Visa To Us For A Thai Gf?

(this question is for a friend)

Can anyone point me i the direction of a good thread or some info about making a tourist visa for a Thai girl to visit the USA on a tourist visa, with her US citizen BF?

I am looking for information on what type of documentation is needed in the application and any tips or advice based on visas that people have applied for.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless your girl friend or you have strong ties to Thailand it will be very difficult.

For you that means living here and being here on an extension of stay from immigration.

If you are not living here then she will need to have a job that pays well.

Start here: http://bangkok.usemb...rant_visas.html

Note, much of the success, or not, for a GF's visa will depend on the Thai Immigration status of the BF. Working? Studying? Tourist? etc.

Mac

Thansk Thanyaburi mac.

They have been seeing each other 4 months. They met on the internet, he has spent 2 months in Thailand with her. Im told he has a good job. She is at Uni studying

Unless your girl friend or you have strong ties to Thailand it will be very difficult.

For you that means living here and being here on an extension of stay from immigration.

If you are not living here then she will need to have a job that pays well.

Thanks UbonJoe for that feedback

(not my GF). She is at Uni studying. He has a good job I am told.

A good job here plus work permit? If yes then there is a good chance of getting the visa.

He works in The US. Has his own business with family in the US, which he works for as well. Currently taking a 4 month holiday in Thailand (or 2 month)

Agree, the K-1 fiance visa might be best.

Do a Google for: k1 visa

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1315.html

Relatively short term relationship, and he lives in the U.S. Main point to the interviewing ConOff at the Embassy is what good ties does he GF have to Thailand that would pretty much ensure that she'd return.

With a K-1 visa, altho it'd take some time to process, they can get married within 90 days of arrival in the U.S., but there's no absolute requirement that they do so. If marriage is not in the cards, she comes back to Thailand.

Mac

• Like 1

http://travel.state....types_1315.html

Relatively short term relationship, and he lives in the U.S. Main point to the interviewing ConOff at the Embassy is what good ties does he GF have to Thailand that would pretty much ensure that she'd return.

With a K-1 visa, altho it'd take some time to process, they can get married within 90 days of arrival in the U.S., but there's no absolute requirement that they do so. If marriage is not in the cards, she comes back to Thailand.

Mac

She was just talking about getting married in Thailand before applying (a cousin's suggestion). Just a wedding at the local amphur office I presume. Im not sure how that would be viewed by the US consulate.

Nice to see so many friends asking questions for friends in this forum. I don't think a tourist visa would be easy but fiance visa worth a go says the dude.

Thanks for the input Dude

tongue.png . I'm Australian mate so not much need for me to be pretending to be asking for a 'friend' to go to the US

• Like 1

Mac

She was just talking about getting married in Thailand before applying (a cousin's suggestion). Just a wedding at the local amphur office I presume. Im not sure how that would be viewed by the US consulate.

Looks like 5-6 months minimum for the k1 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/607942-question-about-k-1-visa-to-the-us/

• Like 1

Nice to see so many friends asking questions for friends in this forum. I don't think a tourist visa would be easy but fiance visa worth a go says the dude.

The Dude ... I hear you ... many times I wonder about 'asking for a friend' ... but I know and have met the 'BookMan' and vouch for him ... he's a straight up sort of dude ... thumbsup.gif

Resume normal service please ...

• Like 2

Mac

Consulate doesn't care how they got married. They are more concerned about proof of an ongoing relationship. Photos and that kind of thing. If they got married, he would file the I-130 petition from the U.S. and once that is approved and the NVC steps are completed, she would apply for a CR-1 visa at the consulate.

Edited by daboyz1
  • Like 1

"She was just talking about getting married in Thailand before applying (a cousin's suggestion). Just a wedding at the local amphur office I presume. Im not sure how that would be viewed by the US consulate. "

If applying for a Tourist Visa, being married is almost more difficult than just being a GF. Need even better reasons for returning to Thailand. The presumption might be that by getting a tourist visa, they just want to beat the regular IMMIGRANT visa processing paperwork and time by doing an Adjustment of Status after arrival in the U.S.

Not really a good idea, me thinks.

Mac

That's a good point and ill pass that along

Mac

If you marry in Thailand first then it becomes an immigration application. Much more time consuming and difficult.

K-1 visa is a non immigrant visa and takes about 5-6 months. If you marry during the 90 days of the visa in the US you can then apply for a change of status and apply for her green card.(permanent residence) thus staying in US.

After permanent residence status is achieved you can return to Thailand and have wedding and register the marriage in Thailand.

Wife and I did it many years ago. If you want her to be able to come to US fastest? Worked for us. Good luck.

