Alleged Swedish Killer Of Kiwi Now On The Run: Bar Fight In Pattaya

webfact

Alleged killer of Kiwi now on the run

SHANE COWLISHAW

PATTAYA: -- The alleged murderer of a Wellington man stabbed to death in Thailand was allowed to leave the country and is now on the run.

Robert Hollick, 43, from Upper Hutt, was stabbed with a knife three times in his neck and back during a bar fight in the coastal town of Pattaya in August.

Police arrested a 40-year-old Swede, Andreas Ringvall, and charged him with murder. His Thai girlfriend was also detained.

Now, Mr Hollick's mother Anne Hollick has learnt Ringvall has been on the run for months.

After the stabbing, Ringvall's girlfriend told police Mr Hollick started the fight, but witnesses said Ringvall caused the trouble after the woman began playing with Mr Hollick's dog.

The girlfriend was sent back to her room and Ringvall returned with a knife, stabbing Mr Hollick, they said.

Ringvall was bailed days after being arrested, but Ms Hollick said she was shocked to discover that he had been allowed to return to Sweden in late October for "family reasons".

The Foreign Affairs and Trade Ministry confirmed to her on Tuesday that Ringvall was missing.

Ms Hollick said she was told that after Ringvall's court date in November came and went, the New Zealand embassy sent the court an official letter demanding information but received no reply. [more...]

Full story: http://www.stuff.co....-now-on-the-run

-- stuff 2013-01-10

footer_n.gif

related:

Swedish Man Arrested For Allegedly Killing New Zealand Tourist In Pattaya

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took years of intense pressure by the Dutch Embassy, spurred on by relentless family members to finally get justice from the Thai judicial system in the case of the prominent Dutch business man murdered by his wife and her lover in Pattaya a number of years ago.

Whether the Kiwis have the same clout as the Dutch had is a good question.

This case reminds me of the British man who killed his Thai wife on Soi Honey Inn in full view of dozens of witnesses about 6 or 7 years ago. He was eventually bailed out of jail (by the sister of the deceased, no less who got to keep the bar he had co owned with his wife) and AFIK, was never tried.

Weird, a friend of mine is involved in a court case, libel to be exact so far from murder yet he is not even allowed to go on a visa run and needs docs from the court which allows local immigration to extend his 90 days to another 90 days.

Edited by likewise

Amazing, the guy is on the run in his own country after committing a murder here, amazing. I know this is not the only country where this happens, but most countries have sysyems and checks in place to ensure it doesn't happen.

I guess they can now close the file on this one. Farang kills farang why spend public money on a trail. I wouldn't be suprised if they paid for a 1st class ticket to sweden for him so they could write it off. What were his bail conditions, to disapear within 48 hours?

• Like 2

It is amazing how the Thais seem to intimidate the major foreign embassies in to fear and inaction. The foreign embassies seem to put up with lots of Thai incompetence, Thainess, bureaucracy and corruption, least of which is the lack of follow up on legal issues relating to foreign deaths and citizens.

New Zealanders should be marching in front of the New Zealand embassy calling for action. All other citizens should be picketing their embassies to insist that Thais follow up on unsolved cases and information disclosure. Foreign press should be invited to the foreign embassies to write stories and press editorially for justice and closure. Enough is enough of this Thai thing.

Lead on...

... and let me know how you get on with that.

Or Kiwis should just come here to enjoy a holiday, whilst keeping in mind, they are entering an uncivilised, corrupt, but cheap place to holiday, with all the baggage that entails.

It took years of intense pressure by the Dutch Embassy, spurred on by relentless family members to finally get justice from the Thai judicial system in the case of the prominent Dutch business man murdered by his wife and her lover in Pattaya a number of years ago.

Whether the Kiwis have the same clout as the Dutch had is a good question.

This case reminds me of the British man who killed his Thai wife on Soi Honey Inn in full view of dozens of witnesses about 6 or 7 years ago. He was eventually bailed out of jail (by the sister of the deceased, no less who got to keep the bar he had co owned with his wife) and AFIK, was never tried.

yes it stinks......best judicial system money can buy

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Is he actually on the run? Is anyone actually actively looking for him in Sweden? I think the headline is a bit misleading .. Sounds like he was handed his passport by the police, released and simply booked and caught a flight home... now he's in Sweden unless someone fights for extradition I sincerely doubt anyone is actively seeking him in Sweden as he's not been charged with anything there.

The jurisdiction of the Thai police ends in Thailand, so an active arrest warrant in Thailand when the Thai police know full well he's in Sweden is useless. If this isn't a blatant case of police/ court corruption in Thailand I don't know what is. Since when were murderers granted leave to travel home to spend Xmas with their family?

sounds like your right, he'll get off scott free. what about Interpol? do they have any authority in a situation like this?

I guess they can now close the file on this one. Farang kills farang why spend public money on a trail. I wouldn't be suprised if they paid for a 1st class ticket to sweden for him so they could write it off. What were his bail conditions, to disapear within 48 hours?

I think you're right on the money - a very likely senario

• Like 1

I'd like to think I'd be shocked and surprised by all this. I would be if it were anywhere else in the world. How someone is allowed to go home having been charged with this crime is beyond me. I wonder whether anyone in Sweden is actively looking for this guy with a view to sending him back a'la Aldhouse. Hmmmm........