Can A Tabien Baan, A House Book, Be Full?

Is there a limit to the number of Thai names there can be on a tabien baan (house book)? I know next to nothing about tabien baans so I'm just wanting to check a couple of things I've recently been told by Thai acquaintances.

HOMEOWNERS

A Thai woman I know, a homeowner, told me her tabien baan was full. This was because people she knew who lived locally kept asking her if they could be on her tabien baan. She'd agree to it to help them out, even though they didn't live at her place. (I think she told me nine names was the limit in her case of her tabien baan.) Could this be correct?

RENTED PROPERTY

I've been told that a Thai kid I know cannot get medical care here in Pattaya under the 30 baht scheme because she isn't on a tabien baan in the Pattaya area. When I asked why she wasn't on a tabien baan, I was told the tabien baan for where she now lives - a rented place - is full. (For all I know she maybe on a tabien baan somewhere in Bangkok where she was born.) Again, could this be correct?

Thanks for your help.

PS: Mods, I looked at the Real Estate forum and thought this wasn't particularly relevant for that forum, but please move it there (or elsewhere) if you think appropriate. Thanks.

There should be room for 14 people in the house registration books.

I would assume that if the book is full because of people 'coming and going', you can get a new book.

Terry

Thanks for your reply.

As I say, I know virtually nothing about tabien baans. Would a Thai have a tabien baan for his or her condo? Would a tabien baan for a condo (say a condo with only a studio room) also allow for 14 people?

In other words, isn't the amount of people allowed on a tabien baan in some sense dependent on the size of the property in question?

Space for 16 names on my Yellow Tabien Bahn

Thanks.

Isn't a yellow tabien baan just for foreigners?

And just because there is space for 16 names, does that mean the authorities would allow 16 names?

Yes the yellow one is for foreigners. I think they would allow 16 names depending on the circumstances - like if I had lots of kids.

I don't know - I thought that to be on the blue tabien baan the people had to be related?

I don't know - I thought that to be on the blue tabien baan the people had to be related?

Thanks - but I don't think the tabien baan is anything to do with family relationships - but I may be wrong. But I do think it's an all-important proof of residence for Thais. This from another website I just looked up:

"A Tabien Baan is an extremely important document for Thai nationals because it acts as proof of a Thai person’s residence. Therefore, it is used to determine a Thai person’s voting district and in the case of Thai men of military age, the Tabien Baan is used to ascertain what district the Thai man will be placed in when drawing for the military draft."

I'd add to that, I think it also determines their access to the government 30 baht health scheme. Which is one of the important things I'm asking about here.

Doing more reading on the internet just now, it seems to me that tabien baans are just about proof of residence. Be it a house or a condo. (They are nothing to do with proof of ownership.)

It therefore could make sense for there to be a restriction as to the number of people allowed on a tabien baan - related to the size of the property.

In which case, a tabien baan could become 'full' - which is what I'm asking about.

But, yes, I know TIT! - maybe I'm being too logical.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks.

Space for 16 names on my Yellow Tabien Bahn

Yeap, I just pulled out my Yellow Book...pages for 16 names and my name uses up one of the pages.

Then pulled our the wife's Blue Book, same, same...pages for 16 names and her name uses up one of the pages. I'm not listed in the Blue Book....we both live at the same residence.

Note sure if a Yellow or Blue Books come in smaller sizes like possibly 9 name version as mentioned in the OP's post. Heck, even the 16 name/page version is pretty skinny.

Not uncommon for large, extended families (i.e., mom, day, grandma, granddad, multiple adult kids who now also have kids, etc...etc...etc) to be living at one location on-and-off which means they may all end up on one Blue Book. Also, non-family members can end-up the Blue Book when someone wants to help someone else out...happens a lot. This happened within my own family where a in-law was put on another Blue Book in order to obtain free medical care from a different hospital in a neighboring province..until recently the local district office would assign a person to hospital XYZ under the 30 baht medical program which would usually be the closest govt hospital in the same province....but if you wanted to go to a govt hospital in the next province which might even be closer you could be out of luck....but as mentioned those rules have loosened-up a little bit for non-emergency care and loosened-up a whole lot for emergency care.

