exist here. In my soi I see several family members going to the family business in separate vehicles , this is happening all throughout Bangkok.

You are correct but this problem exists in most part of the world.

Wont be these new cars on the car dealership lot (they are not allowed to sel lthem for 4 years i think it was) - but there will be a load of other used and abused cars there!

No, the cars will be in the forecourts a lot sooner once they have been repossessed.

• Like 1

In a year's time all these rebated cars will be causing gridlock in the second hand car yards along with loss of face!

I just wonder how many bought these cars on finance and once the 100k rebate runs out won't be able to make the payments

Most people have bought these cars on credit and they can't sell the car within 5 years.

This scheme is going to put many of those greedy car buyers into trouble.

They cannot sell, but the car can be confiscated before (after 2 years I think). Wait this time and you have a good secon hand car at a cheap price.

I just wonder how many bought these cars on finance and once the 100k rebate runs out won't be able to make the payments

I am not a fan of this program bit from what I understand this is not how it works.

I believe they all have to make normal payments just like the bought the car normally and after a year they can then go and apply for a refund of the 100k rebate

I understand that the process to apply for the refund is a major pain in the a_ _ and that many have been refused for various reasons (problems with paperwork, gov finding out that name of first time car buyer used is not the one using the car, etc...)

If this is the case, wouldn't be surprised if a lot of folks don't end up getting the refund

Maybe if the drivers had to pass actual driving tests before they were allowed to drive it would help, some basic training like:

You have to stop at red lights.

You must drive on the left hand side of the road.

You do not overtake on double lines and cars on the other side of the road do not have to move off the road to allow you to do it.

You do not have right of way just because you start the car.

On a one way road you can not travel in the opposite direction because it is easier.

If you are on your cell phone pull over, dont just drive very slow and use every lane.

You do not turn right from the left hand lane .

and this doesnt even start on the bike riders, oh well, we can only dream. cheesy.gif

The interesting thing is that the dealers don't actually ask if people have a license. To get a gun you need plenty of licenses, but a car none. I wonder what Toyota or Honda head office would make of a press story that they are selling cars to people without licenses and thus void insurance.

Solving the problem is of course very easy. It would only not be popular among car owners.

Just allow one lane for private cars, the rest for public transport. Of course use barriers so lane switching is impossible, get rid of the stupid u-turn system because it is a mayor contributor to gridlocks.

Gridlock on that one lane will be terrible causing people to choose other options.

I say this as a car owner, and i use public transport in the city like bts/mrt and taxis 99% of the time.

It would do wonders to the air quality too, a much needed improvement.

• Like 2

I only wish they had of included one free child seat along with the subsidised cars. The number of kids I see sitting in mum's arms in the front seat at 100kmh just leaves me totally bewildered.

If you can afford the car, you can afford the child seat.

• Like 2

In a few months time when the sh@# hits the fan and, people start loosing their jobs and payments cannot be meet we will have a desperate society out there. Robberies will go up, murders and suicides as well, marriages/families will break up all over a stupid car.

Takshin and his buddies will come riding along in time for the next election promising huge no interest payments to help out all those stupid dumb people who bought into this scheme, pple will vote the family back into power and it becomes a win/win situation. All for the sake of a bit of face!!!

• Like 1

I only wish they had of included one free child seat along with the subsidised cars. The number of kids I see sitting in mum's arms in the front seat at 100kmh just leaves me totally bewildered.

If you can afford the car, you can afford the child seat.

The amazing thing is the amount of people with Benz's and BMW's doing this. Enough money to waste on a ridiculously expensive car, with umpteen airbags for safety and protection, just waiting for little Somchai to get killed by an exploding airbag in a low speed collision.

Extending scheme until March? They really want to sink Thailand in a debt crisis much like Greece. Then, Thaksin family can takeover thailand at a bargain price!

Bit emotional aren't we, not to mention plain wrong;

Greece National Debt to GDP Ratio = 170.6% (end of 2012)

Thailand National Debt to GDP Ratio = 43.6% (mid 2012 - may reach 50% when flood loans counted in, Capped by Law to 60%)

• Like 1

In a few months time when the sh@# hits the fan and, people start loosing their jobs and payments cannot be meet we will have a desperate society out there. Robberies will go up, murders and suicides as well, marriages/families will break up all over a stupid car.

Takshin and his buddies will come riding along in time for the next election promising huge no interest payments to help out all those stupid dumb people who bought into this scheme, pple will vote the family back into power and it becomes a win/win situation. All for the sake of a bit of face!!!

All the financial news - positive. All the economic rating agencies - positive. Thai Stock market up 33% 2012. Full employment - positive. So who told you the S@it was going to hit the fan? Santa or the tooth fairy?

Extending scheme until March? They really want to sink Thailand in a debt crisis much like Greece. Then, Thaksin family can takeover thailand at a bargain price!

