Thai Mum Sells Child Bride For B2,000

george

"As for other religions, Islam is the only major religion where the mainstream in this day and age still advocates and practices marriage of young children." - complete and utterr nonsense.........but there's always someone who wants to blame race or religion.

• Like 2

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is said man Thai or farang? Can't help but wonder how desperate the parents were.

Doesn't matter where they come from, this is illegal and immoral. Both parents and the man should face charges as a deterrent to others.

Feel so sorry for the girl to have parents like that, is the whole family bad ? Hopefully there is some family memeber who can protect her.

I just experienced a similar case in my thai wife`s family..

Her sister is married to a thai man, and their son is 28 years old. He just "married" a barely 12 year old girl, with both his and the girls parents` blessing. Even borrowed the money from his dad to pay for her, in traditional thai style.

I of course brought it up when I heard about it, and said that this is absolutely not acceptable for me. The parents did not even understand what was wrong about it, and I was told that this was not unusual, and it was not any of my business.

My wife and I have dropped the contact with them now, and I wonder every day if I should tell the authorities about it.

So far I have chosen to look the other way, but it makes me sick to think about it.

What a sick world we live in.

Is said man Thai or farang? Can't help but wonder how desperate the parents were.

Seeing as the cash involved was only THB 2000....draw your own conclusion, if it was a farang it would cost a lot more, you only need to look at the sin sot amounts being quoted/questioned by posters on TV...

Considering his parents were also brought for questioning, then presume it was a Thai !

A 16th year old girl lost her parents some time ago. Her grandfather took care of her. After the grandfather got sick he suggested her to get married and arranged a marriage with the guy been 24 years and that has polio. The price was 10,000 Baht so that the grandfather could pay the hospital bill. This happens not only to 12-13 years old children but also to a large number of teenage girls.