• Like 2

First the Tourist visa question

The US embassy will be looking to see what compelling reasons she has to come back, or to stay in the US. From what you have said so far it looks like she will have every reason to stay in the US with her BF and very little return to Thailand.

based on that I doubt it that she will get a tourist visa.

A fiance visa is more realistic, but they will need to provide evidence of relationship, a four month relationship might or might not be enough,

The best way to move forward would be for them to document their relationship, save telephone bills showing him calling her, and or her calling him, if communicating over IM , save transcripts of conversations times and dates\

airline tickets traveling to Thailand, and airline tickets with in Thailand where they might have traveled together

Hotel receipts showing places and dates where they have stayed together

Pictures of them together, and if possible with the rest of her family. etc

I met my now wife while visiting here in Thailand, went back to the US and continued to communicate with her, came back to Thailand and visited again, we traveled with in Thailand and also spend time with her family, we took plenty of pictures, I saved all records of our communications and travels together.,

and when we applied for a fiance visa provided the embassy with indisputable evidence of a relationship, that together with all the other required criteria and a wait of about 8 months secured us a fiance visa for her to come to the US,

Upon arrival in the US we had 3 months to get married,

we applied for a temporary SSN and work permit for her, got married asap and applied for a change of status,

with in 6 months she had her provisional Green Card good for Two years

Before the two years were over we applied for her permanent Green card which she got a year later, joint tax returns, bank accounts and property ownership helped secure her permanent Green Card with out even an interview.

This is the process in a nutshell

The INS is not stupid, they deal with cases like that all the time, they know when some one is trying to game the system, Applying for a tourist visa to get around the migration process, if indeed that is what they are trying to do, will not work.

Getting married in Thailand and then applying for a wife visa, is an other way to go, though I know little about it since we did not go that way,

If they decide to go the fiance visa way, PM me and I will give you a more detailed description of the process as best as I can remember.

Thanks for that detailed response sirenou, I will pass that info on.

Mac

If you marry in Thailand first then it becomes an immigration application. Much more time consuming and difficult.

K-1 visa is a non immigrant visa and takes about 5-6 months. If you marry during the 90 days of the visa in the US you can then apply for a change of status and apply for her green card.(permanent residence) thus staying in US.

After permanent residence status is achieved you can return to Thailand and have wedding and register the marriage in Thailand.

Wife and I did it many years ago. If you want her to be able to come to US fastest? Worked for us. Good luck.

Thanks chirs, I'll also pass that on.

So with just a marriage, is it possible to only get multiple entry non-immigrant visas to the USA (k-3) ? Or do you have to apply for the immigrant visa eventually?.

So with just a marriage, is it possible to only get multiple entry non-immigrant visas to the USA (k-3) ? Or do you have to apply for the immigrant visa eventually?.

Sirineou's post is right on. Great info. Without a compelling reason for her to come back (long term job, real estate, baby/family, etc), the odds of a tourist visa are slim to none.

We asked the embassy what was best. Get married here or back in the US. The reply was DO NOT get married here. More complicated and tougher to get done. The fiance visa is the route they suggested, but that was 10 years ago. Things may have changed.

Like mentioned above, start documenting all their time together. Pics are great. I did an album, including pics of me with her family, in the village, traveling, etc.

I communicated with the embassy off and on through the whole process. They were very good in getting back to me. Even had a face to face with an employee when I was just getting everything going. They were great help.

This is a great website also:

http://www.visajourney.com/

Wifey is now a US citizen. Got this in a very short amount of time, around 4 years.

Best of luck!!

• Like 1

A couple things.

1. K-3 visa is pretty much dead as of ~2010. It used to take years to get the IR-1/CR-1 visa for some reason. They have resolved that. Also, when you file for a K-3 visa, you are simultaneously applying for a CR-1/IR-1 visa anyway by filing the I-130. When the I-130 and I-129F arrive at NVC at the same time (which happens 99+% of the time) NVC closes the I-129F. This is from the U.S. state dept: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2993.html#5

Important Notice: When both petitions have been approved by USCIS and sent to the NVC or when USCIS approves the I-130 before the I-129F, the availability of, as well as the need for, a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends. If the NVC receives both an approved I-130 petition and an approved I-129F petition:

• The nonimmigrant K-3 visa case will be administratively closed.
  • The application process explained below will not be available to the foreign-citizen spouse and cannot be used.
  • The NVC will contact the U.S. citizen sponsor and foreign-citizen spouse, with instructions for processing the IR-1 (or CR-1) immigrant visa. For more information on the immigrant visa process, review the Immigrant Visa for a Spouse webpage.