Thailand National Debt to GDP Ratio = 43.6% (mid 2012 - may reach 50% when flood loans counted in, Capped by Law to 60%)

Absolutely right. This endless fear that the country is going to fall into a credit heap like Greece is stupid. There are debates worth having about how and where the money is being spent, but the country isn't going to turn into Greece financially any time soon.

Absolutely right. This endless fear that the country is going to fall into a credit heap like Greece is stupid. There are debates worth having about how and where the money is being spent, but the country isn't going to turn into Greece financially any time soon.

It may be worth mentioning that when Korn and Abhisit were talking in September 2009, of investing $US45 Billion for a project scheduled to last between 2010 and 2012, Abhisit said that that the National Debt ratio would likely reach 58/59% of GDP in 2012 and drop to 50% in 2016.

Nobody was screaming then about robbing the treasury or destroying the Thai economy. What is the difference now?

May reach more if the rice will be sold and the loss will be accounted for. Now the government is still "assuming" that the rice can be sold competitively (in other words, close to the buying price..)

The only cost they count at the monent is the interest expense on the money borrowed to finance this scheme.

This is the reason they are not selling (much) rice.

Edited by Nickymaster

For me I am utterly convinced that once a Thai's gets behind the wheel of a car, they CEASE to be Buddhists. The more expensive the care, the worse they get. They would rather hit the old lady selling noodles than let her cross the road.They would rather Hit a child trying to cross the road at school times. Same same with Bikes

Poor Thailand

My 10 years of experience as a driver in BKK taught me that the majority of Thai drivers are quite polite. But about 1 out of 15 drivers is a total animal with absolute disregard fro rules or safety. You just have to keep your eye out for the animals and let them by you.

Maybe if the drivers had to pass actual driving tests before they were allowed to drive it would help, some basic training like:

You do not overtake on double lines and cars on the other side of the road do not have to move off the road to allow you to do it.

On a one way road you can not travel in the opposite direction because it is easier.

If you are on your cell phone pull over, dont just drive very slow and use every lane.

and this doesnt even start on the bike riders, oh well, we can only dream. cheesy.gif

The interesting thing is that the dealers don't actually ask if people have a license. To get a gun you need plenty of licenses, but a car none. I wonder what Toyota or Honda head office would make of a press story that they are selling cars to people without licenses and thus void insurance.

Could that be because a driving licence is not required to buy a car? Possession of a firearms licence is necessary to buy a gun.

It is not only wrong it is malicious and vindictive attempt to harm the Thai economy by starting untrue rumors. If there is one shred of evidence let them present it but this nonsensical repeating of untrue vague assumptions is ludicrous.

Also, at B.38.0 per litter for 95 petrol, how on earth those car owners, whom

the majority are basic workers can afford them selves to fill up a tank for B.2,000?

You will see that around the 1st and 15th of the month there are longer lines at the petrol stations and traffic is worse.

Pay day for the basic worker, fill up once and hope the tank can feed the holy cow till next pay day...

For me I am utterly convinced that once a Thai's gets behind the wheel of a car, they CEASE to be Buddhists. The more expensive the car, the worse they get. They would rather hit the old lady selling noodles than let her cross the road.They would rather Hit a child trying to cross the road at school times. Same same with Bikes

Poor Thailand

Absolutely TRUE. It seems that when they hide behind their "darker-the-better" windshields and windows they completely lose the politeness encountered when you meet them in person. It is "free-for-all" or "me-first" at any cost as, insulated into their vehicle, there is no "losing-the-face" any more, time to unload all that stress accumulated in the "outside-of-their-car" but real world.

• Like 1

May reach more if the rice will be sold and the loss will be accounted for. Now the government is still "assuming" that the rice can be sold competitively (in other words, close to the buying price..)

The only cost they count at the monent is the interest expense on the money borrowed to finance this scheme.

This is the reason they are not selling (much) rice.

Also, personally I don't believe one word this government says especially about the state of it's finances, they already admitted telling lies last year, I suspect the debt levels are already well beyond the 60% mentioned above JMO

Solving the problem is of course very easy. It would only not be popular among car owners.

Just allow one lane for private cars, the rest for public transport. Of course use barriers so lane switching is impossible, get rid of the stupid u-turn system because it is a mayor contributor to gridlocks.

Gridlock on that one lane will be terrible causing people to choose other options.

I say this as a car owner, and i use public transport in the city like bts/mrt and taxis 99% of the time.

It would do wonders to the air quality too, a much needed improvement.

I think you're suggesting that this plan will reduce the number of private vehicles on the roads dramatically? Doesn't the plan also need a massive increase in the number of buses to accommodate those commuters who would no longer use their cars?

This would do nothing to improve air quality unless you think that private cars are more polluting than the masses of public buses would be.

How would motorists get on to and off this barriered lane?

Sounds like a good plan.

Simply stated, 1.2 million more morons behind the wheel who have no business behind one.

• Like 1

... and in the mean time the BTS opened two more stations in Thonburi. Other, new line projects going along in a snail's pace. Both BMA and (current) government doing it's utmost ...