I feel sick when I read this article

Shameful, absolutely shameful. Sterilise the parents and give them 20 years each. Or sell them to a nice caring hi-so Thai chinese family for 10 years hard domestic labour.

~~~it still violated the law which protects children below the age of 15~~~

Good God... how out of touch are you. Stirring your western sensibilities up. Have another anti-depressant and go and watch Television. Obviously Thaivisa is a bit much for you, you poor old thing...

This is similar to my first gf's aunt.. Her daughter was 13. She sold her to a neighborhood drunk that was 41 years old for 10,000 Baht. The daughter locked herself in her room and refused to go with this guy. Her mother with the help of the groom broke into the room, he carried her to his truck and took her home. Two weeks later he was drunk of course, beat the hell out of her and she ran away to her sister in Bangkok. The mother found out she was with her sister and told her sister to send her back to the drunk because he was demanding his 10,000 Baht back. The 13 year old did not return. The mother lost her 10,000 Baht.

shocking. the sister should have taken her to the police

this would have been a Thai man , as the same thing happened to a friend of mine . She was married and her husband had sex with her baby sitter who was only 14. This happens all the time in this country Many thai men have "the second wife" and this is accepted here. Rural towns seem to be this way more.

I just experienced a similar case in my thai wife`s family..

Her sister is married to a thai man, and their son is 28 years old. He just "married" a barely 12 year old girl, with both his and the girls parents` blessing. Even borrowed the money from his dad to pay for her, in traditional thai style.

I of course brought it up when I heard about it, and said that this is absolutely not acceptable for me. The parents did not even understand what was wrong about it, and I was told that this was not unusual, and it was not any of my business.

My wife and I have dropped the contact with them now, and I wonder every day if I should tell the authorities about it.

So far I have chosen to look the other way, but it makes me sick to think about it.

What a sick world we live in.

Why do you live in Thailand if things that have been done for centuries, so revolt/concern/challenge you and your sensibilities?

I guess Thais are right when they say a farang can never know / understand Thailand.

Amen to that.. with the proviso, that many people move here to live quietly, get on with their lives and not try to change things. If living in a regulated society is so important to you, go back to where you came from and have the government look after you.

Also an element of Wyldian Theory - methinks he doth protest, too much.

Edited by Considered Opinion
  • Like 1

Refused to pay sin sod (thai dowry) when I got married for just this reason, even thou the parents would have giving the money back to us afterwards.

Paying a dowry got to leads some sick people thinking ownership is the result in there crazy minds... Arg. Sickening.

"The man, his parents, and the victim's parents were brought in for questioning."

Since the man and his family has already confessed to the story, believing he has done nothing wrong, how come he is not arrested for rape?

Remember, in a democracy these people can vote too, and according to them there is alot of like minded people around.

The following day, the man came into her room again and forced her to have sex with him.
The man and his relatives protested that he had done nothing wrong.

Beggars belief..... I can think of a crime or two here, what am I missing?

I think that it can be safely assumed that he is Thai, if it was a farang he would have been drawn & quartered, and if there was anything left of him he would probably get 15 - 20 and then deported.

This (Thai families selling their daughters into prostitution) is quite a commonplace occurrence in Thailand.

Daughters are often chattels to be traded at will. Someone wrote, that they are "sick" I agree and to say more (what I really think) would see me banned.

Edited by johnlandy
  • Like 1

Separate out the issues here folks; there are 3:

A: Age of consent. 13 too young? 16 too old? My grandparents tell stories of 14 and 15 year olds getting married in New Zealand back in the 1920's. Not that long ago in most western countries, Japan, China etc. once she got her period, she was a full woman with all that entails.

B: Compulsion: she was raped. No further comment required.

C: Bride Price/sin sot/dowry. An age old system, originally designed to compensate the parents for the effort of raising a daughter/loss of a productive member of the household, and to provide security for the daughter should the marriage go belly up. Probably well bastardised these days in many cases, but that is for the Thais to decide if and how they want to continue the tradition.

• Like 1

If the sin sod was 2,000 baht, I doubt the perp was farang smile.png

There's a question? How many 34 year old foreigners have their parents here in Thailand? They brought the perp and his parents in, as well as the victim's parents. Did you not read the OP?

Another planet??? I can name at least 20 countries where that is happening..starting with Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Mexico, Brazil, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Guatemala.........and most African and Arab countries...and other countries with misery and not education, where money buy everything.

Disgusting! Thai culture or just the need of money?

BOTH ! We all know most of the Thais are just too lazy to work, BUT they all have money to drink Lao every day, smoke (whatever what...), we also see many beggars and "garbage bin jumpers" with very nice/expensive mobiles, etc...

At the other hand i have to admid that the system keeps them dumb and poor, and nobody of those hi-so and government craps gives a shit ! Many of those poor basterds are forced to do bad things to survive.. Of course this is very wrong and sad what happened here and they should punish as well the parents as the guy who "bought" his 13-year old bride !! But again, i'm not surprised that this happens in amazing Thailand!

Also the fact that it's allowed that men can have a bride from... 15 years old is CRAZYNESS, but unfortunately it's Thai culture and "law" (whatever this last word means in TH). There are so many crazy laws in TH that for us, farangs, doesn't make any sense.... Like prostitution is forbidden by law, but it's one of the main incomes in Thailand! and not only in places like Pattaya, Bangkok, Phuket, etc... But in the country side are so many brothels where only LOTS of Thai men come every day.. And do you think government and police don't know this...? lol.... they are on the list of visitors.... shame on Thailand !!

Why do you live in Thailand if things that have been done for centuries

Don't make it right...

I didn't suggest it was right... merely that it hasn't changed much in aeons. My point was, if it is so challenging as a normal behaviour for the locals, why stay here? In fact why come here at all? Surely it can't be good for a faint old white heart weighed down by years of bar girls and cheap booze...

And please, at the end of the day, how many of our "well respected" members came here originally to jump teenage bar girls/boys after getting rid of a 30 year bride turned fat and useless at home? None of them, you say.... LOL.

Up here where I live this is a common pratice my friend.

I do also live up in Isaan, and I can say that what you propose is a lot of bull and crap, and you do just not understand the inviroment that you say that you are living in.....It is NOT AT ALL common practice here in Thailand. It happens, like it happens in all poor and uneducated countries. But insinuating that this is a common thing here is a plain lie, and you should be ashame of yourself.

Of course here as in rest of Asia, daughters are less worth than sons, but that doesn´t mean that thai parents are selling their daughters. If you start to think about it instead before writing.... Daughters are the ones that are designated to take care in first place of the parents... Their sons that are worth much more, can do whatever they like, but it is always the daughters that the parents can depend upon... So sell them like that and for 2.000 baht,,,,,,,

Obviously there are people able to live among thai people for ages, and still do not get it nor understand a shit.... I feel sorry for these individuals.. falang individuals....

glegolo