New Airport For Ubon?

jcb2001

They could easily take more passenger at the existing airport. They don't even use the upstairs but for a few offices. Perhaps the Emerald Triangle Development thing proposed would bring some tourists but it's too far away from town IMHO.

http://www.thaivisa....velopment-plan/

Going to be a long time before the Emerald Triangle gets much in the way of real tourism. Except for a few places that have border soldiers stationed at them, the rest of the national park is a no go zone.

Up in my little patch of the jungle there are still a lot of guys with guns up there, drug smugglers, poachers etc So don't go in the woods alone, or you maybe in for a big surprise. Jim

Many years ago I used to enjoy my few trips up to the Laos border behind the Animal Husbandry Center in Buntarik. Met Lao nationals coming down to sell their produce in the local market and recharge their batteries (not figuratively). They also used the local health center because the one on their side of the hill was a three day trek. Enjoyed whiling away a few hours with the local border soldiers in their camp, but boy did they hit the rice juice in their down time.

I assume it is still very much a rough and ready place. I remember hiding from heavily armed Lao soldiers when over on their side looking for bamboo shoots. Happy memories.

Buntharik his grown fast in my 10 years here, 7/11 and a new tesco's just opened.

I live a fair way out from there, Ban Sang Hom. Edge of the big wild green place and no one goes in there without a gun, except me, but I am fully aware that I lost my mind years ago. Jim

• Like 1

Doesn't stop me feeling slightly queasy every time as we swoop in low over Tha Chayangkul! Why they don't land in the other direction...

That would add 5 minutes to the flight and its a better view landing from the West. Here is a video I took recently.

Edited by ubonrthai
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's not even a direct route from Bangkok to LA anymore. The international travel talked about is regional so probably flights to Singapore or Hanoi. That would be nice.

The airport parking lot could easily expand to the East if they wanted to. It doesn't help that they won't let you parallel park on the 2nd road any more.

Did anyone ever figure out who is in control of whether or not meter taxis can pick people up at the airport? I regularly go to the airport and ever since the meter taxis started there have been more and more waiting outside the airport grounds waiting for people to walk the kilometer or so to get a meter taxi. Ridiculous.

I have been told the reason why the taxi's do not pick up is because the Taxi company refuse to pay rent at the airport for a kiosk of some sort. I deliver there every day and always see people lugging their bags out to the main gate. It is embarrassing to say the least.

I have a friend (as I am retired now, was our hired driver at Ubon airport whilst working in Thailand). I asked him the question as above (why no

metered taxi) on the airport premises. He told me that the transportation service i.e. car service is linked to a gangster operation therefore

the metered taxi's were unable to service the Ubon airport as yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that info - it is good news indeed. Although it is a shame that 4 out of the 5 flights are in the afternoon/evening. Would love to have a real super early flight that arrives into Bangkok around 6am.

Not an early riser then I take it? :)

As I use Darwin as my entry point into Australia the only flights leave in the morning out of Bangkok. Last month I flew to Chiang Mai and flew out to Singapore from there!

Id never fly that early either.

Mind you, I would also never bank on a tight connection with an intercontinental flight. I prefer to put an evening or at least one other optional domestic leg flight between the domestic and international journeys, in case the Ubon/BKK leg is cancelled or massively delayed. Im always on restricted flexibility tickets for international flights back to Europe, so the cost of missing is high.

Memock - you must be more of a risk-taker as well as being an earlier bird than most of ussmile.png

Having said that I cant recall more than an hour delay ever out of Ubon in over 7 years and many flights.

• Like 1