Cheeky Restaurant Charge

PETDCAT

Just got back from trying a new restaurant, It is a Vietnamese place next to The Dukes on the riverside. Let me clarify,it is not a new restaurant,but it was new to me having never been there before. When we arrived we decided to sit upstairs hoping there would be a view of the river. Food was good, but nothing special,but the surprise was when the bill came. The bill for 2 people was 650 Baht, with a 3 baht charge for ice and 30 baht for air con. I don't think I have been charged for air con anywhere in C.M except of course for a hotel room, and the additional charge for 4 ice cubes after the drink came to the table at room temperature seemed petty. We didnt order a bucket of ice,only asked for ice to be added to 1 drink. Meanwhile my gf kept her jacket on the entire time cos she was cold.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good one for the Cheeky Restaurant Charge thread but not sure it beats my 80 baht surcharge because I asked for a dish "extra" spicy!

http://www.thaivisa....ge__hl__ cheeky

Yeah 80 baht for a few chillies is over the top. They must hope most people pay the bill without looking to closely. Had they given me the bill instead of my gf I probably wouldnt have noticed the charges. I am sure it was all written in thai and I would have paid it and never noticed the charges.

It's a good one for the Cheeky Restaurant Charge thread but not sure it beats my 80 baht surcharge because I asked for a dish "extra" spicy!

http://www.thaivisa....ge__hl__ cheeky

Yeah 80 baht for a few chillies is over the top. They must hope most people pay the bill without looking to closely. Had they given me the bill instead of my gf I probably wouldnt have noticed the charges. I am sure it was all written in thai and I would have paid it and never noticed the charges.

I suppose you could be thankfull they didn't charge you by the hour for the chairs to sit on. That could be next. blink.png

• Like 2

It always amazes me that certain Thai places will try that petty crap without realizing what harm they are doing to their reputation. If someone tries to scam me my reaction is to not come back, and to tell everyone I know not to shop there. As others have already pointed out, if they need a bit more money to cover their overhead then just add it to the menu price, then let the people decide. I'm overly generous at the few places where I eat and drink, and the staff are always friendly and often offer me extras: a piece of fruit, or some chips.

There is a small fruit and veggie market where I often shop because it is close. I know I can buy things cheaper at the Warorot market, but I don't mind paying a little extra for convenience. However, the other day I felt like some bananas, but my favourite shop was closed, so I went nearby to another stand where the owner didn't know me. I picked up a VERY small hand of bananas that was a third the size of what I am used to, and handed the woman 20 baht expecting at least 5 baht back. But, she just waved me away. Now I don't worry about 5 baht... or even 20 baht, as I'll often leave more than that for a tip, but I don't like people thinking I'm a dumb idiot. I just won't shop there again for anything. Today I bought a big hand of bananas for 25 baht which is the going price.

Thanks for the warning, I do not really care for Vietnamese food anyway. In the PI they charge you for every bucket of ice usually only half full when you get it. The places I frequent in Chiang Mai do not charge me for ice

Edited by moe666

one of the better thai restaurants i used to lunch at reegularly had 2 areas, outdoor seating and A/C room. you had a choice where you wanted to eat and the ac room tacked 10 onto each individuals bill. they too charged for ice, but it seems a fair trade off as everything else on the menu was very reasonably priced

If you have a choice i cant see the issue

Edited by tinfoilhat

They do this all around the country i notice. In Bangkok its usually only the Isaan style restaurant with a seperate air con room built on that will charge between 5-10 per person for the aircon. That you got the charge of 3 baht for a few bits of ice is indeed cheeky but i cannot believe they did even bother to put this on the bill.

Dont want to sound rude but considering a bill of over 600baht in total, to help themself of a 33 baht tip doesnt seem a real lot to write home to thaivisa about rolleyes.gif

What's next?

Charge for oxygen

Charge for chef's buffalo

Charge for plate rental

Charge for cleaning table

Charge for rat traps

Wishful thinking there JT...ive never seen anyone attempt to catch the rats

but surely even they could not be as bold to charge for this as eveyone does know not one of these guys would outlay a single baht of their own money to buy the rat traps in advancelaugh.png

<snip> the other day I felt like some bananas <snip>

I have Chinese friends born in Canada who also feel like bananas: yellow on the outside, white on the inside. :)

I think a supplemental charge for air conditioning where they have choice air/no air areas and a sign announcing the policy is perfectly fair.

