My current situation is that I am on a double entry tourist visa which will expire in Mid June.

I am looking for the possibility of learning thai with an ED visa.

1) Can I get a 6month ED visa? if so where, what schools (in Chiang Mai).

2) If I get a full year long ED visa can I leave Thailand and come back and the visa still be valid. I ask as I have to go back home for

medical checks every year - I only leave for about a week to 10 days.

Thanks in advance.

The ED visa usually get extended every 90 days, as long your school gets you the papers . 1900 baht.

To leave the country, and keep the visa, you need a re-entry permit. 1000 baht

Schools in Chiang Mai? I think, one sponsor of Thai Visa has also in Chiang Mai a branch

But you should easily find more options, I think.

Edited by noob7

An ED Visa is for good 90 days but, extensions can be had with paperwork from your school of choice. I have been in school in CM since June of 2012. Obtained a single entry ED Visa in Vientiane (after two TVs) and re-entered Thailand on July 13, 2012. After 90 days, with paperwork from my school, I got a 90 day extension of stay for 1,900 baht. Once that extension expired, I got another handful of paperwork from my school and got an extension that runs to July 12, 2013 (it worked out to 187 days from the time my most recent 90 extension expired) for 1,900 baht. YES - the permission to stay stamp in my passport reads "July 12, 2013"! You need to do 90 reports as well (no cost for 90 reports). As for leaving the country you need to go to immigration and get a re-entry permit, cost 1,000 baht. BTW - I am in my mid 60s, go to Pro Language on NH here in CM, they handle all paperwork expertly, as do several other legitimate schools. Remember as well, you do not get a "visa" from a school, those come from consulates or embassies outside of Thailand. The school simply facilitates the paperwork and obtains the necessary approvals on your behalf, and they do the same for all your extensions. In my case, I can extend my stay continuously for up to 3 years before a new Visa would be required.

Great question Derek, was about to ask something similar as my circumstance is a little similar, I need to come back to Australia every year.

When I was at Payup, they did the paperwork and when I went to the immigration at that time I did ask about me going home and had to get a re entry permit 1000 bht at that time and that allowed me to be away for 30 days from memory, as I came back in between terms at school.

I was told that me coming back for a tourist visa 90 days I can apply to a school and wait for one month to get the paperwork sent to and from the Ministry of Education, then I am to leave Thailand, go to Malaysia or Vietnam for example to get the ED Visa wait for a few days to get the visa from the Thai embassy then come back to where I will have a 90 day ED then go to immigration, get another 90 day 1900 bht, then after that 90, I will get a 180 day ED visa extension.

If I have not understood what was said at the school in Chiang Mai will stand corrected

An ED Visa is for good 90 days but, extensions can be had with paperwork from your school of choice. I have been in school in CM since June of 2012. Obtained a single entry ED Visa in Vientiane (after two TVs) and re-entered Thailand on July 13, 2012. After 90 days, with paperwork from my school, I got a 90 day extension of stay for 1,900 baht. Once that extension expired, I got another handful of paperwork from my school and got an extension that runs to July 12, 2013 (it worked out to 187 days from the time my most recent 90 extension expired) for 1,900 baht. YES - the permission to stay stamp in my passport reads "July 12, 2013"! You need to do 90 reports as well (no cost for 90 reports). As for leaving the country you need to go to immigration and get a re-entry permit, cost 1,000 baht. BTW - I am in my mid 60s, go to Pro Language on NH here in CM, they handle all paperwork expertly, as do several other legitimate schools. Remember as well, you do not get a "visa" from a school, those come from consulates or embassies outside of Thailand. The school simply facilitates the paperwork and obtains the necessary approvals on your behalf, and they do the same for all your extensions. In my case, I can extend my stay continuously for up to 3 years before a new Visa would be required.

DowntownAl-thanks the detailed info. I just turned 60 and have been thinking about taking the road you are on. I visited Chiang Mai recently, but now I'm in BKK. Can I ask what you are paying Pro Language ? I'm trying to suss out the ED visa details and decide between that, and just floating out of the country when necessary. Much thanks.

Where is the cheapest place/school to get an ED Visa from? Ideally one where I don't have to turn up.

Problem for me is that I want to move between 3-4 locations in Thailand during the year (training muay thai at multiple camps).

For example.

2 months Phuket, 2 months Bangkok, 2 months Chiang Mai, 2 months Ubon, etc.

