Bangkok Overpasses For Bikes

prepress

Hi,

in Bangkok I noticed last two month local motorcycle using bridges / overpasses who are banned for bikes. (according to road signs)

I follow the local drivers and never see police control on other side.

Are there new rules for bikes using overpasses in Bangkok?

There was a long thread a while back (6 months tops) about the police not being allowed to have road blocks in daytime anymore. A very interesting idea they had. Search on Thaivisa and you will find it.

My guess is that some coppers had problems transporting powder around town so they banned the day time stops...

The cops are still out there, BUT, as said... They are just LAZY!!!

There may be no actual road blocks anymore but if there is a police man directing traffic at the bottom of the overpass he may stop you as it has happened to me. But he's only likely to be there during rush hours.

Agreed, I saw one cop who wanted to stop me on the bottom a bridge a couple of months ago, but I just went around him and he only half heartedly protested by chasing me 2-3 steps and throwing his hands up in the air. At least it wasn't a real stop, where they have strung out in front of me with arms locked together. Ahh, memories......

Last saturday going to Kanchanaburi we took the Elevated Borommaratchachonnani road (AH123), just a 100m going up on the overpass there was a little hut with 2 cops hiding from the sun. As soon as they saw our lights from far they moved into the middle of the road quiete determined to stop us.

I hesitated really as we just spent 1 hour in the heat of traffic trying to get out of Bangkok... I started to make my move as if I was going to stop and thought "what the hell", it was safe to do so, so I put the gas right up and passed. Unfortunalty my friend on the other bike behind me really thought I was going to stop and already moved his way in so could not avoid them. He talked to them, telling them that he was so thirsty and hungry going out of the heavy traffic of Bangkok and they let him go....

These overpasses rules are so stupid, I can understand for the scooters as they cannot keep up with the speed of the cars but as for big bikes it really does not make any sens...

• Like 1

Last saturday going to Kanchanaburi we took the Elevated Borommaratchachonnani road (AH123), just a 100m going up on the overpass there was a little hut with 2 cops hiding from the sun. As soon as they saw our lights from far they moved into the middle of the road quiete determined to stop us.

I hesitated really as we just spent 1 hour in the heat of traffic trying to get out of Bangkok... I started to make my move as if I was going to stop and thought "what the hell", it was safe to do so, so I put the gas right up and passed. Unfortunalty my friend on the other bike behind me really thought I was going to stop and already moved his way in so could not avoid them. He talked to them, telling them that he was so thirsty and hungry going out of the heavy traffic of Bangkok and they let him go....

These overpasses rules are so stupid, I can understand for the scooters as they cannot keep up with the speed of the cars but as for big bikes it really does not make any sens...

Not only did I say I was thirsty, I said I was dying and would die very soon if he did not let me to on to a PTT to get some water :D

While I was reckoning with him, his colleague was busy flagging down other vehicles for imagined infringements as well. So after a while, he probably felt that he would have a better chance getting some money off them.

It did dawn on me later that I could have been in big trouble if he decided to get tough and "arrest" me for having my friend speed off, I would just pretend then I do not know you, just followed you up the ramp :)

• Like 1

Not only did I say I was thirsty, I said I was dying and would die very soon if he did not let me to on to a PTT to get some water biggrin.png

While I was reckoning with him, his colleague was busy flagging down other vehicles for imagined infringements as well. So after a while, he probably felt that he would have a better chance getting some money off them.

It did dawn on me later that I could have been in big trouble if he decided to get tough and "arrest" me for having my friend speed off, I would just pretend then I do not know you, just followed you up the ramp smile.png

I have to say I felt very guilty for you after the action rolleyes.gif, I really thought that as I had attracted their attention you would pass on the right like a flower. Not to repeat again such thing, I actually don't care to pay 200thb to use an overpass from time to time, I always use them so it is to consider like a toll when that happens... But no way I was going to put up with another hour of traffic under that bloody overpass cowboy.gif