How To Get To Doi Pui To Watch Sakura?

samlowry

You can drive up in a car. Keep going past the temple, past the palace. Turn up to the right at the t junction where left is down to the tourist trap hmong village. The road reaches a barrier blocking access to the road up to the peak of Doi Pui. Head down to the right, through the visitors centre, down to the coffee shop & ornamental gardens where the sakura trees are. The road is narrow. Best to avoid weekends when half of Chiang Mai is up there & passing on coming trucks can get tricky.

I've been at Doi Pui many times; never saw it crowded with the possible exception of the Ban Doi Pui village during Xmas/New Year. The area where the cherry trees grow is not exactly a crowded area, but it is neither totally deserted. There are highland farms, hilltribes, and occasional visitors. After reaching the peak, you have to go down the road from Doi Pui towards Ban Chang Khian. It turns into a bumpy dust road one or two kilometres after the peak, so best to go by motorcycle or (even better:) mountain bike. I haven't been up there in the past few weeks, but I went to Doi Luang Chiang Dao yesterday and the cherry trees over there were already in bloom.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• 2 weeks later...