What is my visa solution for this?

An ED visa for what? You can study or train on a normal tourist visa if that is the issue. If for study of Thai many of the schools have more than one location so might be able to accommodate change in venue. Believe most charge in the 20k per year range and extensions of 90-180 days cost 1,900 baht. If you are asking about illegal activity it is not for discussion per forum rules.

"An ED visa for what?"

To study Thai in a cost effective manner and nove to make that rather long cumbersome trip to Laos. Tourist Visa will cost in the region of 24K a year all in. ED Visa about 20K all in close on 28 to 30K a little more but you get the Thai classes included and not have to make that long trip to Laos.

"An ED visa for what?"

To study Thai in a cost effective manner and nove to make that rather long cumbersome trip to Laos. Tourist Visa will cost in the region of 24K a year all in. ED Visa about 20K all in close on 28 to 30K a little more but you get the Thai classes included and not have to make that long trip to Laos.

My question was in response to post #6 by Metapod. Sorry.

"An ED visa for what?"

My question was in response to post #6 by Metapod. Sorry.

I want a visa solution where I am not tied to 1 location. Studying at a school restricts me to 1 place. I need to move between 4-5 places during the year to train Muay Thai.

Not asking to do anything illegal. I want to know my options regarding a visa.

No illegal to just use tourist visas - you might be able to obtain three entries to start which with 30 days extensions could cover the first nine months and then obtain another in Laos for the last three months of your stay.

"An ED visa for what?"

Have you included the extensions every 90days at Immigration that is normally required, cost of 1900baht per time.

No illegal to just use tourist visas - you might be able to obtain three entries to start which with 30 days extensions could cover the first nine months and then obtain another in Laos for the last three months of your stay.

It isn't illegal to visit a country on a legal visa. That is stupid.

They could deny me a tourist visa after so many in a row, but never would it be "illegal"

I'm not working on the visa or anything.

Edited by Metapod

It isn't illegal to visit a country on a legal visa. That is stupid.

They could deny me a tourist visa after so many in a row, but never would it be "illegal"

I'm not working on the visa or anything.

Metapod the problem with your plan is if you don't show up to class the school won't give you the paperwork to extend the visa at immigration. You can skip from time to time but you need to go semi regularly. Some shady schools might not forward the attendance sheets to immigration like their supposed to but once you paid all that money do you want to lose it and have to do border runs anyway? Just do a tourist visa extended three months then fly out and in a few times.

• 4 months later...

An ED visa for what? You can study or train on a normal tourist visa if that is the issue. If for study of Thai many of the schools have more than one location so might be able to accommodate change in venue. Believe most charge in the 20k per year range and extensions of 90-180 days cost 1,900 baht. If you are asking about illegal activity it is not for discussion per forum rules.

Multiple venues could maybe work.

Are there any schools that do that?

You could possibly participate in classes at different locations but to get an extension of stay for education you would need to do it at the same immigration office.

Suggest you contact Walen or another school that has more than one location to answer your question.

Is it necessary to turn up at the classes? Is this a requirement of receiving the permission to stay?

Or just pay the 20,000 Baht ( + 1900 B for each 90-day extension ) and that's all you need to do?

You can pay your school fees and obtain an ED visa valid for 90 days, BUT if you do not attend classes I suspect that will be your last 90 days.

If you fail to attend school the school will not be able to supply the documentation required to secure an extension.

Your plan could prove to be an expensive 90 stay in Thailand !

your visa solution is surely not an ED visa and getting one and not turning up, that is disrespectfull to those who at times work hard to obtain the ED Visa and are prepared to attend classes

Not forgetting that immigration ask questions about how much thai one knows,a deportation order is not good

Is it necessary to turn up at the classes? Is this a requirement of receiving the permission to stay?

Yes. You are supposed to follow these courses, but Immigration will not come at your school to check. They just ask the school a proof as a picture or you inside a classroom during a course. I several times saw a course interrupted 2 minutes: the time for a never-see-before student to sit among us with a book, to take 1 or 2 pictures, and to exit wink.png

Not forgetting that immigration ask questions about how much thai one knows,a deportation order is not good

I made 4 ED Extensions at Jomtien, and never have been asked anything in Thai... In fact I think each times I said "hello" in Thai and that's all. Officers there don't speak much, they just write and stamp.