2. As far as Fiance vs. Spouse visa, It depends on your situation what is the best route for you. K-1 (Fiancee visa) is definitely the quicker route to have someone in the U.S. by ~2-3 months since there is no real processing at NVC. However, the K-1 visa is more expensive in the long run by about $400. Also, the prospective spouse will not be able to work and in some cases not be able to drive until they get the green card after filing adjustment of status in the U.S, which can take another 4-6 months.

As some else posted above, VJ is definitely the place to go for this info. Whenever I post a link to that website here on TVF, the mods remove it. Apparently it violates some TOS rule here.

• Like 1

Kuhn Craig -- Congrats to you and your wife(y) on her US citizenship. As you posted it here where someone wants a TGF to visit him in the USA after a 4 month Internet relationship and a 2 month whirlwind visit to LOS, it may be useful for you to provide the following information even if many years back:

Did your the TGF ever make any tourist visa visits to the USA before you were married and, if so, how long were you 2 together before applying?

How long did you know your wife before you got married in the USA?

How long were you married before you applied for her US citizenship?

Edited by JLCrab

A couple things.

1. K-3 visa is pretty much dead as of ~2010. It used to take years to get the IR-1/CR-1 visa for some reason. They have resolved that. Also, when you file for a K-3 visa, you are simultaneously applying for a CR-1/IR-1 visa anyway by filing the I-130. When the I-130 and I-129F arrive at NVC at the same time (which happens 99+% of the time) NVC closes the I-129F. This is from the U.S. state dept: http://travel.state....pes_2993.html#5

Important Notice: When both petitions have been approved by USCIS and sent to the NVC or when USCIS approves the I-130 before the I-129F, the availability of, as well as the need for, a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends. If the NVC receives both an approved I-130 petition and an approved I-129F petition:

• The application process explained below will not be available to the foreign-citizen spouse and cannot be used.
  • The NVC will contact the U.S. citizen sponsor and foreign-citizen spouse, with instructions for processing the IR-1 (or CR-1) immigrant visa. For more information on the immigrant visa process, review the Immigrant Visa for a Spouse webpage.

2. As far as Fiance vs. Spouse visa, It depends on your situation what is the best route for you. K-1 (Fiancee visa) is definitely the quicker route to have someone in the U.S. by ~2-3 months since there is no real processing at NVC. However, the K-1 visa is more expensive in the long run by about $400. Also, the prospective spouse will not be able to work and in some cases not be able to drive until they get the green card after filing adjustment of status in the U.S, which can take another 4-6 months.

As some else posted above, VJ is definitely the place to go for this info. Whenever I post a link to that website here on TVF, the mods remove it. Apparently it violates some TOS rule here.

Thanks for the detailed info daboyz1. Ill pass it along

Kuhn Craig -- Congrats to you and your wife(y) on her US citizenship. As you posted it here where someone wants a TGF to visit him in the USA after a 4 month Internet relationship and a 2 month whirlwind visit to LOS, it may be useful for you to provide the following information even if many years back:

Did your the TGF ever make any tourist visa visits to the USA before you were married and, if so, how long were you 2 together before applying?

How long did you know your wife before you got married in the USA?

How long were you married before you applied for her US citizenship?

I was one of those crazy ones. Met wifey in August, moved to the US in June. Started the visa process in December.

Because of the rules of the fiance visa, we had to get married within 90 days, I believe. But we did the ceremony here before we left.

I stayed on top of this whole process and applied for things as soon as I could. SS number, green card, and then citizenship. I think we were married some 3 years or so before we applied for citizenship....can't remember the exact time frame though. VJ usually has the timelines all laid out, adjusted for the current situation.

"She was just talking about getting married in Thailand before applying (a cousin's suggestion). Just a wedding at the local amphur office I presume. Im not sure how that would be viewed by the US consulate. "

If applying for a Tourist Visa, being married is almost more difficult than just being a GF. Need even better reasons for returning to Thailand. The presumption might be that by getting a tourist visa, they just want to beat the regular IMMIGRANT visa processing paperwork and time by doing an Adjustment of Status after arrival in the U.S.

Not really a good idea, me thinks.

Mac

the dude did the amphur marry thing 6 months after meeting his hot wife. however the dude hangs in thailand and the wife showed this at her interview a few years ago b4 being awarded a 10 year tourist visa.

A couple things.

1. K-3 visa is pretty much dead as of ~2010. It used to take years to get the IR-1/CR-1 visa for some reason. They have resolved that. Also, when you file for a K-3 visa, you are simultaneously applying for a CR-1/IR-1 visa anyway by filing the I-130. When the I-130 and I-129F arrive at NVC at the same time (which happens 99+% of the time) NVC closes the I-129F. This is from the U.S. state dept: http://travel.state....pes_2993.html#5

is that the website about da visa journey? yes this is a great site for fiance usa visa