As to the ice cubes charge, consider this: hot coffee in coffee shops is cheaper then iced coffee. If I ordered hot coffee, then asked for free ice to add to it, I could save money. As a broke teenager, I once tried that at our neighborhood food stall and the owner clipped me on the back of my ear, telling me not to be a smart arse.

T

The Op states his bill came to 650 baht for 2 people. Many of the items on the menu are priced 45 - 65 baht. Usually 3 items from the menu stuffs me and my wife when we go there for lunch. 650 baht of food from their menu is an awful lot of food. The complaint about paying 3 baht for some extra ice made me smile when I read it this morning. It reminded me of this Monty Python clip

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 1

I like the restaurant, the food and the prices. There is a prominent sign that tells customers of the charge so there is a choice: downstairs no air-con and no charge or upstairs and pay the extra. It's very popular with local Thais. Most are regular visitors. I'm also a regular visitor.

Thank goodness so many moaners from TV feel the charge is outrageous and won't go there. I like the quiet and friendly atmosphere.

I like the place also, they are a chain, clean, efficient and with standardized viet food. The aircon charge is not hidden.
  • Like 1

Today I bought a big hand of bananas for 25 baht which is the going price.

Is it? It seems to me that the price of bananas has gone way up. I see signs in Thai markets for 50 and 60 baht for what used to cost 20 or 30.

I've found that the price is determined by how many bananas there are in the hand. Usually I pay about 3 baht per banana, but occasionally it's only 2. Some places I've come across will ask 5 baht each; that's a bit high. Oh, and the size of bananas will also vary with the price. So it's not apples to apples.

Today I bought a big hand of bananas for 25 baht which is the going price.

Is it? It seems to me that the price of bananas has gone way up. I see signs in Thai markets for 50 and 60 baht for what used to cost 20 or 30.

Fat bananas are only 15 baht a hand at the local market I go to. The bigger bananas that farangs tend to go for are more expensive and can be 50 baht.

What's next?

Charge for oxygen

Charge for chef's buffalo

Charge for plate rental

Charge for cleaning table

Charge for rat traps

Wishful thinking there JT...ive never seen anyone attempt to catch the rats

but surely even they could not be as bold to charge for this as eveyone does know not one of these guys would outlay a single baht of their own money to buy the rat traps in advancelaugh.png

Have you ever analysed the food you have ordered?

I have never eaten their, I have intended to on several occasions, but normally get side tracked and end up at old faithful at Dukes !!! If anything, the ribs are probably to good or at least to rich, but very addictive.

I will absolutely NEVER ever enter this restaurant or if I do enter it is jut to tell them that word is getting out about their pathetic little scam and I am going to go dump 1000B next door.

Why cant restaurants server coke cold in Thailand?

Even some of the expensive restaurants follow this stupid practice.

I like the restaurant, the food and the prices. There is a prominent sign that tells customers of the charge so there is a choice: downstairs no air-con and no charge or upstairs and pay the extra. It's very popular with local Thais. Most are regular visitors. I'm also a regular visitor.

Thank goodness so many moaners from TV feel the charge is outrageous and won't go there. I like the quiet and friendly atmosphere.

That's fair. Indeed we have been back many times as we like the place too. The g/f didn't see the sign about the A/C the first time we went more than 4 years ago (maybe it's bigger now), so it was a surprise when the bill came. I don't think either of us had seen that elsewhere in Thailand before. We just sit downstairs now.

I don't understand why some are calling it a "scam". How could it be a scam if the sign is posted? I suppose they could post in English too, but then some would complain that it should be in Korean, Japanese, etc., etc.

Just don't sit upstairs. The food is good there.

• Like 1

I like the place also, they are a chain, clean, efficient and with standardized viet food. The aircon charge is not hidden.

True they are a chain but this location (for whatever reason) is in a league above the others in the chain.

There is a clearly marked sign. You can sit where you want. I actually like it that more places (and cheaper places) put in an aircon room and charge a bit of money for it. I often go for the aircon room.

Places include Jiang (the Chinese noodle, duck and dim sum place on Chang Klan) and a small restaurant near the exit of the Wing 41 road. (Which does amazing stewed beef)

It's not a problem, it's a feature!

Of course, this being Thaivisa, everything is a problem. sad.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1