I thought that the tabien baans relate to the property. If Thai citizens build a house then a blue book is issued with the family names. Then if the property is sold then the new owners take over the blue book and have their names inserted.
Yeap, pretty much...it's a residence document...see: Link 1 Link 2 Edited by Pib

I thought that the tabien baans relate to the property.

To repeat, as I understand it, a tabien baan relates a property to the people who LIVE at that property - or who supposedly, live there.

If Thai citizens build a house then a blue book is issued with the family names.

I believe tabien baans are not just for houses. They are also, for example, for condos. If so, the farang translation of 'tabien baan' as 'house book' is a misnomer. From what I've read over the last few hours it seems it should be translated as something like 'home book'.

Then if the property is sold then the new owners take over the blue book and have their names inserted.

To repeat, I believe tabien baans are nothing to do with ownership. They are about residence. I believe you can rent a place and be on the tabien baan.

Yeap, pretty much...it's a residence document...see: Link 1 Link 2

Exactly.

So can a tabien baan only hold a certain number of names?

Can it be full in the sense that an official would say "no more names are allowed to be added to this tabien baan"?

That is what I'm asking in this thread.

It's almost certainly an excuse to not put people they don't want in their house book.

But you can usually find someone in your area to add a few more for a small payment (1k per person).

Single elderly ladies living in their own home are often interested in some extra cash.

You mean the people who want an excuse say "the tabien baan is full, sorry, I can't help"?

In which case that would bear out the impression I'm getting that there is a fixed quota for a tabien baan for a given property.

Yes?

I'm guessing, but I wouldn't expect any typical residence would actually have more than 16 people living in it.

Just a few minutes ago I asked the wife when we got the Blue Book (which only has her name in it) for our current Bangkok home, which we bought about 5 years ago, was her name removed from her Mom's Blue Book which lives in the next province? In getting the current Blue Book she did have to provide a copy of her Mom's Blue Book in order to get the new book created. And to the best of our memory the Mom's Blue Book was not phsically updated to remove the wife's name although in the data base it was updated. Any my wife's sister in still on dear ol' Mom's Blue Book although she has her own Blue Book with her name on it for her separate residence.

Now supposedly, the govt computer Blue Book/ID Card data base is what supposedly reflects the current people living at residence XYZ although the actual Blue Book may not have been physically updated in all cases.

Edited by Pib

Yeap, pretty much...it's a residence document...see: Link 1 Link 2

Exactly.

So can a tabien baan only hold a certain number of names?

Can it be full in the sense that an official would say "no more names are allowed to be added to this tabien baan"?

That is what I'm asking in this thread.

For a final answer check with DOPA (department of provincial administration) www.dopa.go.th

They have a call center, otherwise you can ask the government information line at 1111.

• Like 1

I'm guessing, but I wouldn't expect any typical residence would actually have more than 16 people living in it.

Might this depend on how a 'typical residence' is defined by the tabien baan authorities?

For example, what about a single condo block consisting of 100 one-room condos - all rented out to Thais?

Do the tabien baan authorities consider that 100 individual residences with 100 tabien baans allowing perhaps up to 4 or 6 people per tabien baan?

Or just one residence with one tabien baan on which there can be hundreds of names?

For a final answer check with DOPA (department of provincial administration) www.dopa.go.th

They have a call center, otherwise you can ask the government information line at 1111.

What, you mean the mighty wisdom of ThaiVisa might not know the answers to my questions? Surely not! biggrin.png

But, seriously, thanks for that suggestion. Although I suspect that calling that number will require a Thai-speaker, which won't be that easy to arrange. My Thai language skills wouldn't be up to it, I'm sure.